2018 Offseason Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Post by mansquatch »

Belicik isn't as draft savvy as the popular conception makes him out to be. One of the downsides of constantly being a top 2 team in the AFC is you are constantly a bottom 4 draft pick. The strength of the Patriots has been coaching unknown, low draft equity guys up and getting them to perform at a competitive level, especially on defense. The real beauty of that organization has been the speed with which they have been able to get guys up to that competitive level every year.

I know the Draft is a big deal to everyone, but think about the above for a moment. The Patriots almost never have a top 1st round pick, at least not in the Brady/Belicik era. That is going on 16 years. Yet they are constantly the elite team in the entire playoff picture. Now, I know some of that is having Brady. I get it. But other teams have great QBs and they are no where near as consistent. (Saints and Packers come to mind) There is only one team that has done it that long. IMO, there is a lesson to be learned here. It isn't just about drafting this guy or signing that other big name free agent guy. It is getting the most out of them and getting it as soon as possible.

This is why I think the new OC is such a big deal. Shurmer was able to get a lot out Keenum, Diggs, and Thielen, two of whom were undrafted! Is a new guy going to have the same talent in getting the most out of what he has to work with or is only going ot be successful if he has big shiny toys?

FWIW, I think Zimmer has something to do with the success of low draft equity guys and deserves credit for it. Look at how much Sandejo has improved. Likewise, look at how our 3T DE has managed to stay decent despite the Floyd knee issue. (This position needs more juice, but it isn't a weakness.) Another example is Hunter. Late round guy they have turned into a solid player.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

halfgiz wrote:Edit: Dont we now owe Philly a 3rd pick? Or was that void since Sam was injured?
There does not appear to be an injury guarantee.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2661 ... d-reaction
The Eagles confirmed the news and officially announced the team netted a 2017 first-round pick and 2018 fourth-round pick in exchange for Bradford. Adam Schefter of ESPN reported the 2018 pick would become a third-round selection if the Vikings reach the NFC Championship Game. He added that if the team wins the Super Bowl, it becomes a second-round pick.
So the Vikings reach the NFC Championship game without Bradford at QB and now they owe the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bradford. :hitfan:
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

720pete wrote:So the Vikings reach the NFC Championship game without Bradford at QB and now they owe the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bradford. :hitfan:
I thought that was if we were to reach the NFC Champ game last year. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple Domination wrote:
720pete wrote:So the Vikings reach the NFC Championship game without Bradford at QB and now they owe the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bradford. :hitfan:
I thought that was if we were to reach the NFC Champ game last year. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
That's what I thought too, but how lame that the fame was in Philly.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

720pete wrote:
halfgiz wrote:Edit: Dont we now owe Philly a 3rd pick? Or was that void since Sam was injured?
There does not appear to be an injury guarantee.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2661 ... d-reaction
The Eagles confirmed the news and officially announced the team netted a 2017 first-round pick and 2018 fourth-round pick in exchange for Bradford. Adam Schefter of ESPN reported the 2018 pick would become a third-round selection if the Vikings reach the NFC Championship Game. He added that if the team wins the Super Bowl, it becomes a second-round pick.
So the Vikings reach the NFC Championship game without Bradford at QB and now they owe the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bradford. :hitfan:
Omg. And the Eagles keep winning.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote:
S197 wrote:This may change as my head isn't right but this is my thinking right now:

- Get Drew Brees. Offer him $30 million, tell him he can chose his OC, whatever it takes.
- Grab a QB in the 1st round (not Rosen or Sam Darnold). Josh Allen maybe. Someone who can take a year or two to learn under Brees. Sloter as your 3rd.
- 2nd and 3rd round grab a G and TE, depending on how the board shakes out. Backfill with other lineman later in the draft or FA
- Resign Jet
- FA/Draft to address other needs (nickel CB, WR, DT, K, DE)
- Extend Diggs and Kendricks. Hunter is a cap casualty but will still be here for one more year. Barr dependent upon 2018 performance.
Signing Brees reminds me of getting Favre at this point. You're going all-in on a guy and hoping he doesn't fall off a cliff in terms of performance. Favre gave the Vikes one good year. How many more does Brees have in the tank?

Not sure on getting a QB high in the draft. I could see them take one in the 4th-5th, but where they will be choosing in the first 3 rounds I don't see a guy who is likely to be worth it, especially given some of the other needs on the team.

QB is a tough spot for this team. If Bradford's knees check out I'd bring him back on a reasonable deal. I'd let Bridgewater go and see if Keenum is interested in taking backup money. If not, go to the well in FA to get another vet option as a backup and keep bringing Sloter along.
Oh it's definitely an all-in Favre type of move. I think Brees easily has a year or two left. As I mentioned in the Miracle thread, this team's window of opportunity is closing fast and I'm ready to push the chips in. Drafting a QB means you're not totally screwed when Brees is done like we were with Favre.

We're going to have to make some tough decisions after next season with some real key free agents. We have enough pieces in place that an elite QB can take it over the top. Turn up the boost, flood the engine with nitrous, and win the god damn race for once. I don't care if the engine blows up at the top end anymore, just cross the damn finish line first for once!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

One guy I would love to land is Billy Price C/OG from Ohio St. He's a stud lineman that has versatility (which we will lose when Berger retires). Plus Elflein has played with him. So I feel like that would be a great C/OG combo.

Also, some names to watch for 3 tech DTs:

-Da'Ron Payne from Bama. Kid has freakish athleticism and quickness.
-Taven Bryan from Florida. He's actually drawn comparisons to JJ Watt in terms of when he's on, he can literally dominate a game
-Maurice Hurst from Michigan. He's undersized but has a get off like Everson Griffen. He was in the backfield non-stop for Michigan disrupting plays
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote: Oh it's definitely an all-in Favre type of move. I think Brees easily has a year or two left. As I mentioned in the Miracle thread, this team's window of opportunity is closing fast and I'm ready to push the chips in. Drafting a QB means you're not totally screwed when Brees is done like we were with Favre.

We're going to have to make some tough decisions after next season with some real key free agents. We have enough pieces in place that an elite QB can take it over the top. Turn up the boost, flood the engine with nitrous, and win the god damn race for once. I don't care if the engine blows up at the top end anymore, just cross the damn finish line first for once!
I agree. The window is obviously open. The Defense probably has 1-3 more years of dominance left. They've singed just about everyone so the CAP casualty pain probably won't start to really sting until year 2 or year 3. Plus we've got dynamic offensive weapons and an OL that looks to be on the upswing... just need a guy to make it all go.

On a positive note, because of all of the above things, this team should be one of the most desirable landing spots for veterans with 1-3 seasons left in the tank looking for that one last shot at the ring.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
S197 wrote: Oh it's definitely an all-in Favre type of move. I think Brees easily has a year or two left. As I mentioned in the Miracle thread, this team's window of opportunity is closing fast and I'm ready to push the chips in. Drafting a QB means you're not totally screwed when Brees is done like we were with Favre.

I agree. The window is obviously open. The Defense probably has 1-3 more years of dominance left. They've singed just about everyone so the CAP casualty pain probably won't start to really sting until year 2 or year 3. Plus we've got dynamic offensive weapons and an OL that looks to be on the upswing... just need a guy to make it all go.

On a positive note, because of all of the above things, this team should be one of the most desirable landing spots for veterans with 1-3 seasons left in the tank looking for that one last shot at the ring.
I think this defense can continue dominance as long as Spielman and Zim continue to bring in the right pieces. And I agree this is definitely a desirable landing spot for FA's
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

As long as Rick doesnt make any more horrible trades like the one for Bradford, we should be able to recover through drafting. We just cant sell the Vikings out again, for a QB like Favre or Bradford. I'm not sure anymore if Case is the answer, but spending a huge amount on Smith, Brees, Manning, whatever, isnt the answer. I dont know what is because this team cant find a QB to play for 5 years or more. Whether its bad luck or scouting, our QBs have been sub par or cursed.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ree-agents

Wouldn't mind the Vikings pursuing Norwell.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Good write up as usual PHP, I don't think that there is any chance drafting at # 30 spot that Price or Payne will be there,do you think Rick will be willing to trade up if need be?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think there's a fairly good chance a guy like Price would still be around. Especially if last year is an indication where very few linemen went in the 1st. I've seen a few mocks that have the Vikings taking Price:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... erthought/

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nfl-mo ... january-25
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The Vikings now have two WRs who can get open 1 on 1 and make contested catches. If they can complete a Cowboys/Titans like OL reconstruction (two new interior starters), add a big back to compliment Cook, and a TE with enough athleticism to create a mismatch with linebackers, merely competent QB play should be enough to keep them very competitive. A vet like Brees or Cousins would set the world on fire with that formula. A mobile QB could also be an interesting fit, and open up holes in the run game for the RBs.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:As long as Rick doesnt make any more horrible trades like the one for Bradford, we should be able to recover through drafting. We just cant sell the Vikings out again, for a QB like Favre or Bradford. I'm not sure anymore if Case is the answer, but spending a huge amount on Smith, Brees, Manning, whatever, isnt the answer. I dont know what is because this team cant find a QB to play for 5 years or more. Whether its bad luck or scouting, our QBs have been sub par or cursed.
Well in 2016 someone needed to be our QB. It was either Hill or Bradford. I take throwing a first away and getting Bradford any day over letting our team rot and hope Hill can win some games. Either way, I dont think the trade effected us much anyways. We were able to land Cook and Elflein with our first two picks anyways. Would a first help? Sure but it's not like we had a bad draft because of that trade
-Chazz Palminteri