Diggs Miracle TD

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikers89
Waterboy

Diggs Miracle TD

Post by Vikers89 »

Hi Y'all,

New here. Just curious how everyone will remember the Diggs Miracle TD? Memorable? Or, ultimately a meaningless footnote because of what happened a week later? Furthermore, do some of you think winning in the fashion they did, caused them to celebrate a bit too much...and thus get crushed in Philly?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Diggs Miracle TD

Post by dead_poet »

It has to go down as one of the biggest, most impactful plays in Vikings history. Obviously it doesn't get the added bonus that would come from a trip to the Super Bowl though. But it hardly minimizes the impact, especially in the moment.

I think they would have lost to Philly even if they won a "normal" game the week before. We were out matched, especially in the trenches. The previous week likely hadittle impact, if any.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

I’m sure it will remain one of my top football moments, I harbour no bitterness about what came next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Still awesome! :v):
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

We're less than 3 months past it and the NFL has already considered it one of the greatest endings to a football game in history. It even has it's own wiki page and is a part of the NFL Lore wiki page. This is also probably due to recency bias, but they placed it #1 in their top 10 Playoff finishes, and boy are a lot of people mad they placed it over the Immaculate Reception or Music City Miracle.

What people don't understand, though, is that those didn't end their respective games. The Minneapolis Miracle was the very first time a playoff game ended in a touchdown with zero seconds on the regulation clock left. Immaculate Reception had 5 and Music City Miracle had 3 left. That's what's so incredible about it. It never happened before in the 98 year history of the league.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I actually almost tear up watching it still. It was probably the happiest single moment of my life.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Best Purple moment in a long, long time. I probably would need to go back to the 1987 playoff upsets of the Saints and 49ers to top it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It was an awesome moment. Gave everyone hope that we really could get to and win the SB.
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

Diggs gets all the praise but that’s one of the strongest throws I’ve seen Keenum make. How did he summon that arm strength in the the 4th quarter and where was it the rest of the season?

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

SkolScot wrote:Diggs gets all the praise but that’s one of the strongest throws I’ve seen Keenum make. How did he summon that arm strength in the the 4th quarter and where was it the rest of the season?

I agree and it was in a perfect spot. It was a good throw.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

It is one of the more memorable plays in NFL history in my opinion. With that said, the Saints defender really blew it on the play. There is just no excuse for him allowing Diggs to make that catch unmolested. Even if he got there early and was flagged for PI, better to do that than completely whiff and leave nobody between Diggs and the end zone.

As far as whether that affected the Vikings in the NFC Championship Game a week later, that is harder to say. Personally, I don't think it did. I think the Vikings were just completely outplayed and outcoached in that game. Foles played as well as a QB can play. He made great decisions under pressure, waited for guys to come open and seemed to be completely aware of the coverage tendencies of the Viking secondary. Everything he threw was on point and super accurate. He was a beast, and he followed up that performance with another exceptional game against the Patriots. He picked a great time to have two games like he did. I have no idea if he can consistently play like that going forward, but at least for those moments in time he played like the best QB in the NFL. And I also think Philly was far more aggressive from a coaching standpoint than either Zimmer or Belichek. They were in it to win it in both games and willing to take chances in key situations that allowed them to win both games. While I was not surprised the Vikings played more not to lose than to win, I was surprised to see the Patriots do it. Usually it was the other way around for them, but I think they clenched up in the Superbowl too.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

It was the best moment in Vikings history for me personally. The only thing that can top it is a SB win.

As far as the NFCC, I think if Keenum didn't turn the ball over twice, it would've been a much closer game.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

It was great on a bunch of levels, but for me it was particularly sweet in that we beat the dirty Saints and their dirty coach, who was mocking the Vikes fans only a few seconds before on the sideline. Revenge, a sweet dish served cold. :rock:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

soflavike wrote:It was great on a bunch of levels, but for me it was particularly sweet in that we beat the dirty Saints and their dirty coach, who was mocking the Vikes fans only a few seconds before on the sideline. Revenge, a sweet dish served cold. :rock:
Mocking the fans instead of coaching an excited rookie safety that a PI call is better than a missed tackle. But Diggs awareness that was the deep safety falling under him and then his balance, bloody perfection. It’s hard not to love Diggs he seems like such a sweet guy but then he makes THAT play - amazing!

SkolScot
Practice Squad

Diggs Miracle TD

Post by SkolScot »

In the endzone Wright runs by Diggs to get the ball before congratulating him - awesome teammate.
The sideline view keeps popping into my twitter feed because of a web by nomination and I watch it every time.