A Philadelphian Apology

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

A Philadelphian Apology

Post by PineBarrenDave »

I am here to add my perspective as somebody who was born and raised in South Jersey, lived in Philly for a few years, and then back to South Jersey. I am a diehard Eagles, 76ers, Phillies, and Flyers fan.

And what Minnesota Vikings fans experienced last Sunday is exactly what real conscious, self-aware, and respectful Philadelphia sports' fans have grown to avoid for quite sometime.

You experienced the toxicity of the "Us vs. Everyone" Philadelphian tailgate. If I could have personally warned you I would have.

Philadelphia is the only sports' city that has all four team's stadiums right next to each other. What this creates is a GIGANTIC party around every single game because there is so much square footage of parking lot. This party has evolved over the years and it is something that most Eagles' fans avoid. It's a frat-esque party that starts early in the AM.

Most fans avoid even going to games because it has evolved into an alcohol-based event with, generally, worse seats to the game than you'd get in front of a TV.

I'd go to the city for a parade IF we won, but that's about it. For the 18 games we've had this year-- I avoid the circus. But for outsiders (you Vikings fans) looking to come to Philadelphia to experience your team in a championship game.... you can't avoid the circus. Because the stadium and the parking lots is the circus.

And we as Philadelphia sport's fans are judged and perceived by this circus; a circus most Philadelphia sport's fans want no part of. And I highly doubt any, and I mean ANY, of the Minnesota fans that came here were ever further than a mile from Broad Street.

So when I see Minnesota fans say something like "It wasn't a few bad apples... it was 50/50 if I'm being generous"...

I honestly shake my head.

I shake my head at the classless #### you had to experience.

And I shake my head at the simple fact that people continue to base our fan base on what they experience at the circus.

I do not disagree that if any fan base had to have a horrible reputation.... why not it be us. It should be us.

But always remember when it comes to the media... One horrible fan base is a good narrative. Multiple bad fan bases is bad for the league.

PS

I would not be writing this if you guys were say the Lions, Chargers, or some random team. But what I've noticed is a lot of Vikings fans are North Dakota/Carson Wentz fans. And when I see a NDSU jersey... I buy him/her a drink 10/10 times. It was a relationship I think all Eagles' fans grew to really enjoy.

We are like an ugly nerdy kid at middle school that nobody likes and the North Dakota folks were like a pretty girl that actually liked us and it was heartwarming.

Long story short: yall are good people and didn't deserve the treatment down at the stadium. And I don't think any Eagles' fan really cares that the entire country outside of maybe the AFC East fans seem to be rooting for the cheaters, we'd actually probably prefer it that way....

But just know, Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley are definitely not Minnesota Nice, that's a nickname you earned. But we are nowhere close to the classless monsters we are collectively painted as.

With love,

enjoy your weekend.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: A Philadelphian Apology

Post by Texas Vike »

PineBarrenDave wrote:I am here to add my perspective as somebody who was born and raised in South Jersey, lived in Philly for a few years, and then back to South Jersey. I am a diehard Eagles, 76ers, Phillies, and Flyers fan.

And what Minnesota Vikings fans experienced last Sunday is exactly what real conscious, self-aware, and respectful Philadelphia sports' fans have grown to avoid for quite sometime.

You experienced the toxicity of the "Us vs. Everyone" Philadelphian tailgate. If I could have personally warned you I would have.

Philadelphia is the only sports' city that has all four team's stadiums right next to each other. What this creates is a GIGANTIC party around every single game because there is so much square footage of parking lot. This party has evolved over the years and it is something that most Eagles' fans avoid. It's a frat-esque party that starts early in the AM.

Most fans avoid even going to games because it has evolved into an alcohol-based event with, generally, worse seats to the game than you'd get in front of a TV.

I'd go to the city for a parade IF we won, but that's about it. For the 18 games we've had this year-- I avoid the circus. But for outsiders (you Vikings fans) looking to come to Philadelphia to experience your team in a championship game.... you can't avoid the circus. Because the stadium and the parking lots is the circus.

And we as Philadelphia sport's fans are judged and perceived by this circus; a circus most Philadelphia sport's fans want no part of. And I highly doubt any, and I mean ANY, of the Minnesota fans that came here were ever further than a mile from Broad Street.

So when I see Minnesota fans say something like "It wasn't a few bad apples... it was 50/50 if I'm being generous"...

I honestly shake my head.

I shake my head at the classless #### you had to experience.

And I shake my head at the simple fact that people continue to base our fan base on what they experience at the circus.

I do not disagree that if any fan base had to have a horrible reputation.... why not it be us. It should be us.

But always remember when it comes to the media... One horrible fan base is a good narrative. Multiple bad fan bases is bad for the league.

PS

I would not be writing this if you guys were say the Lions, Chargers, or some random team. But what I've noticed is a lot of Vikings fans are North Dakota/Carson Wentz fans. And when I see a NDSU jersey... I buy him/her a drink 10/10 times. It was a relationship I think all Eagles' fans grew to really enjoy.

We are like an ugly nerdy kid at middle school that nobody likes and the North Dakota folks were like a pretty girl that actually liked us and it was heartwarming.

Long story short: yall are good people and didn't deserve the treatment down at the stadium. And I don't think any Eagles' fan really cares that the entire country outside of maybe the AFC East fans seem to be rooting for the cheaters, we'd actually probably prefer it that way....

But just know, Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley are definitely not Minnesota Nice, that's a nickname you earned. But we are nowhere close to the classless monsters we are collectively painted as.

With love,

enjoy your weekend.
Couple of thoughts: NoDak is practically a county of MN. Lots of folks from even further west (Montana) look east to the TC because it is the last cultural / commercial center for miles. The Twin Cities' impact goes far to the west. So Wentz is one of ours; that's how I see it, anyways (I'm biased, as I went to college on the MN - NoDak border).

Also: I think plenty of Minnesotans would be well disposed to Philly and its blue-collar roots. MN, especially the Iron Range, but also certain sectors of the metro area, is similarly blue collar and salt of the earth types. What's very foreign and incomprehensible to Minnesotans is the aggressive quality of Eagles fans and the disrespect for fans of an opposing team.

I appreciate your post.
PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

Post by PineBarrenDave »

Couple of thoughts: NoDak is practically a county of MN. Lots of folks from even further west (Montana) look east to the TC because it is the last cultural / commercial center for miles. The Twin Cities' impact goes far to the west. So Wentz is one of ours; that's how I see it, anyways (I'm biased, as I went to college on the MN - NoDak border).

Also: I think plenty of Minnesotans would be well disposed to Philly and its blue-collar roots. MN, especially the Iron Range, but also certain sectors of the metro area, is similarly blue collar and salt of the earth types. What's very foreign and incomprehensible to Minnesotans is the aggressive quality of Eagles fans and the disrespect for fans of an opposing team.

I appreciate your post.
The Delaware Valley is a collection of overcrowded counties with Philadelphia as the centerpoint. There's almost twice as many people living in Philadelphia than there is in the entire state of North Dakota.

I'd imagine most of the towns in North Dakota have that "small town" feel where practically everyone knows each other. This is just not the case around here. It's really just a bunch of strangers crammed together that really have nothing to do with each other and not much in common. Yes there are some definite outliers but generally speaking-- our sports' teams are one of the things that we all have in common around here.

It seems to be really the only thing that most people around here have in common.

So we rally around something like the Eagles in the Superbowl, sometimes in extraordinarily rude fashion.

And I could be wrong because I am far from an expert on the Minnesota area but I do think the blue collar roots are similar, but the major difference would be something like responding to a ten year old kid that gets pushed to the ground and gets bloody knees.

I feel like "Are you okay? Let me help!" would be the Minnesotan way to react to it.

"You're fine, get the hell up!" would be the Philadelphian way.

I appreciate your reply.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PineBarrenDave wrote:I feel like "Are you okay? Let me help!" would be the Minnesotan way to react to it.

"You're fine, get the hell up!" would be the Philadelphian way.
It seems like the "are you okay?" way is the decent human way and the "you're fine, get the hell up!" is the #### way. Maybe I'm just too soft on ten year olds lmao
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Can we just ban all these eagles fans? Tired of this "its not everyone" nonsense. Really am. Just enjoy your loss this weekend and go away. Nobody here cares how apologetic you are, its not going to magically change the douchebaggery that happened, or will happen again. Fans from 31 other teams and visitors to yoir crap city have been saying how awful it is for decades. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Just stop
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Id rather have jordy back than look at all these derelics posting about how great their fanbase is
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote:Id rather have jordy back than look at all these derelics posting about how great their fanbase is
For real.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Boon wrote:Id rather have jordy back than look at all these derelics posting about how great their fanbase is
For real.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I miss Jordy. Kinda liked that guy. Didn’t always agree with him, but I appreciated his perspective.
PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

Post by PineBarrenDave »

Boon wrote:Can we just ban all these eagles fans? Tired of this "its not everyone" nonsense. Really am. Just enjoy your loss this weekend and go away. Nobody here cares how apologetic you are, its not going to magically change the douchebaggery that happened, or will happen again. Fans from 31 other teams and visitors to yoir crap city have been saying how awful it is for decades. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Just stop
"Nonsense"?

Lmao.... yeah you're right its everyone. We're all garbage humans.

And trust me I knew it was gonna be a tough task.. attempting to alter the mindset of a [for example] Minnesota fan who now believes they are morally superior to millions of people in our area. It' a dummy mission.

But it just makes me respect the Vikings fans more who have the ability to use reason and perspective. I have been pleasantly surprised to know there are a lot of you.

Cheers to that.

And then there's people like you who are incapable of thinking when dealing with large quantities. You just sum things up to their simplest form.

And that's okay... in life I always root for the underdog.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

PineBarrenDave wrote:
Boon wrote:Can we just ban all these eagles fans? Tired of this "its not everyone" nonsense. Really am. Just enjoy your loss this weekend and go away. Nobody here cares how apologetic you are, its not going to magically change the douchebaggery that happened, or will happen again. Fans from 31 other teams and visitors to yoir crap city have been saying how awful it is for decades. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. Just stop
"Nonsense"?

Lmao.... yeah you're right its everyone. We're all garbage humans.

And trust me I knew it was gonna be a tough task.. attempting to alter the mindset of a [for example] Minnesota fan who now believes they are morally superior to millions of people in our area. It' a dummy mission.

But it just makes me respect the Vikings fans more who have the ability to use reason and perspective. I have been pleasantly surprised to know there are a lot of you.

Cheers to that.

And then there's people like you who are incapable of thinking when dealing with large quantities. You just sum things up to their simplest form.

And that's okay... in life I always root for the underdog.

All i read was blah blah blah blah blah.

Go

Away

Nobody

Cares
PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

Post by PineBarrenDave »

All i read was blah blah blah blah blah.
Well yeah once I wrote my fifth word I knew this was gonna be an uphill battle for you.

And before we part ways I do want to commend you because you do an outstanding job of representing the whiney can't-take-a-loss crybaby section of the Vkings fan base.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

The whole problem with these apologies is with one simple question: "What is the 'majority' going to do to curb the violence and egregious behaviour of the 'minority'?"

And that answer is more than likely going to be nothing. Your team is not going to implement rules or regulations to cut off the head of the snake, and the more it grows, the worse the Philadelphian reputation becomes. The city of Philadelphia needs to do something to tell sports fans they are no longer tolerating this kind of behavior. The first step is for the "majority" of good fans, as you'd call them, to show that they too, won't tolerate this ####.
PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

Post by PineBarrenDave »

Rhodes Closed wrote:The whole problem with these apologies is with one simple question: "What is the 'majority' going to do to curb the violence and egregious behaviour of the 'minority'?"

And that answer is more than likely going to be nothing. Your team is not going to implement rules or regulations to cut off the head of the snake, and the more it grows, the worse the Philadelphian reputation becomes. The city of Philadelphia needs to do something to tell sports fans they are no longer tolerating this kind of behavior. The first step is for the "majority" of good fans, as you'd call them, to show that they too, won't tolerate this ####.
Holy smug quotations.
SkolVikings69
Practice Squad

Post by SkolVikings69 »

Rhodes Closed wrote:The whole problem with these apologies is with one simple question: "What is the 'majority' going to do to curb the violence and egregious behaviour of the 'minority'?"

That’s it in a nutshell. At best this stuff is tolerated by the majority. At worst it’s endorsed.
PineBarrenDave
Practice Squad

Post by PineBarrenDave »

SkolVikings69 wrote:

That’s it in a nutshell. At best this stuff is tolerated by the majority. At worst it’s endorsed.
That simple eh?