New OC Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Husker Vike »

Well I see that since he wasn't under contract for 2018, we did not have to wait 10 days to hire him,I hope he turns out to be a great hire, will be interesting to see who he prefers for our QB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Honestly way more excited with him than a retread. I think Philly has a very impressive offensive scheme. Does this make a Foles trade possible?
I will be so ticked if we trade for Foles. I don’t see Philly being where they were if they had Foles all year. We already traded for Bradford. I don’t see us giving up picks for Foles. He could’ve been riding a wave just like Case was. Too unproven and too much of an erratic career for my liking.

#BringAboardCaptainKirk
I hadn't really even thought about Foles, but with DeFilippo being hired, it definitely ratchets up the conversation. And honestly, Foles has a lot going for him.

Don't forget, Foles is the guy who had a 119.2 QBR with 27 TDs and 2 INTs as a 2nd year player under Chip Kelly, who was the first to use Foles in the RPO scheme. So I have to disagree with you about the "too unproven" part. The big 2013 season on a playoff team and 3 straight playoff wins this year, along with a 113.2 QBR and 3-1 record in four playoff games are more proof than Kirk Cousins has ever shown. I wouldn't be opposed to Cousins, but Foles has a track record that is, to me, more impressive than Cousins because of the playoff success. And with DeFilippo in the fold, they have an offensive coordinator who knows how to best use Foles.

I'd be more concerned about what we'd have to give up to get Foles. Philly's not gonna just give away the Super Bowl MVP.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Foles playoff statistics are about the highest all time of any quarterback. Why on earth wouldn't you want the reigning Superbowl MVP to team up with his quarterback coach? You people utterly amaze me with how senseless your comments are. This is obviously a winning recipie that is why Philly ultimately won. People counted them out after Wentz went down and we didn't even show up. I'd rather have forfeited that game than performed like that. Go after Foles.
London Viking
Practice Squad

Post by London Viking »

The foles links will ramp up now flip is in, can't see it happening though. What would they realistically want a 2nd round pick at worst?
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

Love our new OC. I can tell you most Philly fans knew they were going to lose a lot of coaches and players in 2018 but DeFilippo and Schwartz were coveted as need to keep, if possible.

I think he is the perfect OC to ferry us through another year of question marks at the QB position.

Now, Spielman, Zim and DeFilippo can put their nose to the grind stone and figure out the best way out of and into Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Cousins, Foles, Brees and/or the draft.

I think Foles is going to play for someone else in 2018. And with DeFilippo on board, the Vikings are quickly a target for discussion.

Here's why I think Foles is not an Eagle next season

Cap space - The Eagles organization basically put this '17 season on the credit card and luckily for them it paid off. Now they need to figure out how to get under the cap. According to overthecap.com, they are estimated to be about $9.3 million over for players already under contract in '18. Trading Foles would alleviate a maximum of 7.6 million.

Draft picks - The Eagles don't have a second or third round draft pick and they are going to be hurting bad at LB (Can't afford to retain Nigel Bradham, Ellerbe also walks). They also need tackle depth and CB depth badly. They need draft picks! Trading Foles would be a text book sell high deal.

Here's why Foles could be a Viking next season

Coaching Familiarly - The obvious

Discount - Super Bowl MVP for $7.6 million (or less if negotiated) for 1 year

Here's why Foles being a Viking next season doesn't make sense if you're wearing purple

O-Line - Can we really cater to Foles RPO strength the way the Eagles did with a our o-line?

Buy High - We'd have to send some decent picks that we'd otherwise use on O-line starters or D-Line depth.

Long-term Investment - After paying him a modest $7 million the first year and paying the Eagles draft equity (again) and probably designing the entire offensive system around him for 1 year, we'd be committed to handing one of the games greatest backups, an incredibly lucrative starting QB contract or if he did not perform as expected, we start all over again.

I couldn't be happier about the DeFilippo signing - trading for Foles would eliminate that happiness pretty quick.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Yeah I say no on Foles. We only have 5 draft picks this year, so we'd be giving up future picks or even more severely hampering our draft this season. On top of that we didn't have a 1st round pick last season. IMO, that pill is hard to swallow, we need to keep adding young talent. Also, we'd have to pay Foles sooner rather than later, so why not just pay Cousins and keep the draft picks?

I'm still on the Cousins train.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I wonder if the move signifies they plan on drafting a QB.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cliff wrote:I wonder if the move signifies they plan on drafting a QB.

Is there any QB this year worth moving up in the draft to get? Bo Callahan?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Cliff wrote:I wonder if the move signifies they plan on drafting a QB.
Is there any QB this year worth moving up in the draft to get? Bo Callahan?
If you think we have a coach that could "coach him up" I think Lamar Jackson might be around at the end of round 1 or somewhere in 2. With the right coaches I think he could be pretty great.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:Foles playoff statistics are about the highest all time of any quarterback. Why on earth wouldn't you want the reigning Superbowl MVP to team up with his quarterback coach? You people utterly amaze me with how senseless your comments are. This is obviously a winning recipie that is why Philly ultimately won. People counted them out after Wentz went down and we didn't even show up. I'd rather have forfeited that game than performed like that. Go after Foles.
By saying “you people” doesn’t make what you said sound any better. It was obvious you’re referring to me. What’s so “senseless” about what I said? He’s been a backup the last 4 years for a reason. I’m not completely opposed to it but he’s definitely not my first option. Everyone is caught up in this whole super bowl thing with him. Doug Williams won a SB, Jeff Hostetler won a SB, Trent Dilfer won a SB, Brad Johnson won a SB. Just because they win a SB doesn’t automatically make them a good QB. Yeah his QB Coach is now our OC but who’s saying DeFilippo can’t make Cousins better than he already is? Foles had 4 years of mediocre to backup play. That worries me. I truly don’t see the eagles at 13-3 if Foles was their QB most of the year. There’s no denying what he did in the playoffs but there’s also no denying what he did the previous 4 years which was nothing. Kirk Cousins hasn’t had near the weapons Foles had this year. Awful WRs, awful RBs, a banged up TE, a banged up OL and an awful defense.

It drives me nuts when fans say “Cousins hasn’t proved anything and Foles has”. Foles to over a
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Giving up a bunch of money for Cousins or draft picks for Foles doesn't really fit with what this management does - scrambling for Bradford aside. I don't think either one will end up a Viking.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:Yeah I say no on Foles. We only have 5 draft picks this year, so we'd be giving up future picks or even more severely hampering our draft this season. On top of that we didn't have a 1st round pick last season. IMO, that pill is hard to swallow, we need to keep adding young talent. Also, we'd have to pay Foles sooner rather than later, so why not just pay Cousins and keep the draft picks?

I'm still on the Cousins train.
Exactly my reasoning! And it’s not like Philly is just going to give him up for a late rounder. The compensation will be high. Just because DeFilippo is here doesn’t mean we need to go get Foles. He’s worked wonders with many QBs. So why does it have to be Foles. If anyone thinks he can’t make Cousins better than he already is you’re out of your tree. And Cousins is a much better QB than Foles IMO. Foles sample size is very small. And he already practically had the one seed locked up when he became the starter
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:Giving up a bunch of money for Cousins or draft picks for Foles doesn't really fit with what this management does - scrambling for Bradford aside. I don't think either one will end up a Viking.
My buddy said the same thing yesterday to me. However, why did Rick and Zim trade for Bradford? Because they knew they had a roster that could make a run and didn’t wanna waste a season. Also the fact that Teddy’s future was very unsure. They still have a roster that is one of the best in the NFL with very little holes. Don’t think they are just going to settle for someone mediocre. They know they are that close to getting over the hump. This is why I see them making a strong push for Cousins.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am excited by this hiring. I want an OC who actually has the stones to play aggressive football. We better be doing it. He is innovative -I am sure he will mesh nicely with our west coast core.

Regarding Nick Foles - I would pass. We cannot simply afford to keep giving away draft capital to fill in the position with veteran QBs. We don't have a lot of draft capital as it is. Moreover, how much stronger do we need to make Philly? We essentially gave them Derek Barnett and Jay Ajay for Bradford. I could only help better wonder who the Eagles would capitalize on next.

Go for Cousins if he isn't going to break the bank. If he is - pass. I don't even know who would be the front runner at QB in house any longer. I have a feeling it won't be Bradford however.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Cliff wrote:Giving up a bunch of money for Cousins or draft picks for Foles doesn't really fit with what this management does - scrambling for Bradford aside. I don't think either one will end up a Viking.
My buddy said the same thing yesterday to me. However, why did Rick and Zim trade for Bradford? Because they knew they had a roster that could make a run and didn’t wanna waste a season. Also the fact that Teddy’s future was very unsure. They still have a roster that is one of the best in the NFL with very little holes. Don’t think they are just going to settle for someone mediocre. They know they are that close from getting over the hump. This is why I see them making a strong push for Cousins.
After going to the NFCC I'm sure they're feeling even closer to winning it all and so I can definitely see your reasoning. I just think based on how they've treated the position in the past that we're not going to see them spend those kinds of resources for a QB. I could see them investing a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round draft pick on one.

You mention in a post above;
Just because DeFilippo is here doesn’t mean we need to go get Foles. He’s worked wonders with many QBs. So why does it have to be Foles.
I think one of the main ideas behind this hire is to be able to get more from less - exactly so they don't have to spend a bunch of resources on a QB. If you've got a guy who can make Foles look like that and coach up Wentz like he did why on earth would you spend 30 million a year on a QB?