Wright Released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet »

Per Tomasson, Wright could re-sign at a lower salary. Door not closed.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

dead_poet wrote:Per Tomasson, Wright could re-sign at a lower salary. Door not closed.
I hope so.....with Diggs missing 2-3 games a year we need an experienced, reliable, guy. Treadwell is obviously not that guy.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

We will still need to look at WR no matter what. Treadwell hasn't shown much and neither has Wright. I expected more of him. He has shown some great things in one or two games, but overall he has shown little. When Diggs is out what has Wright done?

I'm not a hater, but I don't think he's worth the money. Keep him if he takes a cut.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

They should bring back Moritz!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I still have a lot of confidence in Treadwell. With Diggs and Thielen being very capable to work out of the slot, I'd like to see Treadwell on the outside more this year. Agreed, we need to draft one in the middle rounds but overall, I know Treadwell can ball. He showed it in college. It's just hard to get an opportunity right now with Diggs and Thielen in front of him. I imagine Flip will find a way to utilize him this year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter. This guy should have seen the Field Way more than he did. Not a good move. Treadwell is a bust, get rid of him
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Laserman wrote:The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter.
Wow. On a team that currently has Diggs and Thielen, that's quite a statement.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:They should bring back Moritz!
[Ron Howard voice]

"They shouldn't"
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote:I realize I'm a bigger Wright hater than most here for lack of a better word. But the guy had SIX years to solidify himself as something more than a one catch a game type of player. He had 18 receptions last year. And 11 the year before. Maybe someone else can utilize him better but he was very overpaid for his production here.
I agree. It sounds like over the years he has been very strong in the "culture" department and that is probably why he lasted as long as he did. But at this point, he just isn't worth his cap value. I wish him the best and hope he can catch on elsewhere. Perhaps coaching is in his future?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Laserman wrote:The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter. This guy should have seen the Field Way more than he did. Not a good move. Treadwell is a bust, get rid of him
Disagree. Wright was carrying a decent sized contract and has hit his ceiling. Treadwell has not. And AGAIN, it's pretty hard to live up to your first round selection when you have two of the best WRs in the NFL in front of you. Everyone called Trae Waynes a bust too and look how much he improved in year 3. Why cant we give Treadwell that chance? This is why you dont just cut high draft picks prematurely.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Laserman wrote:The only Other WR that caught more clutch Passes was Chris Carter. This guy should have seen the Field Way more than he did. Not a good move. Treadwell is a bust, get rid of him
Disagree. Wright was carrying a decent sized contract and has hit his ceiling. Treadwell has not. And AGAIN, it's pretty hard to live up to your first round selection when you have two of the best WRs in the NFL in front of you. Everyone called Trae Waynes a bust too and look how much he improved in year 3. Why cant we give Treadwell that chance? This is why you dont just cut high draft picks prematurely.
You make no sense. Its hard for a 1st round WR to make any impact in a game, but Wright can make clutch catches every single games? Treadwell s a bust and will be gone the instant we dont lose money cutting him, Hopefully they give Coley or a rookie the chance to have any passes that would be thrown Treadwells game. Or maybe we get Wright back for a little cheaper.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I thought Jarius Wright had pretty good game but he hasn't been able to translate that into a full time role. The fact is he's gotten 29 receptions for 265 yards and 3 TDs in the last *two* seasons and we're not going to miss his production because it was basically non-existent. You know what you've got in Jarius after 6 seasons.

Treadwell needs to get on the field more and he's going into year 3 which is the generally agreed upon time frame for a WR. Also - Treadwell is super young. I saw a stat (that I can't find verification of) that Treadwell was the 9th youngest WR *in 2017*. He’s 22 years old. Every other player drafted by the Vikings in 2016 is 2-3 years older than him, by comparison. The average age for a WR to have peak (very good) seasons is 25-29 according to an article I found on the subject.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
You make no sense. Its hard for a 1st round WR to make any impact in a game, but Wright can make clutch catches every single games? Treadwell s a bust and will be gone the instant we dont lose money cutting him, Hopefully they give Coley or a rookie the chance to have any passes that would be thrown Treadwells game. Or maybe we get Wright back for a little cheaper.
lol every single game huh? And I specifically remember Treadwell making a few 3rd down catches this year along with an amazing 1 handed catch vs. GB that put us near the 50. And we dont lose money if we trade him. So if they wanted to, they would have traded him.

I dont make sense?? YOU should know that calling a player a bust going into his 3rd season could come back to bite you just like Waynes did. I kept saying how it takes CBs a while to adjust to Zim's system and understand how to play in it. All you ever did was constantly complain about Waynes and say how we messed up passing on Peters, etc. 1.) Peters wouldve never lasted with Zim. 2.) He's already been traded and it goes to show how much of a problem he is. 3.) Waynes has made giants jumps and now you're eating crow.

Funny thing is, Waynes didnt have much in front of him to compete with. He had an old Terrance Newman. That's it. Treadwell has two of the best WRs in the game along with a good TE. When he's on the field, he's usually the 4th-5th read when you include the RB. Pretty hard to get targets when that's the case. When Diggs was out for two games, Treadwell had 7 catches for 79 yards and hauled in 7 out of 8 targets. Treadwell has a high ceiling that he can still hit. Wright's ceiling is maxed out. I didnt dislike Wright. He did make some big catches, but I dont believe that's something Treadwell cant do. He's never going to play over Thielen or Diggs. So you arent going to see gaudy numbers unless one is out. But why would we look into that?

This is just another classic PK comment. You continue to just look at the surface of things. Never research, never look in-depth, never try to find the "why", just always judging a book by it's cover. You did it with Kirk Cousins and his record, you did it with Waynes in his first two years, you did it with Latavius Murray, you've done it with Spielman and Zim and now you're doing it with Treadwell. And you've ate crow on 3 of them and will probably continue to eat crow on more after the 2018 season gets going. Maybe people on here would take your posts more seriously if you actually put some thought and research into them. And didnt just blurt out the first thing that comes to your mind. It usually never bodes well for you
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:This is just another classic PK comment. You continue to just look at the surface of things. Never research, never look in-depth, never try to find the "why", just always judging a book by it's cover.
Keep the conversation to the topic and not what you think about someone or their posting style. Nobody is forcing you to take him seriously or even read his posts at all so there's no need for the personal comments.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:This is just another classic PK comment. You continue to just look at the surface of things. Never research, never look in-depth, never try to find the "why", just always judging a book by it's cover.
Keep the conversation to the topic and not what you think about someone or their posting style. Nobody is forcing you to take him seriously or even read his posts at all so there's no need for the personal comments.
I get what you're saying Cliff. That's my fault. I guess it's just frustrating when you have a fan come at you with something they've researched next to nothing on. And it isnt the first time. While I'm pulling out in-depth statistics, providing reasoning, etc., he comes out with "you make no sense" and "he's a bust". But that reasoning is suppose to make sense? It's just that if you're going to throw that word "bust" out there, at least back it up, make sense of it, research, something. The dude is going to crap out feathers if he eats any more crow within the year.
-Chazz Palminteri