[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The Jets already said they would pay more then that. Do you guys think they were bluffing?
No but at some point 6 extra million minus higher taxes doesn't make much sense. Playing outdoors is probably also a factor. Jets look to be further from contending as well.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

First good QB since Favre. Now use the draft to solidify his protection and get him more weapons.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

autobon7 wrote:Now lets continue to stock up on OL and DL. Will be interesting to see what Murray does.
Would love to add one of the top DTs on the market in Wilkerson or Suh. Pipe dream but, freaking Eagles are loading up.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Im much more worried about the Oline now then Dline. We no no backup QB. Slotter has only thrown a few passes in the NFL. We are going to have to work on a rookie QB, we only have 3 years to get one into shape.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PhillyVike wrote:28 million over three years fully guaranteed is a truck load of risk. I'm excited just as you all are if this really happens but if this guy gets hurt I'm going to cry.
Agreed. I hope you just "knocked on wood" when you said that
I sure did!

My prudent financial self is cringing at the money about to be spent on one member of our organization but then my reflective self is looking at this team without Kirk Cousins and it doesn't look great. The best we could do now if not with Capt. Kirk, would be Bridgewater/AJ McCaron and let them battle it out or sell the farm to move up for Allen/Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. I'd say our management is making the best possible decision with what is possible in 2018.

Get excited!

Queue the Star Trek music!

Capt Kirk is here to save us!

Or not
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

YikesVikes wrote: "Turnover-worthy play analysis: There was no consistent theme to Cousins’ turnover-worthy plays, as he had bad fumbles in the pocket, misreads of zone coverage and off-target throws into man coverage sprinkled throughout his game. He started and ended the season in similar fashion, as his two worst-graded games of season featured far toomany passes that were late and/or inaccurate."

From PFF
I'll try to find the article that put him last in fumbles.
Again, STAT DIGGING! Carson Wentz is on pace to have more fumbles than Cousins in a 3 year window and Rodgers was only a few shy. As well as Wilson and Manning. Is anyone sitting here saying those guys are "fumble machines"?? No. In your quote it says he had "bad" fumbles. OK? Did Aaron Rodgers have "good fumbles"? Is that even a thing? A fumble is a fumble. And bottom line is, he's right on pace with some of the best out there.

Also, I was watching Free Agency Frenzy on NFL Network last night. They went around and asked what QB we should sign. They first asked Charlie Casserly. An ex-GM turned analysts. He said and I quote .....
No doubt I sign Kirk Cousins. And the main reason I take him over everyone else is the CONSISTENCY he has had over the last 3 seasons with the Redskins. Over 4,000 yards, 25+ touchdowns, 93+ passer rating, etc. The other Quarterbacks, they have none of that. He has also had nobody around him during that time period
Michael Irvin responds with "But look at his record over the years."

Casserly responds with "Well get some players to put around him. Thats on Washington"

.....thats his ex-team he's talking about and this is EXACTLY what I have been saying all along. Practically word for word. And clueless analysts like Michael Irvin respond with the record thing. Do you listen to Michael Irvin or Charley Casserly, an ex-GM?? That answer couldn't be more obvious. I would think Casserly knows what he is talking about. So you can take your "I'm a great judge of talent" pitch and throw it out the door. Because if you think I'm going to listen to you and your stat digging over an ex-GM turned analyst, you're dead wrong. So go ahead and go 4 pages back on google to find your fumble article you're looking for. I won't read it. It means nothing to me. I've just provided the stats that everyone needs to see regarding that. He's on pace with some of the best out there when it comes to fumbles. Nobody says a word about them. But I'm sure if you went 4 pages back on google, you might be able to dig up some dirt or Rodgers, Wentz and Wilson too.
Thanks for this. I don't stat dig and so was just reading posts from others who had concerns. I knew if I asked I would get some good info from someone and you provided it!

I feel better now about Cousins. I'm hoping with a good team around him he can do even better than he did in Washington.

Records don't really mean much honestly when it comes to individual talent. Football is a team sport and if the team isn't good the quarterback isn't going to get you to the playoffs. He might get you a few more wins during the season, but the team isn't going far.

So color me more pumped for the season than I was.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

$28 million is bound to happen, we will more than likely lose Kendricks or Hunter now, which will sting.

What gets me mixed about this, is that it’s FULLY GUARANTEED!! This move will make or break a GM, not only that, this will be the new standard of negotiation in the NFL. This just started it.

Spielman, I hope for the sake of the Vikings franchise, you truly know what you’re doing.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

kidfozzy. wrote:$28 million is bound to happen, we will more than likely lose Kendricks or Hunter now, which will sting.

What gets me mixed about this, is that it’s FULLY GUARANTEED!! This move will make or break a GM, not only that, this will be the new standard of negotiation in the NFL. This just started it.

Spielman, I hope for the sake of the Vikings franchise, you truly know what you’re doing.
If Hunter gets back to double digit sacks franchise him. Easier to replace Hunter or Kendricks than get a good QB in the draft.
mael·strom

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:
autobon7 wrote:Now lets continue to stock up on OL and DL. Will be interesting to see what Murray does.
Would love to add one of the top DTs on the market in Wilkerson or Suh. Pipe dream but, freaking Eagles are loading up.
The eagles are also still $3 million under the cap. Talk about a team that wont be able to keep their roster together. They are in a much worse situation that we will ever be. Going into next season they will be SEVENTEEN MILLION over the cap. They could very well be a flash in the pan. Everyone drools over Howie Roseman but at the same time, he's literally burying this team money wise and it's going to effect them BADLY over the next few years.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I dont see us losing Kendricks or Hunter as a sure thing. Remember there is a lot of money coming off of next years books with Robison along with others. Could be some surprise cuts like Rudy. Either way, this is more than doable to keep those guys. There was an article on exactly how we could do it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I dont see us losing Kendricks or Hunter as a sure thing. Remember there is a lot of money coming off of next years books with Robison along with others. Could be some surprise cuts like Rudy. Either way, this is more than doable to keep those guys. There was an article on exactly how we could do it.
Agree.
mael·strom

PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

YikesVikes wrote:
The eagles are also still $3 million under the cap. Talk about a team that wont be able to keep their roster together. They are in a much worse situation that we will ever be. Going into next season they will be SEVENTEEN MILLION over the cap. They could very well be a flash in the pan. Everyone drools over Howie Roseman but at the same time, he's literally burying this team money wise and it's going to effect them BADLY over the next few years.
Yep. The Eagles in 2017 resemble our national debt. Just pay for it later! Except the Eagles can't electronically create 10x the cap space this year like the Fed can. Oops!!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

YikesVikes wrote: "Turnover-worthy play analysis: There was no consistent theme to Cousins’ turnover-worthy plays, as he had bad fumbles in the pocket, misreads of zone coverage and off-target throws into man coverage sprinkled throughout his game. He started and ended the season in similar fashion, as his two worst-graded games of season featured far toomany passes that were late and/or inaccurate."

From PFF
I'll try to find the article that put him last in fumbles.
Again, STAT DIGGING! Carson Wentz is on pace to have more fumbles than Cousins in a 3 year window and Rodgers was only a few shy. As well as Wilson and Manning. Is anyone sitting here saying those guys are "fumble machines"?? No. In your quote it says he had "bad" fumbles. OK? Did Aaron Rodgers have "good fumbles"? Is that even a thing? A fumble is a fumble. And bottom line is, he's right on pace with some of the best out there.

Also, I was watching Free Agency Frenzy on NFL Network last night. They went around and asked what QB we should sign. They first asked Charlie Casserly. An ex-GM turned analysts. He said and I quote .....
No doubt I sign Kirk Cousins. And the main reason I take him over everyone else is the CONSISTENCY he has had over the last 3 seasons with the Redskins. Over 4,000 yards, 25+ touchdowns, 93+ passer rating, etc. The other Quarterbacks, they have none of that. He has also had nobody around him during that time period
Michael Irvin responds with "But look at his record over the years."

Casserly responds with "Well get some players to put around him. Thats on Washington"

.....thats his ex-team he's talking about and this is EXACTLY what I have been saying all along. Practically word for word. And clueless analysts like Michael Irvin respond with the record thing. Do you listen to Michael Irvin or Charley Casserly, an ex-GM?? That answer couldn't be more obvious. I would think Casserly knows what he is talking about. So you can take your "I'm a great judge of talent" pitch and throw it out the door. Because if you think I'm going to listen to you and your stat digging over an ex-GM turned analyst, you're dead wrong. So go ahead and go 4 pages back on google to find your fumble article you're looking for. I won't read it. It means nothing to me. I've just provided the stats that everyone needs to see regarding that. He's on pace with some of the best out there when it comes to fumbles. Nobody says a word about them. But I'm sure if you went 4 pages back on google, you might be able to dig up some dirt or Rodgers, Wentz and Wilson too.
I love this signing. I'm not stat digging. I'm mentioning the negatives that comes with this guy. He has some blemishes to a very good resume. His pocket awareness is an issue, one that I hope gets corrected with us.

Yes, I do think there is a difference in fumbles. There are sometimes a guy has no chance I'm the pocket because his LT whiffed and he gets crushed. Then there are times when a guy stands in a clean pocket too long and never feels the pressure. Too many of Kirks fumbles are the latter.

Bottom line, he's going to make us better but he like every play has a wart or two
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I don't think the Eagles will be too upset if they go back to back. They just won thwir franchises first chip with that depth. Would you risk losing a player or two off this defense in exchange for a chip?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Sam to Cards.
Those compensation picks are going to be fantastic.
I'm guessing a 4 for Sam and a 5/6 for Teddy. Case would have been a 3 but Cousin cancels him out.