Attacking the Eagles

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Attacking the Eagles

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
EagleRob
Practice Squad

Re: Attacking the Eagles

Post by EagleRob »

Good insight, but a lot of our bad YAC comes late in games when teams are trying to play catch up and we are just letting them get some underneath throws in. Even those gifs are from games we won.

You want to attack us... run no huddle to stop us from substituting our entire D line. Giants did that alot, just weren't good enough to win the game. Most teams if they aren't used to constantly going no huddle... won't try it now.
When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like discrimination.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

EagleRob wrote:Good insight, but a lot of our bad YAC comes late in games when teams are trying to play catch up and we are just letting them get some underneath throws in. Even those gifs are from games we won.

You want to attack us... run no huddle to stop us from substituting our entire D line. Giants did that alot, just weren't good enough to win the game. Most teams if they aren't used to constantly going no huddle... won't try it now.
Case runs that well. The problem is when that doesn't work. Then the defense gets gassed. I'd expect them to run it in spots but not excessively.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Man, I have NFL Game Pass and I just re-watched that Philly game vs Atlanta. Their offense is ridiculously boring to watch. No less Nick Foles looks like a middle school QB out there. You can tell his coach has zero confidence in him and that he has no confidence in himself. I counted 7 quick slants that he completed over the middle. The rest were a combination of quick outs and check downs to his RB. Their offense reminds me of a high school offense right now with Foles in there. He's wildly inaccurate deep. If we dont find a way to beat this team I will be beside myself. Their offense is not good. At all right now.

Defense is solid vs. the run but gave up big plays when misdirection was called. As for their pass defense....many, many holes. Matt Ryan did a good job of getting the ball out quick when they blitzed. He got caught a few times but I feel like Case can do a good job of that. He's not one to hold onto the ball forever.

We are a much, much better team. The Eagles are dead in the water. I can see it now :ripple: #BringItHome
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Man, I have NFL Game Pass and I just re-watched that Philly game vs Atlanta. Their offense is ridiculously boring to watch. No less Nick Foles looks like a middle school QB out there. You can tell his coach has zero confidence in him and that he has no confidence in himself. I counted 7 quick slants that he completed over the middle. The rest were a combination of quick outs and check downs to his RB. Their offense reminds me of a high school offense right now with Foles in there. He's wildly inaccurate deep. If we dont find a way to beat this team I will be beside myself. Their offense is not good. At all right now.

Defense is solid vs. the run but gave up big plays when misdirection was called. As for their pass defense....many, many holes. Matt Ryan did a good job of getting the ball out quick when they blitzed. He got caught a few times but I feel like Case can do a good job of that. He's not one to hold onto the ball forever.

We are a much, much better team. The Eagles are dead in the water. I can see it now :ripple: #BringItHome
The thing about their offense is that their offensive line is really, really good. Even without Jason Peters. It's great we're facing Foles, who is obviously limited in a lot of ways. But it's still not going to be easy to stop their running game. We will have to be careful not to get beat in the screen game and the short passing game, which are ironically the same ways the article mentioned we should attack them.

Personally I'm terrified. I mean, we're kind of playing with house money at this point, so that helps. But Doug Pederson is a very good offensive coach. They will come up with ways to hide Foles, trust me.

Our formula should be to avoid turnovers and have two sustained scoring drives. Hopefully we can get a turnover or two and score off those and end up with 17-20 points. I'm hoping that will be enough. If we, again, limit turnovers, I think it should be enough.

If they had Wentz....... I'm really not sure how we would win. Haha
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Keenum is a pretty mobile QB, I expect play action and roll-outs and scrambling to extend the play. We have the receiving corps to be able to attack through the air.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Man, I have NFL Game Pass and I just re-watched that Philly game vs Atlanta. Their offense is ridiculously boring to watch.
I wasn't going to quote all the smack, but I too thought the tape showed weakness from Philly. They took advantage of Atlanta's bad tackling - maybe I saw 8-10 missed tackles that game, sometimes multiple on the same play, while the Vikings had about 2 missed tackles per game this season. I'm guessing Philly doesn't get quite as much gift yardage against us as they got last week.

I don't think Foles looked bad last week, but he was throwing to open receivers a lot. Atlanta seemed to play off a lot, and there were a few DB slips on the turf, so Foles was able to throw into huge windows. It could happen this week, but that wouldn't be the way to bet. The Eagles managed to have 40, 60, 70, and 80 yard scoring drives against the Falcons. I can't imagine that happening against our defense. But they could end up with five scoring drives of 0, 10, 20, 30, and 70 in theory, if we have turnovers and bad special teams play.