move up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7322
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

move up

Post by Laserman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher
0 x

User avatar
ocampo82
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

Re: move up

Post by ocampo82 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 am

Laserman wrote:Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher

there are a few pass rushers that maybe available later in the 1st--or even in the 2nd--than Chubb. Marcus Davenport and Arden Key are solid prospects.

Since cap space will be tight the next few years I think it's more likely that RIck trades down and accumulates more picks. Two picks in this draft's 2nd round would be great considering the interior lineman that should be available in that range.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: move up

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:00 am

ocampo82 wrote:
Laserman wrote:Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher

there are a few pass rushers that maybe available later in the 1st--or even in the 2nd--than Chubb. Marcus Davenport and Arden Key are solid prospects.

Since cap space will be tight the next few years I think it's more likely that RIck trades down and accumulates more picks. Two picks in this draft's 2nd round would be great considering the interior lineman that should be available in that range.
I don’t know if I see him trading down either. Mainly because if he does, we’re probably out of the first and lose the 5th year option on a player
0 x
Image

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: move up

Post by Norv Zimmer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 am

If they move at all I see them moving down because usually there is some team looking to get back into the end of the first round to secure a guy they want with a guaranteed 5th round option. If Lamar Jackson is still there at 30 I can see someone trading back into the first for him, he has a high upside as an athlete.
0 x

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: move up

Post by Norv Zimmer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am

The only way I see them moving up is for a great OL like Mcglinchey from ND. Why would you say we are in desperate need in pass rushing? Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Hitman, Richardson are all really good at rushing the passer. I agree we need depth at D line but I would rank OL way ahead of DL in terms of need.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: move up

Post by YikesVikes » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 pm

I would prefer to move up in the later rounds. All of these 6th rounders aren't making this team.
0 x

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8404
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: move up

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 pm

I dont see Rick breaking out of his pattern now, after the big signings we have had. He may try and get a few extra picks, but he wont be going for a record.
0 x

User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3700
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

Re: move up

Post by Texas Vike » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00 am

Unless a player that they are absolutely in love with falls, or they get an offer that they can't refuse, I see them standing pat.

It seems to me that Rick and Zim know that DL or OL is where we need the most improvement, and this draft seems pretty strong for both. Furthermore, there are solid prospects projected for the end of the first at those positions.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: move up

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am

Norv Zimmer wrote:The only way I see them moving up is for a great OL like Mcglinchey from ND. Why would you say we are in desperate need in pass rushing? Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Hitman, Richardson are all really good at rushing the passer. I agree we need depth at D line but I would rank OL way ahead of DL in terms of need.
I dont know if Mcglinchey is a "great OL". He was pretty inconsistent on tape. Definitely above average but far from great.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: move up

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am

Texas Vike wrote:Unless a player that they are absolutely in love with falls, or they get an offer that they can't refuse, I see them standing pat.

It seems to me that Rick and Zim know that DL or OL is where we need the most improvement, and this draft seems pretty strong for both. Furthermore, there are solid prospects projected for the end of the first at those positions.
Agreed 100%
0 x
Image

User avatar
Vikefan60
Backup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: move up

Post by Vikefan60 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm

ocampo82 wrote:
Laserman wrote:Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher

there are a few pass rushers that maybe available later in the 1st--or even in the 2nd--than Chubb. Marcus Davenport and Arden Key are solid prospects.

Since cap space will be tight the next few years I think it's more likely that RIck trades down and accumulates more picks. Two picks in this draft's 2nd round would be great considering the interior lineman that should be available in that range.
I agree. If we can swap around and wind up with two mid to high second round picks, I think we may do better than just standing pat. I understand that some want the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder, but those have tended to become very expensive. Unless the player becomes an all Pro, they can be more harm than good.
0 x

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7322
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Re: move up

Post by Laserman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:58 am

I'd just like to see us get both a Def And Off lineman in this draft. Those are two places I think you can never stop addressing
0 x

User avatar
Dakotavike
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: move up

Post by Dakotavike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 am

I personally think this would be a great year to trade down. The problem is that I think there’s a lot of teams in the latter parts of the first round that will be looking to move back. From what I hear this isn’t a year that’s deep with true first round talent. Not everybody can trade back and at some point teams are going to have to make a pick.
0 x

User avatar
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: move up

Post by 720pete » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm

We have already got $36 million invested in our DL for 2018. We need to get some more offensive lineman.
0 x

YikesVikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am

Re: move up

Post by YikesVikes » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:48 pm

720pete wrote:We have already got $36 million invested in our DL for 2018. We need to get some more offensive lineman.
Can't think of a team as just 1 year. Next year Richardson won't be back and you will be paying a premium for his position again. 3 tech is as important as any position on the field. Don't rule out a 3 tech to groom like Hurst. If I had to put my money on it, our draft pick will be Price due to his versatility. We love versatility on the Oline (to a fault).
0 x