2018 Free Agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
You have to be kidding me. With very little work, Rogers is going to make Graham look better then he ever has been. You dont think their OC can mask a few plays to fit Jimmy? With maybe the best QB in the entire NFL (Brady is best but Rogers is a close second) it will not be a problem. QBs problems are on the D side of the ball, not the O side.
So they have Grahama and Adams WR. Who else? They just cut Jordy Nelson. They have nothing at RB, their OL is in tatters and the only legit starters on their defense are an aging Mathews and Daniels. Graham is a flashy signing of an aged veteran who hasn't performed in at least 3 seasons. They've done nothing to address their numerous woes.
Their O-line is in tatters? Bahktiari is a beast. Buluga is solid. Spriggs is a promising young player. Taylor and Evans are average. They aren't amazing as a unit but they're fine. Certainly not in tatters IMO. I freaking hate/respect Bahkiari. He always seems to get the best of Griffen.

You're right that they need to add another receiving threat but Graham will be a force if he can stay healthy, particularly in the red zone.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sheldon Richardson - DL - Free Agent
Free agent DT Sheldon Richardson is continuing his visit with the Vikings on Friday.

The Vikings are putting the press on him; Richardson met with GM Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer when he arrived in town Thursday, and he's expected back at the facility today to meet others in the organization. After signing Kirk Cousins, Richardson would be another home run signing and cement the Vikings atop the NFC along with the Eagles. Richardson is reportedly looking for $15 million per year, but no team has been willing to offer it at this point.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

mansquatch wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
You have to be kidding me. With very little work, Rogers is going to make Graham look better then he ever has been. You dont think their OC can mask a few plays to fit Jimmy? With maybe the best QB in the entire NFL (Brady is best but Rogers is a close second) it will not be a problem. QBs problems are on the D side of the ball, not the O side.
So they have Grahama and Adams WR. Who else? They just cut Jordy Nelson. They have nothing at RB, their OL is in tatters and the only legit starters on their defense are an aging Mathews and Daniels. Graham is a flashy signing of an aged veteran who hasn't performed in at least 3 seasons. They've done nothing to address their numerous woes.
They do have 12 draft picks, so that may be where they intend to lay their groundwork.

Kind of like the team to the west of them.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Richard Knapp, Richardson has signed with the Vikings. 3-year contract.

https://twitter.com/ImRKnapp/status/974 ... 43744?s=19
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

mansquatch wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
And are probably the favourites to win the division.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote:Per Richard Knapp, Richardson has signed with the Vikings. 3-year contract.

Wow that is interesting...Is the guy legit?
If we got Richardson I would say FA is probably over for us. :thumbsup:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:
dead_poet wrote:Per Richard Knapp, Richardson has signed with the Vikings. 3-year contract.

I'm checking twitter non-stop to see if this is legit or not
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote:

Doesn't look legit to me, but getting Richardson may still happen.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

I guess we're addressing the entire offensive line problem through the draft, then.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

720pete wrote:I guess we're addressing the entire offensive line problem through the draft, then.
Well it's mostly the interior I would say. Tackles are fairly set unless Remmers kicks inside and Elflein is cemented in at center. It's not like we have to address the entire OL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We are down one position, RG. Easton was resigned. We have depth at Tackle in the form of Rashod Hill. If Berger retires and Sirles is not resigned we lack depth at RG. So if you are saying we are addressing a single position of need as the "entire OL issue" then yes, it looks like we might address it in the draft.

It is worth stating a few fun facts about last year's unit of Reiff/Easton/Elflien/Berger/Remmers:

When Cook went down he was leading hte league in rushing. We finished 2nd in the NFL for yards from scrimmage between Jet / Cook / Murray
At one point Keenum went 5 games without being sacked
I'm sure there is more good news here, I just can't recall it.

The OL is hardly a mess. We had some injuries catch up with us in the last 4 weeks of the season. That isn't a mess, that is bad luck.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:We are down one position, RG. Easton was resigned. We have depth at Tackle in the form of Rashod Hill. If Berger retires and Sirles is not resigned we lack depth at RG. So if you are saying we are addressing a single position of need as the "entire OL issue" then yes, it looks like we might address it in the draft.

It is worth stating a few fun facts about last year's unit of Reiff/Easton/Elflien/Berger/Remmers:

When Cook went down he was leading hte league in rushing. We finished 2nd in the NFL for yards from scrimmage between Jet / Cook / Murray
At one point Keenum went 5 games without being sacked
I'm sure there is more good news here, I just can't recall it.

The OL is hardly a mess. We had some injuries catch up with us in the last 4 weeks of the season. That isn't a mess, that is bad luck.
The unit could use more physicality, especially from the LG and RG positions. It was massively improved last year over the year before.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The top FA on the market signed with the Vikings without even considering another team. He passed up much larger offers to be in Minnesota. Think about what that implies.
I don't mean to pee in your Cheerios but I don't really buy this. Maybe the Jets offered him $90M, I can see that, so we got him at ~6.5% less. But we still had to offer a very ridiculously player friendly contract. Fully guaranteed, no trade clause, no transition tag. He basically holds all the cards at the end of year 3.

I believe this was his first choice and the team, culture, etc., made a very big impact but I don't see this as an implication that the Vikings can pick and choose. They may get a slight discount and preference as a contender but at the end of the day it's still about the money with free agents. Maybe if we get Richardson or Tyrann at some crazy below market price I'll revise but right now I think we put up a competitive bid and were aggressive in the market.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:The top FA on the market signed with the Vikings without even considering another team. He passed up much larger offers to be in Minnesota. Think about what that implies.
I don't mean to pee in your Cheerios but I don't really buy this. Maybe the Jets offered him $90M, I can see that, so we got him at ~6.5% less. But we still had to offer a very ridiculously player friendly contract. Fully guaranteed, no trade clause, no transition tag. He basically holds all the cards at the end of year 3.

I believe this was his first choice and the team, culture, etc., made a very big impact but I don't see this as an implication that the Vikings can pick and choose. They may get a slight discount and preference as a contender but at the end of the day it's still about the money with free agents. Maybe if we get Richardson or Tyrann at some crazy below market price I'll revise but right now I think we put up a competitive bid and were aggressive in the market.
Yeah the fact his contract is 100% guaranteed says a lot. But... we see it every year that teams with elite QB play go the distance. Cousins was the best overall player AVAILABLE at that position and IMO was a clear upgrade over everything we had at the position on the roster. The market in the NFL is what it is. Cousins got paid. Next year, someone else will get paid. So on and so on.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Only one year deal for Richardson. Mixed feelings.