Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Next years QB

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I wonder what A.J. McCarron would be like with a good OC and QB coach. I liked him a lot coming out of college, but he hasnt showed much since. But with good Oline play and the receivers we have, he might be ok to good here. I personally dont see the Vikings ever having an elite QB. I think its part of the Vikings curse.
Not many teams have an elite QB. It's not just the Vikings.

The reason the Vikings won't get a #1 QB in the draft is because they always field a pretty respectable team. I heard a stat that the Vikings are #4 in wins since the era of the Superbowl. Can't complain too much with that kind of record.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:Kirk Cousins won't come at a reasonable price, and yes he is 500 times better than Teddy and his high school passing touchdown statistics. He is a joke; but he is who they will go with only because our head coach is more focused on his beloved defense (who were a complete embarassment against Philly) because he wants to extend Barr, Kendricks, and Waynes. Well, that is what it comes down to I guess, go after a REAL quarterback, and lose at least one if not 2 of those defensive players, or I suppose sign all 3 so we can give up 38 unanswered points again next year. We are foolish not to go all in for Cousins. Zimmer knows how to draft defense he will find another linebacker and corner. The choice is obvious to me.
You were saying the same thing about Foles. Man are you full of hate and stupid comments. Back on ignore, your comments are like the whats what of how not to post on a forum.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:I wonder what A.J. McCarron would be like with a good OC and QB coach. I liked him a lot coming out of college, but he hasnt showed much since. But with good Oline play and the receivers we have, he might be ok to good here. I personally dont see the Vikings ever having an elite QB. I think its part of the Vikings curse.
Not many teams have an elite QB. It's not just the Vikings.

The reason the Vikings won't get a #1 QB in the draft is because they always field a pretty respectable team. I heard a stat that the Vikings are #4 in wins since the era of the Superbowl. Can't complain too much with that kind of record.
You sure can complain. They lost 4 SBs in the 70s and havent been back since. Doesnt mean you cant still love them and be a fan.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

You'd think if McCarron was any good he would have supplanted Dalton by now.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

720pete wrote:You'd think if McCarron was any good he would have supplanted Dalton by now.
Not really. Dalton has always been considered #1 and all the first round reps. He doesnt go into camp thinking hes the #2, nor do the coaches. If we tried AJ out, I would imagine he would be considered our #1 (unless we still have Case, Cousins, something like that. Tell AJ its his to lose.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

mosscarter wrote:Kirk Cousins won't come at a reasonable price, and yes he is 500 times better than Teddy and his high school passing touchdown statistics. He is a joke; but he is who they will go with only because our head coach is more focused on his beloved defense (who were a complete embarassment against Philly) because he wants to extend Barr, Kendricks, and Waynes. Well, that is what it comes down to I guess, go after a REAL quarterback, and lose at least one if not 2 of those defensive players, or I suppose sign all 3 so we can give up 38 unanswered points again next year. We are foolish not to go all in for Cousins. Zimmer knows how to draft defense he will find another linebacker and corner. The choice is obvious to me.

How has that philosophy of having a high priced QB at the expense of other position worked out for the
Seahawks, Packers, Lions, Ravens, saints, Colts, etc. Etc. Football is a team sport. Sometimes the WRs make the QBs look better than they really are, sometimes it's coaching and scheme. Some QBs are awesome with one set of coaching and average with another. It's not as simple as saying throw the most money at the best available option and the perceived best available option doesn't always yeild the best results.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Slick Rick wrote: Okay, so if you're going to question whether we know what Teddy can do based off of (lol) one performance that included, what, two pass attempts? Yeah, well what do we make of Bradford's poor performance against Chicago where Case Keenum came in and basically snatched the starting job right out of his hands by doing what Sam couldn't do which is drive the ball on Chicago's fairly mediocre defense. What do we make of Keenum himself being relatively inconsistent throughout his career and having his worst performance in the biggest game of his career against Philly. Finally, there's Kirk, who I don't believe has ever even played in a postseason game, let alone won one.

I'm not saying that Bridgewater is the solution, I think that's way too conservative, and I'd bet Spielman is a little bit more aggressive than that now that we're in a positions where we know what we have and that we're at our window of opportunity where we could be competing for Super Bowls right now. At the same time, he's always been viable and I don't think the Vikings would be talking about bringing him back if they thought he was a significant injury risk or that his injury was going to somehow prevent him from playing. It feels like they want him to come back and be a good insurance policy in case Keenum (intended), Cousins, Bradford or whoever does get hurt that we'll have someone who's fairly reliable to back them up.
Out of what I posted, all you saw was the stuff about the Cincy game? :lol: I was using the "happy feet" thing as an example. Is he going to be shaky in the pocket because of the injury?

And I truly think it's hilarious that you're using Bradfords game vs Chicago as part of this argument. He literally couldnt walk. And Keenum snatched the starting job right out of his hands?? lol. Bradford wasnt near healthy at the time, so who else was going to start?? Kyle Sloter? Bradford would've continued to be the starter if he was healthy by week 5 but he wasnt.

As for Cousins, you're ignoring the rest of the Redskins team and how bad they were and using that against Cousins. Bottom barrel defense since Cousins took over, 28th in rushing this past year, had a #1 WR of Pryor/Crowder, had a bad OL and was missing his best player in Jordan Reed most of the year. But yeah I cant believe Kirk Cousins didnt make the playoffs this year. :confused:

And they did make the playoffs. In 2015 and caught the packers in the first round. The Redskins won the division. Cousins threw for 329 and no turnovers and their awful defense gave up 35 points.

As for Teddy, yeah, I would be all for bringing him back as a backup. But to just rely on him being the starter going into next year is as dumb as dumb gets IMO. But is he a viable starter, we still do not know.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
720pete wrote:Can you imagine taking a time machine back 6 months and telling people we'd be debating over Case Keenum or Nick Foles as potential 2018 starting QBs? What a crazy year!
I like how people don't trust case after 16 games but they trust Foles after like 5.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Yeah thats quite a knee slapper :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:

Not sure if I would call DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Crowder, and Davis nothing.

But hey, I'm wit choo. I'll be happy if the Vikings can get Kirk for a reasonable price. But 500 times better than Bridgewater? Come on. He was a legitimate starter and still may be if healthly.
He didnt have Jackson or Garcon this year. Their WRs were horrid.

As for Teddy, was he a legit starter? 28 TDs and 23 INTs in his first two seasons?? Sounds pretty average to me.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I wouldnt necessarily say that regarding Zimmer. Everyone kept saying Spielman cant draft OL, Spielman cant find a good backup QB, Zimmer will never have a good offense, Zimmer only picks defensive guys in early rounds, etc. Zimmer isnt an idiot, he knows we're a good QB away from a SB. I dont see him wasting that opportunity
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
You were saying the same thing about Foles. Man are you full of hate and stupid comments. Back on ignore, your comments are like the whats what of how not to post on a forum.
Whew, and you say I'm overly aggressive on here :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Not sure if I would call DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Crowder, and Davis nothing.

But hey, I'm wit choo. I'll be happy if the Vikings can get Kirk for a reasonable price. But 500 times better than Bridgewater? Come on. He was a legitimate starter and still may be if healthly.
He didnt have Jackson or Garcon this year. Their WRs were horrid.

As for Teddy, was he a legit starter? 28 TDs and 23 INTs in his first two seasons?? Sounds pretty average to me.
Point of fact. Brett Favre first two seasons. 37 Tds, 37 Interception. Sounds pretty average to me. His second season, 19 TD's 24 Interceptions.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Raptorman wrote:
Point of fact. Brett Favre first two seasons. 37 Tds, 37 Interception. Sounds pretty average to me. His second season, 19 TD's 24 Interceptions.
Ok? You can say the same about Peyton Manning too. Neither of those guys nearly lost their leg to an injury early in their career either. Bottom line is, you dont just walk into next season with Teddy as a starter. He was average to begin with and is coming off a major injury. Could he be great? Sure. But you dont risk a teams SB chances by relying on him either.

Lets put it this way, out of the 5 QB we've discussed, does Teddy Bridgewater give this team the BEST chance to win a SB? The answer is no. And that's what needs to be our mindset going into this. Who gives us the best chance to win a SB? IMO it's Kirk Cousins.

By no means am I a Teddy hater. I love the guy. But I've just never seen a QB get so much praise for doing so little and being so average. No less he just recovered from an injury that nearly cost him his career. There shouldnt be a single soul out there that's confident in him until he proves otherwise.

Some guys legit hate Sam Bradford who is 10 times the passer Teddy is but loves Teddy because he's...Teddy. Guys give excuses for Teddy not having a good OL, etc. Sam Bradford had just as bad of an OL and literally 0 run game. "Well Sam Bradford cant stay healthy".....Teddy Bridgewater can?? Come on.

There are times I'm a huge homer and I do love Teddy but this front office has lost their mind if they think Teddy should be our starter next year.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
720pete wrote:Can you imagine taking a time machine back 6 months and telling people we'd be debating over Case Keenum or Nick Foles as potential 2018 starting QBs? What a crazy year!
I like how people don't trust case after 16 games but they trust Foles after like 5.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Yeah thats quite a knee slapper :lol:
So how can you explain the trust in Garoppolo with only 7 career starts?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Raptorman wrote:
Ok? You can say the same about Peyton Manning too. Neither of those guys nearly lost their leg to an injury early in their career either. Bottom line is, you dont just walk into next season with Teddy as a starter. He was average to begin with and is coming off a major injury. Could he be great? Sure. But you dont risk a teams SB chances by relying on him either.

Lets put it this way, out of the 5 QB we've discussed, does Teddy Bridgewater give this team the BEST chance to win a SB? The answer is no. And that's what needs to be our mindset going into this. Who gives us the best chance to win a SB? IMO it's Kirk Cousins.

By no means am I a Teddy hater. I love the guy. But I've just never seen a QB get so much praise for doing so little and being so average. No less he just recovered from an injury that nearly cost him his career. There shouldnt be a single soul out there that's confident in him until he proves otherwise.

Some guys legit hate Sam Bradford who is 10 times the passer Teddy is but loves Teddy because he's...Teddy. Guys give excuses for Teddy not having a good OL, etc. Sam Bradford had just as bad of an OL and literally 0 run game. "Well Sam Bradford cant stay healthy".....Teddy Bridgewater can?? Come on.

There are times I'm a huge homer and I do love Teddy but this front office has lost their mind if they think Teddy should be our starter next year.
I'll laugh like hell if Teddy goes to another team and brings them to the Super Bowl.

FWIW, Since 2012 Sam Bradford has thrown 41+ yards 18 times and completed 6 of them for a 33% completion percentage. However, not one of those passes came as a Viking.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966