[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote:
S197 wrote:Zulgad is saying Cousins isn't making anymore visits. Sounds like a decision may be made but we won't know for sure until Wednesday.
I think his refusal to take visits could potentially be dangerous for us if he doesn't need signed with us. It could be innocent or it could point to us tampering. I also expect to hear a lot of reports about gun deals before Wednesday.
The franchise window is passed so it's no real secret he's going to be a free agent. I don't know the exact rules but I'm not really worried about tampering accusations. Not sure what you mean by the gun comment, maybe it was a typo, but yeah I'm sure a bunch of stuff will get leaked before Wednesday.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
S197 wrote:Zulgad is saying Cousins isn't making anymore visits. Sounds like a decision may be made but we won't know for sure until Wednesday.
I think his refusal to take visits could potentially be dangerous for us if he doesn't need signed with us. It could be innocent or it could point to us tampering. I also expect to hear a lot of reports about gun deals before Wednesday.
The franchise window is passed so it's no real secret he's going to be a free agent. I don't know the exact rules but I'm not really worried about tampering accusations. Not sure what you mean by the gun comment, maybe it was a typo, but yeah I'm sure a bunch of stuff will get leaked before Wednesday.
Speech to text picked up gun when I said done.
Done deals.

The rules are simple... until today, we could have no contact with him or his agent. Teams bend the rules but if Weds at 12:01 we sign him, league might come calling.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

All of you guys who are worried about resigning defensive stars need to take a look at Over the Cap's numbers for the 2019 Vikings.

We are projected to have $67 million in cap space in 2019. If we sign Cousins for $30 million a year, that's STILL $37 million. We will be just fine.

Also, this past season, we paid $23 million to quarterbacks. Think about that. We allocated a total of $23 million to Sam Bradford, who essentially played one game; Teddy Bridgewater, who took 5 snaps; Kyle Sloter, the highest-paid practice squad QB in the league; and Case Keenum, who made just $2 million for the 12 wins he contributed. It's incredible to me that we can sit here and worry about adding $7-$10 million in quarterback salary when we paid $21 million to guys who made virtually no contributions to the team in 2017.

This organization has been managed extremely well. We are sitting in a good financial position. We have the best stadium AND the best training facility in the league. Minnesota Vikings football has never been in a better position.

I also look at this from the standpoint of pairing Kirk Cousins with John DeFilippo, who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches of quarterbacks in the league. It's entirely possible that Cousins will actually raise his game with the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:All of you guys who are worried about resigning defensive stars need to take a look at Over the Cap's numbers for the 2019 Vikings.

We are projected to have $67 million in cap space in 2019. If we sign Cousins for $30 million a year, that's STILL $37 million. We will be just fine.

Also, this past season, we paid $23 million to quarterbacks. Think about that. We allocated a total of $23 million to Sam Bradford, who essentially played one game; Teddy Bridgewater, who took 5 snaps; Kyle Sloter, the highest-paid practice squad QB in the league; and Case Keenum, who made just $2 million for the 12 wins he contributed. It's incredible to me that we can sit here and worry about adding $7-$10 million in quarterback salary when we paid $21 million to guys who made virtually no contributions to the team in 2017.

This organization has been managed extremely well. We are sitting in a good financial position. We have the best stadium AND the best training facility in the league. Minnesota Vikings football has never been in a better position.

I also look at this from the standpoint of pairing Kirk Cousins with John DeFilippo, who is widely regarded as one of the best coaches of quarterbacks in the league. It's entirely possible that Cousins will actually raise his game with the Vikings.
We have a bigger issue possible. NFL requires that large contract figures be put into escrow. If we hit 100 million, the ownership group is going to have to come up with that money
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
1. We aren't drafting in the high teens anymore ( Barr and Waynes taken w/ top teen picks)
2. Waynes is a missed based on draft position. Unless you think he has played like the 11th best player in any draft. Not arguing this point. I will let you live in Delusionalville, USA if you believe that.
3. There are real-world ramifications for assigning 27million to one player and it should be concerned. This amount large piece of the cap is for multiple years and will affect each year as we move forward. It might be losing Barr this year and Diggs the next. Since football is extremely volatile, Theilan may want a new contract after 2 years (probably not given his personality bu the 4mill a year he is getting is a sin). One devastating injury and a miss in the draft and the defense falls apart.
4. I'm not saying Brees @ 40 million a year makes sense at all
5. I have concerns about Cousins at 27.
Your arrogance is really starting to show. You get locked out of the Waynes thread and then you try to bring it back up here. Usually when nobody on here agrees with you regarding a player, it's usually a tell that you're NOT a good evaluator of talent. Common sense.

Regarding #1.) what sense does "not drafting in the teens anymore"?? We had no first round pick last year, didn't make our first pick until 9th in the 2nd round and still landed Dalvin Cook and then Pat Elflein in the 3rd. If you continue to draft well like they have, this shouldn't be a worry. Again, when was the last time Mike Zimmer had a "bad" defense anywhere he's been? I can tell you its been a long time.

2.) Not addressing this joke of an argument anymore :deadhorse:

3.) With what we have in cap room coming up, there should be no reason we lose both Diggs and Barr. No less, there are cut candidates coming up like Robison, Wright, Murray, Sendejo, whatever happens with Floyd, maybe even Rudy by 2019. Spielman and Zim plan two years ahead when it comes to cap space. You think if they are throwing Cousins a deal, they probably know what they're doing? I would say so. If they don't see it as an issue, then I would say we are fine.

4.) Brees at 40? No. I really don't want him. I want stability at the position. Not a 1-2 year window like we had with Favre.

5.) I have zero concerns with Cousins at $27.

Maybe if you pull back on the arrogance, people would actually take your posts seriously. I can already tell a lot of fans don't. Especially when you try and say you're some great evaluator of talent when nobody agrees with you regarding your opinion. That's never a good sign. If you had a couple people backing you, then it's probably a reasonable argument. When you have none, you're beat. And you're just annoying people at this point
So the guy comes into the thread and insults my evaluation of talent but because I tell him I think I'm better at evaluating talent than he is, I am arrogant?

I don't really care who cares to take my posts seriously. I addressed something in your post that I felt was wrong and I will continue to do so when I disagree with a point that has been made. The bottom line is I'm having a discussion and you and your fan club feel the need to talk about everything else but so accurate points that I'm making. But continue....
Your points are not accurate. That’s the problem. YOU think they are. Nobody else does. And when you sit here and throw out how you’re a better evaluator of talent, we all live in “dilusionalville”, that one fan should “save his impressive words”, calling fans on here expletives, the “I’ll be the first to say told you so” crap and the whole “see I can use big words too” comment. That’s the definition of arrogance pal. We have done nothing but address your points and the inaccuracies of your assessments. Your posts are tiring because you go into high defense mode when someone doesn’t agree and that’s where the insults and arrogance come in. Like i said, when you have a few guys backing you, that’s one thing. But when you’re all by yourself on a board that has a lot of activity, then you’re probably as wrong as it gets. I’ve never in 5 years of being a member here, seen someone with an opinion that nobody agrees with end up being correct in the end. Let that sink in. Either way, I hope you get banned sooner than later. Not sure if I can listen to this all of free agency
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
gun details?
Done deals. I'll edit.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

No offense, but you're not important enough for me to continue going back and forth with you about anything. I've tried to get back to the topic at hand and you and others here can skip my post from now on. No one is making you post in my topics or respond to me. Feel free to skip them when you see my name. We don't agree and we won't for sometime as it pertains to one player. Get over it and move pass it. We may agree on something else. That's how things work on message boards. I'm done.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:All of you guys who are worried about resigning defensive stars need to take a look at Over the Cap's numbers for the 2019 Vikings.

67 million
-30 for Kirk
37 million

- 8-10 for Barr approx
27 million

-10 for Diggs ( Given Evans 16 million)
17 million left to sign Kendricks and Hunter.

Does it still seem like a lot.
10 million or so needed to sign Rookies
It's going to be tight.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Cousins for 27m/year is fair and a great deal for both Cousins and the Vikings. Zimmer can build the defense through the draft way easier than we can find a franchise QB. Make it happen, Rick!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:No offense, but you're not important enough for me to continue going back and forth with you about anything. I've tried to get back to the topic at hand and you and others here can skip my post from now on. No one is making you post in my topics or respond to me. Feel free to skip them when you see my name. We don't agree and we won't for sometime as it pertains to one player. Get over it and move pass it. We may agree on something else. That's how things work on message boards. I'm done.
Lol dude you’re like a child. I’m suppose to move on? I was moved on. YOU were the one that brought up Waynes in this thread minutes after your thread was locked. The thread was locked for a reason. For you to drop the subject. But you bring it up here. It’s not the place for it. It’s a thread about Kirk cousins who has nothing to do with Waynes. We’re all passed it. You’re not and it’s why you posted in here. If you didn’t do that, it wouldn’t be discussed right now. Simple as that. Enough dude
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TSonn wrote:Cousins for 27m/year is fair and a great deal for both Cousins and the Vikings. Zimmer can build the defense through the draft way easier than we can find a franchise QB. Make it happen, Rick!

Agreed. This is what I hope happens.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
TSonn wrote:Cousins for 27m/year is fair and a great deal for both Cousins and the Vikings. Zimmer can build the defense through the draft way easier than we can find a franchise QB. Make it happen, Rick!

Agreed. This is what I hope happens.
Same here. I think it’s very realistic too. Again, we have the advantage of having a good team and getting him cheaper than most would think. He’s not going to pinch pennies with us. I just don’t see it. He wants to win
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Never mind
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Soooo Kirk cousins tagged the Vikings and jets in his farewell post on his blog. Take it with a grain of salt but still interesting. He has since taken it down :shock:
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Soooo Kirk cousins tagged the Vikings and jets in his farewell post on his blog. Take it with a grain of salt but still interesting. He has since taken it down :shock:
Hope this is not some kind of manipulation crap move.....