Time to move on from Waynes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Time to move on from Waynes

Post by Laserman »

Way way better pass rush is what this defense needs most. Look at the games we lost and see, the pass rush was barely there
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Agreed, definitely pass rush. We need an aggressive John Randle type player next to Linval Joseph.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Did you mean Alexander? Because I'd say is the most improved player on the team. He has been good against the run since he started playing, and now he is good in coverage. We may have to move on from Newman and thats going to suck.
:shock: :shock: PK finally likes Trae Waynes?!! This is a true Minneapolis miracle! :lol: Just messing man.

I’m telling you it takes times for DBs to adapt to this defense. Look at what Waynes and Sendejo did after they had some time in this defense. That’s why I’m not worried about Alexander. Alexander had a very similar 2nd year that Waynes did. Made some flashy plays but had some bad ones. I think it’s time for Newman to go anyways. He truly lost a step this year. Sure the depth and leadership hurts but he didn’t look too hot this year. We definitely need some CB depth this offseason. I looked and I don’t see any players in FA that played for Zim in the past so that sucks.

But I think Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander as a top 3 will be as good as it gets across the nfl next year
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Seems like all of the other responses to the OP have covered everything I wanted to say, so I'll just pile on with a WTF!?!! Waynes is literally one of the best open field tacklers in football and his coverage this season was VASTLY improved. He RARELY got beat, and probably half of the catches he gave up were well-defended, but the receiver made remarkable plays. He's one of the best in football. Wayne seems to be a very strange target of a suggestion that we need to move on.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

He's only 25 years old and he's actually improved over the years from being an absolute liability in coverage to being pretty solid this year. He hasn't been great and he has been beaten his fair share of times, he's not as good as Rhodes, but Rhodes wasn't as good as he is today for quite some time and he really didn't become the force that it he now until last year when he was 26. I think we have to give him at least another year because of how high his ceiling is and make a decision then. CB is a tough position to play, and probably explains why the Vikings have for the longest time until the Zimmer era struggled with having good CBs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Wow I take that back Newman just came out and said he DOES plan on coming back for his 16th season. Just crazy that a guy can still play CB somewhat effectively at age 40
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Wow I take that back Newman just came out and said he DOES plan on coming back for his 16th season. Just crazy that a guy can still play CB somewhat effectively at age 40
I love Terence Newman. But there were times this year that he looked his age. I hope he can still be effective. Mack Alexander needs to take the next step in his development, much like Waynes did this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Wow I take that back Newman just came out and said he DOES plan on coming back for his 16th season. Just crazy that a guy can still play CB somewhat effectively at age 40
I love Terence Newman. But there were times this year that he looked his age. I hope he can still be effective. Mack Alexander needs to take the next step in his development, much like Waynes did this year.
I agree. Hopefully Newman and Mack can split the snaps. Newman wants a ring, and would probably play better then last year. And every sign points to Mack getting better. We still are going to have to draft a fairly decent CB though this year. We need that and a NT in this coming draft.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

I think Waynes had a solid year--it can't be easy playing opposite of Xavier, and he held his own. Mac is the one that needs to improve next season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I agree. Hopefully Newman and Mack can split the snaps. Newman wants a ring, and would probably play better then last year. And every sign points to Mack getting better. We still are going to have to draft a fairly decent CB though this year. We need that and a NT in this coming draft.
Linval is a NT. We need a 3 tech DT. This draft has 3 very good ones too
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

If we could somehow get another lock down corner across from Rhodes that would be amazing. Not sure I believe in Trae Waynes as long-term starter, but there is zero reason to move on from him at this point in time.

I don't buy PFF's rating on Mackensie Alexander's coverage this season. He didn't sure look like the number two corner covering the slot. He needs to improve. Newman is losing steps, I'd love him back but he shouldn't be playing more than 30% of the snaps at this point in his career.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:If we could somehow get another lock down corner across from Rhodes that would be amazing. Not sure I believe in Trae Waynes as long-term starter, but there is zero reason to move on from him at this point in time.

I don't buy PFF's rating on Mackensie Alexander's coverage this season. He didn't sure look like the number two corner covering the slot. He needs to improve. Newman is losing steps, I'd love him back but he shouldn't be playing more than 30% of the snaps at this point in his career.
Towards the end of the year, Waynes was a lock down. More of a lock down than Rhodes was
-Chazz Palminteri
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

The fact that he improved and played great all season is meaningless to you?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Sorry to break up the circle jerk but I forgot to respond to this post after I posted it.
As he stands he is not a very good corner regardless of what PPF says. Sometimes PPF's stats seem to be dead on and other times you have to wonder if they are scoring soccer and not football. PPF isn't the bible. Is Waynes a good open field tackler? Does he attack the run and remind many of the good old Winfield days? Yup. However, he is a liability in coverage. He will continue to be one unless he makes a drastic improvement. He improved greatly this season but that's not saying much. Unless he makes a tremendous change in technique, he will continue to get beat at a rate that outpaces other starting corners. We can continue to wear the purple specs and find stats that proves that he's good just like we did for Ponder, Jackson, and Jared at the end of his time here but the truth is the truth. He is a young man that is timid in his play and does not play with confidence. He is always a step behind on slants and was blessed this season with several overthrows and late lucky breakups that made him look a lot better than he truly is. He with Rhodes is good enough to beat a lot of teams but when we start facing teams that have no problem attacking downfield, he will be exposed. Worst still, he clearly plays worse when beaten and takes a long time to get out of his head.

I could go on a rant and ask about the last time you saw him play the ball but I won't. I know that too often hes seen chasing down a WR, luckily has had the ball underthrown and lucks into a pass breakup where he comes up with his celebration :D :D :D

Continue praising how great Trae Waynes is because he improved this season. He is still not CB that I would want starting for my team. Drafting someone to replace him should be a priority.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:If we could somehow get another lock down corner across from Rhodes that would be amazing. Not sure I believe in Trae Waynes as long-term starter, but there is zero reason to move on from him at this point in time.

Towards the end of the year, Waynes was a lock down. More of a lock down than Rhodes was
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Towards the end of the year we played Rogerless GB and A bears team with 3 wrs. Lets not forget the Bengals who reportedly had their coach quit on them. I would hope so.