PHP's "Run to the SB" Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PHP's "Run to the SB" Mock

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I always say, I'm not saying this is what's going to happen. Will it be correct, no. I have hit on a decent number of picks over the years (Munnerlyn, Hill and Jennings in FA, Waynes, Patterson, Hodges, Harrison Smith and Floyd but it's next to impossible to ever get these right but I know you guys enjoy the read. I look to assess our current needs as best as I can and keeping it as realistic as possible.

I must say, I do a lot of research on these guys and if you look at my previous mocks, many of the guys I have us selecting may not be making an impact for us but they are making a big impact elsewhere.

REMEMBER ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!! I am not adding money into these deals because it's impossible to predict

The Vikings finish 13-3 and receive the 30th pick in the 2018 NFL draft

OFFSEASON OVERVIEW

2018 Vikings Free Agents/Cuts/Restructures

Cuts

DT- Shariff Floyd- This move saves over $6 million in cap room so it's a must. However I did see there could be some kind of grievance going on. It's too bad that this happened. Floyd was a very good player and our future at 3 tech IMO

Retires

OG- Joe Berger- He's been solid since filling in a few years back but he did mention he's looking into retirement. I could see him giving it one more shot on a one year deal. Who knows.

Restructures

RB- Latavius Murray- I think Murray likes it here but knows at the same time he isnt starting over Cook. Murray would be a solid spell back for Cook. We save some cap room here.

WR- Jarius Wright- He nearly made as much as Thielen did this year. I think we give him an extension to gain more cap room. He's a solid #3/#4 to have

Restricted Free Agents

OG- Nick Easton (Tendered at the 2nd round level)- solid find by Spielman in that Hodges trade. Not our best lineman but serviceable.

S- Anthony Harris (Tendered at the 2nd round level)- Harris was solid as a replacement and on special teams

G/T- Jeremiah Sirles (Tendered at the 2nd round level)- Reason being is that if we do "original round tender" someone can sign him and we get nothing in return because he was undrafted. He's a valuable depth piece.

Unrestricted Free Agents

CB- Terence Newman (1 year deal)- Newman says he wants to play another year. His play has dipped but he's still a valuable piece in many ways.

LB- Emmanuel Lamur (2 year deal)- He can fill in at any spot and is solid on ST. Another good depth piece

KR/PR- Marcus Sherels (3 year deal)- Has been a solid returner for us

DT- Shamar Stephen (3 year deal)- Has been a good player for being a 7th round pick. He's good depth

CB- Tramaine Brock (1 year deal)- Depth signing

K- Kai Forbath (1 year deal)- They keep him and bring in competition.

Let Walk

QB- Case Keenum- This was a tough one. I just feel like Zim felt like Case was riding a wave this past season and doesnt have much confidence in him. IMO it's either keep Case or get Cousins. No other options IMO

QB- Sam Bradford- Great QB with bad luck IMO.

QB- Teddy Bridgewater- I feel bad for Teddy but I think this is the best option.

RB- Jerick McKinnon- I love Jet but he wants to play a bigger role. Dont be surprised if he lands with the Giants

RB- Bishop Sankey- no worries here.

WR- Michael Floyd- Never been a fan. Would like to see more of Coley

DT- Tom Johnson- had us resigning him but decided against it last minute. Keeping Stephen provides depth and we’re hitting the DL hard in the draft

Spielman has the offseason of a lifetime

QB- Kirk Cousins- 5 year deal

-The best QB to hit FA in a long time. Making this happen makes us a SB favorite.

CB/S- Jaylen Watkins - 3 year deal

-Rapoport just came out and said he will not get tendered by Philly. He provides quality depth and can play outside, inside or safety. Provides us with a lot of versatility.

OT- Cameron Fleming- 1 year deal

-Fleming has been a valuable reserve for the Pats the past few years.

RB- Brandon Oliver- 1 year deal

-Oliver will fill McKinnon's third down role

Round 1 (30th overall)

DT- Maurice Hurst- Michigan

-It was between him or Price right here. But with Price getting injured I'm going this route now. Hurst is a 3 tech who would fit perfectly in our system. A ton of quickness of the snap and seemed to always be disrupting backfields.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1v5XgjM6eY&t=65s

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 2nd round pick (62nd overall), 5th round pick (158th overall), 2019 7th round pick to the Buffalo Bills for their 2nd round pick (53rd overall)

Round 2 (53rd overall) (via Buffalo)

OG- Will Hernandez- UTEP

With Price going down I decided to switch this up. Hernandez is a very good guard coming out of a small school. He is the strongest guard in the draft putting up 37 on the bench. He's a mauler in the run and solid is pass pro. Immediate starter for us.

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 3rd round pick (94th overall) to the Cleveland Browns for their 4th round pick (100th overall) and their 5th round pick (155th overall)

Round 4 (100th overall) (via Cleveland)

QB- Luke Falk- Washington St.

-I've always been a big Falk fan. He's has actually been compared to guess who.....Kirk Cousins. He's a true pocket passer with excellent accuracy.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8gD1BqwbT0

Round 4 (Traded to Philadelphia for Bradford)

Round 5 (155th overall) (via Cleveland)

DE/DT- Rasheem Green- USC

-Green played DT for USC but will probably be a DE in the NFL. Either way, he is a good pass rusher that provides versatility and depth.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdO_aTt1O-U

Round 6 (204th overall)

OT/OG- Toby Weathersby- LSU

-Weathersby was solid for LSU this year. He has great size but can also kick into guard. Provides us depth and versatility.

Round 6 (213th overall) (Compensatory)

LB- Shaquem Griffin- UCF

-Interesting story. Griffen is actually missing his left hand but has made a major impact the last two seasons. Could be a low risk high reward type player. He would be a 1st-2nd round talent if it wasn’t for his hand. At worst he’s a stud special teamer for us

-------TRADE-------

Vikings trade their 6th round pick (218th overall) (Compensatory) to the Seattle Seahawks for their 7th round pick (226th overall) and 7th round pick (235th overall)

Round 7 (226th overall) (via Seattle)

TE- Ian Thomas- Indiana

-Athletic TE with good route running ability. Could be a backup to Rudy

Round 7 (235th overall) (via Seattle)

OG- Wyatt Teller- Virginia Tech

-Weight room freak and is a stud when drive blocking. However, his play dipped in 2017 for unknown reasons. If he can get back to 2016 form, he could be a stud in the making

KEY UDFA:

K- Daniel Carlson- Auburn

-Competition for Forbath.

....Hope you guys enjoyed the read!!! :smilevike:
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: PHP's "Run to the SB" Mock

Post by Thaumaturgist »

PHP,

I appreciate the work you put into it, and I look forward to this every year!

:appl:

I agree with pretty much all your decisions. I think QB will be the most tricky, especially since there will probably be a bidding war for Cousins. I agree that the Vikings will probably try to acquire some more draft picks, but I don't know for sure how they'll do it. Ricky is a wheeler dealer though, so you can almost be assured of some moving around.

Thanks again for all the work, I enjoyed it again!

:rock:
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Good post. You always seem put a lot of time and effort into it which Is appreciated. I didn't see anything about Tom Johnson. Do you think he'll be resigned or walk. If Price falls to the end of the first it would be a steal for the Vikings. I wonder if they'll try to go after a primarily nickel CB with Alexander's struggles. I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings go after Crowell if he isn't asking for too much. If we can get price and the DT out of Florida, that's an absolute success.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Thanks for sharing this!
Cousins is going to get lots of money throwed at him which complicates who will be our QB.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I like it, but I think one of the three starting quality QBs we had in '17 will be on the roster in '18. My sense is it is most likely Bradford.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cousins, Price and Bryan? Sign me up! That'd be a heck of an offseason. That's my first reaction to your latest mock.

I'll have to chew on the side dishes a bit first to give an informed opinion, but the main course went down real nice.

Thanks for putting this together--gives us something to discuss before FA starts :beerock:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:Good post. You always seem put a lot of time and effort into it which Is appreciated. I didn't see anything about Tom Johnson. Do you think he'll be resigned or walk. If Price falls to the end of the first it would be a steal for the Vikings. I wonder if they'll try to go after a primarily nickel CB with Alexander's struggles. I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings go after Crowell if he isn't asking for too much. If we can get price and the DT out of Florida, that's an absolute success.
Thanks guys!! This took me most of the week to do and research haha but I’m on February break so I’m off work all week.

As for Tom Johnson, it’s funny you say that because I had us resigning him then changed it last minute before I posted it and never put him under the “let walk” category. I’ll fix that now thanks for the heads up
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I read the Jets are thinking of giving essentially $60 mill guarantees to Cousins. If that happens he isn't coming here. I still would rather keep Keenum because he will be cheaper and would allow us to find more on the OL and DL.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's

PurpleMustReign wrote:I read the Jets are thinking of giving essentially $60 mill guarantees to Cousins. If that happens he isn't coming here. I still would rather keep Keenum because he will be cheaper and would allow us to find more on the OL and DL.

I heard that too but cousins also wants to win. And I read an article on him and how he’s saved an absurd amount of money over the years. He drives a mini van around. I truly don’t think it’s all about money for him. I’m more worried about Denver but they are hurting for cap space
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

My initial thought was Price won't be around but then I remembered how far the OT's fell last year. If that happens again, I can definitely see an interior guy being around at the end of the 1st. I still think we should make a run at Norwell/Pugh.

I know he was a bit of a bust in Indi but I would take a gamble on Moncrief if his pricetag is reasonable. Maybe one of the Jax receivers too (Robinson or Lee).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:My initial thought was Price won't be around but then I remembered how far the OT's fell last year. If that happens again, I can definitely see an interior guy being around at the end of the 1st. I still think we should make a run at Norwell/Pugh.

I know he was a bit of a bust in Indi but I would take a gamble on Moncrief if his pricetag is reasonable. Maybe one of the Jax receivers too (Robinson or Lee).
Price could definitely fall. I could see either him or Wynn from Georgia being there. I would take either but like price better just because I feel like him and Elflein would be great together.

If we sign Cousins, no way we can afford Norwell. Plus we already have two highly paid OL in Reiff and Remmers. We need to get younger there.

I’ve always liked Moncrief. I was considering him over Smith but didn’t wanna copy the guy that did a mock offseason in our offseason thread haha. Robinson’s price tag will be high so I’m not big on him. Lee could be reasonable but I dont see any reason to pay a WR decent money to come here. Diggs is in line for an extension, Thielen is under contract and Wright is getting paid decently. He got paid almost as much as Thielen did this year. We need a low risk high reward type player like Smith or Moncrief

I will say we got Thielen at the right time because after the year he had, his contract should’ve been bigger than it was
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: PHP's

Post by mansquatch »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:I read the Jets are thinking of giving essentially $60 mill guarantees to Cousins. If that happens he isn't coming here. I still would rather keep Keenum because he will be cheaper and would allow us to find more on the OL and DL.

I heard that too but cousins also wants to win. And I read an article on him and how he’s saved an absurd amount of money over the years. He drives a mini van around. I truly don’t think it’s all about money for him. I’m more worried about Denver but they are hurting for cap space

If it is just about money, then I agree, we won't get him if they offer that. However, I think we can offer a lot more than the Jets in terms of Cousin's ability to build an NFL legacy.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If Cousins is smart, he takes less and tells the FO to spend the savings on building a stout o-line. It baffles me that hardly anyone other than Brady has figured this out. I can understand wanting to get paid after your rookie contract but some of these guys just keep going back to the trough. Stafford is a perfect example, he already made $100M BEFORE he took his $50M pay day last year. It's like, hey dumb dumb maybe stop bleeding your team dry and you'll make it to the playoffs before you retire.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:If Cousins is smart, he takes less and tells the FO to spend the savings on building a stout o-line. It baffles me that hardly anyone other than Brady has figured this out. I can understand wanting to get paid after your rookie contract but some of these guys just keep going back to the trough. Stafford is a perfect example, he already made $100M BEFORE he took his $50M pay day last year. It's like, hey dumb dumb maybe stop bleeding your team dry and you'll make it to the playoffs before you retire.
Stafford is an idiot. He's not even that good, frankly.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Thank's for taking the time to put this together PHP! My draft crush would be Quenton Nelson,OG Notre Dame,I know we have no chance to get him unless we trade up, but watch his tape and you will see maybe the best O line prospect in years.