View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 NFC Championship Game Thread: Vikings-Eagles 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: NFC Championship Game Thread: Vikings-Eagles
IIsweet wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
This game reminds me of the 41-0 game, where Denny had built an almost unstoppable offense only ot have it stopped in the playoffs. Then the next season was a disaster and it cost him his job. I could see that happening with Zimmer. I'm sorry, but I am not sold on him as a coach. Defensive coordinator maybe, but not head coach.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I like Zimmer, but 1-10 in the playoffs since leaving Dallas is not good.

1-10? Seems unfair. What's his head coaching record? 1-2?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Jim, you and I were just messaging each other about Zimmer. I'm done with him. He built a great defense but can't coach when it matters. This loss is in him more than the players, imo. They wanted nothing to do with the game after the pick6.

A loss like this can be the beginning of the end for a head coach but we'll see how he fares next year with a new OC, whoever ends up at QB, etc. He's shown some growth but the team's performance today reflects poorly on him. Is he a solid coach or a championship-caliber coach? This was an ugly loss but he bounced back from last season's collapse with his best record this season, despite facing some adversity. Maybe he'll take something of value from this experience and take another step as a head coach.

As I mentioned to you, my fear is that he's a "one trick pony".

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It does bother me as a fan that others fans just give up on their team. I mean hey, do as you please but I just don’t get that

How many years in the nfl without a superbowl and you don't get it?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:02 pm
All Pro Elite Player

The Viks looked unprepared, out coached, and flat. Played an embarrassing game.....but I'll be back. Posting about the draft and off season moves. Curious to see who replaces Shurmur and what Zimmers response to season end sounds like. It will suck going into work tomorrow and facing all the crap headed my way. But hey.....kinda used to it. Night all

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It does bother me as a fan that others fans just give up on their team. I mean hey, do as you please but I just don’t get that

How many years in the nfl without a superbowl and you don't get it?

I don’t care. They are my favorite team and always will be. I’m not a quitter that’s just going to lay down because they lost today. Sorry not me. Never will be. I get it, it sucks but I’m not going to ever quit on my team. Simple as that

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 pm
Starter

What Percy said soon as u quit they'll get one

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 pm
All Pro Elite Player

How many of us thought we would have 14 wins this year? Enjoy!!!
After this game I have more concerns about our Defense than I do our offense.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Replying to @GoesslingStrib
Mike Zimmer said Elflein's injury is "serious," but wouldn't elaborate when asked what it was.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:
Mike Zimmer said Elflein's injury is "serious," but wouldn't elaborate when asked what it was.

He has a long time to recover. One of the few Oline that is actually worth keeping. Maybe Remmers. Hill and Sirles must be off of the Vikings roster.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 pm
Fenrir

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

He has a long time to recover. One of the few Oline that is actually worth keeping. Maybe Remmers. Hill and Sirles must be off of the Vikings roster.
Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks. Berger sounded like he's retiring. Easton will likely be back so really depth and a starting guard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 am
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks. Berger sounded like he's retiring. Easton will likely be back so really depth and a starting guard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think both Reiff and Easton can be kept, but we need really good Olinemen, and those 2 aernt. We saw today what a good Oline does against a supposedly good Dline. The Oline owned them. Foles looked like a starting Vet of 10 years out there, no one could touch him. And watch the Eagles oline. They didnt get manhandled very much at all. Our did. They were after him or in his face the whole game. We need to have one of the best Olines in the NFL to get to the big game. Our Dline is good enough if they dont go one vacation for 6 quarters. Elf is solid, and mean. Hes fast, he throws some awesome lead blocks. Thats what I want on our Oline. I know we wont have it in 1 year, but we could in 2. Brady never gets pressured, and he always has a good Oline. He can also make any WR look like a superstar. Which is why I am not sure we should spend too much on Case. Anyways, I have been calling for good drafted Oline, I hope Rick figures that out as well. And no stupid trades for an injury prone has been QB. He likes to gamble too much.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 am
Starting Wide Receiver

I would honestly be ok if they drafted 4 or more OL. They need more like Elflein and you won't find the in free agency.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Practice Squad

A lot I like about Case - he has shown good awareness escaping trouble but the Eagles didn't beat the pocket, they collapsed it and few can escape that. The touch passes, little lobs over the D are lovely. But there was a pass to Theilen, I think in the first quarter, the replay should so much effort in his face trying to throw a Favre-like bullet into a tiny window but the ball still had little zip on it, a very weak arm.

Play calling, I agree, was bad at times but the D looked a little behind the pace all game. I think a long season really took its toll last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 am
All Pro Elite Player

Veteran coaches like Mike Zimmer and Pat Shurmur should not be out-coached like this. But they were. I’m at a loss for what to say in regard to how they came up with their game plan, and how they failed to make the necessary changes.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/1/21 ... the-season

Just one writers opinion.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

One specific area that illustrated the difference between the Eagles' preparation and ours: the trenches.

I thought for sure that one key advantage the Vikings would have would be Everson vs. Vaitai (an undrafted rookie from TCU who was with the Vikings in camp and preseason and then got cut). How in the world was Vaitai going to keep Griffen from totally ruining Foles' day? They gave him help, and it worked.

On the other side of the coin, I think of the key play when we were in FG range on 3rd down and our coaches thought it was a good protection scheme to have David Morgan try to come across the backfield and pick up a rusher of the edge on Case's blind side. That's mind blowing, and it illustrates how much better the Eagles' blocking schemes were, despite very questionable talent level in Vaitai.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
One specific area that illustrated the difference between the Eagles' preparation and ours: the trenches.

I thought for sure that one key advantage the Vikings would have would be Everson vs. Vaitai (an undrafted rookie from TCU who was with the Vikings in camp and preseason and then got cut). How in the world was Vaitai going to keep Griffen from totally ruining Foles' day? They gave him help, and it worked.

On the other side of the coin, I think of the key play when we were in FG range on 3rd down and our coaches thought it was a good protection scheme to have David Morgan try to come across the backfield and pick up a rusher of the edge on Case's blind side. That's mind blowing, and it illustrates how much better the Eagles' blocking schemes were, despite very questionable talent level in Vaitai.

That was mind-blowing and it should give anyone who has an excess of confidence in Mike Zimmer and his staff pause. It's not the first time we've seen that kind of choice backfire under Zimmer.

It should concern all of us that Zimmer was hired for his defensive expertise, given the time and opportunity to build the defense he wanted, and that unit was destroyed by the Eagles yesterday. He was out-coached and his defense, the emphasis of the Vikings plan to win a Super Bowl, was embarrassed.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

That was mind-blowing and it should give anyone who has an excess of confidence in Mike Zimmer and his staff pause. It's not the first time we've seen that kind of choice backfire under Zimmer.

It should concern all of us that Zimmer was hired for his defensive expertise, given the time and opportunity to build the defense he wanted, and that unit was destroyed by the Eagles yesterday. He was out-coached and his defense, the emphasis of the Vikings plan to win a Super Bowl, was embarrassed.
Correct, Jim. I lost a lot of faith in Zimmer last week against New Orleans, but hey, they were playing Drew Brees. Now, nick Foles made us look like half of Leslie Frasier's teams were playing. It was pathetic and embarrassing.
I am not satisfied with a 13-3 season that doesn't end in a super bowl appearance. Thats like a baseball player going 5 for his first 5 and then striking out with the bases loaded and two outs in the 9th down by one.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Backup

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I totally agree. As good a coach as Simmer has been, he seems to not be able to make adjustments. I don't know if it's stubbornness or what, but to have no answer for the slants that killed us is inexcusable for a defensive mind.

The defense looked lost and watching Wayne's stand flat footed against the eagles receiver who went in to score was just typical of the whole night. Sickening.

I hope he learned something.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:

That had to be the worst play design in the history of play designs. I assume they ran that in practice and it worked, but super dumb design IMHO. Heck, even if the TE sets on the side of that DE it's still asking for trouble.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Bring back Mike Tice!

*edit--to run the offensive line

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 am
Hall of Famer

germannorseman wrote:
I totally agree. As good a coach as Simmer has been, he seems to not be able to make adjustments. I don't know if it's stubbornness or what, but to have no answer for the slants that killed us is inexcusable for a defensive mind.

The defense looked lost and watching Wayne's stand flat footed against the eagles receiver who went in to score was just typical of the whole night. Sickening.

That was stunning to me too. The Eagles literally ran the same plays over and over and over on the same drive and the Vikings defensively did nothing to alter how they defensed them. Those slants were one example, but there was another drive that had several screens in a row too.

Some here have talked about being out-coached, but I don't think the Eagles and Foles really did all that much genius-level stuff in this game. It was pretty vanilla, but it was effective against a rigid scheme.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am
Hall of Famer

One other thing I have to say - Foles was EXCELLENT last night. I mean, he wasn't just good - he was incredible. If he can repeat that performance against the Patriots, the Eagles have a very good chance to win the Superbowl. His accuracy, often under duress, was amazing. He kept plays alive, made incredibly good decisions (the one where he pulled the ball down to avoid a possible batdown and then fired it cleanly was unreal), and protected the ball (how he held on when Griffen hit his arm on that one play that resulted in the long TD to Alshon is beyond me).

Foles played the QB position last night as well as it can be played. And I mean that historically among all great NFL QBs. The Vikings defense looked inept trying to stop him, but he was a big reason why they looked inept. I personally doubt he'll come anywhere close to that level of play again, perhaps in his career, but the Eagles will be Superbowl champs in 2 weeks if he does.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:08 am
All Pro Elite Player

No pressure and missed tackles can do wonders for an offense. Foles had a 141 QB rating which is pretty telling.
I also think the Eagles was running the type of offensive plays we should have been running,
considering the shape our offensive line was in.
Not sure I'm a big fan of all the switching on the offensive line the last 2 games.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I'm conflicted. I think Zimmer and his staff deserve criticism for yesterday's massive failure, but I think he (and they) deserve major praise for what they accomplished this season. He got out-coached yesterday. He'd be the first to admit that. I still see reason to hope that he can learn from this game and be better prepared if there is ever a next time.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
I'm conflicted. I think Zimmer and his staff deserve criticism for yesterday's massive failure, but I think he (and they) deserve major praise for what they accomplished this season. He got out-coached yesterday. He'd be the first to admit that. I still see reason to hope that he can learn from this game and be better prepared if there is ever a next time.

There is reason to hope for that outcome. That's how I'm looking at it too. Hopefully, he'll learn from this experience, adapt and grow into a better head coach.

For me, concern over what we just saw and hope that it yields improvement aren't conflicting feelings. :)

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm
Fenrir

germannorseman wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I don't know that that is entirely fair. I think this team has been quite good at halftime adjustments. There was a time when we would lead at halftime and lose the game due to adjustments and it happened over and over. Clearly the Saints made better halftime adjustments and the Eagles, well, the Eagles just beat our ####.

But looking over the season, I'd say adjustments at the half were probably a strength for this team.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm
Waterboy

Just joined this forum last night..

I'm laughing at all the people sticking up for our team. Lets break this down shall we..

1. Where was the motivation for this game? I saw none!

2. Where were the adjustments?

3. Diggs, Elfein,Sendejo,Rhodes were out. That really hurt. I honestly think Sendejo and Rhodes being out really hurt.

4. We were playing an NFC Championship game, they played like it was preseason. No fire , None. In fact when they showed the players faces on the field after the pick 6, they looked scared and didn't want to be there.

5. We would have been the 1st team in history to play a superbowl at home! WTF! That should have motivated the hell out of them right there. Why would the coaches even need to speak?

#5 is absolutely absurd on 100 levels! Were some of these players families threatened? Were they threatened? Blackmail? I can't possibly for the life of me understand how this team just laid down like that...

They didn't even try after they scored.. The pick 6 and it was over.. Someone please explain this BS to me.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Its the way they lost it was like there was only one team playing on the field from the second quarter on. You can't lose by 31 points like that and just say it was a bad game. That team showed yesterday and didn't want to play from what I saw. That is an internal issue to have an entire team that unprepared.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 am
Transition Player

Last edited by Dmizzle0 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 am
Transition Player

Last edited by Dmizzle0 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next