View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Next years QB 
Practice Squad

Post Re: Next years QB
Laserman wrote:
No team, not even the Browns will want Teddy as a Starting QB.

Agreed.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:21 am
Practice Squad

London Viking wrote:
Interesting to see what happens with Case now, I think I would be against investing in him for multiple years on a big contract as we don't know how he's going to get on without shurmur being there and even though it's going to be a big chunk of cash for a 1 year deal tagging him could make sense as over the course of the season he does deserve to have a shot at leading this side next year. despite the playoff wobbles.

I think Bradford is probably done now, his knees are shot you can't trust when he's going to break down next plus he's made a fortune out of the game over the years for well being injured for most of it. i'd be surprised to see him settle for back up money somewhere and I can't see a team paying him to be their starter in 18'

It would be great to keep Teddy to be a back up to case and with a full training camp and pre season games under his belt see if he still properly has it after 2 years out.

Obviously the new OC may have a big say in these decisions

ideal scenario
tag case
re sign teddy on a small deal
release sam

Not sure if I'd tag Case or sign Teddy but I agree with releasing Sam. Unfortunate too really because I thought Sam could be a top 10 qb and likely approach the top 5 with a healthy year. Damn the luck.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 am
Practice Squad

I believe we should resign Case. He's not the prefect QB but he is gutty and a gamer. We need to add more pieces to a thin OL and roll with him. In a prefect world Sam would be the guy. He is the most championship ready guy we've had in a long while. However great arm, terrible knee. It was a shame he career went like it has. He will always be defined by the fact he was the last of the big payday rookies. People have beaten him down for the money he made. He hasn't earned all of it but he earned more then alot of them. Teddy I'll be honest never inspired me. Too afraid of himself to be a true gamer. If you don't try and force tight windows you will never be successful. He plays too safe for me. Not sold on this tremendous upside I've heard of. That and his bad knee has yet to be tested. If they could toll his contract. Bring him back as Case's backup. If he truly has taken the next step he will have his chance to show it.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am
Practice Squad

I feel like if they went back to Teddy it would be a wasted year. He could not make quick decisions back there and took too many sacks. Keenum was a one year wonder, and Cousins would be a lot of money spent on a guy who also takes way too many sacks and is loose with the ball. He’s closer to Cutler than he is to being the missing piece. Bradford will never make it through a full season and they need to move on there as well.

If it comes down to one or the other, I think they will go with Teddy for less money and possibly just sign someone like McCown as a backup. That would be easier to move on from if it doesn’t work out (likely). Need to draft qbs both this year and next, or perhaps Sloter turns into a viable backup or future starter.

Throwing a big contract at Keenum is not the right thing to do. That would be like what the Bears did with Glennon. I like the guy and he helped us this year, but he is a fill in guy, not a franchise type qb. We may never get one of those.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 am
Hall of Famer

kidfozzy. wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
To say we should let case walk and let teddy take over is a joke. You have trust in Teddy who’s done nothing special with this team and we have no idea if he can’t even play worth a damn but we wanna give up on the guy that brought us to the NFC championship? Seriously? I don’t get it. I’m done for the night

If we franchise tag Keenum for over $16 million next season, I will be livid. We need to extend our defensive players.

First, the franchise tag for quarterbacks will be about $23 million, not $16 million. I guess that means you'll pop a blood vessel in your brain.

Second, we have more than $60 million in cap space. This is EXACTLY the time we should invest in the quarterback we want.

If that's Case, I'll back the team. Will you? If that's somebody else like Kirk Cousins, I'll still back the team.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am
Practice Squad

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Raz wrote:
Something changed down the stretch and in the playoffs case got more conservative less mobile or something the big or explosive or lucky plays went down. Personally I think it was the coaches pulling it in
I agree. The coaches got scared. You could see it in the Chicago game. It was a totally different offense. They lost their aggression. I think Shurmur let his new fame go to his head.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The offense looked like Shurmur had already checked out and left town. I predict he will fail in New York.

Look a Philly’s play calling in this game. That was a clinic and it made Shurmur look like an amateur.

I hope Darrell Bevell stays away. Want no part of that mess again.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 am
Hall of Famer

I Like Alex Smith, but as far as the playoffs are concerned , I wouldn't exactly call him a winner. Not the Answer. Didn't do much in San Fran, Chiefs already drafted his replacement. See the writing on the wall.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

Case hit his high water mark this year. He's an elite backup or a middling starter. I'd be thrilled to keep him on a contract that is in line with what he is, but he may not take it.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:32 am
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

Case hit his high water mark this year. He's an elite backup or a middling starter. I'd be thrilled to keep him on a contract that is in line with what he is, but he may not take it.

I think there is enough need at QB in the league for someone to offer Case a starting deal. If the Vikes want to keep him, they'll have to do the same and I don't know if that is going to happen. He's had a great year, but his limitations started to show up in the playoffs and I'm not sure he's going to be able to repeat what he did this season, be it in Minnesota or elsewhere.

I'm not as sold on dumping Bradford. The injuries are a concern, but the guy is a natural talent who will dominate if he gets protection. That game to open the season against New Orleans was a taste of what he can do. It's definitely a risk, but Bradford is a top-10 QB when healthy. Maybe the Vikes can keep him for less than he might get elsewhere given his injury history.

As for Bridgewater, I think it says a lot that he was not the backup in the playoffs. The coaches know best where he's at in terms of his ability to play, and he would likely not get a big offer to play elsewhere during free agency given the unknowns surrounding his recovery, so he'd be the cheapest option. The main issue I have with Bridgewater is, even if he's healthy, is he a playmaker? Is he a guy who is going to be capable of doing what Nick Foles managed to do against the Vikings to actually win a game and not just manage it? Is he a QB who gets the team to 11-12 wins, but then can't or won't step up in the big games to take risks and make big plays? I think that's the kind of QB a team with a chance to get to and win a Superbowl needs to have.

All of the options have warts - the question is, which of the guys has the best risk-reward balance? To me that is clearly Bradford. Keenum, despite his year, regressed in the risk department in the playoffs, and is a distant second. Bridgewater isn't even on the same chart as the other two.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:24 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote:
Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

And Teddy's a good starter?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote:
As for Bridgewater, I think it says a lot that he was not the backup in the playoffs. The coaches know best where he's at in terms of his ability to play, and he would likely not get a big offer to play elsewhere during free agency given the unknowns surrounding his recovery, so he'd be the cheapest option. The main issue I have with Bridgewater is, even if he's healthy, is he a playmaker? Is he a guy who is going to be capable of doing what Nick Foles managed to do against the Vikings to actually win a game and not just manage it? Is he a QB who gets the team to 11-12 wins, but then can't or won't step up in the big games to take risks and make big plays? I think that's the kind of QB a team with a chance to get to and win a Superbowl needs to have.

Exactly. I dont get all this, dump Case and keep Teddy bologna.

WE HAVE:

A guy that is 29, won the NFC North, lead us to a 13-3 record, just led us to the NFC championship as a backup and has no injury history. Also stat wise threw for 3500, 22 TDs and 7 INTs in 14.5 games

OR

A guy that is young but hasnt played meaningful football in 2 years, almost lost his leg to an injury, has yet to prove anything even when he was healthy, never won a playoff game, etc. He also has never hit 3500 yards, hasnt eclipsed 14 TDs in a season and threw more picks in both seasons than Case did this year.

Hello???? The choice couldnt be more obvious. I think we can retain both, but if we cant, it's gotta be Case.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am
Veteran

I think they should try to get Cousins or Eli Manning. Move on from everyone but Sloter and still draft one when talent meets draft slot. Everyone knows the future QB isn't here now so why waste time on any of them?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:29 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
VikingLord wrote:

Exactly. I dont get all this, dump Case and keep Teddy bologna.

WE HAVE:

A guy that is 29, won the NFC North, lead us to a 13-3 record, just led us to the NFC championship as a backup and has no injury history. Also stat wise threw for 3500, 22 TDs and 7 INTs in 14.5 games

OR

A guy that is young but hasnt played meaningful football in 2 years, almost lost his leg to an injury, has yet to prove anything even when he was healthy, never won a playoff game, etc. He also has never hit 3500 yards, hasnt eclipsed 14 TDs in a season and threw more picks in both seasons than Case did this year.

Hello???? The choice couldnt be more obvious. I think we can retain both, but if we cant, it's gotta be Case.

Will be very interesting for sure but I am thinking I fall in your camp as far as what we should do. Id actually try to retain Case and Sam if possible (I know thats a stretch). Let Sloter learn the ropes for another year and see what we have.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm
Fenrir

Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm
Veteran

S197 wrote:
Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.

Man I can't see any way Drew isn't a saint next year.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 pm
Site Admin

Teddy Bridgewater 'definitely' sees himself as starter

Quote:
The back-from-injury signal-caller told reporters Monday that he "definitely" sees himself as a starter in 2018, according to ESPN's Kevin Seifert. Bridgewater, though, acknowledged that such a role might have to happen somewhere other than Minnesota.

Bridgewater courageously returned this season from a devastating knee injury that wiped out his 2016 campaign. The former starter was essentially demoted during the playoffs, though, floating in the abyss behind Keenum and Bradford and calling the experience a "test of my character."

In a perfect world, the Vikings would keep Bridgewater around to compete with Keenum for the starting role. Not an easy solution, however, when both players see themselves as leading men.

It boils down to how this coaching staff feels about Keenum as a long-term answer at the most important position in sports. He played out of his mind all season and deserves to be seen for his entire body of work -- not just Sunday's implosion.

As for Bridgewater, if his time is up in Minnesota, he'll quickly find employment elsewhere. He's 25 years old with plenty of solid game tape under his belt. If the Vikings don't want him, someone else will.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:

They're not going to make any decisions on a QB until they know what is available externally.

McKinnon made the statement he wants a bigger role next year he is going to look around.

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:

They're not going to make any decisions on a QB until they know what is available externally.

McKinnon made the statement he wants a bigger role next year he is going to look around.

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings

With Cook back, we would have no need for Mckinnon.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 pm
Site Admin

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
With Cook back, we would have no need for Mckinnon.

I'm no more confident in Cook's ability to come back from a severe knee injury than I am Teddy's. You never know what a player will look like after a knee injury.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm
Hall of Famer

This whole quarterback situation is unsettling.

A week ago, I was convinced ... use the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

But now? Man, I just don't know. I still like the guy, but franchising him would be saying, "We believe this guy can get us to the Super Bowl." Because with this roster and having reached the NFCC game, that's the only thing left. And now I have to ask, "Is he?"

One problem for me was that I saw almost none of the second half because power went out in my neighborhood (mercifully). By the time it came back on, the game was 38-7 at the 2-minute warning. I don't know how Keenum looked the rest of the game. In the first half, I actually didn't think he was bad. He just had no protection. But there's this uneasy feeling for me with Keenum that wasn't there a month ago. Is "not bad" what you want in the championship game?

The Vikings have gone from having a pretty good quarterback situation to a nearly impossible one. I have to believe Bradford is gone. So if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Zimmer wants an open competition between Teddy and Case. But how do you do that? Who do you pay? How much?

This is not a fun time for Rick Spielman.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

But now? Man, I just don't know. I still like the guy, but franchising him would be saying, "We believe this guy can get us to the Super Bowl." Because with this roster and having reached the NFCC game, that's the only thing left. And now I have to ask, "Is he?"

One problem for me was that I saw almost none of the second half because power went out in my neighborhood (mercifully). By the time it came back on, the game was 38-7 at the 2-minute warning. I don't know how Keenum looked the rest of the game. In the first half, I actually didn't think he was bad. He just had no protection. But there's this uneasy feeling for me with Keenum that wasn't there a month ago. Is "not bad" what you want in the championship game?

The Vikings have gone from having a pretty good quarterback situation to a nearly impossible one. I have to believe Bradford is gone. So if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Zimmer wants an open competition between Teddy and Case. But how do you do that? Who do you pay? How much?

I had mercy on myself and turned the game off for a bit in the 2nd half to go do chores. The devil in me turned it back on, only to see him throw his last pick. I also saw him overthrow both Diggs and (even worse throw) Thielen on really easy routes. In short: he looked bad.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I had mercy on myself and turned the game off for a bit in the 2nd half to go do chores. The devil in me turned it back on, only to see him throw his last pick. I also saw him overthrow both Diggs and (even worse throw) Thielen on really easy routes. In short: he looked bad.

My wife (when the power went out): "Do you want to go to a bar and watch the second half?

Me: "Um, do you really think I want to PAY to see this?"

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm
Hall of Famer

WadeWilson wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Raz wrote:
Something changed down the stretch and in the playoffs case got more conservative less mobile or something the big or explosive or lucky plays went down. Personally I think it was the coaches pulling it in
I agree. The coaches got scared. You could see it in the Chicago game. It was a totally different offense. They lost their aggression. I think Shurmur let his new fame go to his head.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The offense looked like Shurmur had already checked out and left town. I predict he will fail in New York.

Look a Philly’s play calling in this game. That was a clinic and it made Shurmur look like an amateur.

I hope Darrell Bevell stays away. Want no part of that mess again.

I hear Chili is available. :rofl:

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:26 pm
Fenrir

halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h

I don't think he can stand up physically to being a featured back but can understand him wanting that. And the unlikelihood of getting it here.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

@Kapp
:lol:

It wasn't worth watching even for free. So disappointing. I can only imagine how it felt for the fans that flew up to Philly.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm
Transition Player

S197 wrote:
I don't think he can stand up physically to being a featured back but can understand him wanting that. And the unlikelihood of getting it here.

Agree, I think Cook and Murray will be a dynamic combination. I know our intent was to use Cook almost exclusively this year, but I wouldn't mind him splitting 75/25 with Murray. I think they have complimentary styles. As much as I love Jerrick, I don't think he can offer much that is complimentary to Cook.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I think the Vikings' intentions and likely off season actions at QB are evident in a few things they did in the playoffs: 1) Bradford was the backup, not Teddy 2) Keenum played the whole Eagles' game, despite the fact that we needed to score lots of points in a short amount of time and despite Zimmer's having cited that as a rationale for having Sam be the backup.

My conclusion? Case will be our guy, unless they (somehow) feel confident that Bradford's knee can hold up. Teddy, if he's signed, will only be considered in a backup role until he proves he's ready.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am
Hall of Famer

Kirk Cousins might be the best bet for us. I wouldn't mind Alex Smith.

I personally don't think it would be wise to franchise Keenum. No way we franchise Bradford or Teddy.

I want Teddy to stay, but if he goes I will understand it.

Hopefully the team looks into drafting a QB in the draft. I am a big proponent of taking a QB every year - it is simply smart with the way the NFL is now.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am
Transition Player

I loved Keenum this year, but I'm very leary of committing long term to him. He may be finally hitting his stride, but he could also be a one-hit wonder. I think Shurmur had an awful lot to do with his success this year, and now he's gone. It's hard to predict how he'll fit into the scheme of a new OC. I think the franchise tag would be too much, but honestly, I'd much rather them do that than to commit long term at this point. He knows his value is at an all-time high. I highly doubt he'll settle for incentive laden contract to stay here. I wouldn't blame him either.

Personally, I think I would rather go after Cousins, who at least has a solid history of producing. I think he would be great match with our defense. He's got a bit of the gunslinger mentally, but his arm is stronger than Keenum. His price tag will be very high though.

Alex Smith is actually a good option for us too. He has a really strong arm too. Much less of a gunslinger, but I think he is hampered by Andy Reid's conservative offense. It drives me nuts the way Reid coaches. I think his price would be better than Cousins with not much of a difference in production.

Brees is a pipe-dream, but he would be incredible here. Huge price tag, but probably worth it short-term. He would be my first choice if I had one :)

Sadly, one guy that I think would be great, but we can't trust him, is Bradford. He is a such a talent, but you simply can't trust him to stay on the field. In my opinion he would have surpassed Keenum this year if he played.

Bridgewater... this is a very tough one. I really wanted to see what he could do, but I think the Vikings activating Bradford for the playoffs spoke a lot about where the coaches saw him. Yes, it changes next year. If we can somehow keep him and have him compete for the job in camp, I think it would be great. I suspect he'll get a offer from some QB desperate team with a clear chance to start.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

There is a lot of unknown, but here are my random thoughts?

If you are going to gamble on a QB with a bad knee why would you gamble on Teddy if Bradford is also available? Based on onfield performance, Bradford is a SUPERIOR Passer, and it's not even close. (that applies to Keenum also) The trade-off is mobility, but with a completely rebuilt knee on Teddy is that gap going to be as wide? The only way I see taking Teddy here is if it is proven out that Bradford's Knee is riskier than Bridgewater's.

If Keenum is the guy then they need to find an OC that can keep his negatives in check and Keenum absolutely needs to fix his tendency to throw up 2-4 ducks a game. I love his Moxie and intangibles, but he can't give away short fields and points in the playoffs like he did this year.

Even if TB is 100% recovered, the next question is efficacy. Keenum had a huge season. TB's best numbers are still 14 TD / 9 INT. Why would you on 14/9 when Keenum's 2017 is on the books?

Obviously, contract negotiations and what not will play into this.

My main hope in this is that the coaching staff has done a very thorough job of evaluating these guys. This decision can't be overstated in it's importance.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next