Wright Released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24550
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 pm

S197 wrote:I realize I'm a bigger Wright hater than most here for lack of a better word. But the guy had SIX years to solidify himself as something more than a one catch a game type of player. He had 18 receptions last year. And 11 the year before. Maybe someone else can utilize him better but he was very overpaid for his production here.
Take it how you want but he didn't get a lot of snaps in order to prove himself. He produced when called upon. Hard to ask for much more than that.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3462
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Released

Post by 808vikingsfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:Maybe they are excited about Treadwell?
I hope this is a joke. Im personally hoping Treadwell is on another team, he and Floyd are just awful.
I believe there is a lot of dead money if they cut him. I don't think he's leaving this year.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11370
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Released

Post by S197 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:Maybe they are excited about Treadwell?
I hope this is a joke. Im personally hoping Treadwell is on another team, he and Floyd are just awful.
I believe there is a lot of dead money if they cut him. I don't think he's leaving this year.
Yup, around $2.5M I think.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24550
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:Maybe they are excited about Treadwell?
I hope this is a joke. Im personally hoping Treadwell is on another team, he and Floyd are just awful.
I believe there is a lot of dead money if they cut him. I don't think he's leaving this year.
Treadwell isn't going anywhere. He actually improved last year. Got open fairly well but wasn't an early read. This will be a big camp and year for him.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11370
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Wright Released

Post by S197 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:I realize I'm a bigger Wright hater than most here for lack of a better word. But the guy had SIX years to solidify himself as something more than a one catch a game type of player. He had 18 receptions last year. And 11 the year before. Maybe someone else can utilize him better but he was very overpaid for his production here.
Take it how you want but he didn't get a lot of snaps in order to prove himself. He produced when called upon. Hard to ask for much more than that.
He was a guy that produced in spurts. He did well in the postseason but he'd also disappear for many games. This was with multiple QB's and OC's.

To me he was always in this gray area of not really a #3 WR but also not really contributing anything ancillary. Take Thielen as an example. The guy started from the outside looking in but he was really good on special teams. Eventually he climbed the ladder and blew right past Wright. To me Wright had his chance, it's not like this team was stacked at WR for the last 6 years. Our two top guys are a late round pick and a UDFA. If they can separate themselves from the pack, I think Wright also had ample time and opportunity to do so. He never did.

I realize it's not a popular opinion but we should be able to find a guy that can run a slant route and convert a 3rd down every blue moon for less than $2.6M a year. If he offered something else (solid in run blocking, special teams, etc.) I think he would still be with the team. He was simply too one dimensional to warrant keeping around.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24550
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm

S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:I realize I'm a bigger Wright hater than most here for lack of a better word. But the guy had SIX years to solidify himself as something more than a one catch a game type of player. He had 18 receptions last year. And 11 the year before. Maybe someone else can utilize him better but he was very overpaid for his production here.
Take it how you want but he didn't get a lot of snaps in order to prove himself. He produced when called upon. Hard to ask for much more than that.
He was a guy that produced in spurts. He did well in the postseason but he'd also disappear for many games. This was with multiple QB's and OC's.

To me he was always in this gray area of not really a #3 WR but also not really contributing anything ancillary. Take Thielen as an example. The guy started from the outside looking in but he was really good on special teams. Eventually he climbed the ladder and blew right past Wright. To me Wright had his chance, it's not like this team was stacked at WR for the last 6 years. Our two top guys are a late round pick and a UDFA. If they can separate themselves from the pack, I think Wright also had ample time and opportunity to do so. He never did.

I realize it's not a popular opinion but we should be able to find a guy that can run a slant route and convert a 3rd down every blue moon for less than $2.6M a year. If he offered something else (solid in run blocking, special teams, etc.) I think he would still be with the team. He was simply too one dimensional to warrant keeping around.
That's fair. What percentage of snaps was he getting the last couple of years? 30%? I'm not sure it was entirely his fault the organization saw him as a slot guy only. It was a crowded group the last two years. And with Diggs/AT seeing more time in the slot, he couldn't get on. As you said, there were others simply better. He did something Wright (ugh) to earn his contract extension. Hopefully Treadwell or Coley pick up the slack. Coley is pretty quick and a decent route runner. I think he has a chance. Maybe Treadwell can play a Colston-like roll or something.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24550
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm

*Remember Me" from Coco playing in the background

https://twitter.com/Skolviking75/status ... 70304?s=19
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18485
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm

dead_poet wrote:*Remember Me" from Coco playing in the background

https://twitter.com/Skolviking75/status ... 70304?s=19
Was that Sheldon Richardson that he ran past?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24550
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Wright Released

Post by dead_poet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
dead_poet wrote:*Remember Me" from Coco playing in the background

https://twitter.com/Skolviking75/status ... 70304?s=19
Was that Sheldon Richardson that he ran past?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Good eye.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Dmizzle0
Transition Player
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Re: Wright Released

Post by Dmizzle0 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 pm

That sucks, Wright was a very reliable receiver.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5382
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Wright Released

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:Maybe they are excited about Treadwell?
I hope this is a joke. Im personally hoping Treadwell is on another team, he and Floyd are just awful.
Again, it’s hard when you have two of the better WRs in the nfl in front of you and when you’re on the field you’re the 4th-5th read.
0 x
Image

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18485
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am

It still sucks. Wright did everything they asked and he did it well. I hope he flourishes, unless he goes to Green Bay.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

tzinc
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: Wright Released

Post by tzinc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm

first mistake in this offseason
he wasn't making a ton of money
what happens if one of the two starting wrs gets hurt
this guy was dependable the opposite of treadwell and floyd they suck

don't get cheap now it's dumb
0 x

mike2mike
Starter
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Wright Released

Post by mike2mike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 pm

This was totally and unequivocally inevitable after signing Cousins AND Richardson.
The only other cap saving moves available are:
1)cutting Robison
2)cutting Murray (he already took a pay cut)
3)asking Rudolph to take a pay cut and if not cutting him
4)cutting Sendejo
5)Trading one or more of Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks, Waynes or Barr.... with Sheldon Richardson as a one year deal, and Cousins getting less money up front, that signals we are aggressively in on 2018 and therefore willing to poetneitally lose one of these players only for s 2020 compensatory pick rather than play without them in exchange for more.
6)Extending Barr and restructuring 2018. I don't know if this isn't possible or not since his 2018 salary is now fully guarenteed but I would imagine it might be possible to move some of that guarenteed money into the future in an extention and even add more guarenteed in a longer term deal so that less money goes towards 2018. This basically has the same effect as backloading in that it exchanges short term relief for long term problems.


Obviously it is going to be Wright over these decisions and these decisions are not off the table either. We are in a position where every million counts and the betting the drafts right is a must for the long term benefit of salary cap. Even so we will lose an important player after this year unless one of the most plays really bad or gets hurt and/or takes a hometown discount.

Diggs and Thielen can play inside when needed and Treadwell would cost money against the cap to get rid of. Furthermore, Treadwell is the only big physical WR who will play a role in the natural pick plays and catching in traffic in the bunch formations that the Eagles ran last year and DeFillipo is expected to as well. (I expect either a practice squad type player like Caleb Jones or an undrafted rookie or a drafted rookie will be added to compete with Treadwell for playing time or at least to be stuck on a practice squad to develop)
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18485
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Wright Released

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm so glad you aren't the Vikings GM.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

Post Reply