Total Access - Film Breakdown of Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Total Access - Film Breakdown of Kirk Cousins

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Getting excited to see what Kirk can do with this team.

Total Access: Film Breakdown of Kirk Cousins

Burleson makes a great point at the end. Kirk has never been under this type of pressure before. Hopefully he handles it well.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Total Access - Film Breakdown of Kirk Cousins

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Another breakdown of Cousins.

QB profile: Kirk Cousins | PFF
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I know I am in the minority here, but I am really concerned with how Cousins will handle what I think is an average at best line. I cant believe that Rick didnt address this line more for the multi billion dollar man, but also didn't shore up good run blockers for Cook (who I still think is the best back in the NFL, far superior to the thug Mixon, that some here wanted us to get). Also, I dont think Cousins is anywhere near as elusive as Case was when under pressure. His release is better then Cases's, but i think hes going to freak out when he sees how bad the pass blocking will be. :govikes:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Last season the Redskins line was a total dumpster fire due to multiple injuries. Their horror show was quite similar to what we experienced in 2016. So similar if fact, they started a familiar face at tackle: TJ Clemmings. In addition they boasted the 5th worst rushing offense in the league, averaging a paltry 3.6 ypc.

Cousins handled it well enough. He managed to throw for 4,097 yards and 27 TDs. against 13 INT.

You might say this is your "worst case." If that is the worst case I think we'll be OK. We had a top 10 rushing attack last year and our defense is vastly superior to the Redskins. We also have a far superior stable of pass catchers.

What's not to like?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

All I keep hearing from the talking heads is how Cousins and the WR's need time to get on the "same" page. HELLO! Two years ago Teddy goes down in Training camp. In comes Sam Bradford. And the talking heads were concerned with how the WR's and Bradford would get on the "same" page. Last year, Bradford goes down, Keenum comes in. And once again they are talk about how they have to get on the "Same" page. Now, we have Cousins and once again they are talking about Cousins and the WR's being on the "same" page.

I wonder if the talking heads ever thought that by now maybe the WR's have it figured out?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

You are mostly right. But Thelein, Diggs, and Kyle are NOT your normal WR's. They are experienced vets now. I dont think its normal for Case to come in, and put the ball where, imo, the best receiving corps could catch it. There are maybe 5 teams I can think of that could make this happen. And Cousins, being the billion dollar man, had better do an even better job then a back up QB was last year. If not, it will be a longer 3 years then after the Walker deal was. Or God forbid, our Oline leaks, and knocks Cousins out for the year.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Hmm this is the second time now that I have tried to reply with a quote, by selecting the quotes in the upper right corner, and the quote didnt appear. I assume its something I did wrong.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

There is a reason I take a break from football after the Draft. This is the time of the year where the sports media feels an irrepressible need to justify it's existence and thus makes crap up so it can talk about football when there is barely anything football related going on. Unless a report comes out saying someone had a terrible injury or something, I'd ignore just about everything you read.

One thing to keep in mind from now until the first Regular Season game is the that every NFL Team, not just the Vikings, wants to keep as much of what is going on under wraps as possible. New plays, how they intend to use people, etc. is all pure speculation until we see it for real on a Sunday where it counts.

So sit back, mix up some beverages, and enjoy the 12 weeks of summer that MN so kindly blesses us with each year. :v):
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The Diggs thread and OL thread were getting off topic so I'll post my Kirk comments here.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pmAlso, let's remember that Kirk Cousins has just as much, if not more athleticism than Case Keenum. He's good on the move, and I guarantee you that John DeFilippo is going to use him outside the pocket, which will help neutralize any weaknesses in the O-line. Not much different than last year.
I wish I could be as confident as you are about Cousins. He has shown he makes poor decisions under pressure and also in the redzone. His 13 fumbles /13 INTs concern me as well. Also have to disagree about Keenum. He was a magician last year under pressure. 7INTs , only one fumble. And I don't think you can blame it on the Redskins OL. Even with 11 injuries, they still ranked better than the Vikings OL. Plus, Cousins has been poor in the redzone not just in 2017, but for the past 3 years. My fear is the Vikings are going to have to live with good Cousins as well as bad Cousins.

twitter page with vid clip:
Kirk Cousins led the league in interceptions under pressure in 2017. Some of these decisions/throws are mind-boggling:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:40 am The Diggs thread and OL thread were getting off topic so I'll post my Kirk comments here.

I wish I could be as confident as you are about Cousins. He has shown he makes poor decisions under pressure and also in the redzone. His 13 fumbles /13 INTs concern me as well. Also have to disagree about Keenum. He was a magician last year under pressure. 7INTs , only one fumble. And I don't think you can blame it on the Redskins OL. Even with 11 injuries, they still ranked better than the Vikings OL. Plus, Cousins has been poor in the redzone not just in 2017, but for the past 3 years. My fear is the Vikings are going to have to live with good Cousins as well as bad Cousins.

twitter page with vid clip:
Kirk Cousins led the league in interceptions under pressure in 2017. Some of these decisions/throws are mind-boggling:
Good idea moving the conversation about Cousins here.

For clarification, I didn't say he was as good under pressure. I said he's just as athletic as Keenum, maybe more. John DeFilippo has talked about this. When a QB just takes 5 steps and sets up in the same place every time, it makes things a lot easier for the D-line, especially the defensive ends. They only have one job in that case -- get to that spot. Case was definitely great under pressure, and Cousins' stats have been underwhelming there. But Cousins has the athleticism to work well outside the pocket.

My belief is more in John DeFilippo, and what he can do with Cousins. I believe we'll see that Flip is truly a great offensive football mind, the next big thing offensively along with guys like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. I do not put Jay Gruden in that category, and the Redskins (and especially Cousins) took a big step backwards when McVay left for the Rams. In fact, McVay was one of Cousins' most ardent supporters, even when Washington benched Cousins in 2014. Bill Walsh has written that the most important thing you can say to a player is, "I believe in you." McVay did that. Gruden did not. Management in Washington did not. The Vikings do. That's the source of my belief.

Anybody can cherry-pick a player's worst moments. There are far more good ones with Cousins, which we know or he wouldn't have the numbers he has, or even a job in this league. A good coach hangs his hat on those good plays and works with the QB to correct the bad ones. I believe you'll see that with Coach Flip.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.