Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JSB
Waterboy

Re: Next years QB

Post by JSB »

mosscarter wrote:The Jets have basically came out and said they will pay whatever it takes to get Cousins. So, that tells me we might be looking to throw $150 million at him (thats what it might take). I think if he decides to go to the highest bidder, we are out, but if he wants to win right away (which he has said) then we are very much in play. Maybe he would take a little less in that scenario.

If Jets take him they will still be terrible, IMO. You can put Tom Brady on a bad team and the team will still be terrible. I think Guys like Brady, Elway, Marino, Aikman (really any good QB that played in the past) been drafted by Detroit or Cincy when they were terrible. And would remain terrible until the team drafted players or signed players that become a better than avg O-line. We wouldn't even know who Tom is if he started out on a terrible team with poor coaching.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JSB wrote:Well, as a native Minnesotan that moved to Houston in the late 70s.... and a lurker here for the season (as I remained a fan through the years). I had to chime in on this. I can't believe any team would give cousins a big contract. It will be a huge mistake in my opinion. They should have already signed Keenum to a decent guaranteed 2-year contract with years beyond (bigger money) as a team option that they can execute if he performs. I think he wanted to stay in Minnesota and I believe he would have jumped on a deal like that earlier. He studies defenses, knows the offense and his position at a high level. Which, I believe, means this season's performance was no fluke. He learned a lot from Houston and the Rams and finally had a solid team to play on...

That Phili game wasn't on him... The whole team was terrible!

Anyway, I have enjoyed visiting this message board all season! Great Year!

Jason
Welcome to the active side of the board! :welcome

Why do you think signing Cousins would be a bad move? If we can sign him for say 6-8 million more a year than Keenum, I think it justifies the gap in talent between the two. Honestly, though, I would be fine with either.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Many analysts have said that Cousins isnt a guy that can carry a team by himself but can be very good on a good team. I tend to agree. Many are judging Cousins off of what he did in Washington (which is the only thing we can judge him off anyways) but he's also never had a defense to back him up like we do. His best WRs were in 2016 which was Garcon and Jackson which are nowhere near the talent of Thielen and Diggs. I would say when healthy Reed is better than Rudy but Rudy is no slouch by any means. And he has had nowhere near the running back we do in Dalvin Cook. Along with a fairly decent (soon to get better) OL.

The more I think about it, if we can land Cousins on a team that is already loaded PLUS have the draft which Spielman and Zim have been doing a great job with, this team is only going to get better. This draft is only going to make this team even better. I would think both the defense and OL gets better after this offseason and even some other areas. I've honestly never been more excited for an offseason than this one.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Uh. How can this logic apply to Case but not Foles? Foles didn't just take his team to the NFC Championship, he won MVP in the fr**gin Superbowl. Any backup that does that...
Nick Foles also didn’t play an entire season. Not even close actually. Case played from week 2 on. Does anyone really believe the eagles are 13-3 with Foles all year and winning the SB? I don’t see it. Wentz was the heart and soul of that team early in the year

Foles career passer rating and touchdown to interception ratio is better than Keenum's. His best year was also better than Keenum's was this year. I think if anything, Foles career could be a predictor of what Keenum's future might be. Keenum I think is an above average back up QB like Foles, but there's not enough sustained success for me to want to give him 20 mil a year and hand him the keys to the Vikings offense. The Vikings, through bad luck and poor planning, are in a situation where they may have to pay Keenum. I'd be interested to see how many career back ups have become starters and maintained long term success.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

Well it also looks like we are going to let Teddy hit free agency also. So, Keenum and Teddy and Bradford all hit free agency. That leaves us in going position to go all in for Cousins. But I am wondering if it's a mistake to let Teddy hit free agency. We still could make him stay another year and if we do get Cousins we will still need a solid backup. And if Cousins decides to go somewhere else we still have someone on the roster for DeFilipo to work with.

So color me a bit nervous about this.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Why?

A man has a girlfriend who is an 8.5, and who does so much for you, then you dump her because you think you might get a 9? "might"

dump Case
hope for Kirk
...neither is a 10, but there aren't that many QB versions of a "Jane Seymour" who has been a 10 his entire football QB life.

Addendum: Pick your version of a "10" in women, and insert! Mine's Jane Seymore...Doh!

...wisdom?
...spirits in the wind and the trees
JSB
Waterboy

Post by JSB »

Welcome to the active side of the board! :welcome

Why do you think signing Cousins would be a bad move? If we can sign him for say 6-8 million more a year than Keenum, I think it justifies the gap in talent between the two. Honestly, though, I would be fine with either.[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome!

I just think Cousins is an average QB that throws a lot and gets sacked a whole lot. Oh and he also Fumbles a whole bunch! 13 times last year. Case 1. Arguably he isn't as good as Keenum. I honestly think Kirk just isn't that good and think it is funny he could possibly become the highest paid QB in the league. Ridiculous in my opinion. Sure, there is an argument that Washington's D was bad and that is why Washington couldn't make the playoffs. Cousins just makes mistakes and he is less accurate then Keenum. All I saw was how Keenum isn't accurate etc.. on this board throughout the year but I believe that was just people's emotional comments during games. Sure Cousins has a stronger arm but who cares. Their arm strength is close enough. It's like if you have 1 million dollars or 1 million and 1ooK. Case Proved he can throw outs well enough all season. I mean people say he was inaccurate passer but the facts are he was extremely accurate even when he was forced out of the pocket.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JSB wrote:
I just think Cousins is an average QB that throws a lot and gets sacked a whole lot.
Really? Because outside of this year he was sacked 23 times in 2016 and 26 times in 2015. He was sacked 41 times this year because his OL was horrid. TJ Clemmings was starting at one point so that goes to show how bad they were. Case was sacked 22 times this year. So that is right around what Cousins was at every year until this past year. I dont think say he "gets sacked alot" is fair or carries any meaning to it.

Arguably he isn't as good as Keenum.
Not sure what you're basing that off of. The reason everyone is skeptical about Keenum is the fact that he has done literally nothing in his career other than be below average. Cousins is throwing more than 25 TDs a year and over 4,000 yards. And no not just because he "throws alot". He had the 8th most attempts in the league this year. I would say that is right around average. Especially since many QBs below him either werent that good or missed games. Lets put it this way, if Case Keenun played week 1 and the first half of Chicago in week 5, he would've been right where Cousins is at when it comes to attempts. So again saying "he throws alot" carries little to no weight.

Sure, there is an argument that Washington's D was bad and that is why Washington couldn't make the playoffs.
Yeah their defense was awful. Simple as that. Look at the teams in the conferences championships this year. All legit defenses outside of NE (they are a whole different animal)

Cousins just makes mistakes and he is less accurate then Keenum.
Again.... where is this coming from? You're basing this off of one season. Do you know that Case's CAREER completion percentage is 61.9 which is actually inflated because of this year. Outside of this year his comp percentage is 58.5 which is awful. Kirk's completion percentage for his career is 65.5 and 67% over the last 3 years. Enough said
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
JSB
Waterboy

Post by JSB »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
JSB wrote:
I just think Cousins is an average QB that throws a lot and gets sacked a whole lot.
Really? Because outside of this year he was sacked 23 times in 2016 and 26 times in 2015. He was sacked 41 times this year because his OL was horrid. TJ Clemmings was starting at one point so that goes to show how bad they were. Case was sacked 22 times this year. So that is right around what Cousins was at every year until this past year. I dont think say he "gets sacked alot" is fair or carries any meaning to it.

Arguably he isn't as good as Keenum.
Not sure what you're basing that off of. The reason everyone is skeptical about Keenum is the fact that he has done literally nothing in his career other than be below average. Cousins is throwing more than 25 TDs a year and over 4,000 yards. And no not just because he "throws alot". He had the 8th most attempts in the league this year. I would say that is right around average. Especially since many QBs below him either werent that good or missed games. Lets put it this way, if Case Keenun played week 1 and the first half of Chicago in week 5, he would've been right where Cousins is at when it comes to attempts. So again saying "he throws alot" carries little to no weight.

Sure, there is an argument that Washington's D was bad and that is why Washington couldn't make the playoffs.
Yeah their defense was awful. Simple as that. Look at the teams in the conferences championships this year. All legit defenses outside of NE (they are a whole different animal)

Cousins just makes mistakes and he is less accurate then Keenum.
Again.... where is this coming from? You're basing this off of one season. Do you know that Case's CAREER completion percentage is 61.9 which is actually inflated because of this year. Outside of this year his comp percentage is 58.5 which is awful. Kirk's completion percentage for his career is 65.5 and 67% over the last 3 years. Enough said
Appreciate your opinion and time shall tell which opinion is correct. I just think bringing cousins is a mistake. He is 9-7, 8-7-1 and 9-7 last three seasons. While he is a good QB middle of the road to possibly better than, just average. But no way Minnesota should make him the highest paid QB in the League or even close to highest like the pundits are saying he will command. Same for Keenum in terms of pay. I agree not to Franchise Keenum as that is a hefty hit on the salary cap and I want to see another year from him before Minnesota pays him big money. But if they played their cards right they could have (and maybe still will) signed him to a sensible deal of around 10M for next year with team options for future years that pay him big money if he proves himself. I think they are in a good position to save money by keeping Keenum instead of locking up some other avg QB like Cousins for huge money that inhibits them from adding stud O-line and D-line and depth on both sides of the ball. I'd rather play on Keenum's willingness to play for vikes and spend all that available money at other positions.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Eric Thompson@eric_j_thompson
2h2 hours ago

Fun with stats:

Kirk Cousins has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25 TDs with an INT percentage under 2.5% each of the past three seasons.

The #Vikings have had three such seasons in their 57 years of being an NFL franchise.

(2004 Culpepper, 2009 Favre, and...1995 Warren Moon.)
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

@JSB

I get what you’re saying. I just think Cousins is better than what you’re giving him credit for. Highest paid QB? No. But I would say top 10 especially when he’s on a good team

Cousins is very similar to Stafford. Good QB that can’t carry the wait and on a mediocre to bad team. If you look at their stats they’re virtually identical. Playoff history is similar. Records are probably worse for Stafford.

Would you not want Stafford on this loaded team? Looking at his record doesn’t tell me much because no team he was on was anywhere near the talent of this roster. Case Keenum out of all QBs succeeded with this team. If he can Cousins can IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:Eric Thompson@eric_j_thompson
2h2 hours ago

Fun with stats:

Kirk Cousins has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25 TDs with an INT percentage under 2.5% each of the past three seasons.

The #Vikings have had three such seasons in their 57 years of being an NFL franchise.

(2004 Culpepper, 2009 Favre, and...1995 Warren Moon.)
Wow :shock:
-Chazz Palminteri
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

The question is, is Cousins $150 million dollars good? I think it might come down to us and Denver--to the highest bidder.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

"Highest paid" is a misnomer when there's an inflationary cap. Not a single year goes by that X player is now the highest paid at this position. Until the next contract comes up, and that person is the highest paid.

The way I look at it is by asking oneself how often does someone of similar value come up in free agency. For a QB, it's very rare that an above average to good QB comes on the market that isn't in their twilight years. The Vikings shouldn't pay something so outrageous as to detrimentally impact future seasons but I'm fine with making him the most highest paid for the next 15 minutes.

When is the last time we've had stability at the QB position? Serious stability. As in the same guy play every game in back to back seasons? We have a legitimate shot to solidify the most important position on the football field. I think it's worth the risk, god knows we've tried every other method under the sun without success.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Star Tribune reports that Teddy Bridgewater's contract will not toll. He will become a free agent, according to league sources.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-tedd ... 475297223/