Keep or cut: Latavius Murray

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

McKinnon headed to FA, Murray will be paid $5.15 this year million if we keep him.

Cut Latavius Murray
45%
Keep Latavius Murray
55%

Total votes: 40

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Keep or cut: Latavius Murray

Post by 720pete »

McKinnon headed to FA, Murray will be paid $5.15 million if we keep him.
ocampo82
Backup

Re: Keep or cut: Latavius Murray

Post by ocampo82 »

I thought he played well, but his salary is too high for his 2017 production and projected role behind Cook in 2018
Last edited by ocampo82 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He played well, got better as the season progressed. But I think we can get the same type of back cheaper, like Blount maybe.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

He's the 11th highest paid RB in the league and not even the best one on our team. He'll need to restructure and be ok with a backup role to stay. I don't see it.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I say cut him and draft another RB in the mid-late rounds like Josh Adams out of ND, Jaylen Samuels out of NC state or Kyle Hicks from TCU
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I wouldn't have a problem with restructuring Murray. I wonder what kind of RB Flip prefers?
Also would Mack Brown or Bishop Sankey be something we could use?

If McKinnon leaves not sure we would want to also let Murray go too.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think every team does need a powerback for the red zone and he can certainly function as that but his salary is a little high. If he can be convinced to take a pay cut that would be great if not I'd prefer to let him go and draft a bulldozer.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

MrPurplenGold wrote:I say cut him and draft another RB in the mid-late rounds like Josh Adams out of ND, Jaylen Samuels out of NC state or Kyle Hicks from TCU
Why not? Anything Jet can do, Cook can do better, including blocking and catching screens and passes out of the backfield. If Murray can prove himself a power back, the Vikes will re-sign if he lowers his salary. I bet Murray doesnt touch the ball 10 times a game. If something (god forbid) happens to Murray a lot of people will be happy we held onto him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Cliff wrote:He's the 11th highest paid RB in the league and not even the best one on our team. He'll need to restructure and be ok with a backup role to stay. I don't see it.
OTOH, it could be argued that he had a not so insignificant role in the success of the latter 3/4 of our season. Who will be that guy if Cook is hurt again in 2018? I do agree that at face value his contract is silly. (Really a result of the fact that FA happens before the draft.) Murray probably isn't worth $5MM a year, but then again, Cook is on a rookie deal which is relatively cheap. Not sure this one is as simple as it seems.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mansquatch wrote:
Cliff wrote:He's the 11th highest paid RB in the league and not even the best one on our team. He'll need to restructure and be ok with a backup role to stay. I don't see it.
OTOH, it could be argued that he had a not so insignificant role in the success of the latter 3/4 of our season. Who will be that guy if Cook is hurt again in 2018? I do agree that at face value his contract is silly. (Really a result of the fact that FA happens before the draft.) Murray probably isn't worth $5MM a year, but then again, Cook is on a rookie deal which is relatively cheap. Not sure this one is as simple as it seems.
I suppose that's true. Plus there is plenty of cap space to keep him on. There's really not much incentive to cut him.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mansquatch wrote:
I agree. 5 mil is not a lot at this point for the Vikings. I'd keep him another year. I think he'd be a great 3rd down back.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Keep. I think he showed that he has some value, and while I do believe in the idea of having a "changeup" running back who is drastically different from your other running back(s), I also recognize that both Murray and Cook are very versatile which is arguably better. They have different styles to be sure, I think Murray's gonna use his height a lot more because the dude's 6'3 and around 215-220 lbs I believe (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that), and he seems to be able to get some tough yards when we need it. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that we don't want to be stuck with absolutely nobody in case Cook returns and isn't as good as he used to be which has happened before with ACL injuries. I don't know if that's the case, I don't necessarily think so or anything, but I've heard that lateral movements become more of a problem when the ACL is injured.
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

Slick Rick is right about lateral moves, the ACL is what allows you to plant a foot and make cuts at speed. I'd like to keep Murray around just in case - his experience could also be useful for someone like Cook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think he'll stay, whether they approach him about restructuring is a different question.

What is it, 6 days until the league new year? Next week should be interesting. I expect we'll be a big player in the Cousins sweepstakes. (that might even be wrapped up already we just don't know it yet.)

The next question is if there anyone at DT 3T who could make a difference. If they could a proven commodity (maybe Miami wants to trade Su?) that would stack the deck for this roster, barring injury.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What was Murray's avg yards after contact? I feel like he doesn't play up to his size and goes down pretty easy. He seems to be more of a patient, let your blocks develop, type of runner than a guy who can move piles. That's fine but I feel like the Vikings may be better off with the latter, a guy that can get tough third and short and endzone yards.