View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:42 pm



Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Next years QB 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm
Posts: 3795
Post Re: Next years QB
I am not for paying best in the NFL money for an above average but not elite QB.


Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:22 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: Next years QB
S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.

Everything you said could be said about Case too. And Im guessing about 10 mil a year least. Why go fast over a QB thats showed nothing at crunch time?


Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.

Everything you said could be said about Case too. And Im guessing about 10 mil a year least. Why go fast over a QB thats showed nothing at crunch time?


Already explained along with a question that you refuse to answer

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1794
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: Next years QB
dead_poet wrote:
TSonn wrote:
S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.


I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.


My worry, as some have expressed, is his moderately better numbers compared to Case at a likely grossly higher salary. His performance under pressure is also cause for concern. He's not 5x or whatever better than Case and worse in some categories. I'd rather keep the TEAM together that would be better as a unit than a minor upgrade at QB at the expense of other positions.


I'd be more inclined to want Keenum back if we still had Shurmur as the OC. The team is already not going to be the same because the main leader on offense is gone. With the way Bradford played under Shurmur and then Keenum, I think Shurmur had more to do with Keenum's year than Keenum himself. Keenum could easily slip back to his "journeyman" ways under DeFilippo. The fact that Spielman didn't jump at the opportunity to sign or tag our QB who got us to 13-3 speaks volumes of what the leadership really thinks of him. He had a magical year and I sure was rooting for him every minute of every game - but I think there's more evidence that he's not really the guy who put up MVP numbers especially considering we've already lost Shurmur.

Plus, "likely grossly higher salary" doesn't mean much until we know what all the QBs want/get. Sure, it would be a mistake if we could get Keenum for 10m/year but instead sign Cousins for 30+, but my guess is Keenum will get offers of low 20s while Cousins will get high 20s. Would that "grossly higher"? I don't know - probably not for a guy who's been good for longer than one season and who's been healthy his whole career.


Last edited by TSonn on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:40 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1794
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: Next years QB
MrPurplenGold wrote:
I am not for paying best in the NFL money for an above average but not elite QB.


Well VMB, looks like Mr. Wilf has spoken! Or do you mean like you aren't going to go to games if Cousins is our QB? Or are you playing hypothetical and saying if you were the owner of the Vikings, you wouldn't sign Cousins?


Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: Next years QB
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.

Everything you said could be said about Case too. And Im guessing about 10 mil a year least. Why go fast over a QB thats showed nothing at crunch time?


Already explained along with a question that you refuse to answer

If you already explained it and I refuse to to answer (which i rarely do, maybe not the way you wanted it answered though). You use certain stats, or points, yo justify who ever you want at the time. But it means nothing to the rest of us who have opinions too. Like why should Cousins be the highest paid QB when he has done squat as far as wins. Wins take you to the SB and allows you to win it. Along with good leadership skills. Over paying someone isnt going to get the job done.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:53 am
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: Next years QB
TSonn wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:
I am not for paying best in the NFL money for an above average but not elite QB.


Well VMB, looks like Mr. Wilf has spoken! Or do you mean like you aren't going to go to games if Cousins is our QB? Or are you playing hypothetical and saying if you were the owner of the Vikings, you wouldn't sign Cousins?

I doubt he meant he is taking out his checkbook and paying some salaries. It sounds to me he doesnt want to put 30 mil on a QB who hasnt proved anything other then he has to have an excellent team around him to many start putting some meaningful games together, instead of elevated the team its. Much like our backup QB did last season.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:57 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
If you already explained it and I refuse to to answer (which i rarely do, maybe not the way you wanted it answered though). You use certain stats, or points, yo justify who ever you want at the time. But it means nothing to the rest of us who have opinions too. Like why should Cousins be the highest paid QB when he has done squat as far as wins. Wins take you to the SB and allows you to win it. Along with good leadership skills. Over paying someone isnt going to get the job done.


No, you didnt answer my question in any way possible. I asked you if you would take Matt Stafford or Derek Carr on this team for big money? And you've yet to answer.


As for "big wins", he beat the Rams and Seattle this year BOTH on the road. In 2016, he beat the Giants (11-5 that year) on the road, the Eagles both times (even though they werent as good that year), and DEMOLISHED the Packers. Also, beat us if that carries any weight. Those arent "big wins"? If they arent then what do you define as "big wins"? Talk about using statistics that only benefit your argument. Even though saying that actually doesnt.

Also, how can you have a plethora of big wins when your defense is giving up the 28th most points in the NFL. Kirk Cousins absolutely shredded the Saints this year (on the road), threw 3 TDs, no INTs and put up 31 points. But lost. His defense gave up 34 points. That's on Kirk Cousins? Like I said, anti-Cousins fans continue to leave out the defensive aspect of all this time and time again. But "hey lets pay Case Keenum because he will be cheaper and got us to the NFCC!!!" Case Keenum played well and is my #2 option dont get me wrong but you know just as well as I do that he had a 10 times better TEAM around him than Cousins did. If Case Keenum of all QBs can succeed on a team like this, why cant Kirk Cousins? Answer me that.

What is Cousins suppose to do, win a SB with the 28th ranked defense in the NFL? Name me the last time a "bad defense" outside of the Brady/Belichik combo, won a SB. Or even made it there for that matter. AARON RODGERS cant even get there or win one anymore because his defense is so bad. Are we going to question him too?

As for making him the highest paid QB, you know how it goes (I would hope). This happens every year. It was Stafford. It was Flacco. It was Rodgers. It was Carr. It was Luck. It was Garoppolo. It will be Cousins. It will be Rodgers shortly after Cousins. It changes every year because the salary cap continues to rise. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL after the SB. He is now the 15th highest paid QB. Perfect example of how often it changes. In a year or two Cousins is going to shoot back down the rankings again because more and more QBs are going to get new deals. QB's pay goes up as the NFL salary cap goes up. So saying he will be the highest paid in the NFL is overrated because that will soon quickly disappear just like it did with Flacco.


Again, I am NOT using "certain stats". I just used every passing category you could ask for during his 3 year stretch as a starter and he was within the top 10 in most of them and if he wasnt in the top 10, he was just outside of that. Obviously you didnt look at the stats otherwise you would know this. So I'll post them again:

Cousins in 2017:

7th in passing yards

10th in completion percentage

11th in average YPC

8th in TD passes

5th in passes of 20+ yards

9th in passes of 40+ yards

12th in QB rating



Cousins in 2016:

3rd in passing yards

8th in completion percentage

3rd in average YPC

13th in TD passes

2nd in passes of 20+ yards

4th in passes of 40+ yards

8th in QB rating



Cousins in 2015:

10th in passing yards

1st in completion percentage

8th in average YPC

T-12th in TD passes (he had 29 and leader had 36. Much closer than what it shows)

16th in passes of 20+ yards (was only 3 away from 8th. Also much closer than what it shows)

19th in passes of 40+ yards

5th in QB rating


....No nitpicking there.

_________________
Image


Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 pm
Posts: 3795
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
TSonn wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:
I am not for paying best in the NFL money for an above average but not elite QB.


Well VMB, looks like Mr. Wilf has spoken! Or do you mean like you aren't going to go to games if Cousins is our QB? Or are you playing hypothetical and saying if you were the owner of the Vikings, you wouldn't sign Cousins?

I doubt he meant he is taking out his checkbook and paying some salaries. It sounds to me he doesnt want to put 30 mil on a QB who hasnt proved anything other then he has to have an excellent team around him to many start putting some meaningful games together, instead of elevated the team its. Much like our backup QB did last season.



Thank you


Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3380
Post Re: Next years QB
If the Vikings could get Cousins for Mid twenties, they could find that money on the roster.

If they cut:

Shariff Floyd --- 6.8
Latavius Murray -- 5.2
Jarius Wright -- 2.6
Andrew Sendejo -- 3.5
Brian Robison -- 3.5

They still have their current 47 million to work with in FA and re-signing guys, or frontloading the Cousins deal. Those are valuable players but mostly backups, and any GM in the league would gladly trade them for a legit starting QB. Come to think of it, its not impossible that they could trade Wright/Sendejo or Robison for a mid-late round pick or two and clear up some space. Sendejo and Robison in particular are playing on contracts they are outperforming. Dallas could probably use both of them. If they could trade Wright, I think they would also save the 2.1 part of his deal that would still count against the cap if he's cut. I'd gladly take a 7th round pick to part with his 5 million is cap space. I like Wright, but that was genuinely one of the worst contracts the Vikings have given out in years.

The next year you would still have 14 million in savings from the Sendejo/Murray/Wright contracts and you could come up with the extra money from any of the following contracts:

Remmers 4.5
Rudolph 7.6
Everson Griffin 10.7

If they go after Cousins, I would suggest front loading the deal with a record smashing 35-40 million in year one, and something like 18-20 in year two with year 3 being similar but with 0 guaranteed dollars.

I would also be happy to let Case/Teddy test the market and re-sign one or both of them to compete. I don't believe Case will get more than 15 per year and Teddy will probably not be signed for more than 10 unless Cleveland or NYJ want to sign him as a bridge with enough upside to be a possible longterm starter, in which case he could get a 1-2 year contract for a bit more. People can point to Glennon and say these guys will get paid more, but that Glennon move was universally panned, and the Bears have already cut bait. I have no interest in Bradford.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3436
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Next years QB
dead_poet wrote:
TSonn wrote:
S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.


I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.


My worry, as some have expressed, is his moderately better numbers compared to Case at a likely grossly higher salary. His performance under pressure is also cause for concern. He's not 5x or whatever better than Case and worse in some categories. I'd rather keep the TEAM together that would be better as a unit than a minor upgrade at QB at the expense of other positions.


Keenum put up those numbers on a great team.
Cousins put up those numbers on a bad team.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think Cousins will put up even better numbers with us.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3436
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
I really do not see why this is so hard. QB is the most important position in the game. There is a top 10 guy on the market. We need a top 10 guy. DONE.

If that isn't enough, we are obviously in a SB window right now. If there was ever a time to pay for some talent, it is now.

On top of that, we are easily the most desirable landing spot for any QB. Keenum lit up this place with this roster. Imagine what a guy with some serious NFL moxy is going to do.

I really can't believe this is even a debate.

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!


What do you love about Cousins? Since you say his win/loss percentage is meaningless. Which is one of the very few times Ive heard that mentioned. Hand picking stats that work with your theories can only go so far. IF cousins is so effing good and WE SHOULD GO GET GET HIM, why can he improve the teams he is on? You going to blame that all on coaches, GM, other players, etc, but never Cousins? I dont think Cousins is trash, but he isnt the second coming of jesus like some here believe. How do you know Case cant get better with an even better team, and more time on that team? Thats right, you dont. I just dont want us to spend 10 mil a year over what the guy is worth because we paniced, just like we did when we got Sam. How did that work out for you?


Uhh, I didn't say any of that in my post that you quoted?

However, I'll answer your question:

Cousins is the best QB option available to us. It is that simple. It doens't matter how he compared to the likes of Rogers and Brady. It matters that he can be had. The comparison isn't between Cousins and other players who are not on the market. The comparison is between Cousins and the rest of the QB market right now.

If you don't like Cousins then you have to way the risks with starting a guy with a lower cap number. One of those risks is the fact that we are in a SB window. How much cap space are you willing to risk for the Lombardi Trophy? I think I've made my position on that question rather clear.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3380
Post Re: Next years QB
mansquatch wrote:
How much cap space are you willing to risk for the Lombardi Trophy? I think I've made my position on that question rather clear.


I don't think the cap space is much of a factor anyway. As usual, the Vikings are in pretty good position. They should be able to keep the players on the roster they want and add Cousins if that's what they want to do. I think the question is whether they would rather add cousins or 3 or 4 free agents who might be able to start at other positions over the next two years. Would you rather have Cousins and draft to try to fill holes at DT, OG, etc or would you rather upgrad those positions to strengths and retain a player like Keenum while drafting for the future of the position?

In todays NFL, a legit starting QB is worth so much. I don't know how good Cousins is, but I would go after him and try to draft/develop to address the other areas of weakness, even though tempermentally I am not comfortable with that path. As a fan I'd rather keep Teddy/Case and sign an upgrade at DT and G this year, but if my job depended on getting it right, Cousins would be the choice.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
Posts: 359
Post Re: Next years QB
The number one thing this team needs to put them over the hump is a good consistent starting quarterback. Kirk Cousins provides that and is better than anything they have had since Brett Favre. I absolutely think that they should pay him whatever it takes and try to fill in the holes of whoever they can't afford to keep after that through the draft. You do have to ask yourself though why the team that gave Albert Haynesworth 100 million dollars refuses to pay him? I also think if it is a three-year deal worth 91 million and he wants two bites of the Apple the Vikings absolutely need to draft a quarterback in the next year or two in the first two rounds to develop as an insurance policy that second go around.

_________________
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 121
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
Post Re: Next years QB
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
If you already explained it and I refuse to to answer (which i rarely do, maybe not the way you wanted it answered though). You use certain stats, or points, yo justify who ever you want at the time. But it means nothing to the rest of us who have opinions too. Like why should Cousins be the highest paid QB when he has done squat as far as wins. Wins take you to the SB and allows you to win it. Along with good leadership skills. Over paying someone isnt going to get the job done.


No, you didnt answer my question in any way possible. I asked you if you would take Matt Stafford or Derek Carr on this team for big money? And you've yet to answer.


As for "big wins", he beat the Rams and Seattle this year BOTH on the road. In 2016, he beat the Giants (11-5 that year) on the road, the Eagles both times (even though they werent as good that year), and DEMOLISHED the Packers. Also, beat us if that carries any weight. Those arent "big wins"? If they arent then what do you define as "big wins"? Talk about using statistics that only benefit your argument. Even though saying that actually doesnt.

Also, how can you have a plethora of big wins when your defense is giving up the 28th most points in the NFL. Kirk Cousins absolutely shredded the Saints this year (on the road), threw 3 TDs, no INTs and put up 31 points. But lost. His defense gave up 34 points. That's on Kirk Cousins? Like I said, anti-Cousins fans continue to leave out the defensive aspect of all this time and time again. But "hey lets pay Case Keenum because he will be cheaper and got us to the NFCC!!!" Case Keenum played well and is my #2 option dont get me wrong but you know just as well as I do that he had a 10 times better TEAM around him than Cousins did. If Case Keenum of all QBs can succeed on a team like this, why cant Kirk Cousins? Answer me that.

What is Cousins suppose to do, win a SB with the 28th ranked defense in the NFL? Name me the last time a "bad defense" outside of the Brady/Belichik combo, won a SB. Or even made it there for that matter. AARON RODGERS cant even get there or win one anymore because his defense is so bad. Are we going to question him too?

As for making him the highest paid QB, you know how it goes (I would hope). This happens every year. It was Stafford. It was Flacco. It was Rodgers. It was Carr. It was Luck. It was Garoppolo. It will be Cousins. It will be Rodgers shortly after Cousins. It changes every year because the salary cap continues to rise. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL after the SB. He is now the 15th highest paid QB. Perfect example of how often it changes. In a year or two Cousins is going to shoot back down the rankings again because more and more QBs are going to get new deals. QB's pay goes up as the NFL salary cap goes up. So saying he will be the highest paid in the NFL is overrated because that will soon quickly disappear just like it did with Flacco.


Again, I am NOT using "certain stats". I just used every passing category you could ask for during his 3 year stretch as a starter and he was within the top 10 in most of them and if he wasnt in the top 10, he was just outside of that. Obviously you didnt look at the stats otherwise you would know this. So I'll post them again:

Cousins in 2017:

7th in passing yards

10th in completion percentage

11th in average YPC

8th in TD passes

5th in passes of 20+ yards

9th in passes of 40+ yards

12th in QB rating



Cousins in 2016:

3rd in passing yards

8th in completion percentage

3rd in average YPC

13th in TD passes

2nd in passes of 20+ yards

4th in passes of 40+ yards

8th in QB rating



Cousins in 2015:

10th in passing yards

1st in completion percentage

8th in average YPC

T-12th in TD passes (he had 29 and leader had 36. Much closer than what it shows)

16th in passes of 20+ yards (was only 3 away from 8th. Also much closer than what it shows)

19th in passes of 40+ yards

5th in QB rating


....No nitpicking there.



I'd also like to add onto this. Cousins couldn't win games because the Redskins defense was cousin-touching awful, bottom half of the league.

something Rhodes Closed wrote:
Looking at those years, here's what we can glean from those seasons, defensively for the Redskins:

2015: 24 Points Against (17th)
2016: 24 Points Against (19th)
2017: 24 Points Against (27th)

On average, the defense gave up 24 points a game for three years in a row, which is not stellar defense. Comparatively, the Vikings in the same three seasons:

2015: 19 Points Against (5th)
2016: 19 Points Against (6th)
2017: 16 Points Against (1st)

The key difference is not that Cousins couldn't win, it's that the Redskins defenses always ranked amongst the lower half in the league, the most egregious of those years being this year, when they were downright awful. With our defense, Kirk Cousins would likely have been leading the Redskins to the playoffs every single one of those years. (I'm not even getting into our offenses, because the Redskins offenses were much better than ours bar 2017).


I'd like to talk about offense too, now, because people just can't seem to get it through their head that there's three sides of the ball game (offense, defense, and special teams) and if you're awful at one of them, 9/10 times you're going to be a bad team.

Redskins Offense:

2015: 24 Points For (10th)
2016: 25 Points For (12th)
2017: 22 Points For (27th)

Vikings Offense:

2015: 23 Points For (16th)
2016: 20 Points For (23rd)
2017: 24 Points For (10th)

The Vikings were awful on offense in 2016 for a myriad of reasons (o-line injuries being the culprit for the most part), much like this year, the Redskins were awful for a myriad of reasons, least of which was the Kirk Cousins. Think about that.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:44 pm
Profile
Starter

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm
Posts: 166
Post Re: Next years QB
Seahawks seem to be cleaning house. What would it take to pry Russell Wilson from them? 2 1sts and a 2nd next year? Never gonna a happen but Trader Rick would be dumb to not try it.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: Next years QB
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
If you already explained it and I refuse to to answer (which i rarely do, maybe not the way you wanted it answered though). You use certain stats, or points, yo justify who ever you want at the time. But it means nothing to the rest of us who have opinions too. Like why should Cousins be the highest paid QB when he has done squat as far as wins. Wins take you to the SB and allows you to win it. Along with good leadership skills. Over paying someone isnt going to get the job done.


No, you didnt answer my question in any way possible. I asked you if you would take Matt Stafford or Derek Carr on this team for big money? And you've yet to answer.


As for "big wins", he beat the Rams and Seattle this year BOTH on the road. In 2016, he beat the Giants (11-5 that year) on the road, the Eagles both times (even though they werent as good that year), and DEMOLISHED the Packers. Also, beat us if that carries any weight. Those arent "big wins"? If they arent then what do you define as "big wins"? Talk about using statistics that only benefit your argument. Even though saying that actually doesnt.

Also, how can you have a plethora of big wins when your defense is giving up the 28th most points in the NFL. Kirk Cousins absolutely shredded the Saints this year (on the road), threw 3 TDs, no INTs and put up 31 points. But lost. His defense gave up 34 points. That's on Kirk Cousins? Like I said, anti-Cousins fans continue to leave out the defensive aspect of all this time and time again. But "hey lets pay Case Keenum because he will be cheaper and got us to the NFCC!!!" Case Keenum played well and is my #2 option dont get me wrong but you know just as well as I do that he had a 10 times better TEAM around him than Cousins did. If Case Keenum of all QBs can succeed on a team like this, why cant Kirk Cousins? Answer me that.

What is Cousins suppose to do, win a SB with the 28th ranked defense in the NFL? Name me the last time a "bad defense" outside of the Brady/Belichik combo, won a SB. Or even made it there for that matter. AARON RODGERS cant even get there or win one anymore because his defense is so bad. Are we going to question him too?

As for making him the highest paid QB, you know how it goes (I would hope). This happens every year. It was Stafford. It was Flacco. It was Rodgers. It was Carr. It was Luck. It was Garoppolo. It will be Cousins. It will be Rodgers shortly after Cousins. It changes every year because the salary cap continues to rise. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL after the SB. He is now the 15th highest paid QB. Perfect example of how often it changes. In a year or two Cousins is going to shoot back down the rankings again because more and more QBs are going to get new deals. QB's pay goes up as the NFL salary cap goes up. So saying he will be the highest paid in the NFL is overrated because that will soon quickly disappear just like it did with Flacco.


Again, I am NOT using "certain stats". I just used every passing category you could ask for during his 3 year stretch as a starter and he was within the top 10 in most of them and if he wasnt in the top 10, he was just outside of that. Obviously you didnt look at the stats otherwise you would know this. So I'll post them again:

Cousins in 2017:

7th in passing yards

10th in completion percentage

11th in average YPC

8th in TD passes

5th in passes of 20+ yards

9th in passes of 40+ yards

12th in QB rating



Cousins in 2016:

3rd in passing yards

8th in completion percentage

3rd in average YPC

13th in TD passes

2nd in passes of 20+ yards

4th in passes of 40+ yards

8th in QB rating



Cousins in 2015:

10th in passing yards

1st in completion percentage

8th in average YPC

T-12th in TD passes (he had 29 and leader had 36. Much closer than what it shows)

16th in passes of 20+ yards (was only 3 away from 8th. Also much closer than what it shows)

19th in passes of 40+ yards

5th in QB rating


....No nitpicking there.


No I wouldn't want Stafford. He is in it for the money. But he is better then Cousins.
I dont like Carr either. Hes a good QB, but now that he has big money he is very inconsistent. But lets blame the rest of the team, coaches, and everything else for his being inconsistent. Just like no one really likes Cousins (im SURE thats everyone else's problem, and not his). I am not saying Cousins isnt a good QB. He isnt the best out there, and shouldn't be paid the most money by a team as desperate as the Vikings are once again, like they were with Bradford. That sure worked out well didnt it.


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Next years QB
I get it. He's a good passer (still think his stats are inflated). I just think he's lacking the intangibles that elevate (or even solidify) a team. Leadership, performance under pressure, lack of pocket presence, extending plays. I really don't see anything special when watching his highlight reels.

I'm sure he'll have 3500+ yds passing, just not sure if it'll equate to wins.

I just hope you guys are right about Cousins because the Vikings are going to be stuck with him (healthy or not) for 3 years (not really what I call stability at the position).



Now Wilson, that's a guy I would go all out for.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Next years QB
fiestavike wrote:
If they cut:

Shariff Floyd --- 6.8
Latavius Murray -- 5.2
Jarius Wright -- 2.6
Andrew Sendejo -- 3.5
Brian Robison -- 3.5


Sendejo and Wright are steals at that amount IMO


Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Next years QB
Highlight reels of Keenum and Cousins don’t even compare. In a world where the cap is ever increasing, I think we should lock cousins up and enjoy the ride. (I know this opinion does not jive with my avatar)


Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:50 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
If you already explained it and I refuse to to answer (which i rarely do, maybe not the way you wanted it answered though). You use certain stats, or points, yo justify who ever you want at the time. But it means nothing to the rest of us who have opinions too. Like why should Cousins be the highest paid QB when he has done squat as far as wins. Wins take you to the SB and allows you to win it. Along with good leadership skills. Over paying someone isnt going to get the job done.


No, you didnt answer my question in any way possible. I asked you if you would take Matt Stafford or Derek Carr on this team for big money? And you've yet to answer.


As for "big wins", he beat the Rams and Seattle this year BOTH on the road. In 2016, he beat the Giants (11-5 that year) on the road, the Eagles both times (even though they werent as good that year), and DEMOLISHED the Packers. Also, beat us if that carries any weight. Those arent "big wins"? If they arent then what do you define as "big wins"? Talk about using statistics that only benefit your argument. Even though saying that actually doesnt.

Also, how can you have a plethora of big wins when your defense is giving up the 28th most points in the NFL. Kirk Cousins absolutely shredded the Saints this year (on the road), threw 3 TDs, no INTs and put up 31 points. But lost. His defense gave up 34 points. That's on Kirk Cousins? Like I said, anti-Cousins fans continue to leave out the defensive aspect of all this time and time again. But "hey lets pay Case Keenum because he will be cheaper and got us to the NFCC!!!" Case Keenum played well and is my #2 option dont get me wrong but you know just as well as I do that he had a 10 times better TEAM around him than Cousins did. If Case Keenum of all QBs can succeed on a team like this, why cant Kirk Cousins? Answer me that.

What is Cousins suppose to do, win a SB with the 28th ranked defense in the NFL? Name me the last time a "bad defense" outside of the Brady/Belichik combo, won a SB. Or even made it there for that matter. AARON RODGERS cant even get there or win one anymore because his defense is so bad. Are we going to question him too?

As for making him the highest paid QB, you know how it goes (I would hope). This happens every year. It was Stafford. It was Flacco. It was Rodgers. It was Carr. It was Luck. It was Garoppolo. It will be Cousins. It will be Rodgers shortly after Cousins. It changes every year because the salary cap continues to rise. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player in the NFL after the SB. He is now the 15th highest paid QB. Perfect example of how often it changes. In a year or two Cousins is going to shoot back down the rankings again because more and more QBs are going to get new deals. QB's pay goes up as the NFL salary cap goes up. So saying he will be the highest paid in the NFL is overrated because that will soon quickly disappear just like it did with Flacco.


Again, I am NOT using "certain stats". I just used every passing category you could ask for during his 3 year stretch as a starter and he was within the top 10 in most of them and if he wasnt in the top 10, he was just outside of that. Obviously you didnt look at the stats otherwise you would know this. So I'll post them again:

Cousins in 2017:

7th in passing yards

10th in completion percentage

11th in average YPC

8th in TD passes

5th in passes of 20+ yards

9th in passes of 40+ yards

12th in QB rating



Cousins in 2016:

3rd in passing yards

8th in completion percentage

3rd in average YPC

13th in TD passes

2nd in passes of 20+ yards

4th in passes of 40+ yards

8th in QB rating



Cousins in 2015:

10th in passing yards

1st in completion percentage

8th in average YPC

T-12th in TD passes (he had 29 and leader had 36. Much closer than what it shows)

16th in passes of 20+ yards (was only 3 away from 8th. Also much closer than what it shows)

19th in passes of 40+ yards

5th in QB rating


....No nitpicking there.


No I wouldn't want Stafford. He is in it for the money. But he is better then Cousins.
I dont like Carr either. Hes a good QB, but now that he has big money he is very inconsistent. But lets blame the rest of the team, coaches, and everything else for his being inconsistent. Just like no one really likes Cousins (im SURE thats everyone else's problem, and not his). I am not saying Cousins isnt a good QB. He isnt the best out there, and shouldn't be paid the most money by a team as desperate as the Vikings are once again, like they were with Bradford. That sure worked out well didnt it.


Lol I literally just said something to you about whining about Bradford and you can’t help yourself to bring it up every time. I explained it to you. You don’t listen, to anyone so I guess that’s my fault for even attempting to explain it. No less Bradford was an injury prone QB. Cousins health has been great. Not even close to the same thing. But keep telling yourself that.

And that’s funny that you sit there and don’t want Carr or Stafford. First of all, I don’t believe you. Second, Stafford is in it just for the money? :lol: what reliable source did you get that from? And Carr inconsistent? He actually had a decent year but again guess what? His defense blew. Just like Cousins’ did. But that doesnt matter to you of course.

And cousins being inconsistent? I truly have no clue what you read or what you think sometimes. He’s been nothing BUT consistent. Look at the numbers, look at his health, look at the record. That’s the definition of consistent. I’ve literally thrown out every stat out there and they show how Cousins is a good QB. You on the other hand, pay NO attention to his surrounding environment and how bad his defense was. Saying those are “excuses”. Ok dude, what’s Rodgers excuse? Why can’t he get to the SB. He’s the BEST in the league. Why can’t he get there? Please attempt to pick him apart. I’d love to see your reasoning behind it.

The Vikings aren’t “desperate”. They can essentially pick any QB they want right now but they obviously have to pay the QB money. We have the opportunity to get the best one currently out there? When have we ever had the chance to do that in a while? So why not do it? “Because we don’t want to overpay”. That’s a poor reason. We’re here to win a SB, nothing else. And clearly you paid no attention to my last post where I talked about the QB market and how as the cap changes QB prices go up. In two years, cousins will go from the highest paid QB to the 10th highest paid, so in the end does it really matter? No. It’s just a trend. Joe Flacco is now the 15th highest paid in the nfl and was once the highest paid 5 years ago.

Going back and forth with you is like talking to a brick wall. I really don’t know why I bother. It’s my own fault because I sit here and waste my own time trying to put some football knowledge into that thick skull of yours. Yeah we’re entititled to our own opinion and all and I respect yours but enough with the Bradford stuff. I don’t agree with you but there is no need to constantly bring it up. We get it you didn’t like the trade. Time to get past it. It was 2 years ago. Either way bottom line is you need to consider the defense. Seriously. Even Aaron Rodgers can’t win or even get to the SB anymore because he has a bad defense. If he can’t do it do you expect Cousins? No. So why is that considered an “excuse”. It’s a fact. Their D is bad. Giving up 24 points a game all 3 years of you being a starter blows and that’s hard to overcome. Even from the best of the best

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am
Profile
Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 8327
Post Re: Next years QB
Stop wasting your precious #### time and dont respond to a single post I make then ok. Your self rightious posts are too much. You are so big on what you think your never listen to anyone anyway. Buh bye.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Stop wasting your precious #### time and dont respond to a single post I make then ok. Your self rightious posts are too much. You are so big on what you think your never listen to anyone anyway. Buh bye.


I'm not "so big on what I think". I'm just providing FACTS. But you come at me with "I dont want Stafford because he's just in it for the money". Seriously? I can tell you that it's far from a fact. Nor is there any kind of source to back that up. You refuse to look at the defensive aspect with Washington, Oakland, Detroit and even GB when I brought up the whole Rodgers thing. You refuse to acknowledge the salary cap rising and QB money rising like I explained. You refuse to look at the stats (which are facts) that I provided for Cousins. And you constantly complain about the Bradford trade and act like this is somehow the same situation. And then you come at me swearing? You're arguing facts with opinion. If you had something to back it up maybe I would listen or try to understand where you're coming from. I'll be the first to admit, I've been wrong on this board before. It happens. But the whole "Stafford is in it for the money" thing did me in and shows me there is no getting through to you. :giveup:

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 am
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
Posts: 12
Post Re: Next years QB
Skins fan here. Since I'm a glutton for punishment I had to chime in here since I can't help myself and Skins drama is fun (pretty much all we have)

I have read Broncos and Jets message boards too in regards to Cousins and I find it fascinating so figured I'd give you guys some perspective.

I've watched 99.99% of every snap Cousins has taken as a Redskin. I've watched many multiple times as well. I also listen to Chris Cooley's weekly film breakdowns during the season (he's an uber smart and sharp guy as Coach Gibbs and Shanahan both have said)

Cousins - Top 12 QB easy. He's going to be the highest paid QB in NFL history but that will last for a few months and by this time next year there will be a few guys ahead of him. By year 3 he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of pay. That's how the NFL works.

RE: "If he was so good why didn't the Redskins keep him??? He must suck if that sucky org let him go!!" - ummm wrong on so many levels. I've followed this saga since ground zero. Basically the Skins disrespected him from the start. Even in 2012 when he got his first start (since Griffin was hurt late in the Baltimore game the prior week) and SHREDDED a decent Cleveland team (they were actually on the rise back then). After the game the GM and Owner made for the locker room and walked right by him to console RGIII. It got worse from there including multiple insulting contract offers. His agent played it perfectly. IT WAS COUSINS THAT DID NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH THE SKINS OVER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.

RE: "Teddy Bridgewater has more potential and cheaper!!!" - A few months ago the Skins knew they are losing Cousins so Cooley did an extensive film breakdown of every potential available QB who could work out for the skins. Results for Bridgewater were brutal. Injuries aside (he broke down the film PRE Injury) it was below average stuff and he graded out very poorly and cautioned we don't even think about signing. (for those who want to listen do a search on ESPN 980 Cooley breakdown Bridgewater). Sorry Bridgewater fans...he is not very good and carries significant injury risk now. For the record Cooley was impressed with Keenum for this past year.

RE: "Cousins sucks! Just look at his record!!" - Ok this is a terrible position to take. Our D (as has been stated by some) has been historically bad in many respects over the tenure of Cousins as a starter. Dumpster diving free agent signings (outside of a couple exceptions), lack of draft picks (due to RGIII trade) and still recovering from insane Salary Cap penalty ($36 mil over 2012 and 2013) during uncapped year. Without Cousins the Skins don't win but 3 or 4 games in each of last 3 years.

At one point our D was giving up 50% of 3rd and 7 or greater. one year they were the worst at that in NFL history (year before last)

RE: "He's a stat compiler! Garbage time stats!" - Not true at all. For most part Skins have played very close games over the last few years. This past year we had unbelievable injury luck and no weapons. Go back a couple years and take a sample of some of his best games (Bengals, Cowboys, Packers in 2016) We went 1-1-1 in those games. Cousins averaged 450 yards passing and was dominant. All games were close throughout and our D could not get off the field (We got 15 penalties in the Bengals game and our kicker missed several FGs over those 3 games). Against the Lions he brought the team back and took a 4pt lead with under a minute left on a great drive. Lions had no Time OUts but easily drove the field and won.

Can you win with Cousins at $30 mil per year? I don't know your cap situation as well as you all do. That's for you guys to figure out. But is Cousins a top 10 QB? To me and many skins fans he absolutely is.

Also there is not a harder worker and more impressive human being than this guy. Mike Shanahan has constantly been behind him even when guys like Colin Cowherd and even local media thought he was crazy (early in his first year as a starter for example): (look at the dates on some of these articles...way before Cousins took off)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/10/09/mike-shanahan-cannot-stop-praising-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.5a0137b297f5

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/24/mike-shanahan-says-the-sky-is-the-limit-for-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.2c6147048848

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/08/14/mike-shanahan-still-says-kirk-cousins-will-have-a-great-career-as-an-nfl-starter/?utm_term=.56ad1a22b0cc


Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 am
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
Posts: 12
Post Re: Next years QB
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
And how many wins does Cousins have? How many playoffs games has he won? SB's? Hows he been under must win games? Case did better this year as far as wins then Cousins ever did (i think). I am all for Cousins at a good price. Hes made 44 million in the past few years, if he wants a shot at the SB the Vikes are his best bet. But for closer to 25 mil a year. He wasnt even worth it to the Skins to keep, they went with Smith. Not a ringing endorsement of Cousins being an elite QB.


A few comments:

1. Judging by your viewpoint I'd venture to say you are in the camp of "Dilfer is better than Marino" type camp. Were team results are or lack thereof are exclusively on the QB. Where superbowl wins trump playoff wins and playoff wins trump regular season wins. That's fine. I don't see it this way in that the QB is the sole reason a team wins or loses.

2. Cousins CAN'T accept a Tom Brady like deal. His fellow players would SHUN him. He has a chance to be a hero to every player out there (at least QBs). He has singlehandedly redfinied the Franchise Tag and has gamed it to his advantage. Great move by his agent.

3. The only reason the Skins went for Smith is because Cousins did not want to be with the team the last couple years after all the disrespect and clownshow that is Bruce Allen. Cousins>>>Smith. Cousins is younger and still is getting better.

The team who loses out on him will be kicking themselves by this time next year.

Quote:

............And then he blows out his knee week 3 and is never the same......we still pay him his gaurenteed 70 or 80 million over 4 or 5 years and the struggle to find the "franchise guy" goes on for another decade. He's not worth the kind of money its gonna take to land him. I am totally out on the vikings going after Cousins. He's just not that good. Anyone can cherry pick stats to make him appear like the answer to every teams QB problems. At the end of the day, the Wins and Losses is what matters....... and he just hasn't been a winner......period. I mean WAS is moving on from him for Alex Smith.......Alex Smith......a middle of the road QB at best. What does that tell us about Kirk? I have been a big Speilman supporter, and I am confident he will make the right call on Cousins, if he chooses to pay him, I'll be surprised. I would be dissapointed in him as well, it sure doesn't fit the model he seems to have been following in building a team. He would lose my support, thats for sure, thats how strongly i feel about us avoiding Cousins.


To whomever posted this:

Cousins has not missed a snap due to injury since he was the Skins QB. he has not had an injury since highschool. He's one tough SOB.

So wait...Wins and Losses is what matters but Alex Smith is a middle of the road QB? Hasn't Smith won a ton of games since his last year in SF? Like average 10-11 a year? Again I don't prescribe that QB play is the only factor in W/L record of a TEAM.

How many Wins would the Vikes have had if we swapped Defenses this past year with the Skins. I'll give you a hint...our records would be reversed and suddenly Cousins in your eyes would be much better.


Last edited by Ovechkin8 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 am
Profile
Starter

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:50 pm
Posts: 166
Post Re: Next years QB
Ok enuff of you guys arguing. Now who would go all in to get Russell Wilson from Sea? And what would it take? Would the picks we send to get him stop our progression towards a SB? Or do we have everyone we need to grt to that goal on roster now for a couple years if we had a qb like Wilson. I want Cousins but would take Wilson over him any day.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
Posts: 12
Post Re: Next years QB
Bigwehrm wrote:
Ok enuff of you guys arguing. Now who would go all in to get Russell Wilson from Sea? And what would it take? Would the picks we send to get him stop our progression towards a SB? Or do we have everyone we need to grt to that goal on roster now for a couple years if we had a qb like Wilson. I want Cousins but would take Wilson over him any day.


Cooley did a breakdown on Wilson. Basically if you want Wilson throw your offensive playbook out of the window. More often then not he just does his own thing and doesn't stay on schedule. Your offensive line will HATE playing for a QB like this as will your receivers if they are precise route runners (like Diggs and Theilen who Cooley thinks are the best 1-2 receivers punch in the league)

Seattles offensive line is not as bad as it looks. The problem is Wilson and him just not being able to see over his line and rarely can find his checkdown from the pocket.

If you want a wild west offensive team then he's great. If you have an O coordinator who puts tons of time into game planning then avoid.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
Ovechkin8 wrote:

Cousins - Top 12 QB easy. He's going to be the highest paid QB in NFL history but that will last for a few months and by this time next year there will be a few guys ahead of him. By year 3 he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of pay. That's how the NFL works.


First of all, welcome! Second, I am so glad you came on here to share this with us so we can hear from someone outside of the Viking circle who actually knows what they are talking about. What you said above, has been exactly what I've been saying all along. I had him in the top 10, sitting at maybe 9 or 10. But yes, I have brought up more than once how the salary cap in constantly going up and so is QB pay. Look at Flacco. 15th highest paid QB right now. Was #1 five years ago.

Quote:
RE: "If he was so good why didn't the Redskins keep him??? He must suck if that sucky org let him go!!" - ummm wrong on so many levels. I've followed this saga since ground zero. Basically the Skins disrespected him from the start. Even in 2012 when he got his first start (since Griffin was hurt late in the Baltimore game the prior week) and SHREDDED a decent Cleveland team (they were actually on the rise back then). After the game the GM and Owner made for the locker room and walked right by him to console RGIII. It got worse from there including multiple insulting contract offers. His agent played it perfectly. IT WAS COUSINS THAT DID NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH THE SKINS OVER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.


Something I also addressed. The whole situation was dysfunctional from the start. From Shanahan pushing for Cousins more than RGIII to you guys having an alcoholic GM that was fired. The way Cousins was treated was uncalled for. It is so hard to find a franchise QB in this league (trust me, we know) and you guys had one all along and handled it poorly. I'd be ticked if they let Kirk go for Alex Smith. If you're going to let Kirk go, at least have a plan to land someone better. Not someone that is older and comparable to Cousins. I would say Cousins is definitely better.

Quote:
RE: "Teddy Bridgewater has more potential and cheaper!!!" - A few months ago the Skins knew they are losing Cousins so Cooley did an extensive film breakdown of every potential available QB who could work out for the skins. Results for Bridgewater were brutal. Injuries aside (he broke down the film PRE Injury) it was below average stuff and he graded out very poorly and cautioned we don't even think about signing. (for those who want to listen do a search on ESPN 980 Cooley breakdown Bridgewater). Sorry Bridgewater fans...he is not very good and carries significant injury risk now. For the record Cooley was impressed with Keenum for this past year.


THANK YOU!! He isnt all that great at all. He has a weaker arm, holds the ball too long, is a dink and dunker more often than not, etc. I could go on and on about him. I love Teddy and I feel bad for Teddy but with the position we are in, keeping him and "hoping" he can be a better QB is an awful approach. Especially after not playing for a few years. No less I've never seen so many fans give a QB praise for how he performed in the preseason before getting injured. Who cares?

Quote:
RE: "Cousins sucks! Just look at his record!!" - Ok this is a terrible position to take. Our D (as has been stated by some) has been historically bad in many respects over the tenure of Cousins as a starter. Dumpster diving free agent signings (outside of a couple exceptions), lack of draft picks (due to RGIII trade) and still recovering from insane Salary Cap penalty ($36 mil over 2012 and 2013) during uncapped year. Without Cousins the Skins don't win but 3 or 4 games in each of last 3 years.

At one point our D was giving up 50% of 3rd and 7 or greater. one year they were the worst at that in NFL history (year before last)


THANK YOU AGAIN! Some fans on here refuse to look at the defense. Nobody can address why Aaron Rodgers cant get to a SB anymore. These QBs cant do it by themselves. Even the BEST in the game cant get his team over the hump. Why? BAD DEFENSES! But guys like PK want to just hone in on his record, disregard stats, disregard how bad his defense is, disregard how your organization treated him, etc. "He doesnt win big games". Again, a joke. I proved that point once already.

Quote:
RE: "He's a stat compiler! Garbage time stats!" - Not true at all. For most part Skins have played very close games over the last few years. This past year we had unbelievable injury luck and no weapons. Go back a couple years and take a sample of some of his best games (Bengals, Cowboys, Packers in 2016) We went 1-1-1 in those games. Cousins averaged 450 yards passing and was dominant. All games were close throughout and our D could not get off the field (We got 15 penalties in the Bengals game and our kicker missed several FGs over those 3 games). Against the Lions he brought the team back and took a 4pt lead with under a minute left on a great drive. Lions had no Time OUts but easily drove the field and won.


Again, also something I addressed when the Cousins talk first started. You guys werent getting blown out week after week. You were running with teams but when your defense gives up 35 points, it's pretty difficult to get that win. Or like you said, if you were winning and your D cant prevent teams from scoring.

Quote:
Can you win with Cousins at $30 mil per year? I don't know your cap situation as well as you all do. That's for you guys to figure out. But is Cousins a top 10 QB? To me and many skins fans he absolutely is.

Also there is not a harder worker and more impressive human being than this guy. Mike Shanahan has constantly been behind him even when guys like Colin Cowherd and even local media thought he was crazy (early in his first year as a starter for example): (look at the dates on some of these articles...way before Cousins took off)


Our cap situation should be fine. But yes, you can add Vikings fans in there as well that believe he is a top 10 QB. Because I am one of them. Others, not so much but I really dont care. I love the guy. The guys drive around a fricken astro van for goodness sake. It's not all about the money for him. He's a smart kid.

Overall, I appreciate the post and I'm sure others do as well. Good to hear from someone else that knows Cousins inside and out.

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 pm
Posts: 12
Post Re: Next years QB
Thanks for the words Pondering Her Percy.

For whatever reason I feel compelled to respond to some of these. I almost did to the SB Nation Blog Daily Norseman the other day when some poor ill informed writer wrote just about the worst article on this situation that I have ever read.

I don't blame guys like that. They follow their OWN team and don't or haven't watched/followed every minute of the Kirk situation so just mainly go by what the NFL talking heads say or the box stats/record of skins. Its the theory of "rational ignorance" where people just don't have the time to invest in stuff like this. You'd have to watch/listen to hundreds of hours of games/shows etc to get the feel for it.

Cousins career trajectory has for the most followed that of Drew Brees. The Dolphins are still kicking themselves for that one I'd say.

Food for thought....the last 3 years of the Redskins (since Kirk started) has been the Redskins BEST win/loss record over 3 years since 1991....for the Win Loss crowd let that sink in.

I have watched so much of him that I am convinced he is even better than what most of those who like him think.

Last 3 years of Skins a lot has been like this: 1st down - Run up the middle for 1 yard. 2nd down- Run up the middle for zero yard (the local radio guys constantly make fun of Gruden for the "Pound Draw" play he loves). 3rd down - Kirk makes a 10-15 yard pass for 1st down.

in 2016 we hardly punted at all. Our D was brutal so we had one of the worst starting field positions in the league. Basically it was like "Ok Kirk..go out there and win us the game...we can't cover, stop the run, run the ball or play special teams but we expect you to win for us"

I agree with most all of your assessments.

There is a reason why all these great players from other teams are openly recruiting him from Von Miller to Joe Thomas to Thelien even.


Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 5204
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Next years QB
Ovechkin8 wrote:
Thanks for the words Pondering Her Percy.

For whatever reason I feel compelled to respond to some of these. I almost did to the SB Nation Blog Daily Norseman the other day when some poor ill informed writer wrote just about the worst article on this situation that I have ever read.

I don't blame guys like that. They follow their OWN team and don't or haven't watched/followed every minute of the Kirk situation so just mainly go by what the NFL talking heads say or the box stats/record of skins. Its the theory of "rational ignorance" where people just don't have the time to invest in stuff like this. You'd have to watch/listen to hundreds of hours of games/shows etc to get the feel for it.


No problem. With me, I am just as much a football fan as I am a Vikings fan. I currently have 5 TVs on the wall in my basement along with a $500 remote to control all 5 and of course the NFL ticket. I always have the Vikings on the biggest TV and others scattered across the smaller TVs. I've watched Cousins many of times. I've had Cousins on my fantasy teams (I'm in 4 money leagues). And have NFL Network on 24/7 when football is over with. I am a football fanatic that LOVES the Vikings but also LOVES football and I follow it obnoxiously close compared to a lot of people. I know this kid is a good QB. There is no doubt in my mind and there is so much out there that proves it. But some have to try and nitpick and look for little things that could be wrong with him just because they dont like the idea of us signing him to a big contract. Pay the man. This is our time.


Quote:
Food for thought....the last 3 years of the Redskins (since Kirk started) has been the Redskins BEST win/loss record over 3 years since 1991....for the Win Loss crowd let that sink in.


Wow :shock: But come on!!! Kirk couldnt win a SB with you guys.....I wonder why


Quote:
I have watched so much of him that I am convinced he is even better than what most of those who like him think.

Last 3 years of Skins a lot has been like this: 1st down - Run up the middle for 1 yard. 2nd down- Run up the middle for zero yard (the local radio guys constantly make fun of Gruden for the "Pound Draw" play he loves). 3rd down - Kirk makes a 10-15 yard pass for 1st down.

in 2016 we hardly punted at all. Our D was brutal so we had one of the worst starting field positions in the league. Basically it was like "Ok Kirk..go out there and win us the game...we can't cover, stop the run, run the ball or play special teams but we expect you to win for us"


I hear ya. We've been there before. But yeah, the fact that the Redskins made him look bad is ridiculous. How about surrounding him with some talent and building around him. One of my dads friends is a Skins fan and he texted me a week or so ago. He hardly watches them but has always "liked them". He said "Go ahead and take Cousins, he's pathetic". I responded with, "what's pathetic is the team you guys surrounded him with". He never responded lol.


Quote:
There is a reason why all these great players from other teams are openly recruiting him from Von Miller to Joe Thomas to Thelien even.


Exactly. The players know he's no slouch by any means. You dont see players reaching out saying "Hey we need to sign Teddy Bridgewater!!!"

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.