All we ever do is talk about next year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

All we ever do is talk about next year

Post by mosscarter »

You realize we've now lost 2 NFC Championship's by a combined score of 79-7? For those who don't find that extremely troubling I don't even know what to say. Randy Moss said it best after the 2000 meltdown, "I doubt if we will ever win a championship in Minnesota." There is something wrong with the culture of this team and Moss new it all along. All I know is I'm done wasting energy on them, because this has gotten to the point of trying to root for a different ending to a Greek Tragedy. How in the world do you allow 38 unanswered points to the Eagles (or any team for that matter). What a disgusting embarrassment at best. I'm still in awe.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: All we ever do is talk about next year

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So who is your new team?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I suppose I'm stuck Maelstrom, had their symbol tattooed on my arm back in my early 20's. Cursed for life.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mosscarter wrote:I suppose I'm stuck Maelstrom, had their symbol tattooed on my arm back in my early 20's. Cursed for life.
Hang in there man. When it happens it will be worth the heartbreak. I'm relatively new to Vikings fandom but I had more fun watching this team these last two years by far than watching the Rams since Martz was fired. Just try to enjoy the small stuff and appreciate watching players like Moss, Carter, Culpepper, Adrian, Viking Favre, and the current group on defense that is usually fun to watch.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Its a game. Period.

We aren't owed anything.
It's difficult to win in any league.
Odds (from a probability/statistical standpoint) are that we may NEVER win the big one. Let that sink in.
I'm okay with that.

If god(or one who could see the future) were to tell me that the Minnesota Vikings will never win a SB... I'm still going to be a Vikings' fan. Its our team.

Cubs fans waited over a hundred years.. Redsox waited 80+
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

I'm with 84breaksankles, I watch because I love football but having a team to cheer adds some emotional investment. If I was in it for the rings I'd be a Pats fan pretending to have cheered them pre-Brady like a million other losers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: If god(or one who could see the future) were to tell me that the Minnesota Vikings will never win a SB... I'm still going to be a Vikings' fan. Its our team.
Truer words have never been spoken. As frustrating as it has been and is likely to continue to be as a fan of this team, I don't really have a choice in the matter.

Someone gave me the book "Purple Hearts and Golden Memories", which is a history of the Vikings up through the Dennis Green era. It's an awesome book BTW and I highly recommend it to any fan of this team. While the book recounts all the heartbreaking moments the team and its fans have suffered over the years, it also recounts how amazing this team and the men who have GM'ed it, coached it, and played for it have been. Lots of excellence and dedication and amazing moments are there, and every time I look at it (which I usually do after the end of a season), I remember that no matter what, I was born a fan of this team and will die a fan of this team.

So yeah, we're owed nothing by anyone and there are no guarantees, especially when it comes to this level of sport (in any sport, not just football). And I'm OK with that. While I want the Vikings to win a Superbowl in my lifetime, if they don't I will feel no regrets because in the big picture, that is actually a really small part. It's all the steps leading up to that, year after year, that make the memories truly great.

SKOL Vikings! :smilevike:
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

mosscarter wrote:All I know is I'm done wasting energy on them, because this has gotten to the point of trying to root for a different ending to a Greek Tragedy.
You're done wasting energy on them? How do you do that? Being a fan of the Vikings is a lifelong affliction for which there is no cure. Heck, I moved away in 1972 and have lived in other cities with their own teams to cheer for, but my lifelong love-hate fanaticism for the Vikings has never faded. As much as I wanted to give up on them at times, I can't. I'm stuck. But, hey, there's always next year!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Not sure why this is a new thread but I guess if you're done with them, then be done with them. The team in 2000 has nothing to do with the team in 2017. I guess I dont really understand what the purpose of this thread is.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I suppose I wrote (and try to write) on a topic that stimulates debate anytime I post. With that said, I did write this because I'm still in complete shock as to how a team can implode like that. In 2000, we had a horrific defense, in 2017 we had the number 1 defense: my point=virtually the same exact results. Can someone rationally explain how that happens? In the 60 minutes they needed to show up the most they showed up the least. That was easily our worst defensive performance (considering the situation) in Zimmer's era in my opinion. I did believe the Saints were a better all around team, but after we knocked them out, did we get complacent? I think we had too on some level. These are Zimmer's guys on defense, these are his schemes, and his system is fully locked in and we gave up 38 unanswered? I think we have a much bigger problem than anyone is letting on in here. Mothman touched on it in another thread-maybe this next year is Zimmer's last. All I know is this, if they don't make the right decision at QB I believe it most certainly will be. I want to have faith in Zim, but after hearing him say something like "I feel I was made to do this" and "made to coach in these situations" and to have a defense that allowed 38? Like I said wow.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:I suppose I wrote (and try to write) on a topic that stimulates debate anytime I post. With that said, I did write this because I'm still in complete shock as to how a team can implode like that. In 2000, we had a horrific defense, in 2017 we had the number 1 defense: my point=virtually the same exact results. Can someone rationally explain how that happens?

Inadequate preparation, poor execution and the opposite from the opposing team. It seems like it should be more complex than that but I think it's that simple.
In the 60 minutes they needed to show up the most they showed up the least. That was easily our worst defensive performance (considering the situation) in Zimmer's era in my opinion. I did believe the Saints were a better all around team, but after we knocked them out, did we get complacent? I think we had too on some level. These are Zimmer's guys on defense, these are his schemes, and his system is fully locked in and we gave up 38 unanswered? I think we have a much bigger problem than anyone is letting on in here.

You could be right. Here's something a little unsettling: Zimmer also had a #1-ranked defense when he was a coordinator in Dallas and that year, the Cowboys went one-and-done in the playoffs and allowed 29 points to Carolina. I realize that was a long time ago but it's not exactly encouraging in light of what happened this year in the postseason. He had two top 5 defenses while he was Bengals DC too. They played in 2 playoff games and allowed 24 points (to the Jets) and 27 (to the Chargers) respectively. That's not horrible but again, it's a bit discouraging to look at that history knowing it repeated itself with the Vikings this year. He wasn't a head coach in any of those previous situatiosn but he was preparing and calling the defense in all those games.
Mothman touched on it in another thread-maybe this next year is Zimmer's last. All I know is this, if they don't make the right decision at QB I believe it most certainly will be. I want to have faith in Zim, but after hearing him say something like "I feel I was made to do this" and "made to coach in these situations" and to have a defense that allowed 38? Like I said wow.
We'll see what happens. His team basically collapsed in 2016 and he was able to rebound from that with his most successful season as head coach so maybe he'll learn from this experience and come back better. I hope so but I won't be surprised if this loss to the Eagles proves to be the beginning of the end.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The play that really sticks in my craw regarding Zimmer's defense is not any play in the game against Philly, but the late 4th-and-10 that the Saints converted in the playoff game that put them in position to kick what probably should have been the game-winning field goal. In my view, that play demanded a much more aggressive approach that should have forced the ball out to a receiver short of the sticks, at which point it would have been up to the nearest defender to make the tackle and effectively end the game. Instead of doing that, the Vikings rushed just four, which gave deeper routes a chance to develop, and in turn allowed one of the best QBs in the game to easily find a receiver already past the sticks for the 1st down.

That, more than anything, represents a mindsight of trying not to lose rather than trying to win, and that has been the death knell of more than one NFL coach. When Dennis Green's offense took the late knee against Atlanta, at home in the biggest game of the year, that showed Green's mentality and, I think, was the beginning of the end of his time in Minnesota even though it went on for a few more seasons. The Vikings simply got too far behind Philly too fast for Zimmer to show further indications his team would play not to lose rather than to win, but that late play against the Saints is not a good omen.

As others have pointed out, Zimmer still can show he's learned something, but gut check time is when the real "you" is exposed, when what you're made of and what fundamentally drives you forward is forced out into the open. When you need a big play and have an opportunity in front of you, do you recognize it and attempt to seize it, or do you pull back and attempt not to lose something you don't even have yet?
suncoastvike
Practice Squad

Post by suncoastvike »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Its a game. Period.

We aren't owed anything.
It's difficult to win in any league.
Odds (from a probability/statistical standpoint) are that we may NEVER win the big one. Let that sink in.
I'm okay with that.

If god(or one who could see the future) were to tell me that the Minnesota Vikings will never win a SB... I'm still going to be a Vikings' fan. Its our team.

Cubs fans waited over a hundred years.. Redsox waited 80+
This is both inspiring and depressing.

''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I agreed with everything you posted, so forgive me if I ‘nitpick’ the one thing I question:
84BreaksAnkles wrote: Odds (from a probability/statistical standpoint) are that we may NEVER win the big one. Let that sink in.
All things being equal (and I realize they almost never are - but stay with me), shouldn't we be expecting to win a Super Bowl once every 32 years?
Last edited by Just Me on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Viking Lord you made great points and the reality is this: a championship after we are dead means nothing, so stop citing the Cubs and Red Sox. I'm not trying to get all religious or anything, but it either happens, or it doesn't and if it happens after I'm gone why would I care? To me that is utterly senseless thinking. You think you will witness a Vikings Super Bowl victory from the other side, well guess what, I'm not signing up for that.