Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rock45
Rookie

Re: Next years QB

Post by Rock45 »

Laserman wrote:No team, not even the Browns will want Teddy as a Starting QB.
Agreed.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

London Viking wrote:Interesting to see what happens with Case now, I think I would be against investing in him for multiple years on a big contract as we don't know how he's going to get on without shurmur being there and even though it's going to be a big chunk of cash for a 1 year deal tagging him could make sense as over the course of the season he does deserve to have a shot at leading this side next year. despite the playoff wobbles.

I think Bradford is probably done now, his knees are shot you can't trust when he's going to break down next plus he's made a fortune out of the game over the years for well being injured for most of it. i'd be surprised to see him settle for back up money somewhere and I can't see a team paying him to be their starter in 18'

It would be great to keep Teddy to be a back up to case and with a full training camp and pre season games under his belt see if he still properly has it after 2 years out.

Obviously the new OC may have a big say in these decisions

ideal scenario
tag case
re sign teddy on a small deal
release sam
Not sure if I'd tag Case or sign Teddy but I agree with releasing Sam. Unfortunate too really because I thought Sam could be a top 10 qb and likely approach the top 5 with a healthy year. Damn the luck.
suncoastvike
Practice Squad

Post by suncoastvike »

I believe we should resign Case. He's not the prefect QB but he is gutty and a gamer. We need to add more pieces to a thin OL and roll with him. In a prefect world Sam would be the guy. He is the most championship ready guy we've had in a long while. However great arm, terrible knee. It was a shame he career went like it has. He will always be defined by the fact he was the last of the big payday rookies. People have beaten him down for the money he made. He hasn't earned all of it but he earned more then alot of them. Teddy I'll be honest never inspired me. Too afraid of himself to be a true gamer. If you don't try and force tight windows you will never be successful. He plays too safe for me. Not sold on this tremendous upside I've heard of. That and his bad knee has yet to be tested. If they could toll his contract. Bring him back as Case's backup. If he truly has taken the next step he will have his chance to show it.
''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

I feel like if they went back to Teddy it would be a wasted year. He could not make quick decisions back there and took too many sacks. Keenum was a one year wonder, and Cousins would be a lot of money spent on a guy who also takes way too many sacks and is loose with the ball. He’s closer to Cutler than he is to being the missing piece. Bradford will never make it through a full season and they need to move on there as well.

If it comes down to one or the other, I think they will go with Teddy for less money and possibly just sign someone like McCown as a backup. That would be easier to move on from if it doesn’t work out (likely). Need to draft qbs both this year and next, or perhaps Sloter turns into a viable backup or future starter.

Throwing a big contract at Keenum is not the right thing to do. That would be like what the Bears did with Glennon. I like the guy and he helped us this year, but he is a fill in guy, not a franchise type qb. We may never get one of those.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

kidfozzy. wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:To say we should let case walk and let teddy take over is a joke. You have trust in Teddy who’s done nothing special with this team and we have no idea if he can’t even play worth a damn but we wanna give up on the guy that brought us to the NFC championship? Seriously? I don’t get it. I’m done for the night

If we franchise tag Keenum for over $16 million next season, I will be livid. We need to extend our defensive players.
First, the franchise tag for quarterbacks will be about $23 million, not $16 million. I guess that means you'll pop a blood vessel in your brain.

Second, we have more than $60 million in cap space. This is EXACTLY the time we should invest in the quarterback we want.

If that's Case, I'll back the team. Will you? If that's somebody else like Kirk Cousins, I'll still back the team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Raz wrote:Something changed down the stretch and in the playoffs case got more conservative less mobile or something the big or explosive or lucky plays went down. Personally I think it was the coaches pulling it in
I agree. The coaches got scared. You could see it in the Chicago game. It was a totally different offense. They lost their aggression. I think Shurmur let his new fame go to his head.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The offense looked like Shurmur had already checked out and left town. I predict he will fail in New York.

Look a Philly’s play calling in this game. That was a clinic and it made Shurmur look like an amateur.

I hope Darrell Bevell stays away. Want no part of that mess again.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I Like Alex Smith, but as far as the playoffs are concerned , I wouldn't exactly call him a winner. Not the Answer. Didn't do much in San Fran, Chiefs already drafted his replacement. See the writing on the wall.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

Case hit his high water mark this year. He's an elite backup or a middling starter. I'd be thrilled to keep him on a contract that is in line with what he is, but he may not take it.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote:Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

Case hit his high water mark this year. He's an elite backup or a middling starter. I'd be thrilled to keep him on a contract that is in line with what he is, but he may not take it.
I think there is enough need at QB in the league for someone to offer Case a starting deal. If the Vikes want to keep him, they'll have to do the same and I don't know if that is going to happen. He's had a great year, but his limitations started to show up in the playoffs and I'm not sure he's going to be able to repeat what he did this season, be it in Minnesota or elsewhere.

I'm not as sold on dumping Bradford. The injuries are a concern, but the guy is a natural talent who will dominate if he gets protection. That game to open the season against New Orleans was a taste of what he can do. It's definitely a risk, but Bradford is a top-10 QB when healthy. Maybe the Vikes can keep him for less than he might get elsewhere given his injury history.

As for Bridgewater, I think it says a lot that he was not the backup in the playoffs. The coaches know best where he's at in terms of his ability to play, and he would likely not get a big offer to play elsewhere during free agency given the unknowns surrounding his recovery, so he'd be the cheapest option. The main issue I have with Bridgewater is, even if he's healthy, is he a playmaker? Is he a guy who is going to be capable of doing what Nick Foles managed to do against the Vikings to actually win a game and not just manage it? Is he a QB who gets the team to 11-12 wins, but then can't or won't step up in the big games to take risks and make big plays? I think that's the kind of QB a team with a chance to get to and win a Superbowl needs to have.

All of the options have warts - the question is, which of the guys has the best risk-reward balance? To me that is clearly Bradford. Keenum, despite his year, regressed in the risk department in the playoffs, and is a distant second. Bridgewater isn't even on the same chart as the other two.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:Teddy/Sloter/draft pick.

And Teddy's a good starter?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: As for Bridgewater, I think it says a lot that he was not the backup in the playoffs. The coaches know best where he's at in terms of his ability to play, and he would likely not get a big offer to play elsewhere during free agency given the unknowns surrounding his recovery, so he'd be the cheapest option. The main issue I have with Bridgewater is, even if he's healthy, is he a playmaker? Is he a guy who is going to be capable of doing what Nick Foles managed to do against the Vikings to actually win a game and not just manage it? Is he a QB who gets the team to 11-12 wins, but then can't or won't step up in the big games to take risks and make big plays? I think that's the kind of QB a team with a chance to get to and win a Superbowl needs to have.
Exactly. I dont get all this, dump Case and keep Teddy bologna.

WE HAVE:

A guy that is 29, won the NFC North, lead us to a 13-3 record, just led us to the NFC championship as a backup and has no injury history. Also stat wise threw for 3500, 22 TDs and 7 INTs in 14.5 games

OR

A guy that is young but hasnt played meaningful football in 2 years, almost lost his leg to an injury, has yet to prove anything even when he was healthy, never won a playoff game, etc. He also has never hit 3500 yards, hasnt eclipsed 14 TDs in a season and threw more picks in both seasons than Case did this year.

Hello???? The choice couldnt be more obvious. I think we can retain both, but if we cant, it's gotta be Case.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think they should try to get Cousins or Eli Manning. Move on from everyone but Sloter and still draft one when talent meets draft slot. Everyone knows the future QB isn't here now so why waste time on any of them?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
VikingLord wrote: As for Bridgewater, I think it says a lot that he was not the backup in the playoffs. The coaches know best where he's at in terms of his ability to play, and he would likely not get a big offer to play elsewhere during free agency given the unknowns surrounding his recovery, so he'd be the cheapest option. The main issue I have with Bridgewater is, even if he's healthy, is he a playmaker? Is he a guy who is going to be capable of doing what Nick Foles managed to do against the Vikings to actually win a game and not just manage it? Is he a QB who gets the team to 11-12 wins, but then can't or won't step up in the big games to take risks and make big plays? I think that's the kind of QB a team with a chance to get to and win a Superbowl needs to have.
Exactly. I dont get all this, dump Case and keep Teddy bologna.

WE HAVE:

A guy that is 29, won the NFC North, lead us to a 13-3 record, just led us to the NFC championship as a backup and has no injury history. Also stat wise threw for 3500, 22 TDs and 7 INTs in 14.5 games

OR

A guy that is young but hasnt played meaningful football in 2 years, almost lost his leg to an injury, has yet to prove anything even when he was healthy, never won a playoff game, etc. He also has never hit 3500 yards, hasnt eclipsed 14 TDs in a season and threw more picks in both seasons than Case did this year.

Hello???? The choice couldnt be more obvious. I think we can retain both, but if we cant, it's gotta be Case.
Will be very interesting for sure but I am thinking I fall in your camp as far as what we should do. Id actually try to retain Case and Sam if possible (I know thats a stretch). Let Sloter learn the ropes for another year and see what we have.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote:Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.
Man I can't see any way Drew isn't a saint next year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.