Brees AND Teddy for less than Cousins?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Brees AND Teddy for less than Cousins?

Post by mike2mike »

Okay so there is a big asterisk here but
1 yr deal to Brees $33M. The Saints cannot match with their cap space.
3yr deal MINIMAL up front but mostly guarenteed up front to Teddy with lots of incentives and not a lot guaranteed after year 1 for about $17M a year.
Total per year for 2 QBs= $84M over 3 years.
Average per year? $28M. With cousins expecting to fall in that range or even $30M a year it would be less than Cousins with a LOT more flexibility.
We could trade or release Teddy if there is interest and health recovers and extend Brees a year or pay a little bit more (but not a lot because if we extend Brees, Teddy won't likely earn his incentives)
It's possibly a tough sell for Teddy but this needn't be a deal exclusive to Teddy.
The selling point is, you will start after Brees if you are healthy and ready to go and we will still pay you like a starter if you get your health right. We still do believe in you and you can call this place home and you have a real chance to win a Super Bowl.

The Vikings only end up paying Teddy like a starter if he is our best option otherwise someone else will trade for Teddy as a starter if he recovers and impresses.
Vikes probably want to test Teddy as a franchise QB and Teddy probably wants to be able to cash in on free agency in his prime at 28 years old after his next contract is up

Brees would only be a one year deal and because he'd be a 1 year deal, we don't actually get him over 3 years unless we trade Teddy after year one and extend Brees or pay a little to a lot more.
I assume we have to pay Brees a premium to get him for one year because it is less guaranteed and he may prefer a longer term deal with all things equal.

This buys the Vikings time and gives them flexibility to figure out a long term QB if it isn't Teddy, gives them firepower to win a super bowl this upcoming year and 2019 playoffs, and gives them more financial flexibility than they were prepared to have with Couisins...

And perhaps we can also get Keenum on a similar deal or Bradford on a cheaper one if you would prefer instead.
Just an idea.
mike2mike
Starter

Re: Brees AND Teddy for less than Cousins?

Post by mike2mike »

Also in this scenario we probably wait to extend one or more of Barr, Hunter, Kendricks, Diggs or don't give them a lot up front and/or other deals would have to be light in year one and heavier in year 2 and 3 and more guarenteed perhaps as a result. But overall it doesn't change a lot if you are watching how we spend money total over the next 3 years since Cousins would be or would have been $30M fully guarenteed.

Vikings have contacted Tom Condon about Brees.
Saints have until Wednesday to sign him or Brees gets $18M instead of just $8M it sounds like.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I don't think Brews would leave NO for a one year deal. He's looking to play 2 or 3 years more. We would have to wow him to get him to leave. I think our chances of la ding him are low. I would gladly sacrifice Murray's 5 million to give Brees to get him here but sometimes it's not about the money only for some players.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I really don’t want Teddy at all to be honest. Maybe as a backup but he’ll have suitors out of desperation so getting him as a backup is slim. I love the kid but time to move on
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I really don’t want Teddy at all to be honest. Maybe as a backup but he’ll have suitors out of desperation so getting him as a backup is slim. I love the kid but time to move on
I winder if he'll get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere? Doesn't Arizona need a QB? Any team would take a giant risk for him for sure.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I really don’t want Teddy at all to be honest. Maybe as a backup but he’ll have suitors out of desperation so getting him as a backup is slim. I love the kid but time to move on
I winder if he'll get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere? Doesn't Arizona need a QB? Any team would take a giant risk for him for sure.

Yes, Arizona needs a QB. They're also linked to Cousins.

I'm guessing Teddy will go somewhere to compete with a rookie or veteran of "backup" quality. A team can't sign him to be their unquestioned starter with his medicals.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Yes, Arizona needs a QB. They're also linked to Cousins.

I'm guessing Teddy will go somewhere to compete with a rookie or veteran of "backup" quality. A team can't sign him to be their unquestioned starter with his medicals.
Exactly. I continue to say that but for some reason, there’s still fans that think he’s going to be a stud. Way to big of a question mark for my liking
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

YikesVikes wrote:I don't think Brews would leave NO for a one year deal. He's looking to play 2 or 3 years more. We would have to wow him to get him to leave. I think our chances of la ding him are low. I would gladly sacrifice Murray's 5 million to give Brees to get him here but sometimes it's not about the money only for some players.
A one yr deal could mean a 2 year deal with one of those being an option that wouldn't cost us anything and if we elect that option then we'd trade or release Teddy or else pay significantly more at QB at that point.
However, they're now saying Brees made significant steps towards re-signing with the Saints.
Meanwhile Keenum is expected to sign with Denver, Andrew Norwell to Jags and Murray is supposedly going to be asked to take a pay cut or be released.
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

Oops, Brees just signed with the Saints. Close thread
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Closed
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly