Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Next years QB

Post by Texas Vike »

I think the fact that Bradford got the nod ahead of Teddy to back up Case in the playoffs revealed Zimmer's evaluation of his talents. Even though he previously seemed a bit biased in Teddy's favor, that is pretty telling IMO. I fear that his knee is just not all the way back yet.

I agree, though, that using the word 'bum' for a guy like Teddy is super out of line. The guy has been the perfect team-first, high character soldier that anyone would want at the position.

My best guess is that it will be Cousins or Case. Foles seems less likely, given he'd take a draft pick and we're running low on them. Interesting observations on Sloter, S197.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I think the fact that Bradford got the nod ahead of Teddy to back up Case in the playoffs revealed Zimmer's evaluation of his talents. Even though he previously seemed a bit biased in Teddy's favor, that is pretty telling IMO. I fear that his knee is just not all the way back yet.
It probably isn't but that might speak more to Zimmer's opinion of Bridgewater's readiness at the time. Bradford had played in games much more recently than Bridgewater so that may have been a determining factor in activating him for the postseason over Bridgewater.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:I think the fact that Bradford got the nod ahead of Teddy to back up Case in the playoffs revealed Zimmer's evaluation of his talents. Even though he previously seemed a bit biased in Teddy's favor, that is pretty telling IMO. I fear that his knee is just not all the way back yet.
It probably isn't but that might speak more to Zimmer's opinion of Bridgewater's readiness at the time. Bradford had played in games much more recently than Bridgewater so that may have been a determining factor in activating him for the postseason over Bridgewater.

Do you mean "meaningful snaps"? Because I'm pretty sure that the reverse is true: Teddy had played more recently than Sam.

Either way, I'd be uneasy tying our yoke to either of them due to the questionable health of their knees. On the other hand, IIRC Case overcame a torn ACL too, it's just not as recent as Teddy's and he seems to have made a more complete recovery than Sam.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Do you mean "meaningful snaps"? Because I'm pretty sure that the reverse is true: Teddy had played more recently than Sam.
Yes, I meant meaningful playing time. I didn't think Bridgewater's appearance was meaningful in football terms, although on a personal level, it was obviously huge for him.
Either way, I'd be uneasy tying our yoke to either of them due to the questionable health of their knees. On the other hand, IIRC Case overcame a torn ACL too, it's just not as recent as Teddy's and he seems to have made a more complete recovery than Sam.
None of them are ideal options going forward. Based on the criteria the new OC put forward, I think Case makes the most sense of the 3. New OC John DeFilippo emphasized character as the most important trait in a QB, followed by decision-making, timing and accuracy. Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford all strike me as QBs with strong character. I think Bradford has the best timing and accuracy of that trio but DeFilippo seems to want a mobile QB and that's not Bradford.

I'm hoping the Vikes move on from Bridgewater. I don't see that he offers anything Keenum doesn't and the latter showed a more aggressive nature, which I think paid off for the offense. Bradford's a high risk choice too because of his injury history so if they keep him, they need a strong backup. He clearly has the most arm talent of the 3.

I'm not sold on the idea of breaking the bank for Cousins or making what would likely be an expensive trade to acquire Foles and sign him to a new deal.

The Vikes are in an odd spot.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:Do you mean "meaningful snaps"? Because I'm pretty sure that the reverse is true: Teddy had played more recently than Sam.
Yes, I meant meaningful playing time. I didn't think Bridgewater's appearance was meaningful in football terms, although on a personal level, it was obviously huge for him.
None of them are ideal options going forward. Based on the criteria the new OC put forward, I think Case makes the most sense of the 3. New OC John DeFilippo emphasized character as the most important trait in a QB, followed by decision-making, timing and accuracy. Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford all strike me as QBs with strong character. I think Bradford has the best timing and accuracy of that trio but DeFilippo seems to want a mobile QB and that's not Bradford.

I'm hoping the Vikes move on from Bridgewater. I don't see that he offers anything Keenum doesn't and the latter showed a more aggressive nature, which I think paid off for the offense. Bradford's a high risk choice too because of his injury history so if they keep him, they need a strong backup. He clearly has the most arm talent of the 3.

I'm not sold on the idea of breaking the bank for Cousins or making what would likely be an expensive trade to acquire Foles and sign him to a new deal.

I agree. I think, if nothing else, Case proved he can win games and make plays. I said before wheat I like anout him is he let's his receivers make plays. He gives them a chance. He throws it 20 yards down fiest on 3rd and 19. I like his aggressive style.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I agree. I think, if nothing else, Case proved he can win games and make plays. I said before wheat I like anout him is he let's his receivers make plays. He gives them a chance. He throws it 20 yards down fiest on 3rd and 19. I like his aggressive style.

His 'aggressive style' was the turning point in the Championship game (IMO of course). That first INT he threw was late, into triple coverage, and off target. When I read what Cliff posted, I immediately thought Case did not fit. 3 most important attributes: Decision making, timing and accuracy. Case is a gunslinger. He will always have that mentality. Some people like that. I'm pretty sure Zimmer doesn't. That's why he'd rather go with someone else I believe. What the Vikings need is an accurate passer, doesn't take unnecessary risks, and can make plays when needed.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

808vikingsfan wrote:His 'aggressive style' was the turning point in the Championship game (IMO of course). That first INT he threw was late, into triple coverage, and off target. When I read what Cliff posted, I immediately thought Case did not fit. 3 most important attributes: Decision making, timing and accuracy. Case is a gunslinger. He will always have that mentality. Some people like that. I'm pretty sure Zimmer doesn't. That's why he'd rather go with someone else I believe. What the Vikings need is an accurate passer, doesn't take unnecessary risks, and can make plays when needed.
He was hit as he threw the ball. How is that possibly his fault?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Raptorman wrote:The real question is how does Philly keep Foles? Currently they are somewhere between $9-11 million over the cap. By 4PM on March 14th they have to be under the cap. How they do that is going to be interesting.
We had a shot at getting Foles for a backup a few years ago. But for some reason we snoozed and Kanas City picked him up for their backup.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

halfgiz wrote:
Raptorman wrote:The real question is how does Philly keep Foles? Currently they are somewhere between $9-11 million over the cap. By 4PM on March 14th they have to be under the cap. How they do that is going to be interesting.
We had a shot at getting Foles for a backup a few years ago. But for some reason we snoozed and Kanas City picked him up for their backup.
We wouldn't have had a chance at Foles. He was going to retire, but his buddy Andy Reid called him and convinced him to be KC's backup.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote: None of them are ideal options going forward. Based on the criteria the new OC put forward, I think Case makes the most sense of the 3. New OC John DeFilippo emphasized character as the most important trait in a QB, followed by decision-making, timing and accuracy. Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford all strike me as QBs with strong character. I think Bradford has the best timing and accuracy of that trio but DeFilippo seems to want a mobile QB and that's not Bradford.

His 'aggressive style' was the turning point in the Championship game (IMO of course). That first INT he threw was late, into triple coverage, and off target. When I read what Cliff posted, I immediately thought Case did not fit. 3 most important attributes: Decision making, timing and accuracy. Case is a gunslinger. He will always have that mentality. Some people like that. I'm pretty sure Zimmer doesn't. That's why he'd rather go with someone else I believe. What the Vikings need is an accurate passer, doesn't take unnecessary risks, and can make plays when needed.
He was hit as he threw the ball. How is that possibly his fault?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I retract my statement. I watched it again. Yeah, can't fault Keenum for that. Thielen looked open too. Still, I think he takes too many risks for Zimmer's liking.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

They will go with the worst option of all Teddy because they can get him on the cheap. And, since this guy helped Wentz and Carr I believe that will be his role. What were his passing statistics again when he started a full season, 15 passing TD's in 16 games? And don't forget 4 of them came in one game by itself. He is a horrible, weak armed QB with durability issues I'd rather give Case 35 million for one year than put Bridgewater at the helm. It will be a disaster if we do.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:They will go with the worst option of all Teddy because they can get him on the cheap. And, since this guy helped Wentz and Carr I believe that will be his role. What were his passing statistics again when he started a full season, 15 passing TD's in 16 games? And don't forget 4 of them came in one game by itself. He is a horrible, weak armed QB with durability issues I'd rather give Case 35 million for one year than put Bridgewater at the helm. It will be a disaster if we do.
Dam dude, I have never seen so much hate for 1 player. I coundnt stand Ponder and hated McNabb. I posted a lot of negative stuff about McNabb and his bounce passes (and the fact Childress had nothing to do with his success) here, and got banned for it. But why do you have so much hate for Teddy? :deadhorse: He hasnt had any time yet to prove himself. Even the greats took more then a couple years to show. And all this hate was before Teddy screwed up his knee/leg. I dont think Teddy isnt the answer either, when Case and Cousins might be options, but I love the guy and think he can be a good QB. But the Vikings need a GOOD QB for a change. And they need to have someone other then Slotter as the 3rd string (and hope to god he isnt the backup, cause he has showed nothing since hes been here other then the Vikings have a hard time with the QB spot).
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I don’t know if TB will be on the roster on day one next year, but I do know that right before he was hurt, he looked dynamite. That 3rd preseason game he played in was a very good performance and we all thought our long term QB problems had been solved.
Now, I don’t see him in practice, so I myself, can not evaluate him. But the powers that make those decisions, have been.
I think if they really are convinced that he is ready to go, they should sign him and sign Case or Cousins and have an open competition.
I admit, I love TB and would love this great kid to lead us back to a super bowl, but I want us to win formost so I just want every opportunity to do that. I think having TB going forward will give us a better chance to understand if he really is the better choice. I’m dying to know if TB is better than Cousins. I think it would be close, and if it is, at least we gave TB a shot and he could easily be traded if Cousins wins the competition.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I'm more excited about bringing back Bradford or Keenum or even signing Cousins, but just went back and watched Teddy's 2016 preseason. He definitely looked like he was progressing more into a franchise QB. His deep ball was improved and he seemed more aggressive/trusted his receivers more. That could have been the fact that it was preseason, but if he picked up where he left off from the 2016 preseason along with him working on his football IQ and arm strength during his recovery, he could still be the future.

I don't think we can even look at 2014 and 2015 stats for Teddy to predict future Teddy because he looked like he was turning into a new QB in 2016, basically the entire offense is different now (besides Diggs who already had great chemistry with Teddy), and we have a brand new OC who has been great with young QBs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

TSonn wrote:I'm more excited about bringing back Bradford or Keenum or even signing Cousins, but just went back and watched Teddy's 2016 preseason. He definitely looked like he was progressing more into a franchise QB. His deep ball was improved and he seemed more aggressive/trusted his receivers more. That could have been the fact that it was preseason, but if he picked up where he left off from the 2016 preseason along with him working on his football IQ and arm strength during his recovery, he could still be the future.

I don't think we can even look at 2014 and 2015 stats for Teddy to predict future Teddy because he looked like he was turning into a new QB in 2016, basically the entire offense is different now (besides Diggs who already had great chemistry with Teddy), and we have a brand new OC who has been great with young QBs.
But you're only looking at preseason. TJack had great preseason too. I just don't get it.