2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

NFL News - Browns sign LB Mychal Kendricks, won Super Bowl with Eagles

Post by Cliff »

CLEVELAND (AP) The Browns signed free agent linebacker Mychal Kendricks, who started last season for the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles.

Source: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/sto ... 60518
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I dont know why I feel this way but I feel like Spielman made a mistake right there not trying to unload Barr via trade and signing Kendricks. I'm starting to worry that Barr is going to take precedence over someone like Diggs or Hunter (or even Richardson) and if that's the case, I'm gonna be ticked.

Like I said, we could've landed at worst, a 2nd round pick for Barr, unloaded his $12 million we're paying him this year and sign Kendricks with (some of) that money to a 2-3 year deal that wouldnt cost us what Barr would. And if we did, we dont skip a beat, dont have a hole at SLB (if we were to let Barr walk in FA) and land at least a 2nd round pick. And now have more wiggle room for Diggs, Hunter and possibly Richardson.

Instead, we're either going to re-sign Barr and lose out on 1 or 2 of the "big 3" which kills us

OR

Let Barr walk, gain a max of a 3rd round compensatory pick (practically 4th rounder) and now have a huge hole at SLB. Which will probably force us to draft one early next year.

I guess a hidden possibility is that the Browns let Kendricks walk next offseason, we let Barr walk and then sign Kendricks in free agency. Didnt really think of that one until now. Although we still only gain a 3rd comp. pick for Barr when we couldve gotten more if we traded him now.

Clearly I'm bummed out about this :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I got the feeling Barr is going to jump
no matter what.

I don't think anyone has gone after
Richie Igonito (sp) yet ..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Vikings sign Mike Needham, waive/injured Hercules Mata’afa

Post by Cliff »

Rookie defensive end Hercules Mata'afa tore his ACL in a Vikings OTA practice earlier this month and the team made a move to fill his roster spot on Wednesday. The Vikings announced that they have signed linebacker Mike Needham. Mata’afa has been waived with an injury designation and will revert to injured reserve or receive [more]

Read more
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings sign Mike Needham, waive/injured Hercules Mata’afa

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VMB News Bot wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 pm Rookie defensive end Hercules Mata'afa tore his ACL in a Vikings OTA practice earlier this month and the team made a move to fill his roster spot on Wednesday. The Vikings announced that they have signed linebacker Mike Needham. Mata’afa has been waived with an injury designation and will revert to injured reserve or receive [more]

Read more
Still bumbed he got hurt.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Vikings Add Offensive Lineman J.P Quinn to Roster

Post by Cliff »

Vikings Add Offensive Lineman J.P Quinn to Roster

Read more
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Better this way for Kai too. He might be able to catch on with a team before the season.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Adiós Kai

Post by Texas Vike »

Released this morning, per Ben Goessling on the twitter sphere.

That was quick! :lol:
Cliff
Site Admin

Vikings add a pair of players

Post by Cliff »

The Vikings began the process of restocking the roster after suffering a load of injuries in their last preseason game.

The team announced they signed a pair of players — fullback Kobe McCrary and guard Kareem Are.
Read more
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:19 pm Better this way for Kai too. He might be able to catch on with a team before the season.
He'll sign somewhere. Does Seattle still need a kicker?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Kareem Are NFL.Com Draft Profile
STRENGTHS Has the overall mass and length that will appeal to NFL offensive line coaches. Hands take a direct track to opponent's frame when he punches. Has some pop at the end of his punch. Battles hard to stay connected with his blocks on the move. Adequate ability to pull and make contact in space. Very effective with his cut blocks.

WEAKNESSES Sloppy body is carrying too much bad weight. Slow out of his stance and into lateral movement. Can't get reach blocks secured. Waist-bender whose weight is always way too far out in front. Leads with his head and feet stay way behind the action. Lacks reactive quickness to handle sudden redirection. Slow to locate twists and stunts headed his direction. Has issues anchoring against bull-rushers.

DRAFT PROJECTION UDFA

BOTTOM LINE Are has the massive frame and quality length that would be a fit at that position, but his body control and athleticism might be too far below average for it to matter. His play strength could benefit from trimming down and grinding in the weight room, but he appears to be a longshot to make a team at this point.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:28 pm He'll sign somewhere. Does Seattle still need a kicker?
Nah. They just cut Jason Myers to keep Janikowski.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Huh. Via Pelissero, recently-released Bengals safety George Iloka is visiting Minnesota and likely to sign today.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am Huh. Via Pelissero, recently-released Bengals safety George Iloka is visiting Minnesota and likely to sign today.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rge-iloka/
Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was the Bengals’ defensive coordinator for Iloka’s first two seasons in Cincinnati, so there’s a comfort level between them, and a belief that Iloka can get up to speed in Minnesota quickly.

Iloka started all 16 games last season for the Bengals and should be able to start in Minnesota as well. In Minnesota Iloka would likely be the starting strong safety, and pairing him with starting free safety Harrison Smith would give the Vikings one of the best safety combos in the league.