2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:@CourtneyRCronin
37m
Vikings departed free agents (updated) Keenum - Denver Bradford - Arizona Bridgewater - Jets McKinnon - San Francisco
Sirles - Carolina Johnson - Seattle Lamur - Oakland Brock - Denver

@christomasson
19m
Remaining #Vikings unrestricted free agents are CBs Terence Newman and Marcus Sherels, DT Shamar Stephen, WR Michael Floyd and RB Bishop Sankey. Vikings hoping to keep Newman and Sherels, Stephen is making the visiting rounds, Floyd and Sankey not expected back.
I'm surprised they arent keeping Stephen as a depth piece. Although, Zim mentioned in his presser after they signed Richardson that he's been watching a lot of tape on 3 tech DTs in the draft. My guess is they are still going to draft one even though we have Richardson this year. Hopefully Jaleel makes a jump as well. I'm guessing he is going to have Jaleel back up Linval and whatever 3 tech we draft back up Richardson. This DL is going to be DEEP :shock:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
halfgiz wrote:@CourtneyRCronin
37m
Vikings departed free agents (updated) Keenum - Denver Bradford - Arizona Bridgewater - Jets McKinnon - San Francisco
Sirles - Carolina Johnson - Seattle Lamur - Oakland Brock - Denver

@christomasson
19m
Remaining #Vikings unrestricted free agents are CBs Terence Newman and Marcus Sherels, DT Shamar Stephen, WR Michael Floyd and RB Bishop Sankey. Vikings hoping to keep Newman and Sherels, Stephen is making the visiting rounds, Floyd and Sankey not expected back.
I'm surprised they arent keeping Stephen as a depth piece. Although, Zim mentioned in his presser after they signed Richardson that he's been watching a lot of tape on 3 tech DTs in the draft. My guess is they are still going to draft one even though we have Richardson this year. Hopefully Jaleel makes a jump as well. I'm guessing he is going to have Jaleel back up Linval and whatever 3 tech we draft back up Richardson. This DL is going to be DEEP :shock:
We absolutely still need to draft s DT, especially if Stephen signs elsewhere. Hurst is the dream but he's looking cleared from a medicals standpoint and will likely be long gone. Richardson is a one-year rental. Hopefully Johnson gets after it this year and we can put him in at DT next year and get some good play. I still like him a lot.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

They really better sign Sherels. There is no reason not to.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

I am a little disappointed that we have not signed another couple linemen.. There has to be some cheap roster flyers left out there or even mid price starter material left?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Stephen joins Johnson in Seattle
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Bigwehrm wrote:I am a little disappointed that we have not signed another couple linemen.. There has to be some cheap roster flyers left out there or even mid price starter material left?
I'm sure there are. And I wouldnt be surprised if we have our eye on some. But at the same time, I'm sure we have a lot we are looking at in the draft.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I really hope they get Sherels resigned soon. He's vital on special teams, in my opinion, and is fine in the backup CB role.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Bigwehrm wrote:I am a little disappointed that we have not signed another couple linemen.. There has to be some cheap roster flyers left out there or even mid price starter material left?
Yeah, but who?

I get people want them to fill all their needs, I'm pretty sure Rick and Zim want to do that to. The question is who is out there right now to sign?? Free Agency can be a salary cap minefield, we have to recognize that the fact they have so much cap space available right now is because they have done a good job of consistently navigating that minefield. Let's not get bent out of shape just yet because there is currently a hole on the roster. We still have the draft, trades, etc.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
Yeah, but who?

I get people want them to fill all their needs, I'm pretty sure Rick and Zim want to do that to. The question is who is out there right now to sign?? Free Agency can be a salary cap minefield, we have to recognize that the fact they have so much cap space available right now is because they have done a good job of consistently navigating that minefield. Let's not get bent out of shape just yet because there is currently a hole on the roster. We still have the draft, trades, etc.
Agreed. Still have plenty of avenues we can take to fill any remaining holes. From what I can remember, the Vikings have never been in cap hell since Spielman took over in 2012. We already invested a ton in Kirk, signed a stud in Richardson and dabbled with some lower end players like Seimien and Compton. Time to continue to build through the draft now.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:I really hope they get Sherels resigned soon. He's vital on special teams, in my opinion, and is fine in the backup CB role.
I saw a report he signed with Carolina but that seems to have been a mistake. I wonder if we are making a strong push that made him change his mind at the last minute.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

S197 wrote:
Cliff wrote:I really hope they get Sherels resigned soon. He's vital on special teams, in my opinion, and is fine in the backup CB role.
I saw a report he signed with Carolina but that seems to have been a mistake. I wonder if we are making a strong push that made him change his mind at the last minute.
With these second tier players, there's a lot of wait and see until after the draft. I want him back strictly for special teams. He's one of the only guys that hasn't made me extremely nervous on punt returns (i.e. he actually catches the ball, doesn't fumble and occasionally rips off a long return).
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

mansquatch wrote:
Yeah, but who?

A late round pick for Veldheer would have been a good deal. I would rather have a line with only 1 rookie on it I stead of hoping g that you hit on 2 rookies to start. Berger gone, sires gone and we have signed one replacement. They better be drafting linemen this year.
VikesWookie
Waterboy

Post by VikesWookie »

I like what the Vikes have done so far. They dealt with the #1 off-season question QB. Starter and backup... They also got an established dominant 3 tech DT to put next to Linval. Nothing in the draft couldve taken care of this need. We got a depth guy on the OL and shored up contractually on a K. If the brass like some udfa camp kicker better... Then so be it.
I like the thought of OL in the draft... There's not much FA help we can attain on the OL keeping our contract leverage. There may be some help for veteran minimum after the draft if there's a need to push for roster spots.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sherels is back.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote:Sherels is back.

This is a quality signing IMO. He provides great help on ST and as a backup in the secondary. Bravo!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi