Zim on Hot Seat?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by S197 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:Yeah I agree that's more of a GM thing. Now if we grab Cousins, go 4-12, and have a bottom 10 defense that would be on Zimm.
Even if we do get Cousins we will still need to somehow improve the OL.
They can shore up the interior in free agency (Norwell, Pugh) or via draft. Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5382
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 pm

S197 wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:Yeah I agree that's more of a GM thing. Now if we grab Cousins, go 4-12, and have a bottom 10 defense that would be on Zimm.
Even if we do get Cousins we will still need to somehow improve the OL.
They can shore up the interior in free agency (Norwell, Pugh) or via draft. Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks.
Signing Norwell will put way too much money on our OL IMO. Dallas is in cap hell for it right now. And they'll be lucky to get out of it anytime soon. 3 offensive lineman getting paid nearly $10 million and Collins making $5 million. The Cowboys have $48 million invested in their OL right now. And they have the 29th worst cap in the NFL right now. With a terrible defense and Zeke and Dak still sitting on rookie contracts. That's not good. I don't want to get in that position. Keep drafting. Keep the OL young.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Image

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8371
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 pm

I dont think building an elite Oline and getting Case for a few years is a bad idea. Now If I thought Cousins was as good as some, I would say do the deal now. But last year showed, a good Oline makes the team look so much better. Now if we can find out why the D looks bad some times, we might have a dynasty even with Case. With Cousins, Rick will always be looking at the cap. We will not end up with cap for under 30 mil. Case might be 21 mil. Thats a big difference in money for less wins and some stats that are meaningless now.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11369
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by S197 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:56 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Signing Norwell will put way too much money on our OL IMO. Dallas is in cap hell for it right now. And they'll be lucky to get out of it anytime soon. 4 offensive lineman getting paid nearly $10 million and Collins making $5 million. The Cowboys have $48 million invested in their OL right now. And they have the 29th worst cap in the NFL right now. With a terrible defense and Zeke and Dak still sitting on rookie contracts. That's not good. I don't want to get in that position. Keep drafting. Keep the OL young.
I'm okay with that considering you can get top tier interior lineman where the Vikings are drafting. Depending on his cost I still like Pugh despite his age. He's above average and also provides versatility. It would be nice if Isidora pans out but we just didn't see enough of him to tell.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5382
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Zim on Hot Seat?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 am

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I dont think building an elite Oline and getting Case for a few years is a bad idea. Now If I thought Cousins was as good as some, I would say do the deal now. But last year showed, a good Oline makes the team look so much better. Now if we can find out why the D looks bad some times, we might have a dynasty even with Case. With Cousins, Rick will always be looking at the cap. We will not end up with cap for under 30 mil. Case might be 21 mil. Thats a big difference in money for less wins and some stats that are meaningless now.
Yeah let’s bring up those wins for the 13th time. Been there done that.

As for that idea, we can sign cousins, keep drafting OL and keep the line young

OR

Pay case and pay a guy like Norwell and now we’re paying more for them then we are cousins by a good chunk. We’re worried about getting into cap hell with cousins but we’re ok with that? Paying Norwell and Case a combined $35 million. That straps us even more for cap going forward. Now we have 3 highly paid OL that’s going to kill our cap along with $22 million at qb. So how does that situation help our D “stay together”? It makes it worse. Like $7-8 million dollars worse. If we want to pay that, go sign a middle of the road offensive lineman like Omameh, Slauson, Kline or maybe even Sitton and sign cousins. Why does it have to be the best OL out there?

Some would say “ well wouldn’t you rather have Case and Norwell vs cousins and Sitton?” No. Case brings too much of a risk. We need stability at the QB position more than the OL position. If case is a one year wonder, now we’re screwed and back to square one. Clearly cousins isn’t a one year wonder.

Cousins and Sitton is more of a sure thing than Case and Norwell. Mainly because of the giant risk that comes with Case. If we want to spend $35 million on two players, go with what’s more of a sure thing.

Either way, I’d much rather draft interior OL than to sign. Keep our OL cap reasonable in the upcoming years and have a franchise QB. Build the OL through the draft. Not free agency. Yes last year helped with Reiff and Remmers but we did our part there. Now let’s keep the cost low and draft good offensive lineman
0 x
Image

Post Reply