Biggest Need On The Team?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18471
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mondry wrote:I'm sort of surprised no one said CB. With Rhodes shutting down his guy more often than not, Waynes / Newman and who ever else have been roasted. It'd be much better for our D if we had a second guy who could make it a bit more difficult to get completions. We can stop the run, Rhodes can shut down their #1, but it doesn't really matter if their #2's and #3's are going off on us.

Pass rush of course would be nice, but again pass rush doesn't help much if they can just get rid of the ball quickly cause they don't fear the coverage over there.


As for the coaching, what we saw clearly wasn't good enough, can they improve and adapt? Zimmer's defense was too easily cracked in the playoffs, it shouldn't have taken a miracle to beat the saints and they shouldn't have been destroyed by the eagles. He deserves another year at least to show us if he can or not, let's not forget this team overachieved everyone's expectations with a backup QB but concerns are rising!
I stopped reading after you said Waynes has been roasted. He was a better CB than Rhodes by seasons end. In every aspect too
I agree. Waynes made plays, and Rhodes struggled with the obvious exception of the Philly game.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8435
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Cliff » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 am

Why nobody is mentioning CB - aside from the obvious we've already got a lot of recent high draft picks invested at the position and seem to have a lot of young talent;
2nd least passing yards per game
2nd least total passing yards
1st in Passing TDs allowed
3rd best in passer rating allowed
13th most INTs
I contend it's impossible to have those kinds of stats with a bad CB starting on either side.
0 x
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson/Mike Zimmer Led Defenses

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8371
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

CB would be nice for depth, Newmans snaps will be limited.

Biggest need is a good QB.
Followed by a good guard.
Followed by a good DT.
0 x

User avatar
Slick Rick
Transition Player
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Slick Rick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Agreed that CB is one of the least concerns. I'd say almost every other position is worthy of mention ahead of CB because we have so much depth at the position. Right now, we have Rhodes and Waynes projected as the two primaries and I think Mack Alexander is going to start getting more and more snaps now that Newman is getting older and maybe not quite as effective as he was just a couple of short years ago. I do think it'd be smart to take a look at some CBs since Newman is probably going to continue to regress, and that's if he isn't cut or doesn't retire, but I don't think it's worthy of a high draft pick necessarily unless there's someone who it'd be stupid to pass on.
0 x

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11582
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by jackal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm

OL depth
LB
DT

Since the current signings
0 x
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5375
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:15 pm

jackal wrote:OL depth
LB
DT

Since the current signings
Need more than OL depth. We need a starting guard. Or tackle if they move Remmers inside. Which I hope they dont. Draft Billy Price, make him our LG or RG with Easton on the other side and keep Remmers at tackle. I'm not a fan of him at guard
0 x
Image

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11367
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by S197 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Slick Rick wrote:Agreed that CB is one of the least concerns. I'd say almost every other position is worthy of mention ahead of CB because we have so much depth at the position. Right now, we have Rhodes and Waynes projected as the two primaries and I think Mack Alexander is going to start getting more and more snaps now that Newman is getting older and maybe not quite as effective as he was just a couple of short years ago. I do think it'd be smart to take a look at some CBs since Newman is probably going to continue to regress, and that's if he isn't cut or doesn't retire, but I don't think it's worthy of a high draft pick necessarily unless there's someone who it'd be stupid to pass on.
Horace Richardson is our dime corner right now. We have a zero depth. That could change but right now Newman and Sherels are free agents and we only have 4 corners under contract.
0 x

User avatar
IIsweet
Transition Player
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by IIsweet » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:14 pm

I am hoping to get CB Mike Hughes AND OG Billy Price with our first 2 picks.
If not Hughes, I would gladly add Josh Jackson.
Thus adding a starting nickel or outside CB and a starting interior OL. Great start if you ask me.
0 x

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by halfgiz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 am

We have lost a lot of experienced players this off season....right around 13 , QB's included.
Going to be tough to replace all that experience. I hope it doesn't hurt us.
Myself I'm worried about Price and his pec injury. We need some linemen to maybe step right in.
I don't really think that we could afford to just let him sit.

Another worry is using a # 1 for a CB because it usually takes Zimmer 3 years to get them up to speed.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5375
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:27 am

IIsweet wrote:I am hoping to get CB Mike Hughes AND OG Billy Price with our first 2 picks.
If not Hughes, I would gladly add Josh Jackson.
Thus adding a starting nickel or outside CB and a starting interior OL. Great start if you ask me.
I dont think we need an outside starter at CB. Maybe for the future? But I dont know about now. As for nickel, I would like to get some assurance but that job is Alexander's to lose IMO. He has had a similar career to Waynes up until this point. I see him making a huge jump this year
0 x
Image

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24541
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by dead_poet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
IIsweet wrote:I am hoping to get CB Mike Hughes AND OG Billy Price with our first 2 picks.
If not Hughes, I would gladly add Josh Jackson.
Thus adding a starting nickel or outside CB and a starting interior OL. Great start if you ask me.
I dont think we need an outside starter at CB. Maybe for the future? But I dont know about now. As for nickel, I would like to get some assurance but that job is Alexander's to lose IMO. He has had a similar career to Waynes up until this point. I see him making a huge jump this year
I really want to see Mac on the outside.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Vikefan60
Backup
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Vikefan60 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm

OL
WR
RB

Throw LB in there if we don't expect to extend both Barr and Kendricks.
0 x

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8371
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:35 am

OL-Price first if hes around. If not, the best G left.

NT-Even with Sheldon, we dont know how long he will be on the team.

CB-we need to keep that secondary good. We are a bit thin on CB's, I am hoping Mac turns out like Waynes has, but I am not counting on it.

Then I hope we go BPA. I would like another guy for the Oline, but only if BPA, same goes for a kicker and Safety. If we go early LB, we can guess the Barr will be a Cousins casualty for us and we wont resign him.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11367
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by S197 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Speaking of safeties, anyone notice there's still like 20 of them available in FA?
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by 808vikingsfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:35 am

Biggest need? Upgrading the OL. Not sure if it can be done by just adding a couple of rookies.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

Post Reply