Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Next years QB

Post by S197 »

Ovechkin8 wrote:Ummmm...ok...your rebuttal is exactly full of opinions brother! haha

Also "this past season" is terrible to use. Why not use the last 3 seasons? I will tell you why...that poster wouldn't be able to make his point. When kirk actually had a capable offense (not great) around him he was outstanding in all respects. Last season was an aberration due to Ryan Grant and Josh Doctson being our outside receivers and crap for RBs once Thompson went down (Jordan Reed basically didn't play the entire year). Lets not talk about the O line....

RE: Bradford vs Cousins

I read the article and it wasn't anything earth shattering. "Bradford can be good if he doesn't get injured" is basically the sum of it.

Cousins career QB rating is 93.7 averaging 257 yards per game with 99-55 TD/INT over 63 games and trending up.

Bradford QB rating is 85.1 averaging 238 yards per game with 101-57 TD/INT over 80 games and he carries significant injury risk where Cousins hasn't been injured since high school.

Bradford is a lower event QB who doesn't take as many chances and gets injured every year.
FWIW I think Alex Smith will pan out well for you, I was an early champion of him coming to Minnesota. My brother is a Chiefs fan so the only team I've seen in person more than the Vikings is the Chiefs and I think Smith is seriously underrated. His deep ball is deadly, just find weapons that can get down the field and he'll be productive.
Ovechkin8
Practice Squad

Post by Ovechkin8 »

S197 wrote:
FWIW I think Alex Smith will pan out well for you, I was an early champion of him coming to Minnesota. My brother is a Chiefs fan so the only team I've seen in person more than the Vikings is the Chiefs and I think Smith is seriously underrated. His deep ball is deadly, just find weapons that can get down the field and he'll be productive.
Smith is OK. Guys like Cooley (pretty much every other knowledgable guy who covers the Skins) think its an adequate replacement but definitely a step down.

On thing about Cousins...His career sack rate is 4.8%....it was lower prior to this past year when we were using 3rd sting O linemen. This past year his sack rate was a career high 7.1% (by a lot! aberration due to mass injuries to Oline)

For reference Alex Smith's CAREER sack rate is 7.8%

The Skins will be taking a step back. One thing they will miss is how quickly Cousins read a defense and got rid of the ball.

For reference Keenum's career rate is 5.3% (he had a low of 4.4% this past year), Bradford 6.2% and Bridgewater 8.9%(!!!)
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Ovechkin8 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
Rock45 wrote:Interesting article here.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/ ... ble-choice
IMO, if Bradford doesn't have his injury history he is a top 5 QB in the NFL. He is truly an elite passer both in terms of strength and accuracy. The only guy in the deep game that I've seen in his class is Rogers.

Sadly, it is all for naught. His knee is very likely going to keep him from realizing his potential. We must all remember that he didn't get hit in 2017, his knee just crapped out on him.

Could there be a single season of magnificence left in his career? Maybe... But can you gamble on it? Probably not.

I've said this all year, but I really feel bad for Sam. You can tell he puts the time in and has the right "stuff". His body just won't let him put it all together. What a shame.

Have to disagree about Bradford. Cooley did several film breakdowns of the guy since we played him a few times in division and out (we seemed to play the Rams every year it felt like).

Set aside his injury issues but the gist was he really struggled pushing the ball down the field for most of his career.

Even when he played 15-16 games (a rarity) he never once threw for 4000 yards on any team and never more than 21 TDs. His career yards per attempt is 6.6

Cousins WORST year as a starter was last year when he threw for 4,093 yards. His lowest TD output was 25. His career yards per attempt is 7.7

Bradfords best (?) year was 2016 with you guys. That year he threw for a career high 3,877 yards. He ranked 19th in yards per attempt.

Cousins ranked 3rd that year.

Then when you throw in durability (which IS a skill...pretty much THE MOST IMPORTANT skill) and its not even close.

The injury/durability "what if" game is silly. Apply that and RGIII may still be running by teams today.
Agree 100% on Bradford. I have watched every snap of his career and he is definitely captain checkdown.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

halfgiz wrote:The Vikings offensive line, while improved, still came in at a mediocre 22nd overall - up from 29th overall the previous year.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/3/12 ... ce=twitter

Sounds like we improved but maybe not as much as we thought.
Whatever QB we end up with will need better protection.
This is the Achilles heel right now. Must protect Kirk.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.