2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:
mansquatch wrote:EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.
Richardson is probably a one-year rental. DT remains a need post-2018.
Not necessarily. He's still young and if he has a big year, dont be surprised if we extend him next year. Gonna be tight but if he performs that well, maybe we go that route and look elsewhere in the draft.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm not entirely sold on Richardson. We should keep in mind that he was let go by Seattle where he was hyped to be some great thing, yet their defense continues to slide. We still have a need at that slot, it just isn't an immediate gaping hole like RG.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
mansquatch wrote:EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.
Richardson is probably a one-year rental. DT remains a need post-2018.
Not necessarily. He's still young and if he has a big year, dont be surprised if we extend him next year. Gonna be tight but if he performs that well, maybe we go that route and look elsewhere in the draft.
Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Wayne's and now Richardson? If they fit all those guys under the cap with large extensions I'd be shocked. I just don't see it.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:I'm not entirely sold on Richardson. We should keep in mind that he was let go by Seattle where he was hyped to be some great thing, yet their defense continues to slide. We still have a need at that slot, it just isn't an immediate gaping hole like RG.
He's been excellent in New York and Seattle. He doesnt have the big time numbers but is a constant disruption in the backfield. Seattle also let go half their defense because they were buried in cap space. So just because they let him go doesnt mean that was a knock on him.
He was a force in both the run game and in the pass-rush this year. Through 17 weeks of the 2017 season, Richardson racked up 36 total quarterback pressures and 22 run stops, which ranked ninth and 17th among defensive tackles this year, respectively.
Thats plenty enough to convince me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Wayne's and now Richardson? If they fit all those guys under the cap with large extensions I'd be shocked. I just don't see it.
No I'm not saying all of them. I'm saying that they could choose a guy like Richardson over Barr. It's all going to be dependent on who they draft this year. If they draft a 3 tech, they could let Richardson walk. If they select Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, who we've been all over from what I've seen, Barr is likely a goner.
-Chazz Palminteri
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

mansquatch wrote:I'm not entirely sold on Richardson. We should keep in mind that he was let go by Seattle where he was hyped to be some great thing, yet their defense continues to slide. We still have a need at that slot, it just isn't an immediate gaping hole like RG.
To clarify, his contract expired and Seattle wanted to re-sign him, but not pay franchise tag dollars.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.
I'd have to argue the contrary. Dylan Bradley is our backup behind Linval right now. The guy is like 265 lbs. Jaleel has also struggled in run defense. It is very thin behind our starting DT's.

For DE's, we still have Robison and Bower looked decent in limited time/preseason. There's also Ifeadi and Weatherly. I think it's certainly a need area but right now DT is by far the biggest need. It's also not a very deep DT class if you believe PFF.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
No I'm not saying all of them. I'm saying that they could choose a guy like Richardson over Barr. It's all going to be dependent on who they draft this year. If they draft a 3 tech, they could let Richardson walk. If they select Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, who we've been all over from what I've seen, Barr is likely a goner.
Gotcha. That makes sense then. Can't keep them all, unfortunately. Why the draft is so critically important.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My biggest concern with Diggs is his health. He has yet to play a full 16 game season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Honestly I am totally guessing but I
don't see Diggs and Barr signing

Diggs is bound to get huge money
and like almost all wide outs is bound
to have a big ego.

Barr seems to a little up and down
and is a Southern California guy.
I know Kendricks and him are buds
but unless we win a championship
and look to get more I think he might
bolt.

I like Barr and Diggs both but FA
change teams a lot ..we got cousins
because we manage the cap well
and a top NFL team.

The Rams will have huge problem
in the next three seasons but LA
is a great place if you have money
and they have a lot of talent. Will
see how they manage all the egos
too.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Diggs is special. He needs to be a Viking for life. Just pay him.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Diggs is special. He needs to be a Viking for life. Just pay him.
+1
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Honestly I am totally guessing but I
don't see Diggs and Barr signing

Diggs is bound to get huge money
and like almost all wide outs is bound
to have a big ego.

Barr seems to a little up and down
and is a Southern California guy.
I know Kendricks and him are buds
but unless we win a championship
and look to get more I think he might
bolt.

I like Barr and Diggs both but FA
change teams a lot ..we got cousins
because we manage the cap well
and a top NFL team.

The Rams will have huge problem
in the next three seasons but LA
is a great place if you have money
and they have a lot of talent. Will
see how they manage all the egos
too.
I think they'll keep Diggs, Barr and Hunter, but trade Waynes and restructure/cut/trade Everson and Rudolph.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I am think they let Barr go. We should know more when the draft comes. If they pick a LB with one of their top picks, i think Barr is gone. He and Waynes would be tied, but Waynes has really done well at run stopping. Its instinctive to him I think. Barr, other then his rookie year, has not lived up to the level he can play at. He should be a beast, hes a athletic freak. But I think a good LB could do as good as he has been doing. Would suck to lose him though for a lot of reasons, one of them being every time we play the Packers they will hate on him. And Erin will try and piss him off lol.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think they keep Barr and let Waynes go, maybe they find a way to keep them both and let Hunter go, which i would like to see happen.