View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm



Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2018 Free Agency 
Author Message
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3578
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
dead_poet wrote:
Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.



I'll be interested to see if he finally prospers. He sure wasn't valued too highly:

Quote:
while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.


If there's anywhere he might excel, it's in NE.


Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Patriots traded for Patterson. So the hoodie gets his guy in the end.



I'll be interested to see if he finally prospers. He sure wasn't valued too highly:

Quote:
while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.


If there's anywhere he might excel, it's in NE.


I'm skeptical he gets many snaps with Cooks, Edelman and Hogan in front of him.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8262
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:39 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3436
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Cliff wrote:
He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.



I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3380
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
mansquatch wrote:
Cliff wrote:
He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.



I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.


They are planning to remove the kickoff from the game entirely. Making it boring and totally uneventful is the first step in that process.


Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3436
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
fiestavike wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
Cliff wrote:
He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.



I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.


They are planning to remove the kickoff from the game entirely. Making it boring and totally uneventful is the first step in that process.



SIGH

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:22 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6618
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.
Darrell Williams and Austin Howard would be interesting players for offensive tackle depth.
Luke Wilson or Brent Celek could be potential TE pieces.
Karl Klug would be ideal for defensive tackle depth.
There are some interesting edge defenders like Elvis Dummervil, Pharnell McPhee, and Connor Barwin.
If Newman doesn't resign, the team could look into E.J. Gaines, Darqueze Dennard, Bashuad Breeland, Ross Crockel, or DRC.
Finally, if Forbath isn't resigned, the team could try to guage Sebastian Janikowski.

I am in no means saying we need to sign all or any of these players. I just feel we should add a few veterans before the draft. We still have holes to fill and we still have some cap room left to make some moves.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 847
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.
Darrell Williams and Austin Howard would be interesting players for offensive tackle depth.
Luke Wilson or Brent Celek could be potential TE pieces.
Karl Klug would be ideal for defensive tackle depth.
There are some interesting edge defenders like Elvis Dummervil, Pharnell McPhee, and Connor Barwin.
If Newman doesn't resign, the team could look into E.J. Gaines, Darqueze Dennard, Bashuad Breeland, Ross Crockel, or DRC.
Finally, if Forbath isn't resigned, the team could try to guage Sebastian Janikowski.

I am in no means saying we need to sign all or any of these players. I just feel we should add a few veterans before the draft. We still have holes to fill and we still have some cap room left to make some moves.


My bet is they draft a kicker in the late rounds. But yes I agree on the interior line depth, Fluker I thinks could be grabbed cheap.


Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:38 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8262
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
mansquatch wrote:
Cliff wrote:
He was grabbed to return kicks.

NE had the 4th best returner last year (Dion Lewis) and lost him to the titans.



I suspect this is correct. Did anyone else notice how dismal Kick Returns have become since they changed the rules? My sense is Belicik is fine paying him slightly more to give them an edge in the return game. FWIW, I hope the NFL reviews the Kick off rules. The return game is really suffering right now.


Yeah, but it’s still important. It’s another small edge that adds up to big advantages over the course of a game. That’s where I wish we could have held onto Patterson. Of course, he still wants to be a pass catcher primarily (and who can blame him) but he still hasn’t put that together. He seems to be Devin Hester 2.0. It’s still a valuable role. I’d have Devin Hester in his prime on my team for the right price any day. Patterson has that kind of ability and then some.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Hopefully our team takes a look at the second wave of free agency soonish. There are some guys out there who could be signed cheap for competition/depth roles. I would like to see the team try for Jack Mewhort, D.J. Fluker, and/or Matt Slauson for interior depth.
Darrell Williams and Austin Howard would be interesting players for offensive tackle depth.
Luke Wilson or Brent Celek could be potential TE pieces.
Karl Klug would be ideal for defensive tackle depth.
There are some interesting edge defenders like Elvis Dummervil, Pharnell McPhee, and Connor Barwin.
If Newman doesn't resign, the team could look into E.J. Gaines, Darqueze Dennard, Bashuad Breeland, Ross Crockel, or DRC.
Finally, if Forbath isn't resigned, the team could try to guage Sebastian Janikowski.

I am in no means saying we need to sign all or any of these players. I just feel we should add a few veterans before the draft. We still have holes to fill and we still have some cap room left to make some moves.


I liked Dennard coming out of college but had forgotten about him. I can see him being a Zimm type of player. He's physical and has 1st round pedigree.


Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Dennard is still under contract

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
dead_poet wrote:
Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.


Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.


Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.


Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.


And dang, they got Wade running that show. That team is stacked. But you're right, lots of strong personalities. Come to think of it, has tge team given Donald his mega extension yet? If not, he can't be happy the new guy got paid before he did.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm
Profile
Starter

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm
Posts: 166
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.


Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.


And dang, they got Wade running that show. That team is stacked. But you're right, lots of strong personalities. Come to think of it, has tge team given Donald his mega extension yet? If not, he can't be happy the new guy got paid before he did.


New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.


Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:09 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Posts: 66
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Bigwehrm wrote:
New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.


Donald is on the fifth year option and scheduled to make under $7M. After paying Suh, they almost have to extend him immediately. The other option is to tag him after the season, but that often doesn't end very well for a team, especially for a talent like Donald. That dream line could turn into a nightmare for them after one year. Gurley and Peters both are in their fourth year, and the fifth year options will be expensive, especially for Gurley who was a top ten pick. Goff will be under a very expensive fifth year option in 2020, unless the extend him sooner which will likely cost $30M plus per year. The Rams will have around $14M in 2018 cap space after the Suh contract is finalized. This all looks like a cap time bomb to me, set to go off in one to two years. LA fans had better really enjoy the 2018 season and hope that injuries don't kill them.


Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Vikefan60 wrote:
Bigwehrm wrote:
New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.


Donald is on the fifth year option and scheduled to make under $7M. After paying Suh, they almost have to extend him immediately. The other option is to tag him after the season, but that often doesn't end very well for a team, especially for a talent like Donald. That dream line could turn into a nightmare for them after one year. Gurley and Peters both are in their fourth year, and the fifth year options will be expensive, especially for Gurley who was a top ten pick. Goff will be under a very expensive fifth year option in 2020, unless the extend him sooner which will likely cost $30M plus per year. The Rams will have around $14M in 2018 cap space after the Suh contract is finalized. This all looks like a cap time bomb to me, set to go off in one to two years. LA fans had better really enjoy the 2018 season and hope that injuries don't kill them.


They're definitely going all in, taking advantage of those rookie contracts. Maybe Wade can keep them all in check, I guess we're going to find out.

If I'm Bradford, I'm audibling to a run every down.


Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:58 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 8213d4103f


Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Posts: 66
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
S197 wrote:
Vikefan60 wrote:
Bigwehrm wrote:
New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.


Donald is on the fifth year option and scheduled to make under $7M. After paying Suh, they almost have to extend him immediately. The other option is to tag him after the season, but that often doesn't end very well for a team, especially for a talent like Donald. That dream line could turn into a nightmare for them after one year. Gurley and Peters both are in their fourth year, and the fifth year options will be expensive, especially for Gurley who was a top ten pick. Goff will be under a very expensive fifth year option in 2020, unless the extend him sooner which will likely cost $30M plus per year. The Rams will have around $14M in 2018 cap space after the Suh contract is finalized. This all looks like a cap time bomb to me, set to go off in one to two years. LA fans had better really enjoy the 2018 season and hope that injuries don't kill them.


They're definitely going all in, taking advantage of those rookie contracts. Maybe Wade can keep them all in check, I guess we're going to find out.

If I'm Bradford, I'm audibling to a run every down.


:lol: Maybe better yet, his knee is "just a little sore and he needs to sit out today; certain it will be better next week." I'm really rooting for Suh to channel Haynesworth and just cash the checks and ride this one out. With both him and Peters on the D, maybe we should be wagering on which one blows up in the Rams' face sooner.


Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Vikings brought back guys that were cheap and let guys walk who got much bigger deals. Net effect was the ability to sign top tier guys in Cousins/Richardson but will need to look to the draft for depth.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/analy ... ing-what-i


Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:28 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
dead_poet wrote:
Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)

Rick must be bored. This guy couldnt make a team if they needed 3 WR's/


Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:40 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 24337
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)

Rick must be bored. This guy couldnt make a team if they needed 3 WR's/


He's bargain shopping and adding guys to compete. All GMs do this. And King isn't terrible.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJOlson/stat ... 58305?s=19

Maybe you're bored?

:confused:

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Posts: 66
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
dead_poet wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)

Rick must be bored. This guy couldnt make a team if they needed 3 WR's/


He's bargain shopping and adding guys to compete. All GMs do this. And King isn't terrible.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJOlson/stat ... 58305?s=19

Maybe you're bored?

:confused:


Yep. More like Rick doing his job. Every guy we sign like this gives us more flexibility in the draft.


Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
The guy has been on more teams then he has TDs in a few years.

It wasnt a knock on Rick, I was just saying this guy doesnt stand a chance to make the Vikes.


Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The guy has been on more teams then he has TDs in a few years.

It wasnt a knock on Rick, I was just saying this guy doesnt stand a chance to make the Vikes.


There are guys we sign every year that probably have no chance. But at the same time, it's the GM's job to try and find diamonds in the rough as well. The last thing you want to do is pass on a guy just because "you dont think he stands a chance to make the team" and in training camp we get bit by the injury bug. It's being a smart GM

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 11119
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Player A, 18rec, 240yards, 3 TD's: "Rick you moron why are you bringing in this long shot loser?"

Player B, 18rec, 198yards, 2 TD's: "Rick you moron why aren't you paying this guy $3M, he's so clutch!"


Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:36 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
S197 wrote:
Player A, 18rec, 240yards, 3 TD's: "Rick you moron why are you bringing in this long shot loser?"

Player B, 18rec, 198yards, 2 TD's: "Rick you moron why aren't you paying this guy $3M, he's so clutch!"


:lol: Exactly

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:17 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6899
Post Re: 2018 Free Agency
Vikefan60 wrote:
:lol: Maybe better yet, his knee is "just a little sore and he needs to sit out today; certain it will be better next week." I'm really rooting for Suh to channel Haynesworth and just cash the checks and ride this one out. With both him and Peters on the D, maybe we should be wagering on which one blows up in the Rams' face sooner.

No doubt.

Then again, we ARE talking about Wonder Boy McVay, the presumptive repeat Coach of the Year and heir-apparent to Belichick. "Peters might be a problem for lesser coaches, but I can get the most out of him." (Not an actual quote, but probably could be.)

Yep, Sean. Works every time.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.