Are Saints in Danger of Losing Drew Brees to the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Are Saints in Danger of Losing Drew Brees to the Vikings

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
halfgiz wrote:Just said on @nflnetwork: The #Vikings have made a call on Drew Brees,

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 0533520384
Don't get too excited just yet.

The Vikings have every incentive to make an offer to Drew Brees, even if they don't believe they can sign him. It drives the price up for Brees. Since the Saints are one of the NFC's top contenders and only have modest cap space at $28 million, driving up the price hurts the Saints.

Weird things happen, and I suppose Brees could actually have interest. But even if he doesn't, this is a smart move by the Vikings.
Completely agree. Fun to talk and even dream about, but I'd be floored if anything comes out of it.
Damian
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm watching NFL Free Agent Frenzy on NFL Network.

Every reporter there says Brees will resign with the Saints. They've taken his contract to the brink before, and the consensus is that he'll sign again. Ian Rapaport is rarely wrong on his reporting, and Mike Garafolo is solid, too.

This is a pipe dream.
Probably. But I'm currently in Colorado so those are the best types of dreams.

Or so I've heard.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ian Rapaport is reporting on NFL Network that other teams have also reached out to Drew Brees.

He also believes the chance that Brees will leave the Saints is slim.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
dead_poet wrote:I'd hate for this to be another Brett Farve past his prime but Brees seems to have more in the tank and I'd be infinitely more confident in him in the short-term than Cousins. And if the Vikings are seriously weighing a 3-year, fully guaranteed contract for Cousins, I think Brees would be able to be more effective over those three years. The only downside would be facing yet ANOTHER offseason in three years with no permanent QB. But hopefully we'd have a Lombardi or two by that point.

Sign me up.

From watching Brees, I did not get the impression that he is the same guy he was even a few seasons ago. He certainly can still compete, but his upside isn't what it once was. They went 11-5 this past year with Kamara, but prior to that they were 7-9 the past three seasons. Brees is 39 right now. He'll turn 40 on January 15th. No 40 yr old QB has ever started in and won the SB. IMO, Brees' best years are behind him. I see why people would want him, give his history, but IMO Cousins is the better choice in 2018. I know some won't agree.
I totally agree.....plus like others have said I just don't believe he will be avail anyway. Cousins is the better choice at the moment.
Jesus, people saying a nobody like Cousins is better then Brees. And theres no way teddy could heal up but Sammy can in a heartbeat after being hurt 50 thousand times so far. I hope to god Rick ans Zim dont have time to waste to look at the comments on this board.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I dont want Brees. I id rather be the team that beats Brees evertime we play him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

At the very least, it's nice to see the Saints fans sweat a little.

The chances are low but I don't think it's as low as some think. Lets not forget that he got to see this team beat the Saints twice this year, the first time rather easily. Brees is a step up from Bradford and Bradford absolutely torched the Saints (granted week 1). If I'm Brees I'm looking at the weapons around me and thinking I can do at least as good as Bradford, probably a lot better. Plus I have the #1 defense on the other side and not a dickhead of a coach. Moreover, I still get to play indoors more than 50% of the time.

Ideal scenario is he's here 2 maybe 3 years, which matches up with the Vikings window of opportunity. If Flip is as good as people say he is, that gives him ample time to groom an heir. You almost never see a franchise QB and HOF QB hit free agency. This year we might see both. Crazy!

How this all plays out will likely be the deciding factor on whether Spielman and maybe Zimmer stay or not. That may not seem fair but this is a major decision that has huge ramifications. Getting it wrong is going to be tough to look past.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Jesus, people saying a nobody like Cousins is better then Brees. And theres no way teddy could heal up but Sammy can in a heartbeat after being hurt 50 thousand times so far. I hope to god Rick ans Zim dont have time to waste to look at the comments on this board.
Yup cousins is a nobody and Teddy’s a stud in the making even though he hasn’t played in two years (or did anything prior to his injury) ..... exactly why I hope Zim and Spielman don’t bother to read yours :lol:

Ps, not one single person on here said Bradford could “heal up in a heartbeat”. And either way, his last injury didn’t demolish his knee to the point where players were puking on the field. Little bit of a difference there. Just a little though :whistle:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

PK. Your snark is unappreciated and at this point incredibly insulting. Nobody said any of the things you are purporting and you f***ing know it. People are saying Cousins is a better option because he's YOUNGER and shows more upside if he were on a GOOD TEAM. How many times does that point need to be driven home with you? Just admit you hate the guy already.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Rhodes Closed wrote:PK. Your snark is unappreciated and at this point incredibly insulting. Nobody said any of the things you are purporting and you f***ing know it. People are saying Cousins is a better option because he's YOUNGER and shows more upside if he were on a GOOD TEAM. How many times does that point need to be driven home with you? Just admit you hate the guy already.
+1
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

We can't get this QB situation wrong ,Some one will lose their job or jobs if we do.At this point I think we must sign Brees or Cousins if we miss on both, Would Keenum even want to come back at this point?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Jesus, people saying a nobody like Cousins is better then Brees. And theres no way teddy could heal up but Sammy can in a heartbeat after being hurt 50 thousand times so far. I hope to god Rick ans Zim dont have time to waste to look at the comments on this board.
Yup cousins is a nobody and Teddy’s a stud in the making even though he hasn’t played in two years (or did anything prior to his injury) ..... exactly why I hope Zim and Spielman don’t bother to read yours :lol:

Ps, not one single person on here said Bradford could “heal up in a heartbeat”. And either way, his last injury didn’t demolish his knee to the point where players were puking on the field. Little bit of a difference there. Just a little though :whistle:
I think you are wrong about Teddy achievements before injury. He was the league's best Qb in the final 2 mins of games in 2015. He won 11 games including beating Rogers in Lame-blow for the division and was a miss kick away from knocking off Seattle (the NFC Superbowl representatives the year before). His stats weren't pretty but to say he didn't achieve anything is a gross exaggeration.

Also, the look of an injury doesn't really correlate to the long term prognosis of said injury.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Husker Vike wrote:We can't get this QB situation wrong ,Some one will lose their job or jobs if we do.At this point I think we must sign Brees or Cousins if we miss on both, Would Keenum even want to come back at this point?
I know that this is being said more and more but I think it's foolish that an organization would pin a job on this one decision. Both coach and GM has worked together to construct a good roster, even if we miss, allow them to reload and doing again in 3 years. I'm a huge critic of Speilman, I think he has wasted too many of our 7 first rounder in 3 years but even if we get the Qb wrong, I can't see him getting fired.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Husker Vike wrote:We can't get this QB situation wrong ,Some one will lose their job or jobs if we do.At this point I think we must sign Brees or Cousins if we miss on both, Would Keenum even want to come back at this point?
If we don't get Cousins or Brees we're pretty screwed at this point. Case is gone and we likely burned the Teddy bridge (hah that was totally unintended!). We'd have to run with Bradford maybe and I don't know who, McCarron? Ugh don't want to think about it...
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Report: Saints will re-sign Drew Brees to two-year, $48 million contract

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 0_25925792
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Report: Saints will re-sign Drew Brees to two-year, $48 million contract

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 0_25925792
The Article wrote: After a period of some uncertainty, the New Orleans Saints have reportedly locked up future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees for the foreseeable future. According to a report, the two sides are discussing a two-year deal that pays him $48 million.
(Emphasis mine)

I'm a little confused. The article seems to indicate it's a "done deal," but the word "discussing" would lead me to conclude that it's not agreed upon yet. As a practical matter, Brees was probably going to re-sign with NO anyway, but is this a premature conclusion?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!