View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Next years QB 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: Next years QB
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Our road schedule is probably the toughest schedule I've seen in a long time.

Away:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Eagles
Patriots
Rams
Seahawks
Jets

The only weaker non division opponent is the Jets. We play both SB teams on the road next year. Woof!

Our home schedule is much easier

Home:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins
49ers
Saints

Much easier schedule at home. This team is really going to be tested on the road next year

I'll say. Ouch, that road schedule looks brutal.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Our road schedule is probably the toughest schedule I've seen in a long time.

Away:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Eagles
Patriots
Rams
Seahawks
Jets

The only weaker non division opponent is the Jets. We play both SB teams on the road next year. Woof!

Our home schedule is much easier

Home:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins
49ers
Saints

Much easier schedule at home. This team is really going to be tested on the road next year

I'll say. Ouch, that road schedule looks brutal.

Yeah it just sucks how that worked out. It would’ve been nice that we at least could have played a couple of those road teams at home

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pm
Practice Squad

Cousins reminds me of Cutler. Would rather spend the money on keeping the defense near the top of the league and have a qb that does not take a lot of sacks.

Generally Keenum got the ball to the right place on time which is 90% of the job. Hope we can keep a good backup too. If we cannot keep Teddy then they should try to get McCown.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 am
Waterboy

This is my first post on this site. I'm a die hard Vikings fan, the football season is over for me, don't care to even watch the Super bowl. Cousins is a free agent talent in his prime that we don't see that often. This is a no brainer that we sign him. We have a team to win the Super Bowl now. And the cap space to Sign a Talent like Cousins. we didn't keep Slotter on the roster as a 4th QB for a reason. Cousins is a QB that can win now and Slotter is a QB that we can keep as a back up to keep learning.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:10 am
Starting Wide Receiver

tstange wrote:
This is my first post on this site. I'm a die hard Vikings fan, the football season is over for me, don't care to even watch the Super bowl. Cousins is a free agent talent in his prime that we don't see that often. This is a no brainer that we sign him. We have a team to win the Super Bowl now. And the cap space to Sign a Talent like Cousins. we didn't keep Slotter on the roster as a 4th QB for a reason. Cousins is a QB that can win now and Slotter is a QB that we can keep as a back up to keep learning.
I understand that logic too, so whether they sign case or Kirk, I am ok. I just think Case could be a better option because he will likely be a lot cheaper, and I actually am past the point where I wonder when he will fall off. The only question I have is whether the system coming in will fit him or not.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

tstange wrote:
Btw, welcome, Brad. See the first name introductions thread for your official name change instructions.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

So here we go. Some numbers for you to chew on. These are taken from ESPN's stats. They show percentage of pass attempts by distance the ball is thrown the last 4-5 years. Of course Teddy's only includes two years but you get an idea of what he was doing. I also separated out what Keenum and Bradford did with the Vikings only.

Please note that these are percentages of pass attempts. BLS is behind the line of Scrimmage. Also note that 5% points is about 22-30 passes a year. For example, the difference between Bradford's BLS-10 of 74.2 to Keenum's 69.4 is about 1.7 passes a game.

Code:
                  BLS   1-10    BLS-10     11-20   21-30    31-40    41+
Brady            17.0   52.0      69.0      20.6     6.6     2.1     1.8
Brees            19.7   51.3      71.0      20.0     5.6     2.5      .9
Cousins          14.7   54.9      69.6      19.6     6.9     2.3     1.6
Rodgers          20.3   47.3      67.6      21.6     6.6     2.7     1.4
Keenum           19.2   50.3      69.4      19.4     6.6     2.7     1.8
Bridgewater      22.6   49.6      72.2      17.6     5.9     2.6     1.7
Bradford         21.2   53.0      74.2      17.4     5.7     1.9      .8

With Vikings                     
Keenum           22.3   45.8      68.1      21.7     6.9     1.1     2.2
Bradford         20.8   54.6      75.4      16.4     6.0     2.1       0

So, when someone wants to say that a QB is a dink and dunk QB exactly what are they talking about? I can tell you that if you do this for just about any QB in the league the numbers will all be within about 5 percentage points. In other words, a dink and dunk QB may be throwing one or two more passes behind the 10 yard line a game.
That's about all.

I would also like to point out something about Bridgewater. His top WR's his first year. Patterson, Jennings, Wright and Charles Johnson. His second year, Diggs, Patterson, Wright, Wallace, and Johnson. Those two years Thielen had 31 total targets.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 pm
Hall of Famer

Thats the toughest road game schedule Ive ever seen or remember for the Vikings. And our first draft pick is #30. I hope Rick and his scouts are working overtime to make up for that god awful Bradford trade. Maybe a little less gambling on Ricks part, and instead of the super athletic players both Rick and Zim seem to like, we find the solid position players, especially the DT we need next to Linval, one of out best players, but he is getting old. Together a great tandem them will crush the running game, and maybe get some sacks. Hunter seems mostly invisible as did Griffin. Other then that batted ball when he was facing the wrong way to block the ball.

As far as QB's, I sometimes think im one of the few realists. Cousin will in no way, come cheap enough so we can keep our D strong over the next few years. I also think it will affect the Oline a lot. Cousins wants to be a 26+ millionaire for years to come. Maybe 30+ every year he is here. If its a few million a year difference between teams, he will chose the Vikes I think. But then who do we get as his backup when we have already spent so much on 1 position. No one has any idea on Slotter, if I were to guess, I would say the Vikings know very little about him. The Vikings are usually happy if they have a starter they think is good.

I dont even want to talk about Sam, because any sane GM would get rid of him right away. Wasnt worth the risk the first time around, certainly isnt worth it with another injury having him ride the pine.

Teddy is somewhat interesting. No one knows what he has. The usual haters have come out and said their piece, but think about it. Teddy didnt even get as much as Ponder did, and their were Ponder apologist's that thought Ponder might have something. But still think Ponder was keeping around. I personally do think Teddy will demand half of what even Case will want. And that may be worth looking into. I think we improve this line, and Cook is going to take pressure off of whatever QB we end up.

So Cousin and Case would be my target if I were Rick. But let Case know after only 1 good year, he wont be getting a huge contract. And let Cousins know he may get a slightly larger payday, but not one that has a better O, and a better D.

Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I say forget about our so called "number one" defense and go all in on Cousins. I'm sorry to break this to you, but a number one defense does not give up 38 unanswered points. What a disgrace.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:13 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

The Skins might Franchise Tag Cousins?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2231 ... rk-cousins

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 am
Site Admin

If they do I hope they can't find a trade partner and have to pay both QBs lol

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 am
Backup

mosscarter wrote:
I say forget about our so called "number one" defense and go all in on Cousins. I'm sorry to break this to you, but a number one defense does not give up 38 unanswered points. What a disgrace.

well the 'unanswered' part is on the offense, but I agree in this game we need a QB that can put up points and sustain drives.

I think we got by most of the season on defensive coverage--we didnt get as many sacks as you would think a top defense would, and that seemed to affect how many turnovers we created--didnt seem like many considering we are suppose to be a top defense. I think after QB we should address getting pressure on the opposing QB.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

If the Redskins tagged Cousins and he signed the tag and the Redskins couldn't find a trade partner then they would be on the hooked for a 1-year $35 million salary. That's far too risky.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am
Backup

720pete wrote:
If the Redskins tagged Cousins and he signed the tag and the Redskins couldn't find a trade partner then they would be on the hooked for a 1-year $35 million salary. That's far too risky.

This would be a great way to end this story though :lol:

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:

That would be the dumbest thing for a franchise to do since the Herschel Walker trade.

He’ll sign the tender (at $34 million, who wouldn’t?) and Washington will be try to trade him, but they’ll have zero leverage. If they can’t find a taker, they’ll have $58 million devoted to two players, only one of which can play.

Key word in Schefter’s reporting: Consider. They’ll consider it, but they’d be stupid to do it.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

That would be the dumbest thing for a franchise to do since the Herschel Walker trade.

He’ll sign the tender (at $34 million, who wouldn’t?) and Washington will be try to trade him, but they’ll have zero leverage. If they can’t find a taker, they’ll have $58 million devoted to two players, only one of which can play.

Key word in Schefter’s reporting: Consider. They’ll consider it, but they’d be stupid to do it.

IF they are dumb enough to tag him, he should run as fast as he can and sign it. He has zero reason to come to a long term deal for a trade.

Edit. Actually, the more I think about it the better it would be for Cousins not to sign the tag. Then the Skins would be on the hook for the money for cap reasons and Cousins has all the control. Skins then would have to cut people to complete the trade with KC because they would not have the cap space for both QB's.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 am
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Thats the toughest road game schedule Ive ever seen or remember for the Vikings. And our first draft pick is #30. I hope Rick and his scouts are working overtime to make up for that god awful Bradford trade. Maybe a little less gambling on Ricks part, and instead of the super athletic players both Rick and Zim seem to like, we find the solid position players, especially the DT we need next to Linval, one of out best players, but he is getting old. Together a great tandem them will crush the running game, and maybe get some sacks. Hunter seems mostly invisible as did Griffin. Other then that batted ball when he was facing the wrong way to block the ball.

As far as QB's, I sometimes think im one of the few realists. Cousin will in no way, come cheap enough so we can keep our D strong over the next few years. I also think it will affect the Oline a lot. Cousins wants to be a 26+ millionaire for years to come. Maybe 30+ every year he is here. If its a few million a year difference between teams, he will chose the Vikes I think. But then who do we get as his backup when we have already spent so much on 1 position. No one has any idea on Slotter, if I were to guess, I would say the Vikings know very little about him. The Vikings are usually happy if they have a starter they think is good.

I dont even want to talk about Sam, because any sane GM would get rid of him right away. Wasnt worth the risk the first time around, certainly isnt worth it with another injury having him ride the pine.

Teddy is somewhat interesting. No one knows what he has. The usual haters have come out and said their piece, but think about it. Teddy didnt even get as much as Ponder did, and their were Ponder apologist's that thought Ponder might have something. But still think Ponder was keeping around. I personally do think Teddy will demand half of what even Case will want. And that may be worth looking into. I think we improve this line, and Cook is going to take pressure off of whatever QB we end up.

So Cousin and Case would be my target if I were Rick. But let Case know after only 1 good year, he wont be getting a huge contract. And let Cousins know he may get a slightly larger payday, but not one that has a better O, and a better D.

If the Viks know very little about Slotter then why did they protect him like they did? Seems to me they put a lot of effort into keeping other teams away from grabbing him. Guess we'll see

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

autobon7 wrote:

If the Viks know very little about Slotter then why did they protect him like they did? Seems to me they put a lot of effort into keeping other teams away from grabbing him. Guess we'll see

I think we've had practice squad QBs snpied before by other teams. Can't remember off the top of my head but wasn't Tyler Thigpen one? Taylor Heinecke?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:25 pm
Hall of Famer

Maybe we should be going after Nick Foles. Yikes.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 pm
Transition Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Maybe we should be going after Nick Foles. Yikes.

I always thought Foles was a decent QB. He can sling the ball real good and having that killer run game made it easy for him.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 pm
Hall of Famer

Two things:

- No way the Skins tag Cousins. The only reason they'd consider doing that is to gain leverage to trade him for draft picks, but I don't see any team giving up picks for him on a one-year deal like that, and the risk to the Redskins is huge in that scenario. They'd already have paid in picks to bring Smith on board and have signed him to an extended contract, and then mixing that situation up with Cousins, even if as a result of a blatant attempt to try to wring value out of him with no intent to play him, would be an unprecedented disaster in terms of their cap and team chemistry. They've already mucked around with Cousin's career to this point, and doing this to him given no intent to really play (or pay) him would not sit well with a lot of players on that team I would guess. But if they do pull the trigger and tag him, no way would I want the Vikings to get involved in that hostage situation. Cousins is good and worth a big contract if he hits the open market, but only if he hits the open market. If the Redskins want to play reindeer games, Vikings should sit those out.

- Nick Foles has been unreal the last few games, but, it was the last few games. If I have reservations about Case Keenum based on his recent performances, I would have triple those on a guy like Foles. If I had any confidence he could maintain that level of play over the course of a season, yeah, I'd want the Vikings in on any action that might bring him to Minnesota. I just don't have confidence he can maintain that level of play. Of course, I didn't expect him to play as well in the Superbowl as he did against the Vikings, and while he didn't quite match that level today, he came dang close and threw some really nice balls. So I'd be hesitant to make a move for him, especially after the Vikings already gave Philly a 1st and what will be a 3rd to get Bradford from them. But I do like Foles. He was calm under pressure, saw the field well, made good decisions with the ball, and threw some more incredible passes that only his guys could track down. There is no doubt Philly will go back to Wentz to start next year, and Foles will have serious trade value this offseason. It's something a team like the Vikings could benefit from, or it could burn them badly.

What a situation Spielman finds himself in this offseason at QB. Make the right move and the Vikes are legit Superbowl contenders, and possibly even favorites, heading into next season, tough schedule and all. Make the wrong decision, and an otherwise promising season could be jeopardized. That's why Spielman makes the big bucks, but I feel this decision will make or break him as GM of the Vikings.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 pm
Fenrir

720pete wrote:
autobon7 wrote:

I think we've had practice squad QBs snpied before by other teams. Can't remember off the top of my head but wasn't Tyler Thigpen one? Taylor Heinecke?

Thigpen was snagged before making the PS. Heinicke I think made the PS but was replaced by Slotter.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am
Rookie

it has to be Foles

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 am
Practice Squad

I apologize if this has already been asked, but if Rick/Zim decide to go after Cousins, would it be possible for the Vikes to franchise Case then trade him for assets? Or are there stipulations about trading someone who has just been franchised and/or would that mess up their available salary cap?

Thanks guys

Skol

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:37 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

sotapopinski wrote:
I apologize if this has already been asked, but if Rick/Zim decide to go after Cousins, would it be possible for the Vikes to franchise Case then trade him for assets? Or are there stipulations about trading someone who has just been franchised and/or would that mess up their available salary cap?

Thanks guys

Skol

Technically. Franchising someone is supposed to be about doing a long term deal with them. However, teams seem to abuse that at whim.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 pm
Backup

I haven't seen anything out of Teddy to make me feel he's the man of the future. But let's be honest, none of us have. When he played we didn't have the weapons or the line we have now. I almost feel it hasn't been a fair evaluation. But it's definitely one of those things where SB windows can close quickly. We can't really afford to "try him out" when there are really strong options out there.

I don't follow all the other teams as much anymore, so I defer to you guys who do. It sounds to me like Cousins may be the more proven QB if he's available.

Keenum was great. But I also haven't seen enough consistency out of him to say he's the guy. I love what he's done and believe he needed to play it out this year but I just not super convinced. I just know we need to move on from Bradford and Teddy. Unless Teddy wants to sit as backup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm
Backup

germannorseman wrote:
I haven't seen anything out of Teddy to make me feel he's the man of the future. But let's be honest, none of us have. When he played we didn't have the weapons or the line we have now. I almost feel it hasn't been a fair evaluation. But it's definitely one of those things where SB windows can close quickly. We can't really afford to "try him out" when there are really strong options out there.

I don't follow all the other teams as much anymore, so I defer to you guys who do. It sounds to me like Cousins may be the more proven QB if he's available.

Keenum was great. But I also haven't seen enough consistency out of him to say he's the guy. I love what he's done and believe he needed to play it out this year but I just not super convinced. I just know we need to move on from Bradford and Teddy. Unless Teddy wants to sit as backup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I hope they move on from all 3--they all seem like great people, but Bradford is not reliable and Case and Teddy seem limited throwing the ball down the field. It might not be accurate, but from what I can recall the offense was bad with Teddy in the redzone.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Transition Player

sotapopinski wrote:

Thanks guys

Skol

I don't think there is anything from stopping a team from franchising and then trading. It's just a VERY risky approach since you would have 2 starting QBs on your roster with very high salaries. If you don't find a trading partner for 1 of them, you are stuck with them eating up your salary cap.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I hate many of the moves/draft picks Spielman as made but I won't second guess the Bradford move it was the right move just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong move with the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say.

That Bradford move showed the Vikes they think they are an experienced QB away from a SB.
They will make a move for an experienced QB again:
I would look at Cousins and Foles and maybe Case if they think the year was not a fluke - Bradford is injury prone and Teddy is overrated

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

tzinc wrote:
I hate many of the moves/draft picks Spielman as made but I won't second guess the Bradford move it was the right move just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong move with the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say.

That Bradford move showed the Vikes they think they are an experienced QB away from a SB.
They will make a move for an experienced QB again:
I would look at Cousins and Foles and maybe Case if they think the year was not a fluke - Bradford is injury prone and Teddy is overrated

Agreed 100%. And still, Bradford wasnt the problem in 2016. So it's hard to fault Spielman regarding that move. If I was him I probably would have made it too. Instead of letting our season rot because we had no other option.

As for what QBs to look at, Foles could be just as much of a fluke as Case. I really dont trust Foles anymore than I do Keenum.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next