NFC Championship Game Thread: Vikings-Eagles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: NFC Championship Game Thread: Vikings-Eagles

Post by 808vikingsfan »

IIsweet wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:This game reminds me of the 41-0 game, where Denny had built an almost unstoppable offense only ot have it stopped in the playoffs. Then the next season was a disaster and it cost him his job. I could see that happening with Zimmer. I'm sorry, but I am not sold on him as a coach. Defensive coordinator maybe, but not head coach.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I like Zimmer, but 1-10 in the playoffs since leaving Dallas is not good.
1-10? Seems unfair. What's his head coaching record? 1-2?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Jim, you and I were just messaging each other about Zimmer. I'm done with him. He built a great defense but can't coach when it matters. This loss is in him more than the players, imo. They wanted nothing to do with the game after the pick6.
A loss like this can be the beginning of the end for a head coach but we'll see how he fares next year with a new OC, whoever ends up at QB, etc. He's shown some growth but the team's performance today reflects poorly on him. Is he a solid coach or a championship-caliber coach? This was an ugly loss but he bounced back from last season's collapse with his best record this season, despite facing some adversity. Maybe he'll take something of value from this experience and take another step as a head coach.

As I mentioned to you, my fear is that he's a "one trick pony".
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:It does bother me as a fan that others fans just give up on their team. I mean hey, do as you please but I just don’t get that
How many years in the nfl without a superbowl and you don't get it?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

The Viks looked unprepared, out coached, and flat. Played an embarrassing game.....but I'll be back. Posting about the draft and off season moves. Curious to see who replaces Shurmur and what Zimmers response to season end sounds like. It will suck going into work tomorrow and facing all the crap headed my way. But hey.....kinda used to it. Night all
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

allday1991 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:It does bother me as a fan that others fans just give up on their team. I mean hey, do as you please but I just don’t get that
How many years in the nfl without a superbowl and you don't get it?
I don’t care. They are my favorite team and always will be. I’m not a quitter that’s just going to lay down because they lost today. Sorry not me. Never will be. I get it, it sucks but I’m not going to ever quit on my team. Simple as that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

What Percy said soon as u quit they'll get one
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How many of us thought we would have 14 wins this year? Enjoy!!!
After this game I have more concerns about our Defense than I do our offense.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Replying to @GoesslingStrib
Mike Zimmer said Elflein's injury is "serious," but wouldn't elaborate when asked what it was.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

halfgiz wrote:Replying to @GoesslingStrib
Mike Zimmer said Elflein's injury is "serious," but wouldn't elaborate when asked what it was.
He has a long time to recover. One of the few Oline that is actually worth keeping. Maybe Remmers. Hill and Sirles must be off of the Vikings roster.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
He has a long time to recover. One of the few Oline that is actually worth keeping. Maybe Remmers. Hill and Sirles must be off of the Vikings roster.
Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks. Berger sounded like he's retiring. Easton will likely be back so really depth and a starting guard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Reiff, Remmers and Elflein are locks. Berger sounded like he's retiring. Easton will likely be back so really depth and a starting guard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I think both Reiff and Easton can be kept, but we need really good Olinemen, and those 2 aernt. We saw today what a good Oline does against a supposedly good Dline. The Oline owned them. Foles looked like a starting Vet of 10 years out there, no one could touch him. And watch the Eagles oline. They didnt get manhandled very much at all. Our did. They were after him or in his face the whole game. We need to have one of the best Olines in the NFL to get to the big game. Our Dline is good enough if they dont go one vacation for 6 quarters. Elf is solid, and mean. Hes fast, he throws some awesome lead blocks. Thats what I want on our Oline. I know we wont have it in 1 year, but we could in 2. Brady never gets pressured, and he always has a good Oline. He can also make any WR look like a superstar. Which is why I am not sure we should spend too much on Case. Anyways, I have been calling for good drafted Oline, I hope Rick figures that out as well. And no stupid trades for an injury prone has been QB. He likes to gamble too much.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I would honestly be ok if they drafted 4 or more OL. They need more like Elflein and you won't find the in free agency.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

A lot I like about Case - he has shown good awareness escaping trouble but the Eagles didn't beat the pocket, they collapsed it and few can escape that. The touch passes, little lobs over the D are lovely. But there was a pass to Theilen, I think in the first quarter, the replay should so much effort in his face trying to throw a Favre-like bullet into a tiny window but the ball still had little zip on it, a very weak arm.

Play calling, I agree, was bad at times but the D looked a little behind the pace all game. I think a long season really took its toll last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Veteran coaches like Mike Zimmer and Pat Shurmur should not be out-coached like this. But they were. I’m at a loss for what to say in regard to how they came up with their game plan, and how they failed to make the necessary changes.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/1/21 ... the-season

Just one writers opinion.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

One specific area that illustrated the difference between the Eagles' preparation and ours: the trenches.

I thought for sure that one key advantage the Vikings would have would be Everson vs. Vaitai (an undrafted rookie from TCU who was with the Vikings in camp and preseason and then got cut). How in the world was Vaitai going to keep Griffen from totally ruining Foles' day? They gave him help, and it worked.

On the other side of the coin, I think of the key play when we were in FG range on 3rd down and our coaches thought it was a good protection scheme to have David Morgan try to come across the backfield and pick up a rusher of the edge on Case's blind side. That's mind blowing, and it illustrates how much better the Eagles' blocking schemes were, despite very questionable talent level in Vaitai.