Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:
Teddy didn't have a standout receiver?
Diggs, Thielen,Wright, Rudy and Wallace. All them receivers are on our current roster except Wallace - Who the following year went on to have a 1000 yd season with another team.
Exactly. There was no reason he shouldnt have done better than he did with those WRs. Lets not say HE led us to an 11-5 record. Adrian Peterson and that defense led us there. You dont lead a team to an 11-5 record with 14 TDs and 9 INTs. Sorry. Was he a "leader"? Yes. But his play didnt get us where we were.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Barely top 10?? Is that not good? Or am I missing something? Yeah of course it took a hit when Cook went down but it was still pretty good. It's not like our run game went from great to terrible.
Truer words have never been spoken.

First four games (with Cook): 108.0 yards per game rushing.
Last 12 games (without Cook): 127.1 yards per game.

That is not to suggest that Cook isn't a dynamic talent, or that the Vikings were better off without him. But for a small sample size, they actually gained more yards. The difference was in yards per carry.

First four games: 4.2
Last 12 games: 3.8

We're a better team with Cook. But we didn't exactly fall apart.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Barely top 10?? Is that not good? Or am I missing something? Yeah of course it took a hit when Cook went down but it was still pretty good. It's not like our run game went from great to terrible.
Truer words have never been spoken.

First four games (with Cook): 108.0 yards per game rushing.
Last 12 games (without Cook): 127.1 yards per game.

That is not to suggest that Cook isn't a dynamic talent, or that the Vikings were better off without him. But for a small sample size, they actually gained more yards. The difference was in yards per carry.

First four games: 4.2
Last 12 games: 3.8

We're a better team with Cook. But we didn't exactly fall apart.
Exactly. Good stat find Kapp
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

10th place isn't good enough for me since Vikings run game as been the stronger part of the team. Also Cooks averaged more ypc though and I think he would've easily broke the 1000 yard mark by himself.

You guys are right with the stats Ill admit Ill see myself out with that but my while point is that i don't think Cousins would significantly improve our team.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:I'm on the opposite side. The way he'll mesh with this team is one of the more important things that concern me.

I mean if he's that good, why did the Redskins choose Smith?

Yes Kirk is durable, has a strong arm, and can throw for a bunch of yards. But that doesn't make a QB successful in this league. Did a quick look and found Cousins 3rd down percentage was 3rd worst in the NFC. Yeah WAS had a bad line last year but so did Bradford in 2016 and Bridgewater for his entire NFL career. There has to be some reason that would make a team like the Redskins give up on him.

Another quick search and found this. No clue if there's any truth to it

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/12/ ... ell-liked/

and then there's a soundFX clip where Kirk is yelling at his lineman questioning why he's not running to the huddle. Seems like he talks down to his players. Like I said, that could rub team mates the wrong way.
OK, first of all, the writer of that article even admitted that all of a sudden there was this narrative about how Cousins isn't liked ... when a week before, nobody had ever said that about him.

Second, what the heck do Steve Smith and Marshall Faulk know? Are they in the Redskins' locker room? I guarantee you they're not. Former players offer little more than name cache in the studio. They don't do any legwork. They do almost no film study. They're on board for their names. I have never once heard Marshall Faulk offer an opinion with any more education than 3 dozen guys on this board could have given. Reporters like Adam Schefter and Jason LaConfora are the ones who do the heavy lifting when it comes to inside information. So far, they haven't reported anything close to this stuff.

I totally agree that whoever is the next quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings needs to be respected fully in that locker room. And if Cousins is a dooshbag, then I don't want him. But you know, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let the Vikings' front office and coaching staff perform their due diligence, and leave the stupid rumor-mongering to nitwits like Steve Smith.
Oh, I agree too. If the organization chooses Bridgewater or Bradford, I'll feel confident that they can get the job done. If they go after Cousins, I'll feel confident they know he'll fit in. Just trying to make a point to Percy that it's not all about arm talent.

Oh, here's another one I found:
Kirk Cousins thinks his relationship with his receivers is fine, despite Dan Patrick report
Washington Post › Travel › 2 months ago
Washington’s offense had perhaps its poorest performance of the season in Sunday’s loss to the Chargers, with Kirk Cousins throwing for just 151 yards, easily the lowest total since he was installed as the team’s starter before the 2015 season. That followed a week in which Dan Patrick caused a minor local stir by reporting on his podcast that “the behind-the-scenes intel” he had received indicated that “Kirk Cousins is not well-liked by his wide receivers.”

After just about every D.C. sports-radio program chewed over this declaration, Patrick later said more: that he was told “some of the receivers have a problem with [Cousins] because he throws them into positions where they could get hurt,” and that he was told this by somebody who attended the Redskins-Cowboys Thursday night game who is not affiliated with the Redskins.

This is all a bit odd, but it comes from the host of NBC’s prime-time Football Night in America program, someone who has a national platform and plenty of national listeners. And so Cousins on Monday was finally asked to respond to this report.
https://firenewsfeed.com/travel/861576
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Slick Rick wrote: then he's more than viable as a starting QB,
He is?? How do you know this? We know what Case, Bradford, Cousins and Foles can do. We have no idea how Teddy will be. Can he sit in the pocket? Is he going to get happy feet like when he played Cincy this year? Can he take hits, etc. etc. I'm not sure how anyone can say he's a viable option when he legit hasnt played in two year. Literally nobody knows. So how do you rely on that if you're the Vikings?
Okay, so if you're going to question whether we know what Teddy can do based off of (lol) one performance that included, what, two pass attempts? Yeah, well what do we make of Bradford's poor performance against Chicago where Case Keenum came in and basically snatched the starting job right out of his hands by doing what Sam couldn't do which is drive the ball on Chicago's fairly mediocre defense. What do we make of Keenum himself being relatively inconsistent throughout his career and having his worst performance in the biggest game of his career against Philly. Finally, there's Kirk, who I don't believe has ever even played in a postseason game, let alone won one.

I'm not saying that Bridgewater is the solution, I think that's way too conservative, and I'd bet Spielman is a little bit more aggressive than that now that we're in a positions where we know what we have and that we're at our window of opportunity where we could be competing for Super Bowls right now. At the same time, he's always been viable and I don't think the Vikings would be talking about bringing him back if they thought he was a significant injury risk or that his injury was going to somehow prevent him from playing. It feels like they want him to come back and be a good insurance policy in case Keenum (intended), Cousins, Bradford or whoever does get hurt that we'll have someone who's fairly reliable to back them up.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Can you imagine taking a time machine back 6 months and telling people we'd be debating over Case Keenum or Nick Foles as potential 2018 starting QBs? What a crazy year!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

720pete wrote:Can you imagine taking a time machine back 6 months and telling people we'd be debating over Case Keenum or Nick Foles as potential 2018 starting QBs? What a crazy year!
I like how people don't trust case after 16 games but they trust Foles after like 5.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
720pete wrote:Can you imagine taking a time machine back 6 months and telling people we'd be debating over Case Keenum or Nick Foles as potential 2018 starting QBs? What a crazy year!
I like how people don't trust case after 16 games but they trust Foles after like 5.

^^^.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Add AJ McCarron to the available list.

Quarterback AJ McCarron will be an unrestricted free agent in March after winning his grievance against the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... free-agent
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:

I'm not basing my opinion only on 2017. Keenum's history prior to this year has been lackluster. Foles showed he could play at a high level prior to 2017.

But even if we were just looking at 2017, it's hard to dismiss what Foles has done. He was put in a pressure situation at the end of the season and was able to put together one of these best playoff runs in recent memory. He had a solid performance vs ATL, an even better performance vs the Vikings. Tops it off by winning the MVP of the superbowl. IMO, that's pretty close to what Case did this year. You could argue it was even better.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

halfgiz wrote:Add AJ McCarron to the available list.

Quarterback AJ McCarron will be an unrestricted free agent in March after winning his grievance against the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... free-agent

Add Manziel to the list too.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:I'm on the opposite side. The way he'll mesh with this team is one of the more important things that concern me.

I mean if he's that good, why did the Redskins choose Smith?

Yes Kirk is durable, has a strong arm, and can throw for a bunch of yards. But that doesn't make a QB successful in this league. Did a quick look and found Cousins 3rd down percentage was 3rd worst in the NFC. Yeah WAS had a bad line last year but so did Bradford in 2016 and Bridgewater for his entire NFL career. There has to be some reason that would make a team like the Redskins give up on him.

Another quick search and found this. No clue if there's any truth to it

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/12/ ... ell-liked/

and then there's a soundFX clip where Kirk is yelling at his lineman questioning why he's not running to the huddle. Seems like he talks down to his players. Like I said, that could rub team mates the wrong way.
I mean all of that is up for debate. There is also this from Vernon Davis. If Cousins was an a-hole I dont think Davis wouldve been giving him this much praise.
“He’s a young guy in the league, and I think sometimes we forget about that, that he’s only been a starter for two years,” Davis said. “And with that being said, he’s doing all the right things. He’s doing all the right things. Guys in the locker room love him. They think he’s spectacular. I do, as well, because of what he does. He minimizes himself in the locker room; in practice and in games he stands out like a sore thumb.

“And that’s what great quarterbacks do. That’s what they do. I watch those things, and he’s putting his teammates first. He’s putting his teammates first. So that’s first and foremost. He’s growing, he’s evolving, so I’m excited about his career and excited about his future. I think he’s going to be a wonderful quarterback in this league.”
As for why the Redskins chose Smith.... because the Redskins are one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL. Cousins was a Shanahan guy. He was the one still pounding the table for him even after they drafted RGIII #2 overall that year. And who ended up making the right choice in the long run....Mike Shanahan. They just had a GM that ended up being a drunk that they had to fire. They've drafted horrible. Signed horrible. They kept franchising Cousins for goodness sake burning a ton of cap room. They are the epitome of a dysfunctional organization. What they did with Cousins means nothing to me. They have no chance to get to the SB let alone the playoffs with who they have and I can tell you Alex Smith isnt the one that is going to lead them there. They put nothing around Cousins. Literally. His WRs are awful (Crowder being the only halfway decent one), they had the 28th ranked rushing offense. And their defense has been at the bottom of the league since Cousins has been the starter there. And Cousins is still pulling near .500 records.

Not sure if I would call DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Crowder, and Davis nothing.

But hey, I'm wit choo. I'll be happy if the Vikings can get Kirk for a reasonable price. But 500 times better than Bridgewater? Come on. He was a legitimate starter and still may be if healthly.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I wonder what A.J. McCarron would be like with a good OC and QB coach. I liked him a lot coming out of college, but he hasnt showed much since. But with good Oline play and the receivers we have, he might be ok to good here. I personally dont see the Vikings ever having an elite QB. I think its part of the Vikings curse.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Kirk Cousins won't come at a reasonable price, and yes he is 500 times better than Teddy and his high school passing touchdown statistics. He is a joke; but he is who they will go with only because our head coach is more focused on his beloved defense (who were a complete embarassment against Philly) because he wants to extend Barr, Kendricks, and Waynes. Well, that is what it comes down to I guess, go after a REAL quarterback, and lose at least one if not 2 of those defensive players, or I suppose sign all 3 so we can give up 38 unanswered points again next year. We are foolish not to go all in for Cousins. Zimmer knows how to draft defense he will find another linebacker and corner. The choice is obvious to me.