2018 Free Agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by fiestavike »

Cowboys Struggling to work things out with Zack Martin. Currently owed 9.4 with zero dead money, last year on deal. Could be an interesting option, although expensive.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:Cowboys Struggling to work things out with Zack Martin. Currently owed 9.4 with zero dead money, last year on deal. Could be an interesting option, although expensive.
With the deal that Norwell just got, Martin's price range is going to be through the roof. I've explained this before regarding the OL and salary cap. The number ONE reason Dallas cant find a deal with him, because they dont have squat for money. They have so much already buried into their OL. So does Philly, who will soon fall apart in a year or two. The Cowboys also have Zeke and Dak on rookie deals. So not only do they have no cap room, but they also have a ton of mouths to feed. And a below average defense. They are one of the worst managed team (from a cap standpoint) that I have seen in a while. It's all fine and dandy have a loaded OL but where has it gotten them?? They dont draft well #1. And #2, they put all this money into OL and they struggle to pay anyone on defense.

Want to hear something even more crazy? The Eagles are ALREADY -$19 million in cap next year. Nobody is even close to them. Everyone thinks Roseman is some genius because he put this team together and won a SB but they are going to be a flash in the pan because they cant keep everyone together. Yeah we're in it to win a SB and they did that but that's not how you build a dynasty. That's like "lets go all in and figure it out later". Not a good move. No less, they are -$19 million and havent even paid Wentz yet. Or Ajayi. Wentz is going to shatter what Cousins just got.

I dont want a team like that. I want to build a team to last. That's why I love how Spielman stays so on top of the cap room we have. He builds through the draft. Philly has not done that. Outside of Wentz and Barnett they've done nothing but overpay and trade. And they are in cap hell. Roseman does not build through the draft. I feel like Philly was FINALLY one of those teams that overpaid in FA and just got lucky enough for it to all click. Tampa did it a few years back and flopped. Miami did it a couple years ago and flopped. Granted neither team had a great QB. Philly was lucky enough to have that. But either way, they won in FA and trades. Not the draft.

Spielman has found so much talent in the later rounds and undrafted. That's why we are so good and still have a lot of cap room. Many teams dont have that luxury. Not only do their first round picks suck but their middle rounds suck too. He's continued to kill the draft. And honestly, I love the Cousins signing. We were out of position to draft a QB, the team was loaded, we have the cap room, etc. Spielman rarely overpays in FA. At least not as much as many. I trust them fully here.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

TSonn wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mansquatch wrote: FWIW, I think GB is in decline. They've added no real talent, have only one legitimate WR, and their defense continues to decline. It's all about Rogers and thats it, but he has come down to earth a bit from 5 years ago. They could be a 3rd place team in this division next year if Bears or Lions become more of a threat.
Did getting Jimmy Graham help? Sure.
I'm not so sure about that. Of course Rodgers is great so he'll most likely get Graham involved, but they'll need to do a fairly severe offensive revamp to get the TE position more involved in the offensive scheme for that signing to be significant. The TE in their scheme is typically a 3rd or 4th read. Graham has only been successful when he's the 1st or 2nd read. Plus he's awful at blocking.
You have to be kidding me. With very little work, Rogers is going to make Graham look better then he ever has been. You dont think their OC can mask a few plays to fit Jimmy? With maybe the best QB in the entire NFL (Brady is best but Rogers is a close second) it will not be a problem. QBs problems are on the D side of the ball, not the O side.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:Cowboys Struggling to work things out with Zack Martin. Currently owed 9.4 with zero dead money, last year on deal. Could be an interesting option, although expensive.
With the deal that Norwell just got, Martin's price range is going to be through the roof. I've explained this before regarding the OL and salary cap. The number ONE reason Dallas cant find a deal with him, because they dont have squat for money. They have so much already buried into their OL. So does Philly, who will soon fall apart in a year or two. The Cowboys also have Zeke and Dak on rookie deals. So not only do they have no cap room, but they also have a ton of mouths to feed. And a below average defense. They are one of the worst managed team (from a cap standpoint) that I have seen in a while. It's all fine and dandy have a loaded OL but where has it gotten them?? They dont draft well #1. And #2, they put all this money into OL and they struggle to pay anyone on defense.

Want to hear something even more crazy? The Eagles are ALREADY -$19 million in cap next year. Nobody is even close to them. Everyone thinks Roseman is some genius because he put this team together and won a SB but they are going to be a flash in the pan because they cant keep everyone together. Yeah we're in it to win a SB and they did that but that's not how you build a dynasty. That's like "lets go all in and figure it out later". Not a good move. No less, they are -$19 million and havent even paid Wentz yet. Or Ajayi. Wentz is going to shatter what Cousins just got.

I dont want a team like that. I want to build a team to last. That's why I love how Spielman stays so on top of the cap room we have. He builds through the draft. Philly has not done that. Outside of Wentz and Barnett they've done nothing but overpay and trade. And they are in cap hell. Roseman does not build through the draft. I feel like Philly was FINALLY one of those teams that overpaid in FA and just got lucky enough for it to all click. Tampa did it a few years back and flopped. Miami did it a couple years ago and flopped. Granted neither team had a great QB. Philly was lucky enough to have that. But either way, they won in FA and trades. Not the draft.

Spielman has found so much talent in the later rounds and undrafted. That's why we are so good and still have a lot of cap room. Many teams dont have that luxury. Not only do their first round picks suck but their middle rounds suck too. He's continued to kill the draft. And honestly, I love the Cousins signing. We were out of position to draft a QB, the team was loaded, we have the cap room, etc. Spielman rarely overpays in FA. At least not as much as many. I trust them fully here.
I certainly understand your point. I just thought it was worthy of discussion. Even as a one year rental who is off the books next year, he'd be a great piece. I don't know what they'd want to trade for him, but they do have places they can trim to save extra cap. Unfortunaely a lot of those cuts will probably become neccesary in order to finance the Cousins contract over the next two years.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Richardson wants 15 mil a frigging year? Well there goes that dream, because I'm betting some pays it, or very close to it.

Our weakest link is going to be our Oline. I sure hope Rick can find some good G/and T. We should draft heavy on them and maybe find a gem.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Looking ahead one year, the Vikings need to start looking for replacements to Rudolph, Murray, Remmers and Sendejo. Its possible that Morgan, Mack, Hill and Harris/Kearse are those replacements, but they need to start preparing for the future without those guys now, because financially its pretty unlikely they'll be on the team after this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Richardson dinning at Manny's tonight.

@GoesslingStrib
Heard today the Vikings are working on restructuring Latavius Murray's deal. His $5.15 million base salary becomes guaranteed on the third day of the league year, so he's an obvious candidate for a salary reduction.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Star's contract: 5-years, $50 million ($25 million guaranteed overall and $18.5 million guaranteed at ).

Sheldon's probably going to top that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

halfgiz wrote:Richardson dinning at Manny's tonight.

@GoesslingStrib
Heard today the Vikings are working on restructuring Latavius Murray's deal. His $5.15 million base salary becomes guaranteed on the third day of the league year, so he's an obvious candidate for a salary reduction.
Taking the big guy to a steakhouse isn't a BAD idea.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

So.....

No word on Richardson?

And what do think happens to Robison? Will he retire early? I'd hope the Vikings take care of him and let him play out this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:So.....

No word on Richardson?

And what do think happens to Robison? Will he retire early? I'd hope the Vikings take care of him and let him play out this year.
He's still in Minnesota. As for Robison, not sure. I'm guessing this year will be his last. Either he will get cut or retire.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Even we don't sign any more free agents, this offseason has already been a huge success.

The top FA on the market signed with the Vikings without even considering another team. He passed up much larger offers to be in Minnesota. Think about what that implies.

During the free-agency era, I can't think of another time when Minnesota was THE hot destination of the NFL. But that's what we're becoming. This is a big deal, and it's a testament to the culture the Wilf family has established here. They've brought this franchise a long way since the dark days of cheapskate Red McCombs.

So when guys like Sheldon Richardson visit the Vikings, we have the luxury of deciding whether WE want HIM. If he's only about the money, then pass on him. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to be here for the right reasons, then take a hike. I don't care how good you think you are. We'll find someone else. We don't have to be desperate anymore.

Now we just need to take one more step, and that's to finally win that Lombardi Trophy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Good post, Kapp, I agree. It is a huge deal that Cousins chose us and the circumstances surrounding his decision.

Red McCombs. That guy was such a putz. It highlights why we should be grateful to have owners who are essentially the exact opposite and seem to get it. In Cousins' presser he talked about how important it was to have owners who are in line with the GM who is in line with the Coach who is in line with his OC etc. Everyone is on the same page. I don't want to over exaggerate the kumbaya -ness of our organization, but it appears that this was a major factor in Cousins' choice and I think it is hugely important.

I am excited for next season and I look forward to seeing what other FA and trade additions we make.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Even we don't sign any more free agents, this offseason has already been a huge success.

The top FA on the market signed with the Vikings without even considering another team. He passed up much larger offers to be in Minnesota. Think about what that implies.

During the free-agency era, I can't think of another time when Minnesota was THE hot destination of the NFL. But that's what we're becoming. This is a big deal, and it's a testament to the culture the Wilf family has established here. They've brought this franchise a long way since the dark days of cheapskate Red McCombs.

So when guys like Sheldon Richardson visit the Vikings, we have the luxury of deciding whether WE want HIM. If he's only about the money, then pass on him. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to be here for the right reasons, then take a hike. I don't care how good you think you are. We'll find someone else. We don't have to be desperate anymore.

Now we just need to take one more step, and that's to finally win that Lombardi Trophy.
Excellent post. I agree. For all the complaining that has been done about the Wilf's, Spielman, Zim, etc. They have built an excellent franchise. They have provided everything an incoming FA would want. A state of the art stadium, a state of the art facility, a loaded roster, great leaders on the roster, great coaches, etc. What player doesnt want that?

Right now, Richardson would just be a cherry on top IMO. The one plus about signing him, would be we would DEFINITELY be able to go BPA at 30 in the draft. Outside of more help on the OL, I cant really pinpoint a weakness if we land Richardson. The one spot I would lean towards, is improving the pass rush more. And that would be Arden Key from LSU. If we land Richardson I would want either DE Arden Key, OG Billy Price, OG Isaiah Wynn or OG Will Hernandez. But if we go elsewhere with that pick I wouldnt be surprised. Maybe LB, CB, OT??

IMO this roster is just as loaded or more loaded than Philly's. And we have a much better shot to keep ours together than they do. I will say, this is the most excited I've ever been as a vikings fan. Not only for "this year" but the future in general. This team is built to win for a long time. EXCELLENT JOB Wilfs, Rick and Zim. EXCELLENT JOB! :ripple: :ripple:
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
You have to be kidding me. With very little work, Rogers is going to make Graham look better then he ever has been. You dont think their OC can mask a few plays to fit Jimmy? With maybe the best QB in the entire NFL (Brady is best but Rogers is a close second) it will not be a problem. QBs problems are on the D side of the ball, not the O side.
So they have Grahama and Adams WR. Who else? They just cut Jordy Nelson. They have nothing at RB, their OL is in tatters and the only legit starters on their defense are an aging Mathews and Daniels. Graham is a flashy signing of an aged veteran who hasn't performed in at least 3 seasons. They've done nothing to address their numerous woes.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi