Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Next years QB

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Jets worried Kirk Cousins might be Vikings bound
the Jets are worried he might already be destined to sign with the Vikings instead. According to a team source, they are aware of the league-wide speculation that Cousins is ticketed for Minnesota and they are taking that threat seriously after some informal, preliminary talks with his camp this week.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Jets worried Kirk Cousins might be Vikings bound
the Jets are worried he might already be destined to sign with the Vikings instead. According to a team source, they are aware of the league-wide speculation that Cousins is ticketed for Minnesota and they are taking that threat seriously after some informal, preliminary talks with his camp this week.

I wish I could fast forward to March 14 :)
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I'm really torn on this. Part of me is interested in what Cousins can do but I too am not sold that he's our 'franchise' guy. If we do sign him I'd really like to re-sign TBW at a reasonable price and then grab somebody like Mason Rudolph in the mid RD's of the draft. I think that kid could surprise!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

ocampo82 wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:Jets worried Kirk Cousins might be Vikings bound

I wish I could fast forward to March 14 :)
Hahaha. I was just about to post another article stating that the Vikings have the least chance to land Cousins.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Dakotavike wrote:I'm really torn on this. Part of me is interested in what Cousins can do but I too am not sold that he's our 'franchise' guy. If we do sign him I'd really like to re-sign TBW at a reasonable price and then grab somebody like Mason Rudolph in the mid RD's of the draft. I think that kid could surprise!
I’m a big Rudolph fan as well as Luke Falk. Could be good backups for us with some upside. I still think Kirk is definitely going to be our franchise guy. We would be surrounding him with everything he would need. Not only would he make this team better but I believe he would be a better QB with this surrounding cast
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I'm not sure how I feel about Cousins either. The main problem I have with him is the attitude and leadership questions. There were several rumors surrounding him in Washington, and I think if you are going to pay someone 30 million a year they should be a clear cut leader. That is why I'm okay with, or without him as long as its Keenum if not Cousins. Keenum exemplifies a leader and did a tremendous job this season regardless of what people might say about the Philly game. That was a complete team implosion.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Cousins either. The main problem I have with him is the attitude and leadership questions. There were several rumors surrounding him in Washington, and I think if you are going to pay someone 30 million a year they should be a clear cut leader. That is why I'm okay with, or without him as long as its Keenum if not Cousins. Keenum exemplifies a leader and did a tremendous job this season regardless of what people might say about the Philly game. That was a complete team implosion.
You change your mind every day, with every change the wind makes. WTF ever happened to your IF WE DONT GET FOLES RIGHT THIS MINUTES WE ARE GOING TO LOSE FOREVER!!!

Cousins is still a good idea if he comes at around 25 mil. Any more then that and we are paying for a much more unknown then Case or Teddy, and Cousins wins/loss record is nothing to write home about. Or his big games wins. I used to talk about how both Teddy and Case never got the benefits before of having good Olines, receivers, overall teams, and people said those were excuses. With Cousins, it proves WHY we should get him, to prove what he can do, other then have some stats. Its so frigging annoying when these people throw up some stats that validate their position, but then forget the ones that dont.

The WORST thing to do is waste another second on Bradford. He has PROVED to us, his body cant be trusted. Hes proved that to a few teams. And some of you think we should do it because hes an accurate QB? He is only accurate when he isnt in the fetal position on the ground screaming in pain AFTER the doctors cleared him. Just admit Rick made a stupid mistake and lets move on while we have a decent time.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
mosscarter wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Cousins either. The main problem I have with him is the attitude and leadership questions. There were several rumors surrounding him in Washington, and I think if you are going to pay someone 30 million a year they should be a clear cut leader. That is why I'm okay with, or without him as long as its Keenum if not Cousins. Keenum exemplifies a leader and did a tremendous job this season regardless of what people might say about the Philly game. That was a complete team implosion.
You change your mind every day, with every change the wind makes. WTF ever happened to your IF WE DONT GET FOLES RIGHT THIS MINUTES WE ARE GOING TO LOSE FOREVER!!!

Cousins is still a good idea if he comes at around 25 mil. Any more then that and we are paying for a much more unknown then Case or Teddy, and Cousins wins/loss record is nothing to write home about. Or his big games wins. I used to talk about how both Teddy and Case never got the benefits before of having good Olines, receivers, overall teams, and people said those were excuses. With Cousins, it proves WHY we should get him, to prove what he can do, other then have some stats. Its so frigging annoying when these people throw up some stats that validate their position, but then forget the ones that dont.

The WORST thing to do is waste another second on Bradford. He has PROVED to us, his body cant be trusted. Hes proved that to a few teams. And some of you think we should do it because hes an accurate QB? He is only accurate when he isnt in the fetal position on the ground screaming in pain AFTER the doctors cleared him. Just admit Rick made a stupid mistake and lets move on while we have a decent time.
I'm starting to think signing Bradford and drafting a backup or signing a backup might be the very thing that will happen. It may be the smartest thing to do.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rock45 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

I'm starting to think signing Bradford and drafting a backup or signing a backup might be the very thing that will happen. It may be the smartest thing to do.
So we’re unsure who our QB is going to be week after week, year after year? I’ll pass. Bradford is good but is a big IF. I wanna secure this position up. Not continue to play musical chairs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

NFL teams are paying quarterbacks way too much
Only four quarterbacks have ever won a Super Bowl while accounting for at least 11% of their team’s cap room: Young, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady and Eli Manning
Pretty good analysis. At 180M projected salary cap (sporttrac), 30M a year for Kirk Cousins would only be 6% of the salary cap. The question that isn't taken into consideration though, is if there is a continued decline in viewership on NFL games, will the precious upward trend in Salary cap space begin to decline.
Last edited by MrPurplenGold on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I think there's a lot of people who are freaking out over paying Cousins 25-30mil per year. And, sure, that number by itself it concerning. But you have to look at it in the context of our other options. Is 30mil per year a lot of money for Cousins? Absolutely. But the options aren't 30mil vs. 0mil for the QB position. It's most likely 30mil vs 22mil (for Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater). Unless one of our 3 guys from last year will take something under 15mil a year to play with us again, the gap between our options at QB isn't that significant.

If the gap is under 10mil a year between Cousins and the rest of our guys, my vote would be to go for Cousins because he's got two good knees and has played at a high level for longer than one year.

If the gap is over 10mil a year between Cousins and the rest of our guys, it becomes a little muddier since we'd be able to also sign a decent veteran QB as a back-up plan in case Bradford/Bridgewater goes down or Keenum was one-year wonder system QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

TSonn wrote:I think there's a lot of people who are freaking out over paying Cousins 25-30mil per year. And, sure, that number by itself it concerning. But you have to look at it in the context of our other options. Is 30mil per year a lot of money for Cousins? Absolutely. But the options aren't 30mil vs. 0mil for the QB position. It's most likely 30mil vs 22mil (for Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater). Unless one of our 3 guys from last year will take something under 15mil a year to play with us again, the gap between our options at QB isn't that significant.

If the gap is under 10mil a year between Cousins and the rest of our guys, my vote would be to go for Cousins because he's got two good knees and has played at a high level for longer than one year.

If the gap is over 10mil a year between Cousins and the rest of our guys, it becomes a little muddier since we'd be able to also sign a decent veteran QB as a back-up plan in case Bradford/Bridgewater goes down or Keenum was one-year wonder system QB.
Good post. Mark my words though, I envision us signing Cousins and I think his contract will be less than some think. No way the Vikings pay him 30. Dont be surprised if it's somewhere between 25-28. We are going to use the "Our team is loaded" pitch to him and I can see him taking less money from us.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
TSonn wrote:I think there's a lot of people who are freaking out over paying Cousins 25-30mil per year. And, sure, that number by itself it concerning. But you have to look at it in the context of our other options. Is 30mil per year a lot of money for Cousins? Absolutely. But the options aren't 30mil vs. 0mil for the QB position. It's most likely 30mil vs 22mil (for Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater). Unless one of our 3 guys from last year will take something under 15mil a year to play with us again, the gap between our options at QB isn't that significant.

Good post. Mark my words though, I envision us signing Cousins and I think his contract will be less than some think. No way the Vikings pay him 30. Dont be surprised if it's somewhere between 25-28. We are going to use the "Our team is loaded" pitch to him and I can see him taking less money from us.
Yeah, I agree. The news coming out of the Jets camp makes me think that Cousins was telling the truth about taking a lesser contract to play for a contender immediately. He's probably not going to take a Brady-like contract for us, but I could see 25mil for 5 years rather than maybe 30+ for 4 years with NY or AZ. The big question mark is if he sees Denver as an immediate contender too. I follow the Broncos and they are actually my second favorite team - I think they are a playoff team with Cousins but not necessarily a contender without a few more key moves (RB, get younger on D).
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

GUY A, 3 season AVG

4345 YDS, 28.33 TDS 11 INTS

GUY B, 3 season AVG

4392 YDS, 27.0 TDS 12 INTS

GUY C, 3 season AVG

4210 YDS, 36.33 TDS 6.667 INTS

Bradford, Keenum, and Bridgewater have zero 4k yard seasons combined.

Matt Stafford is guy A

Kirk Cousins is guy B

Aaron Rodgers is guy C

Kirk Cousins is consistently in the upper tier of Qb's with much less on offense than our Viking team right now.
If Kirk makes it to the North, expect 4800 + Yds 30+ tds and 12 + INT's

If you believe another QB that we can sign, or draft will do that for us right now you are wrong. Kirk Cousins is the perfect fit at this moment and provides us with a top 10 QB.

There have been reports written simulating Cousins making 30M and us still being able to retain key guys who some claim we might lose. Trust in Spielman, he knows how badly Zimmer wants this defense in tact and Zimmer knows what a solid QB can do for his career.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.