Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Buy low sell high. I would let Case go. He is at his highest value right now and I'd hate for him to come crashing back to earth on top dollar from the Vikings. I'd keep Teddy and/or Sam depending on how much each want. Both shouod get back up money imo. If either wants starter pay they can find it eksrwhere. I think they have to draft a Qb in the top 3 rounds regardless unless they overpay Kirk Cousins.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'm not at the Vikings' practices to see Teddy for myself. It's possible there is 0% chance he's our starter or 100% chance we just don't know enough but if they feel good about him being the guy next year all I know is that I'd be super hyped for next season cause I freaking love that kid.

He has great numbers against the blitz and under pressure which we saw a ton because the O-line was TERRIBLE (and that's actually being NICE) back then and people want to say keenum started to falter when the O-line sustained some injuries... well yeah Keenum is the opposite of Teddy (or sam for that matter) and he sucks against the blitz / pressure (see the steelers game, panthers, eagles, ETC) you know real defenses which of course are the defenses you're going to see in the playoffs.

Teddy had a rookie Stefon Diggs, a black hole for a RB who basically couldn't do anything but line up 8 yards deep and take hand offs from a QB under center, Mike Wallace whos skill set is basically the exact opposite of a match for a guy like Teddy and an OC who again, was the exact opposite of what Teddy needed to really flourish.

You have no idea how sad it makes me feel that we never got to see Teddy play with Shurmur, thielan (who's PERFECT for him!), this trio of running backs and an offensive line that wasn't a total dumpster fire.

If he's healthy, Teddy's my guy!! :cheer:

I love Sam too, he has all the talent and upside you can ask for but it seems his knees simply can't handle a full season of football (or even 1 game for that matter...)

Keenum will never win us a superbowl so I don't like the idea of putting any more resources into him but if neither sam nor teddy are healthy enough to play another solid regular season and losing in the playoffs cold be the best case scenario for us and franchising him would maintain that status quo for another year while we try to figure it out.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How many teams have you seen make it to NFC game with a 14-3 record .
And then get rid of their QB...only the Vikings would do something like that. :lol: :lol:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

halfgiz wrote:How many teams have you seen make it to NFC game with a 14-3 record .
And then get rid of their QB...only the Vikings would do something like that. :lol: :lol:
Case was not as effective down the stretch. He wasn't as elusive, his accuracy and timing were off a bit, and he turned the ball over several times. He was efficient and made some nice throws, but he wasn't the same as he had been earlier in the year. Some blamed that on the injury issues that impacted the offensive line, and thus his protection, and maybe that could explain it.

Case was signed to a one-year deal to be the 3rd string QB. He was in that position and signed that deal largely because prior to this season, what he had shown on the field with multiple teams did not merit more than that. My concern with signing him to a long-term, big-money starter contract at this point would be more about his entire body of work, and also taking into account some of the negatives of his play that we saw this year, especially late in the season and in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong - he had a fantastic season by any account, and the Vikings appear to have gotten extremely lucky to have gotten him as their 3rd string QB this year. But I'm just not convinced he is their guy long-term. I'm not convinced he's a game changer, or at least capable of consistently changing a game. I'm not convinced Bridgewater is capable of that either, injured or not. The only QB the Vikings have that is capable of that is Bradford. Whether the Vikings want to put their chips on Bradford given his injury history is the question, but I have no doubt that of the 3 options the Vikes have at QB at this point, Bradford has the highest reward potential of the 3 and the risk in signing him can be managed, especially if Sloter is ready to take on the backup role.

The Vikes, of course, aren't forced to sign any of the 3. A guy like Drew Brees would make them instant Superbowl favorites in the NFC. Kirk Cousins probably puts them solidly in the conversation as well.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

halfgiz wrote:How many teams have you seen make it to NFC game with a 14-3 record .
Ravens coming fresh off a Super Bowl victory replaced Dilfer with Grbac.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The 2000 Ravens won the superbowl and then dumped trent dilfer because it was plain as day (like with keenum) he wasn't a good QB.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Hoping for Case Keenum.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingLord wrote:
Case was not as effective down the stretch. He wasn't as elusive, his accuracy and timing were off a bit, and he turned the ball over several times. He was efficient and made some nice throws, but he wasn't the same as he had been earlier in the year. Some blamed that on the injury issues that impacted the offensive line, and thus his protection, and maybe that could explain it.

Case was signed to a one-year deal to be the 3rd string QB. He was in that position and signed that deal largely because prior to this season, what he had shown on the field with multiple teams did not merit more than that. My concern with signing him to a long-term, big-money starter contract at this point would be more about his entire body of work, and also taking into account some of the negatives of his play that we saw this year, especially late in the season and in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong - he had a fantastic season by any account, and the Vikings appear to have gotten extremely lucky to have gotten him as their 3rd string QB this year. But I'm just not convinced he is their guy long-term. I'm not convinced he's a game changer, or at least capable of consistently changing a game. I'm not convinced Bridgewater is capable of that either, injured or not. The only QB the Vikings have that is capable of that is Bradford. Whether the Vikings want to put their chips on Bradford given his injury history is the question, but I have no doubt that of the 3 options the Vikes have at QB at this point, Bradford has the highest reward potential of the 3 and the risk in signing him can be managed, especially if Sloter is ready to take on the backup role.

The Vikes, of course, aren't forced to sign any of the 3. A guy like Drew Brees would make them instant Superbowl favorites in the NFC. Kirk Cousins probably puts them solidly in the conversation as well.
So you don't think the injury issues with the line affected anything??
The last 2 games Hill was like a revolving door and the last game had a PFF rating of 33. Remmers wasnt any better at left guard.
Keenum is the only QB we have with 2 good knees...
Maybe Giants will trade Eli to Jaguars and then Shurmur will sign Keenum.
You have about 7 teams looking for QB's. We will see how it all pans out.
Drew Brees isn't going anywhere. Cousins you better get you wallet out. He is due to get paid 34.5 million this year from the Redskins if they keep him. And we would be bidding against other teams for him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mondry wrote:
The 2000 Ravens won the superbowl and then dumped trent dilfer because it was plain as day (like with keenum) he wasn't a good QB.
Where do you come up with Case isnt a good QB? From a few games? Thats like saying our entire D suck cause of the last 6 quarters.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
mondry wrote:
Where do you come up with Case isnt a good QB? From a few games? Thats like saying our entire D suck cause of the last 6 quarters.
Yeah, We can't judge the entire season from a couple of bad games. But my question is this: How many plays per game is a healthy Bradford better than a healthy Case or Teddy? I'm going to say about 5 to 7. Football is a game of inches. 7 plays better per game is a lot. Hell, 5 is. That's enough to drive up the score or win a close come from behind. I don't think Case or Teddy can throw that consistently. Staying healthy is important for sure, but when it comes to Teddy or Sam to me it's obvious the better choice is Sam. You have to let Teddy go. You have to see if Case will settle as a back up. There's going to be Lots of negotiation and lots of movement at the QB position across the league this off-season.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Wow, getting burned by Sam's injury didnt burn you enough the past 2 years? You think age and getting hit more with make his knee all better? Theres a reason why Sam keeps landing with different teams, Rick already bet big on him and lost, and we will lose even more this coming draft.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Wow, getting burned by Sam's injury didnt burn you enough the past 2 years? You think age and getting hit more with make his knee all better? Theres a reason why Sam keeps landing with different teams, Rick already bet big on him and lost, and we will lose even more this coming draft.
Some of us like Sam and wish he could stay healthy. Some of us thought the trade was smart.

The dude disagrees with you. So do I. Get over it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Wow, getting burned by Sam's injury didnt burn you enough the past 2 years? You think age and getting hit more with make his knee all better? Theres a reason why Sam keeps landing with different teams, Rick already bet big on him and lost, and we will lose even more this coming draft.
Some of us like Sam and wish he could stay healthy. Some of us thought the trade was smart.

I really hate it when people like to tell others what to do. I am over it. Hoping Rick is too. Let someone else pay for an injury prone QB who cant stay on the field. Every team that has had him wishes he could stay healthy but guess what, he cant. Maybe we should all run our posts by you and PHP before we post anything.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Rock45 wrote:Yeah, We can't judge the entire season from a couple of bad games. But my question is this: How many plays per game is a healthy Bradford better than a healthy Case or Teddy? I'm going to say about 5 to 7.
Perhaps but I think it's also fair to consider that he might be good for several more negative plays per game too due to a lack of mobility. He's definitely the best passer of the 3 though.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I really hate it when people like to tell others what to do. I am over it. Hoping Rick is too. Let someone else pay for an injury prone QB who cant stay on the field. Every team that has had him wishes he could stay healthy but guess what, he cant. Maybe we should all run our posts by you and PHP before we post anything.
For what's it's worth, I agree with you about Bradford. For that matter, I also agree with Kapp to the extent that I like Bradford. However, I think the lesson to be learned from Bradford's career to this point is that he's probably not worth the money. In the end there's a good chance that trade will end up as a first round draft pick poorly spent by the Vikings.

The more I look at the Vikes QB situation the more I wonder if, rather than having 3 potential long term starters hitting free agency, they might have zero. I'm not sure about Keenum. It may be that this year represented a "turn of the corner" for him but there's not one QB among those 3 to whom I'd give a lucrative, long-term contract this offseason. I hope they will take a hard look at free agency and the draft as well as at these 3 players.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Actually there is quite a lot of evidence he isn't a very good QB, like multiple years worth.

Then you look at how effective he was in our losses this year and you can see he's nothing more than a mediocre guy who benefited from playing on a stacked Vikings squad.

Week 2 PIT - 20/37 167 yards passing 0 TD
Week 4 DET - 16/30 219 yards passing 0 TD
Week 14 CAR - 27/44 280 yards passing 2 TD, 2 INT, 1 Fumble lost
Playoffs PHI - 28/48 271 yards passing 1 TD 2 INT (pick 6) 1 Fumble lost

Bonus NO - 25-40 318 yards passing 1 TD 1 INT (The Minneapolis Miracle was a 61 yard TD which of course we have to count but it's called a miracle for a reason)

I don't want a guy who's turnovers lead to more points for the other team than he scores for us in a crucial playoff game.