2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings re-signed K Kai Forbath.

Forbath had one of his better seasons last year, converting 32-of-38 attempts with a long of 53 yards. The 30-year-old should have plenty of field goal opportunities kicking for what should be a high-scoring Vikings offense. Playing his home games indoors at U.S. Bank Stadium won't hurt either.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Sigh...
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

S197 wrote:Sigh...
And Ugh...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Not that bothered by it. I would think they would bring in competition
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Another thing with Forbath. At least he made some FGs when the game was on the line unlike Walsh. Let’s not forget that he hit a 53 yarder with 1:40 left in the saints game to put us ahead. He misses that and there is no Minneapolis miracle. That was a play that not many talked about. That essentially won us that game. To hit a 50+ yarder when the game was on the line, in the playoffs, under that kind of pressure, etc is no easy task whatsoever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Another thing with Forbath. At least he made some FGs when the game was on the line unlike Walsh. Let’s not forget that he hit a 53 yarder with 1:40 left in the saints game to put us ahead. He misses that and there is no Minneapolis miracle. That was a play that not many talked about. That essentially won us that game. To hit a 50+ yarder when the game was on the line, in the playoffs, under that kind of pressure, etc is no easy task whatsoever.
He isnt reliable, just like Walsh wasnt. We waited too long to cut Walsh and now we are doing the same with Forbath. Wow, he actually did his job and hit a 50 yard FG when he was under pressure. Unbelievable a kicker would do his only job in a game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Another thing with Forbath. At least he made some FGs when the game was on the line unlike Walsh. Let’s not forget that he hit a 53 yarder with 1:40 left in the saints game to put us ahead. He misses that and there is no Minneapolis miracle. That was a play that not many talked about. That essentially won us that game. To hit a 50+ yarder when the game was on the line, in the playoffs, under that kind of pressure, etc is no easy task whatsoever.
He isnt reliable, just like Walsh wasnt. We waited too long to cut Walsh and now we are doing the same with Forbath. Wow, he actually did his job and hit a 50 yard FG when he was under pressure. Unbelievable a kicker would do his only job in a game.
Stop replying to each other. You guys are worse than my girlfriend's three year old.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The way I see it Forbath is what we're stuck with until we find a better option and I'm not sure one currently exists - I hope that changes.

Forbath was below average in percentage of FGs made and among the worst in the league (30th?) in percentage of extra points made.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Stop replying to each other. You guys are worse than my girlfriend's three year old.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Please keep the comments towards football and not other posters.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Yeah because nailing a 53 yarder in the playoffs with the game on the line is a pretty easy task. Find me another kicker out there. Please. Because right now it's as follows:

Sebastian Janikowski- who's 40 and didnt even play last year due to a back injury which obviously isnt a good injury for a kicker to have

Blair Walsh- Enough said

Nick Novak- who was a whopping 69% last year

Mike Nugent- who has played 8 games in two years

Patrick Murray- who has played 14 games in two years and has changed teams 3 times in his 3 year career

Connor Barth- who was a whopping 68% last year and was cut

Travis Coons- Only played 3 games last year and was cut. They were his first appearances since 2015

Nick Folk- took 11 FGs last year and made 6. A gross 54%

Younghoe Koo- Literally cost the Chargers games last year and in the end, cost them a playoff birth because he couldnt hit anything in the first 4 weeks. Chargers started 0-4.

.....there are the kickers for you. Forbath is easily a better bet than any one of them. Either way just because we signed him doesnt mean we wont draft one or at least bring in competition. I'll take a guy that hits a clutch 53 yarder in the playoffs with the game on the line over any one of those duds I listed any day of the week. But again, its just something else you didnt bother researching. Weird
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

A few interesting names still out there-wonder if we can get a bargain signing or two from guys who want to win. Does Cousins like Pryor (I know they had a bad year together, but he would be an intriguing #3)? How much is Vaccarro going to ask for? Could he replace Sendejo or are they the same kind of player?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That was certainly a clutch kick. My worry is his weak leg is such a liability, as is his penchant to miss PATs. He kicks in a dome so he's probably good out to 55 yards but I feel as though an NFL kicker should be able to at least attempt at 60+. I don't know that we would even try a FG @ 60 yards. Also, the Vikings ranked really low in touchbacks, which is also largely due to his weaker than average leg.

I'd have to think there are better options. I'm hopeful for at least some competition in camp.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:
That was certainly a clutch kick. My worry is his weak leg is such a liability, as is his penchant to miss PATs. He kicks in a dome so he's probably good out to 55 yards but I feel as though an NFL kicker should be able to at least attempt at 60+. I don't know that we would even try a FG @ 60 yards. Also, the Vikings ranked really low in touchbacks, which is also largely due to his weaker than average leg.

I'd have to think there are better options. I'm hopeful for at least some competition in camp.
He has a weak leg? I guess I never thought that. What's interesting is that his average kickoff length is in the top-10 (.4 off supposed big legged Zuerlein) yet the Vikings had a good number returned. Is it a hang time thing maybe?

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats. ... sort=koavg

His 130 points were 10th in the league.

His career long is 57. That's adequate.

If there's a guy in the draft you like as an UDFA or 7th-rounder, sure. But I thought Kai did well, particularly after moving his PATs to the right hash (did he miss any after that?). An upgrade would be nice but I'll take a repeat 2017 from Kai (with a few fewer missed PATs). He was pretty consistent and clutch at times.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:He has a weak leg? I guess I never thought that. What's interesting is that his average kickoff length is in the top-10 (.4 off supposed big legged Zuerlein) yet the Vikings had a good number returned. Is it a hang time thing maybe?

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats. ... sort=koavg

His 130 points were 10th in the league.

His career long is 57. That's adequate.

If there's a guy in the draft you like as an UDFA or 7th-rounder, sure. But I thought Kai did well, particularly after moving his PATs to the right hash (did he miss any after that?). An upgrade would be nice but I'll take a repeat 2017 from Kai (with a few fewer missed PATs). He was pretty consistent and clutch at times.
He has a 57-yarder but that was 1 kick. His first 3 years in the league his long was 50, 50, and 49. Attempting anywhere between 1-3 50+ a year. Last year it went up to 9 attempts, I'm guessing because he gets to play a minimum of 9 games indoors. But less than 3 attempts per year on average tells me there's not a whole lot of faith he can make it from distance unless he's in ideal conditions.

I'm not sure what's the deal with kickoffs, just that he gets a lot of them returned.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:

I mean I dont think his leg is the strongest that's for sure but I would say it's average. The PATs do worry me. But I listed every free agent kicker out there that has played meaningful games in the last few years and what I listed are our current options. None are promising. Maybe Janikowski if he could prove he's healthy but it's also a risk. Our best bet would be to draft one or sign an UDFA for competition. Outside of that, I would say he's our best option right now no doubt given whats out there.
-Chazz Palminteri