Message Board Update and Changes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Message Board Update and Changes

Post by Cliff »

The version of message board software we use (phpBB) is sorely out of date. We are currently on version 3.0 and version 3.2.2 is out. This might not seem like a big difference at first glance but it's actually 5 years out of date. This is a pretty big deal due to potential security issues.

Unfortunately, it's going to mean changes to the look of the message board - whether we want them or not. Specifically, due to the fact that we haven't upgraded in so long none of the "styles" (thing that determines overall look of the message board) are supported anymore.

Honestly, this is one of the biggest reasons it hasn't been updated. I'll need to create a new "Vikings" themed style (under way) in addition to the work of actually updating the database/backend stuff (successfully completed in testing).

Anyway, expect the message board to go down for a couple of hours at some point over the next couple of weeks and for it to look completely different after that happens. I might ask for some opinions once I finish design testing before that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Message Board Update and Changes

Post by dead_poet »

Appreciate the update and your efforts, Cliff. Does this come at a cost to you? If so I'd be willing to contribute to the cause.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Nah, only my time which isn't technically free but as far as we're concerned it is! :D

phpBB is open source software (free) but if you can't figure out what's going on they charge for consulting. So for example, if you go to update from version 3.0 to 3.2 and run into an annoying error that turns out to be your web host because GoDaddy has a stupid PHP config. You can either spend several hours working it out or pay them to do it for you.

Fortunately, I've been working with some version of the technology that powers phpBB for nearly 15 years (PHP, SQL, CSS, Linux web server, etc.) so aside from annoyance and time, I think I've got it. My biggest hurdle will be fixing up graphic stuff but I've recently learned how to do that and feel pretty confident with it now. I've also got to change colors and fonts and add Vikings logos, etc., etc. in the CSS for whichever style I pick but that's more of something that will take time rather than being "hard".

I really appreciate the offer though!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Thanks for your hard work Cliff. I love this board and truly appreciate what you and Mike have done here.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote: I've also got to change colors
I know a little something about this and, in my expert opinion, would go with a combination of purple and gold.

You're welcome.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Appreciate the update and your efforts, Cliff. Does this come at a cost to you? If so I'd be willing to contribute to the cause.
We didn't add you to the executive stock options program?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
Cliff wrote: I've also got to change colors
I know a little something about this and, in my expert opinion, would go with a combination of purple and gold.

You're welcome.
I agree with DP. For some reason those colors speak to me.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

No sweat, guys. It is a labor of love!

You know, I was thinking of something in those colors ;)

When I talk about changing colors and stuff, I've got to turn that into something remotely resembling the current site.

Then there will be the people who absolutely *hate* the main layout and will want the old white/blue prosilver 2 stuff (which doesn't really exist anymore either :P).

Luckily I do enjoy this kind of stuff when I have the time to do it. It's like anything else, I suppose. When you put work into something and it pans out the way you intend it to. Good feeling.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

If it makes you feel any better I proactively hate it without having looked at your link.

We fear change.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

dead_poet wrote:If it makes you feel any better I proactively hate it without having looked at your link.

We fear change.

Bring back Usenet!
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's coming along.

Lots of work to do still but what do you think about the banner? Too much? A bit smaller maybe?

Aside from the banner being busted I think I actually like the mobile version better than tapatalk ...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PsyDanny wrote:
dead_poet wrote:If it makes you feel any better I proactively hate it without having looked at your link.

We fear change.

Bring back Usenet!
Lmao.

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cliff wrote:It's coming along.

Lots of work to do still but what do you think about the banner? Too much? A bit smaller maybe?

Aside from the banner being busted I think I actually like the mobile version better than tapatalk ...
Nice. I like the shade of purple. Pretty close to Vikings purple. Is it normal for the page not to stretch the length of the monitor on a desktop? Zooming in fixes this but was just wondering. Guessing it's more for mobile compatibility.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote:It's coming along.

I like it!