Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Next years QB

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

raddmann wrote:Kaap. I've read many of your posts here and am usually in full agreement with your accessments. The reason I think Cousins is fantasyland is because of his price. I often read that it will require 30 to 35 million to get him and if that's true there won't be much leftover to sign some of those young defensive guys like Hunter and I don't think Zim will be agreeable to that. I have to confess that I have not seen Cousins play much. One game he was very bad and then got about 200 yards during garbage time in the 4th quarter so his game stats looked better than they really were. The other time I saw him he was fantastic. For some reason I have very little memory of how he played against us this year. Beer probably had something to do with this.

I agree that his stats are great but I've seen guys like Rivers, Stafford and even Cutler put up big stats too and how many times have they choked in the later stages of an important game. If somehow they could sign him in 23 to 25 million range then I'd be much more interested in him so it's all about his price for me. I definately agree that he is easily the top FA qb out there.

I'm not really infatuated with Smith and would prefer we get a younger guy but if he could be had for 12 to 15 million I see him as a better value. There are a few other guys too like Fitzpatrick but again I've just not seen them play enough to make a proper evaluation.

Cheers
Cheers back at ya! And thanks for the props on the posts.

First, I don't think Kirk Cousins would cost the Vikings $30 to $35 million. If the Redskins tag him for a 3rd straight year, THEY would have to pay him $34 million. But in free agency, he'd probably get just a hair north of what Matthew Stafford got (5 years, $135 million, $27 million average yearly). Yes, it's a lot.

As for stats, I happen to think there's more to Cousins than the numbers. From what I read, he's a smart guy, a strong leader (the Washington media call him "Captain Kirk," and it's not a dig), a solid citizen, and a very talented player. I also happen to believe he gets an unfair rap when it comes to his play in the clutch. Media types latch on to his failures, but they fail to acknowledge his 12 game-winning drives. And here's something else. He can get red-hot for long periods of time. He had a 10-game stretch in 2015 where he had 23 TDs, 3 picks and a 119 QBR. Stats, I know, but guess what else? Washington won 7 of those 10 games. I guess I'm just more sold on Kirk Cousins as a complete quarterback than some are.

For what it's worth, Cousins played fairly well against us. It wasn't the greatest performance of his career, but solid. He rushed for 2 TDs. I've seen him have many games where he was just about the only thing Washington had. I mean, think about it. The guy threw for 4,000 with Terrelle Pryor as the 'Skins' big free agent signing.

Here's another way to analyze this. Many on this board have advocated for the Vikings using the franchise tag on Case Keenum at $24 million. Is Kirk Cousins at, say, $28 million a better value than Keenum at $24 million? I think so.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Lamar Jackson is a RGIII clone.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Lamar Jackson is a RGIII clone.
Yeah, I'm not sold, either. Guy is electric with his feet, but if we haven't learned that running quarterbacks are not long for this league, then we haven't learned anything. Jackson isn't a pocket passer, at least at this point. Which to me means he's not a pro quarterback. That's probably why a lot of experts believe he'll eventually be a wide receiver ... if he survives as a quarterback without getting killed.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

Kapp. if they could get him for 27 million that would certainly be much more attractive to.me. As for Case at 24 and Cousins at 27 obviously It'd be Cousins lol. But I wasn't suggesting they give Case 5 years at that price. I'm a little wary of giving any Qb a huge long term deal because that means they'll have a lot less for other important peices and those peIces are what make or break a Qb. I also have serious concerns about injury too, especially with the luck we've had with Sam and Teddy recently. If we were to sign Cousins at the price you think we could get him at I hope there is a clause in his contact which forbids him from using a bar of soap in the shower ! I'm also leery of those who say we need to win now at all costs. I remember very well when Oakland tried that the year they went to the SB with Gannon. They are still in the playoff wilderness 15 years later. It seems like we kind of did that in 2009 and then had a massive rebuilding job on their hands. I absolutely do not want to travel that path under any circumstances.

At any rate this is going to be the most interesting offseason that we've had in a long time. I still think it's gonna be Teddy once the dust clears if he really is healthy and it will be well under 10 million. Then they'll use the extra 15 plus million on FA's to shore up our weak spots. No doubt the decision made this offseason will determine the futures of the dynamic duo known as Rick and Mike.

Skol
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't want case at all. He has a average to weak arm and he is going to demand a lot of money... Which I don't think he is worth.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't want case at all. He has a average to weak arm and he is going to demand a lot of money... Which I don't think he is worth.
Not sure how someone can say you don’t want a QB that led us to a 13-3 record
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't want case at all. He has a average to weak arm and he is going to demand a lot of money... Which I don't think he is worth.
In my opinion his arm strength is lacking. Coming back from a large deficit let's day 17 pts is very tough with him. I like his escapability though. But the main thing is he is going to want atleast 3-5 years 19+ mil a year and I don't think he is worth that. I would rather re sign teddy super cheap and draft a rookie and let them battle it out.
I would rather have cousins than case by a Longshot
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
In my opinion his arm strength is lacking. Coming back from a large deficit let's day 17 pts is very tough with him. I like his escapability though. But the main thing is he is going to want atleast 3-5 years 19+ mil a year and I don't think he is worth that. I would rather re sign teddy super cheap and draft a rookie and let them battle it out.
I would rather have cousins than case by a Longshot
Yes he has a weaker arm but so does Teddy. So that shouldn’t even be a factor. My thing with keeping teddy and a rookie is now we are starting from square 1 at QB. Because now we have two question marks at QB. We know what we have in case. We know case can win. We don’t know if Teddy can win. We don’t know if a rookie can win. That’s really rolling the dice if you ask me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Keenum finishes 4th in ESPN MVP
http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break ... 80728422=1

Like [Carson] Wentz and [Tom] Brady, Keenum was the quarterback for one of the league's four 13-3 teams. Forget the fact that his emergence from third-stringer to playoff starter was one of the season's best stories, Keenum delivered the statistical goods. He was second in QBR — right [behind] Wentz — and second in completion percentages, threw one fewer interception than Brady did and kept the Minnesota offense on track after Sam Bradford got hurt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Here's another way to analyze this. Many on this board have advocated for the Vikings using the franchise tag on Case Keenum at $24 million. Is Kirk Cousins at, say, $28 million a better value than Keenum at $24 million? I think so.

Consider me convinced, Kapp. You present a solid argument in favor of Cousins.

How likely do you think it is that the Ricker pulls the trigger on Cousins? He is a gambling man by nature, but even so... I'd say it's unlikely.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Count me in on the Cousins bandwagon, but I wonder if Rick is willing to pay him? I have to think they know they need "that guy" at QB and Cousins could be it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I can see him being similar to Deshaun Watson.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
I can see him being similar to Deshaun Watson.
Me too. Could be wrong but I can see it
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Just a couple things...Washington hasn't parted ways with Cousins yet.
And there will be a few other teams who will be trying to get Cousins services if he gets left go. Which could make him the highest paid QB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:Count me in on the Cousins bandwagon, but I wonder if Rick is willing to pay him? I have to think they know they need "that guy" at QB and Cousins could be it.
By no means am I against Cousins. I’ve always liked him. Who knows. Knowing Zim, he wants to take the next step so he could push rick to do this. Could effect our D down the road but who knows. I’d love to get him but I don’t know if it’s realistic.

If you’re cousins and you get a $28 million offer from the Vikings but a $32 million offer from the Jets, what do you take? That’s the question. We have the ball in our court because we already have a very good team but also, we don’t have the Cap room these other teams have such as the browns and jets. However according to over the cap, we have the 7 most cap room in the nfl. So maybe we could?
-Chazz Palminteri