Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 am

mosscarter wrote:Statistics are just statistics and in the end, can be bent to support whatever narrative a person wants. How else do you explain our defense this year? How, statistically speaking, would the number 1 ranked defense give up 38 unanswered points? Teddy Bridgewaters number not only suck, but he sucks overall as well. He has a weak arm, mild mobility, and now coming off a severe knee injury? He is clearly the worst choice of the three, and I honestly hope he is not in a Vikings uniform next year. If he is, oh well there is obviously nothing I can do about it but don't compare him to a Cousins or Bradford. I mean, at least least get serious with that. He threw for what was it, 18 or 19 TD's with a 1,500 yard runner in the backfield. I could put up those type of numbers, its pathetic.
Not even. It was 14 TDs
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:50 am

ocampo82 wrote:
mosscarter wrote:Statistics are just statistics and in the end, can be bent to support whatever narrative a person wants. How else do you explain our defense this year? How, statistically speaking, would the number 1 ranked defense give up 38 unanswered points? Teddy Bridgewaters number not only suck, but he sucks overall as well. He has a weak arm, mild mobility, and now coming off a severe knee injury? He is clearly the worst choice of the three, and I honestly hope he is not in a Vikings uniform next year. If he is, oh well there is obviously nothing I can do about it but don't compare him to a Cousins or Bradford. I mean, at least least get serious with that. He threw for what was it, 18 or 19 TD's with a 1,500 yard runner in the backfield. I could put up those type of numbers, its pathetic.

It is a matter of perference/opinion, of course, but I think the same about Keenum "...weak arm, mild mobility..." and the other option--Bradford--coming off another knee injury. I would like to clean the deck of these three, but if Cousins isnt coming I say we pick which ever comes cheapest as they are all significantly flawed.

If that is Teddy, fine. When he played the team rallied around him more so than any Viking QB...since Farve? Sure his body of work is small, but in context he played with an offense in flux (Norv, AD, bad o-line) whereas Bradford and Keenum had some continutity with Shurmur, a solid 2017 oline, solid weapons.

I didn't look up the stats, but from memory the main knock I had with Teddy is the offense wasn't good in the red zone. With new coaching, personnel I hope that would be better if he is the QB.
I think this team rallied around Case more than anyone. Either way, everyone says, well if he has Diggs, AT, Cook, etc he would be good. That is a gigantic IF.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3255
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Next years QB

Post by Raptorman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:13 pm

So here's a thought. It's so far out there that most will dismiss it. What if after FA one of the top draft prospects below falls to 30 for some reason. Do the Vikings take him or pass?

Josh Rosen
Baker Mayfield
Josh Allen
Sam Darnold
Lamar Jackson
0 x
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3536
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Next years QB

Post by 808vikingsfan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Well, looks like the theory of Cousins going to Jacksonville (vs Minnesota) due to no taxes is mute.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
The #Jaguars and QB Blake Bortles are finalizing a multi-year extension that keeps him in Jacksonville for years to come, sources say. It’s essentially done and should be official tonight.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
ocampo82
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

Re: Next years QB

Post by ocampo82 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:Well, looks like the theory of Cousins going to Jacksonville (vs Minnesota) due to no taxes is mute.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
The #Jaguars and QB Blake Bortles are finalizing a multi-year extension that keeps him in Jacksonville for years to come, sources say. It’s essentially done and should be official tonight.

That deal has to be what Keenum is asking for, if not more.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18735
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Next years QB

Post by PurpleMustReign » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:30 am

ocampo82 wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:Well, looks like the theory of Cousins going to Jacksonville (vs Minnesota) due to no taxes is mute.
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Follow Follow @RapSheet
More
The #Jaguars and QB Blake Bortles are finalizing a multi-year extension that keeps him in Jacksonville for years to come, sources say. It’s essentially done and should be official tonight.

That deal has to be what Keenum is asking for, if not more.
Yhat would be a deal o would be ok with for Keenum too. It's not even 20 mill /year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Next years QB

Post by TSonn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Here's a fun hypothetical question:

If the health of both QBs were guaranteed for the next 3 years, would you choose Sam Bradford or Kirk Cousins to lead the Vikings? (I left out Bridgewater because I think most on this forum wouldn't choose him in this scenario)

I ask that because I think a lot of people have written off Bradford as our 2018 QB (and beyond), but I still think he's the favorite. The main reason is they've put more assets into Bradford than Bridgewater (1st and a 4th for Sam, 2nd and 4th for Teddy), when both Bradford and Bridgewater were healthy with the Superbowl within reach - the team chose Bradford, AND he would most likely come at half the cost of Cousins. We haven't heard much about his knee injury all year, so maybe the Vikings doctors believe it was a fluke and he will be back at his 2016 status for the foreseeable future.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18735
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN

Re: Next years QB

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

TSonn wrote:Here's a fun hypothetical question:

If the health of both QBs were guaranteed for the next 3 years, would you choose Sam Bradford or Kirk Cousins to lead the Vikings? (I left out Bridgewater because I think most on this forum wouldn't choose him in this scenario)

I ask that because I think a lot of people have written off Bradford as our 2018 QB (and beyond), but I still think he's the favorite. The main reason is they've put more assets into Bradford than Bridgewater (1st and a 4th for Sam, 2nd and 4th for Teddy), when both Bradford and Bridgewater were healthy with the Superbowl within reach - the team chose Bradford, AND he would most likely come at half the cost of Cousins. We haven't heard much about his knee injury all year, so maybe the Vikings doctors believe it was a fluke and he will be back at his 2016 status for the foreseeable future.
Bradford and it isn't close.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
TSonn wrote:Here's a fun hypothetical question:

If the health of both QBs were guaranteed for the next 3 years, would you choose Sam Bradford or Kirk Cousins to lead the Vikings? (I left out Bridgewater because I think most on this forum wouldn't choose him in this scenario)

I ask that because I think a lot of people have written off Bradford as our 2018 QB (and beyond), but I still think he's the favorite. The main reason is they've put more assets into Bradford than Bridgewater (1st and a 4th for Sam, 2nd and 4th for Teddy), when both Bradford and Bridgewater were healthy with the Superbowl within reach - the team chose Bradford, AND he would most likely come at half the cost of Cousins. We haven't heard much about his knee injury all year, so maybe the Vikings doctors believe it was a fluke and he will be back at his 2016 status for the foreseeable future.
Bradford and it isn't close.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I wouldnt say it isnt close. It's definitely close. But if I knew Sam Bradford would be healthy all 3 years, I'd probably pick him. IMO, he's an elite passer in this league. Just has been so on and off with injuries that its hard to show case it. However, Cousins has some more mobility than Bradford does. It's a tough call. Good question
0 x
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Via Rotoworld
According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins "certainly" have mutual interest.

Brandt went as far as to predict Cousins would indeed end up with the Vikings, even as the Broncos and Jets are viewed as his likeliest suitors. Minnesota has the NFL's ninth-most salary cap space and can offer Cousins a chance to win Super Bowls right away. Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford are all free agents. "Kyle Sloter" is the Vikings' only QB under contract for 2018.
AND....
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings are not expected to place the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

Interestingly, this report comes just hours after NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins have mutual interest. Of course, the Vikings could still bring back Keenum on a long-term deal, but it looks like they are leaving their options open heading into free agency. Minnesota has around $55 million in cap space.
Pretty interesting but I feel like this is the smart approach. You HAVE to see what Kirk Cousins would take from us. Gotta be ballsy here. We have plenty of options and many QBs would want to be here because our team is loaded. So we can use that to our advantage.
0 x
Image

User avatar
ocampo82
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

Re: Next years QB

Post by ocampo82 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Via Rotoworld
According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins "certainly" have mutual interest.

Brandt went as far as to predict Cousins would indeed end up with the Vikings, even as the Broncos and Jets are viewed as his likeliest suitors. Minnesota has the NFL's ninth-most salary cap space and can offer Cousins a chance to win Super Bowls right away. Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford are all free agents. "Kyle Sloter" is the Vikings' only QB under contract for 2018.
AND....
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings are not expected to place the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

Interestingly, this report comes just hours after NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins have mutual interest. Of course, the Vikings could still bring back Keenum on a long-term deal, but it looks like they are leaving their options open heading into free agency. Minnesota has around $55 million in cap space.
Pretty interesting but I feel like this is the smart approach. You HAVE to see what Kirk Cousins would take from us. Gotta be ballsy here. We have plenty of options and many QBs would want to be here because our team is loaded. So we can use that to our advantage.
The addition Deflippo, I would assume, has to be enticing as well. I am glad the report about Keenum is out--IMO I dont think he is worth 24m that the franchise tag comes with. It seems like common sense.
0 x

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Next years QB

Post by TSonn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings are not expected to place the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

Interestingly, this report comes just hours after NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins have mutual interest. Of course, the Vikings could still bring back Keenum on a long-term deal, but it looks like they are leaving their options open heading into free agency. Minnesota has around $55 million in cap space.
Pretty interesting but I feel like this is the smart approach. You HAVE to see what Kirk Cousins would take from us. Gotta be ballsy here. We have plenty of options and many QBs would want to be here because our team is loaded. So we can use that to our advantage.
I agree. I think it's going to come down to something like this...

If any of Bradford/Keenum/Bridgewater will take less than 15mil/year - you go with that guy.
If those three all want 20mil/year and we can get Cousins for 27mil/year - go with Cousins.

Out of all of those options, I think Bradford is the most likely to take less than 15mil/year. I think teams like Cleveland or NYJ will take a flier on Bridgewater for a 2 year deal and someone like AZ or DEN would probably sign Keenum for 20mil+. Bradford already had his big pay day and he still wants to play - that shows me there's something more motivating him than money since he could easily hang it up with his injuries after already making 100mil+.

Vikes don't have to be super aggressive and do something dumb. They can play it cool for the most part and still end up with a guy they want.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5739
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

TSonn wrote:

Vikes don't have to be super aggressive and do something dumb. They can play it cool for the most part and still end up with a guy they want.
Exactly. I feel the same way
0 x
Image

User avatar
TSonn
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Next years QB

Post by TSonn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
TSonn wrote:

Vikes don't have to be super aggressive and do something dumb. They can play it cool for the most part and still end up with a guy they want.
Exactly. I feel the same way
I forgot that Teddy's contract might toll into 2018. If that's the case, then the Vikings can use him as a back-up and have a ton of flexibility and confidence for 2018. They most likely won't make any moves until they hear back from the league on Teddy's contract situation.
0 x

A.D_blazing
Transition Player
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: Next years QB

Post by A.D_blazing » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Vikings not expected to franchise tag Case Keenum
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ase-keenum

If this is true.....thank god the vikings aren't resigning CK. Keenum will always be a backup, and nothing more IMHO.
0 x