Vikings sign Richardson (For real)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings sign Richardson (For real)

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Conversation

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Former Seahawks’ and Jets’ DT Sheldon Richardson reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings, per source.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings sign Richardson (For real)

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

9m

Vikings knew how to recruit Sheldon Richardson. Picked him up on private plane Thursday, then had him have lunch with new QB Kirk Cousins before either had even signed with Minnesota.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

20m

Kirk Cousins on offense. Sheldon Richardson on defense. Good week for Vikings.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Holy buckets! Are you kidding me?

This organization is for-real trying to win. Love it!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

I was iffy on him with a report out there that he was seeking 15 million after already having an offer from SEA for 11 million. He has an interesting little joy ride from 2014. Questionable decision making to say the least but hopefully he learned from that and moved on as a person.

Here's a link to that story
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2535 ... on-jets-dt

He ranks as the 27th best interior defender in 2017 per PFF. To give you some context Aaron Donald is #1, Fletcher Cox is #3, Linval Joseph is #11 and Tom Johnson is #60.

Certainly an upgrade on the field and you gotta like that he gets the same money thrown at him from SEA and us and chooses us without even taking a second visit

I like using his services for one year , drafting a top 5 three tech in the first round this year and then let Richardson walk next year in order to retain as many of our players in 2019 as we can.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

No!

Draft an O-lineman.

First-rounders are meant to play now. We addressed the 3-tech, and now have a greater need on the O-line than we do the D-line. Worry about a replacement for Richardson when the time comes. Go get Elflein's buddy, Billy Price, and make our world better now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

Sure, but go get Price in the second where he's currently dropping. I'd rather get value versus forcing one position or the other.

How about a top 5 DT and a top 5 G/C with the first two picks (even if it means moving up some in the 2nd)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:No!

Draft an O-lineman.

First-rounders are meant to play now. We addressed the 3-tech, and now have a greater need on the O-line than we do the D-line. Worry about a replacement for Richardson when the time comes. Go get Elflein's buddy, Billy Price, and make our world better now.
Don't be surprised if the Vikings make a low profile signing to address RG and then don't draft a single OL.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I like that he's been consistently above average and even near elite in some years. Certainly an upgrade from Johnson no doubt. He and Jaleel will make for a nice rotation. I wonder if we bring back Stephen now? I think he's a good backup to Linval at a cheap price.

1yr @ $11M seems like the market price for a guy like him, the Vikings definitely are going all in this season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:I like that he's been consistently above average and even near elite in some years. Certainly an upgrade from Johnson no doubt. He and Jaleel will make for a nice rotation. I wonder if we bring back Stephen now? I think he's a good backup to Linval at a cheap price.

1yr @ $11M seems like the market price for a guy like him, the Vikings definitely are going all in this season.
Doubtful. Stephen is on a visit, per Rick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings new practice facilities are a big selling point.

https://twitter.com/DavidMcCoyWCCO/stat ... 43810?s=19
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings new practice facilities are a big selling point.

https://twitter.com/DavidMcCoyWCCO/stat ... 43810?s=19
That's awesome!
mael·strom

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:I like that he's been consistently above average and even near elite in some years. Certainly an upgrade from Johnson no doubt. He and Jaleel will make for a nice rotation. I wonder if we bring back Stephen now? I think he's a good backup to Linval at a cheap price.

Doubtful. Stephen is on a visit, per Rick.
Yeah, when they digned Dylan 'suchandsuch' who was on the practice squad last year, I figured that meant they were signing Richardson and letting Johnson and Stephen go. The backup DTs will be playing for peanuts (in relative terms for the NFL) and hopefully one of them will pan out sufficiently to clear all the cap space and let Richardson go elsewhere. I assume that will also likely be good for a compensatory pick in 2020?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

$8 million base with an additional $3 million available in incentives. Seattle offering $6.5 million per year.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I cant believe we got Richardson. Thought it was just a dream. A good finish to that dream would be to get Price and 1 other really good guy for the Oline.