[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Soooo Kirk cousins tagged the Vikings and jets in his farewell post on his blog. Take it with a grain of salt but still interesting. He has since taken it down :shock:
Started to report this but he tagged the Jets too.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

For those of you who want Cousins what do you have to say about him being bad under pressure and a fumble machine? If that is true that worries me greatly.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

germannorseman wrote:For those of you who want Cousins what do you have to say about him being bad under pressure and a fumble machine? If that is true that worries me greatly.

From the PFF graphic I saw, he wasn't bad at either but ranked average amongst QB's in both categories. He ranked significantly better at intermediate and deep throws but oddly below average on short passes. Granted this is PFF but I haven't seen another comprehensive breakdown.

The main problem with the Viking's offense over the past few years is the inability to push the ball downfield and consequently the ability to comeback from deficits. Great at managing a game but a couple of bad breaks early puts the team in a hole that's tough to dig out. I think Cousins provides the ability to add that extra dimension, which will keep defenses honest and thus open up the run game and the underneath stuff. I think we saw this with Bradford against the Saints where a QB with an elite arm can really keep you guessing.

In essence I'll take the risk of more turnovers for greater chance of production.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote:
germannorseman wrote:For those of you who want Cousins what do you have to say about him being bad under pressure and a fumble machine? If that is true that worries me greatly.

From the PFF graphic I saw, he wasn't bad at either but ranked average amongst QB's in both categories. He ranked significantly better at intermediate and deep throws but oddly below average on short passes. Granted this is PFF but I haven't seen another comprehensive breakdown.

The main problem with the Viking's offense over the past few years is the inability to push the ball downfield and consequently the ability to comeback from deficits. Great at managing a game but a couple of bad breaks early puts the team in a hole that's tough to dig out. I think Cousins provides the ability to add that extra dimension, which will keep defenses honest and thus open up the run game and the underneath stuff. I think we saw this with Bradford against the Saints where a QB with an elite arm can really keep you guessing.

In essence I'll take the risk of more turnovers for greater chance of production.
Agreed completely. And I don’t get where this fumble garbage is coming from. In Rodgers’ 3 year window of 2014-2016, rodgers fumbled 26 times. Carson wentz has fumbled 23 times in 2 years. Wilson has had 29 the last 3 years. Eli manning has had 29 in 3 years. Cousins 3 year window he had 31. There’s hardly a difference there.

It’s actually kind of funny when you see the fans that want to complain about cousins or don’t want cousins go stat diving just so they can try and find something wrong. And it’s even funnier when they call cousins out for something that’s no different than some of the best QBs in the game. I feel like it’s a desperation move. Guys talk about his record. Which shows next to nothing given the team that’s surrounding him. Guys call him out for fumbling which was proved to be very similar to other QBs above but he’s considered a “fumble machine”, guys call him out for being bad under pressure and this is the reality of it .....
Kirk Cousins is the best quarterback in the NFL against the blitz, according to figures calculated by ESPN. Through Week 12, Cousins leads the NFL with a 119.4 passer rating when facing the blitz.

What makes that number more impressive is that he has just a 101.1 passer rating all season. That’s more than 18 points higher when he’s facing an overloaded pass rush than when the team sends fewer than four.

Vikings’ resurrection project Case Keenum is second with a 112.8 rating against the blitz.
:lol: where do guys get this stuff from??? He’s a “fumble machine” and “horrible under pressure”????

Seriously? You guys are stat digging. Badly. And what I posted above proves it.

Again, I’ll take Cousins. Any day of the week....
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pressure and a blitz aren't the same thing. You can get pressure from sending 4 or a blitz can be picked up. Just clarifying why a stat on blitz rating isn't the full picture when someone mentions pressure.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

" :lol: where do guys get this stuff from??? He’s a “fumble machine” and “horrible under pressure”????

Seriously? You guys are stat digging. Badly. And what I posted above proves it. "

"Turnover-worthy play analysis: There was no consistent theme to Cousins’ turnover-worthy plays, as he had bad fumbles in the pocket, misreads of zone coverage and off-target throws into man coverage sprinkled throughout his game. He started and ended the season in similar fashion, as his two worst-graded games of season featured far toomany passes that were late and/or inaccurate."

From PFF
I'll try to find the article that put him last in fumbles.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Here's one view on the cons of cousin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyn ... -than-pros

In short.
4-16 against teams with winning records
Middle of the road in big play throws
Declining the last two years statistically.
Poor in red zone and on 3rd down
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

YikesVikes wrote:Here's one view on the cons of cousin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyn ... -than-pros

In short.
4-16 against teams with winning records
Middle of the road in big play throws
Declining the last two years statistically.
Poor in red zone and on 3rd down

Don't bother. I posted that link a long time ago.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote:Pressure and a blitz aren't the same thing. You can get pressure from sending 4 or a blitz can be picked up. Just clarifying why a stat on blitz rating isn't the full picture when someone mentions pressure.
It doesnt matter? Regardless he still had the highest passer rating in the league when that was happening. Whether they broke though on the blitz or it got picked up, he was MUCH better than what fans say under pressure and still posted one of the best ratings in the league. I know what a blitz is and what a pressure is. Thanks for clarifying though.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: "Turnover-worthy play analysis: There was no consistent theme to Cousins’ turnover-worthy plays, as he had bad fumbles in the pocket, misreads of zone coverage and off-target throws into man coverage sprinkled throughout his game. He started and ended the season in similar fashion, as his two worst-graded games of season featured far toomany passes that were late and/or inaccurate."

From PFF
I'll try to find the article that put him last in fumbles.
Again, STAT DIGGING! Carson Wentz is on pace to have more fumbles than Cousins in a 3 year window and Rodgers was only a few shy. As well as Wilson and Manning. Is anyone sitting here saying those guys are "fumble machines"?? No. In your quote it says he had "bad" fumbles. OK? Did Aaron Rodgers have "good fumbles"? Is that even a thing? A fumble is a fumble. And bottom line is, he's right on pace with some of the best out there.

Also, I was watching Free Agency Frenzy on NFL Network last night. They went around and asked what QB we should sign. They first asked Charlie Casserly. An ex-GM turned analysts. He said and I quote .....
No doubt I sign Kirk Cousins. And the main reason I take him over everyone else is the CONSISTENCY he has had over the last 3 seasons with the Redskins. Over 4,000 yards, 25+ touchdowns, 93+ passer rating, etc. The other Quarterbacks, they have none of that. He has also had nobody around him during that time period
Michael Irvin responds with "But look at his record over the years."

Casserly responds with "Well get some players to put around him. Thats on Washington"

.....thats his ex-team he's talking about and this is EXACTLY what I have been saying all along. Practically word for word. And clueless analysts like Michael Irvin respond with the record thing. Do you listen to Michael Irvin or Charley Casserly, an ex-GM?? That answer couldn't be more obvious. I would think Casserly knows what he is talking about. So you can take your "I'm a great judge of talent" pitch and throw it out the door. Because if you think I'm going to listen to you and your stat digging over an ex-GM turned analyst, you're dead wrong. So go ahead and go 4 pages back on google to find your fumble article you're looking for. I won't read it. It means nothing to me. I've just provided the stats that everyone needs to see regarding that. He's on pace with some of the best out there when it comes to fumbles. Nobody says a word about them. But I'm sure if you went 4 pages back on google, you might be able to dig up some dirt or Rodgers, Wentz and Wilson too.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PMP - Yikesvikes. I can't do it anymore, guys. You have been arguing over the same topic for weeks. It feels like maybe even my entire life. Please ... just agree to disagree and move on.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:PMP - Yikesvikes. I can't do it anymore, guys. You have been arguing over the same topic for weeks. It feels like maybe even my entire life. Please ... just agree to disagree and move on.
Gladly!
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

How many years do you guys think Cousins wants?,3would be standard ,Im guessing it will take $28 mil per year to sign him.
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

Free agent QB Kirk Cousins is visiting the Vikings first, source said. THat first visit is huge
Rapoport

everything still pointing to Cousins to the Vikings
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

JDLon wrote:
Free agent QB Kirk Cousins is visiting the Vikings first, source said. THat first visit is huge
Rapoport

everything still pointing to Cousins to the Vikings
Also being said it's $28 million/year.

I just watched a video of the new facilities. He's signing unless he's getting $30 million from Arizona or New York.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly