[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mondry wrote:After taking some time to think about the signing I have to say I'm not thrilled about it. Teddy, Sam, Cousins, Keenum, they're all some what similar in talent with keenum having the lowest ceiling so we essentially paid the most for the healthiest guy and given that it's the NFL and one good hit (or non contact in some cases..) can change all that it's hard for me to be excited.

With that said this was the safest route they could have gone at the most important position in sports so I don't blame them and I don't hate it. My main concern will be how he plays against elite defenses in the playoffs. Keenum had a strong regular season but I always knew he'd be a weakness in the playoffs. Cousins fumbles a lot and I can see the strip sack the eagles had on Keenum playing out again in that match up with Cousins.

Like I eluded to earlier I think Cousins ceiling is higher than Keenums but that's built into it when you look at the costs of each guys new contract. That means for me it's super bowl or bust cause we could already get to the NFCCG with Keenum at a cheaper price. The only reason to make a change like this is to get over the hump.
Respectfully disagree.Cousins decision making and accuracy are far better than Keenum imo. As for the fumbles..how about making sure your QB has his blindside protected?
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

12m

Kirk Cousins now officially signed to three-year, $84 million fully guaranteed contract. One more detail: deal contains another $6 million in incentives that could boost the total value of the deal to a maximum of $90 million, per source.

Mike McCartney

@MikeMcCartney7

Signed, sealed and delivered. Congrats @KirkCousins8 signing a 3 year deal with the @Vikings!

I, for one, hope he reaches those incentives
Sure hope this thing is front loaded.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:Knocking Cousins for his turnovers is a bit like knocking Teddy for his lack of yards/touchdowns. QBs play within a context. If Teddy had been as aggressive as he wanted to be the last year he started, the Vikings wouldn't have won 11 games. For the Redskins, Cousins had to be aggressive in order to give the team a chance. I find these statistical arguments to be totally asinine about 95 percent of the time. I'm excited to see what Cousins can do, and I hope he does dial it down a bit given the circumstances. I want him to be aggressive but not reckless. He may play complimentary football...he may even play the best football he has ever played AND his numbers be down. I want to see efficiency and maturity. With these weapons, that could mean 5000 yards, or it could mean 3,500 and home field advantage. No Favre 2.0.
I want to see 5,000 yards and home field advantage :smilevike:
I'd rather see 44 TD's 4 Int and home field advantage. I don't care about the yards.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Raptorman wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:Knocking Cousins for his turnovers is a bit like knocking Teddy for his lack of yards/touchdowns. QBs play within a context. If Teddy had been as aggressive as he wanted to be the last year he started, the Vikings wouldn't have won 11 games. For the Redskins, Cousins had to be aggressive in order to give the team a chance. I find these statistical arguments to be totally asinine about 95 percent of the time. I'm excited to see what Cousins can do, and I hope he does dial it down a bit given the circumstances. I want him to be aggressive but not reckless. He may play complimentary football...he may even play the best football he has ever played AND his numbers be down. I want to see efficiency and maturity. With these weapons, that could mean 5000 yards, or it could mean 3,500 and home field advantage. No Favre 2.0.
I want to see 5,000 yards and home field advantage :smilevike:
I'd rather see 44 TD's 4 Int and home field advantage. I don't care about the yards.
If you throw 44 Tds you are going to get 5,000 yards. I'd settle for your outcome though. :popcorn:
mael·strom

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Maelstrom88 wrote: @AdamSchefter

·

12m

Kirk Cousins now officially signed to three-year, $84 million fully guaranteed contract. One more detail: deal contains another $6 million in incentives that could boost the total value of the deal to a maximum of $90 million, per source.

Me too! $1MM per Super Bowl?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

12m

Mike McCartney

@MikeMcCartney7

Signed, sealed and delivered. Congrats @KirkCousins8 signing a 3 year deal with the @Vikings!

Sure hope this thing is front loaded.

It's not. Rapapport just said he's making only $22 mill in 2018. So it must be back loaded
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It's not. Rapapport just said he's making only $22 mill in 2018. So it must be back loaded
ugh. In that case, I hope they re-sign some of their own guys and front load those deals. I don't want to wind up in cap hell.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I'm in a pretty cool situation as a die hard Vikes fan. One of Cousins starting lineman for every yr ,except for this past season due to his retirement, is product of my hometown. His brother is my supervisor, so I've had many discussions with him about this signing and now it's official. I will say confidently that if he is the same here as he was in Washington, his line will love the guy and be all in for him. He told me alot of great stuff about him, but as usual there is room for some apprehension also. But, I guess that's natural.
I guess from our discussions I will stay with the pretty excited / a little nervous outlook. But ... as in our discussions. .. Cousins wasn't in the environment with the team that he is now.
I just hope and pray this is the missing piece to the puzzle.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:
ugh. In that case, I hope they re-sign some of their own guys and front load those deals. I don't want to wind up in cap hell.
Neither do I. But Spielman has never been in cap hell since he's been here. I trust him and Bryz there. They arent building a flash in the pan team like Philly did. They are building it in all aspects. Draft, FA, undrafted guys, trades, etc. They know what they are doing.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

fiestavike wrote:
Cap hits by years. 2018 $24, 2019 $29 2020 $31.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

Cousins was a combined 48-of-78 passing (61.5 percent) for 589 yards with three passing touchdowns, an interception and passer rating of 92.3 against a stingy Vikings defense. He also scored two of the nine rushing touchdowns against Minnesota in 2017.

When you put it like that.... :shock:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

6m

Vikings’ QB Kirk Cousins went to Minnesota prepared, not surprisingly. At introductory press conference, called out legendary Minnesota sports columnist Sid Hartman by name.
mael·strom

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Cousins' agent, they didn't take the best offer. "Not even close."

:shock:

My guess is the Jets or Browns offered more. Probably agent-speak with a grain of truth.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:Per Cousins' agent, they didn't take the best offer. "Not even close."

:shock:

My guess is the Jets or Browns offered more. Probably agent-speak with a grain of truth.
Yeah, I mean on some level these guys have to know that taking a huge contract with a bad team means they'll probably never put a good team around them. If you're already rich and it's all guaranteed might as well play for a title too.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Looks like the Jets offered $30 million per

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/f ... ssion=true
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly