Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million deal

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I often feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to win in the NFL, much less get to a Super Bowl.
I feel as though anyone who has been a Vikings fan for any meaningful amount of time can appreciate this to a much greater degree than most other teams.
I think it makes us want it more, less patient and unwilling to accept much less until it happens.
That's a good point. I have absolutely zero patience anymore. I've seen enough average to good Viking teams to last my lifetime. Championship or bust.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Is it Just me or does anybody Else Wonder why The Redskins didn't want Cousins and would not give him a long term Deal? You gotta wonder a Little ????
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Again I don’t buy the whole “saints second half thing”. We had a punt blocked and threw a pick all inside the 50 and they got 2 tds off of it. How is that on the defense. We only gave up one true TD that game. The rest were caused by bonehead plays. Philly yeah they played horrible but many like to throw the saints game out there and that’s not the case. It’s no easy task no matter how good you are to stop Drew Brees from scoring inside the 50
How is that on the defense? Force a 3 & out. Force a FG-- maybe the guy misses. Worst case if he makes it it's only 3 instead of 7. I guess if it's no easy task to stop Drew Brees, we shouldn't expect our guys to do it, or be concerned if they can't.

How about a 3rd & 1 play where we left Kumara wide open with a TD for the taking, but Snead misfired. Nothing to worry about folks, that was a 3&out so it's all good.

We only gave up one true TD, huh? Well, I guess we have nothing to be concerned over. What about an 11 play 50 yard drive starting at their 25 for a FG to go ahead with only 25s left to play??? Just because we gave them great field position on 2 of the TD's doesn't mean they would have stopped a drive had it started on their own 25 yard line.

Me? I get the whole "saints second half thing".
Craig S
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:That's a good point. I have absolutely zero patience anymore. I've seen enough average to good Viking teams to last my lifetime. Championship or bust.

That's where I'm at too. I ran out of patience years ago!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Laserman wrote:Is it Just me or does anybody Else Wonder why The Redskins didn't want Cousins and would not give him a long term Deal? You gotta wonder a Little ????
Probalby a tough questions to answer, it was probably a little of the Redskins dont want to commit to someone they havnt had really much success with. I think more likely after Kirks first good year and the Skins didnt give him the contract he wanted spurned him when after the next year he played well they offerened him the same contract. Also, I think Daniel Snyder is a #### owner and Kirk didnt want to commit to a orginazation.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

To me the reason they didn't keep him is simple: he didn't want to be on the team and he was a free agent. They already *had* franchised him twice. To me it had a lot more to do with Cousins not wanting Washington than Washington not wanting Cousins.

Hopefully the Vikings keep winning and we don't have to experience that side of him.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Cliff wrote:To me the reason they didn't keep him is simple: he didn't want to be on the team and he was a free agent. They already *had* franchised him twice. To me it had a lot more to do with Cousins not wanting Washington than Washington not wanting Cousins.

Hopefully the Vikings keep winning and we don't have to experience that side of him.
It is a really long 3 year story. I mean really long. How to summarize in a couple paragraphs. Probably can't.

Kirk was drafted 4th round because Shanahan didn't believe in RG3 but was forced by the fanboy owner to give away a million picks to get the superstar. Eventually the owner and Bruce Allen were "convinced' by Scott McCloughan to start Kirk. They didn't like it because Kirk wasn't their pick. They didn't like Scott because he got credit for improving the team, not them. He got fired.

Kirk played great second half of 15, went on a tear. They low balled him at around 12M a year, his agent countered at 19. The FO "needed to see more" and rather than giving him a long term deal, franchised him. The next year he tore it up again. Still, somehow they didn't believe in him, low-balled him and Kirk didn't bite, they franchised him again. Then the FO put out a vindictive, childish presser essentially calling him greedy and throwing their franchise QB under the bus.

After the 3rd time Bruce Allen gave Kirk the finger in July '17, Kirk, I believe, decided he was going to free agency. Not necessarily to leave the Skins but he decided that he wasn't going to allow Bruce, who's only interest in anything is to win the deal, to determine his value and future. He was going to let the market decide his worth and end the debate. Then he could negotiate with the team. They however traded for Smith, probably knowing that they destroyed the relationship and Allen's ego wouldn't allow him to correct it.

So in the end I think Kirk had no respect for the FO. I think that is warranted. Given the choice he would probably move on and not be associated with them anymore. I don't think that was the case until late 2017 given all the interviews and press related to it. I think Kirk thought once the market determined his value, that Bruce would negotiate like a normal FO and was surprised by the trade. At least he said the trade for Smith surprised him.

So Washington wanted him but only for 19M and a two year out. Typical Bruce Allen win the deal contract.

Time to dye my Cousins jersey purple.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:
Cliff wrote:To me the reason they didn't keep him is simple: he didn't want to be on the team and he was a free agent. They already *had* franchised him twice. To me it had a lot more to do with Cousins not wanting Washington than Washington not wanting Cousins.

It is a really long 3 year story. I mean really long. How to summarize in a couple paragraphs. Probably can't.

Kirk was drafted 4th round because Shanahan didn't believe in RG3 but was forced by the fanboy owner to give away a million picks to get the superstar. Eventually the owner and Bruce Allen were "convinced' by Scott McCloughan to start Kirk. They didn't like it because Kirk wasn't their pick. They didn't like Scott because he got credit for improving the team, not them. He got fired.

Kirk played great second half of 15, went on a tear. They low balled him at around 12M a year, his agent countered at 19. The FO "needed to see more" and rather than giving him a long term deal, franchised him. The next year he tore it up again. Still, somehow they didn't believe in him, low-balled him and Kirk didn't bite, they franchised him again. Then the FO put out a vindictive, childish presser essentially calling him greedy and throwing their franchise QB under the bus.

After the 3rd time Bruce Allen gave Kirk the finger in July '17, Kirk, I believe, decided he was going to free agency. Not necessarily to leave the Skins but he decided that he wasn't going to allow Bruce, who's only interest in anything is to win the deal, to determine his value and future. He was going to let the market decide his worth and end the debate. Then he could negotiate with the team. They however traded for Smith, probably knowing that they destroyed the relationship and Allen's ego wouldn't allow him to correct it.

So in the end I think Kirk had no respect for the FO. I think that is warranted. Given the choice he would probably move on and not be associated with them anymore. I don't think that was the case until late 2017 given all the interviews and press related to it. I think Kirk thought once the market determined his value, that Bruce would negotiate like a normal FO and was surprised by the trade. At least he said the trade for Smith surprised him.

So Washington wanted him but only for 19M and a two year out. Typical Bruce Allen win the deal contract.

Wow. Pretty messed up. Good to know the truth behind all of that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:

Thanks for the run down.

I am very excited to see how Cousins does with a team and FO that respects him and wants him. Seems like the Vikings are an ideal fit for what he was seeking.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:

I liked your post, but your username is brilliant. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were me.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
S197 wrote:That's a good point. I have absolutely zero patience anymore. I've seen enough average to good Viking teams to last my lifetime. Championship or bust.

That's where I'm at too. I ran out of patience years ago!
Me too and I am not as old you you, Jim. I can't imagine what you and my dad have been through.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote:

That's the impression I got from looking from the outside, Wsh probably didn't realize Cousins worth until it was too late. I often used the RG3/Cousins example as to why you always draft a mid-round guy even if you think you have your QB. Something the Vikings never did for years, but I digress. At least last year and this year the QB depth looks much improved. Still hoping they bring in a guy to challenge Sloter but I'm not holding my breath.

Another Viking fan is always welcome! Hope you're a glutton for punishment :evil:
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

S197 wrote:
Fat Stupid Loser wrote:

That's the impression I got from looking from the outside, Wsh probably didn't realize Cousins worth until it was too late. I often used the RG3/Cousins example as to why you always draft a mid-round guy even if you think you have your QB. Something the Vikings never did for years, but I digress. At least last year and this year the QB depth looks much improved. Still hoping they bring in a guy to challenge Sloter but I'm not holding my breath.

Another Viking fan is always welcome! Hope you're a glutton for punishment :evil:
Yes, to want to see more after 15 wasn't unreasonable on the FO's part, but to screw it up in 16 and then AGAIN in 17 is just mind boggling and just the latest episode of dumb in the great book of Redskins Dumb since 1991. They have drained every drop of care out of me. I'm going to keep cheering for Kirk.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Tying the Purple Knot

https://spark.adobe.com/page/Su294yKCnYAaU/
Nice read, thanks. Six different starters in six years is crazy. Absolutely unheard of unless maybe you're the Browns. Pretty amazing what sort of success the team has had despite the turnover at QB. Hopefully the streak will finally end.