2017 Vikings Exceeded Expectations

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Exceeded Expectations

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think this season expected everyone's expectations, even the homers who think we will win at least 12 games no matter what, every single year. The D was better then a lot though it would be, even though they utterly failed us in the last 6 Quarters this season. The bend but dont break D finally broke. And I hope Zimmer knows how to fix it or in a few years we will be looking for a new GM, and new HC, etc. etc. It always happens to us. This year we thought we had it right, but they choked when it mattered most. One of the biggest chokes ive ever witnessed. The Eagles were even underdogs, at home. And to say we got out couched in every facet of the game would be an understatement.

The offense was the biggest surprise. The Sam Bradford trade showed how effing bad it was with Sam once again leting his team down getting injured. But then we met Case, one of the best, if not the best, backup QBs the Vikings ever had. He was literally better then a lot of starting QBs we have had. Rick finally spent some time and money on the Oline and it paid off. And thats when the vikings stopped exceeding expectation, and did what they always do, and thats fail when we needed them the most. This was the best team in decades (better then the 09 team, and I think next year will be better then 2010) but it wasnt enough to get to the SB. There were a lot of people saw SB, we should have know better. We should have known better, no one was really talking about us, except fellow Viking fans, and I guess they were right. We didnt belong anywhere near the SB with the crash we had. Our luck all ran out.

I enjoyed the season but ultimately the feeling I have now is the same feeling I have every single time I think the Vikings are something special, other then for sentimental reasons.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Just read the preseason game threads. Absolutely exceeded most expectations.

This season will be a very memorable one for me. In fact, I think it will be my most favorite season of all. I was young when the Vikings went to the superbowl in 76 so I don't remember much. For me, this beats 98 and 09. I enjoyed the underdog role. I enjoyed how the Rams, Eagles, and Saints battled till the end. This Vikings squad was truly a team this year. The way they carried themselves throughout the season, it really makes me proud to be a Vikings fan.

I always say it's the journey that matters. 2017 was an incredible journey.

I love what Zimmer built this year. I love what he brings to this organization and where he's taking this team. IMO, it's just a matter of time before the Vikings win with Zimmer.

Can't wait for the draft.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

And some people think neither Case nor Shurmer had anything to do with that. A backup QB coming off the bench and helping the team to a 13-3 season. And an OC that that he would be calling plays for Sam Bradford ended up calling them for an entirely different QB, and did a wonderful job. But ofc he wasnt always calling what some people thought were the best calls to be made. So like hate him and talk about what a turn he was here. I just cant stand the way some people act on this board. While they are a Viking, they can do no wrong, and you had better not say they aernt doing their job. But once they are gone all that goes out the window and a 13-3 season means nothing. It was all Zimmer I guess, who probably has as little to do with the offensive side of the ball as anyone. And before people tell me if im not happy with my team and should find another, stfu already. Some people can find fault with some of the personal on the team and still be as good of a fan as the homer.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

They really did exceed expectations, although mine were pretty high, I thought they'd go 11-5. I also thought they'd go 11-5 last year, but we all know how that went despite the promising start. While I think that the Vikings can maintain their status as one of the NFL's elite teams, I do think we need a lot of help offensively (offensive line, I'm looking at you) and for the first time in a few years I feel like the front end of our defense needs some work. Tom Johnson is a really good defensive lineman, but he's not getting any younger and we've been using him more and more since we don't have Sharrif Floyd. It'd be interesting to see what options will be available in free agency, but those are the two places where I think we are vulnerable, and the game against Philly should have highlighted that. :lol:

Another thing to remember is that we did this without our stud rookie RB, Dalvin Cook was lighting it up until he got hurt. Even though I don't think he would have helped us against Philly, he will be back next year and if we can improve the offensive line again and tweak the defense to make it just a little bit better then I think we'll be in a good position to repeat our success. We might not win more games, but we might be better overall.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Slick Rick wrote:They really did exceed expectations, although mine were pretty high, I thought they'd go 11-5. I also thought they'd go 11-5 last year, but we all know how that went despite the promising start. While I think that the Vikings can maintain their status as one of the NFL's elite teams, I do think we need a lot of help offensively (offensive line, I'm looking at you) and for the first time in a few years I feel like the front end of our defense needs some work. Tom Johnson is a really good defensive lineman, but he's not getting any younger and we've been using him more and more since we don't have Sharrif Floyd. It'd be interesting to see what options will be available in free agency, but those are the two places where I think we are vulnerable, and the game against Philly should have highlighted that. :lol:

Another thing to remember is that we did this without our stud rookie RB, Dalvin Cook was lighting it up until he got hurt. Even though I don't think he would have helped us against Philly, he will be back next year and if we can improve the offensive line again and tweak the defense to make it just a little bit better then I think we'll be in a good position to repeat our success. We might not win more games, but we might be better overall.
Where Cook might have helped is in our ability to gain home-field advantage. I realize we only lost one regular-season game after he went down, but that one loss cost us home field. If the Philly game had been in our stadium, things may have played out differently. Sure, if we'd have played like hot garbage the way we did in Philly, we'd have lost at home. I just don't think we would play that way at USB. Purely speculative.

I sure look forward to Cook's return, and I pray he can stay healthy. If he can, he could become one of the really great, versatile backs in the league.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And some people think neither Case nor Shurmer had anything to do with that. A backup QB coming off the bench and helping the team to a 13-3 season. And an OC that that he would be calling plays for Sam Bradford ended up calling them for an entirely different QB, and did a wonderful job. But ofc he wasnt always calling what some people thought were the best calls to be made. So like hate him and talk about what a turn he was here. I just cant stand the way some people act on this board. While they are a Viking, they can do no wrong, and you had better not say they aernt doing their job. But once they are gone all that goes out the window and a 13-3 season means nothing. It was all Zimmer I guess, who probably has as little to do with the offensive side of the ball as anyone. And before people tell me if im not happy with my team and should find another, stfu already. Some people can find fault with some of the personal on the team and still be as good of a fan as the homer.
And who are these people? Because all I saw in this giant paragraph, was you putting words in people’s mouths. Literally not one single person thinks Shurmur or Case had nothing to do with our 13-3 record. Nor is anyone saying Zimmer shouldn’t be criticized. I specifically called Zimmer out for a few things he did in that game. However I still believe in Mike Zimmer.

As for you telling fans to “stfu”, I would say that’s a little unnecessary. Finding fault with someone is one thing but complaining and repeating yourself every time is different
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Where Cook might have helped is in our ability to gain home-field advantage. I realize we only lost one regular-season game after he went down, but that one loss cost us home field. If the Philly game had been in our stadium, things may have played out differently. Sure, if we'd have played like hot garbage the way we did in Philly, we'd have lost at home. I just don't think we would play that way at USB. Purely speculative.

I sure look forward to Cook's return, and I pray he can stay healthy. If he can, he could become one of the really great, versatile backs in the league.
Totally agree. For the Vikings to get to the SB, they need to secure home field. 0-12 for dome teams in the championship game is not a fluke stat.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Slick Rick wrote:They really did exceed expectations, although mine were pretty high, I thought they'd go 11-5. I also thought they'd go 11-5 last year, but we all know how that went despite the promising start. While I think that the Vikings can maintain their status as one of the NFL's elite teams, I do think we need a lot of help offensively (offensive line, I'm looking at you) and for the first time in a few years I feel like the front end of our defense needs some work. Tom Johnson is a really good defensive lineman, but he's not getting any younger and we've been using him more and more since we don't have Sharrif Floyd. It'd be interesting to see what options will be available in free agency, but those are the two places where I think we are vulnerable, and the game against Philly should have highlighted that. :lol:

Where Cook might have helped is in our ability to gain home-field advantage. I realize we only lost one regular-season game after he went down, but that one loss cost us home field. If the Philly game had been in our stadium, things may have played out differently. Sure, if we'd have played like hot garbage the way we did in Philly, we'd have lost at home. I just don't think we would play that way at USB. Purely speculative.

I agree about seeing Cook come back, really want to see what he can do for a full season, and hopefully behind an upgraded line. I could have seen us snagging home field if we'd had Cook too, I think he could've given our offense just the boost it needed to go over the top and even challenge the Eagles. With that said, the Eagles were also missing one of their top young stars in Wentz - they were winning their games by I think 12 or 13 points per game until he went down, which was easily the best in the NFL. Usually teams that have that good of a combination of offense and defense end up in the SB, although we certainly would have had a better chance in our own stadium, I'll give you that.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Definitely exceeded what I was expecting...We played like a team this year on both sides of the ball. And I felt we haven't seen that in a while.
I'm a little disappointed we saved our worst game of the year, for the last game.
Hopefully next year we can build and learn from this season.