Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Next years QB

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
halfgiz wrote:Here is what we know from the press: Teddy could end up signing with the Gaints or maybe Buffalo. Last resort maybe even the Browns....Wait he is going to be our starter. So many options.

Keenum is heading to Denver...Nope Cards. Wait we are going to sign him to a contract, never mind Keenum is getting tagged and then traded. Or maybe he is just getting tagged.

Sam is signing with us for a prove it deal. Wait we're cutting him...Sam is going to sign with the Cards.

QBs we could sign: Cousins, Tyrod Taylor, Bridgewater, Keenum, Foles and Bradford. :whistle:

Stay tune while we wait to see who we end up with.
This is the 3rd or 4th time Ive heard Taylor mentioned as a QB the Vikings might get. I guess I see the Bills needing a QB as much as anyone and they were willing to let him go. He just isnt that good, or consistent.

Teddy scares me a bit, like Sam does, I dont see the Vikes keeping Teddy at all, unless hes a real cheap backup or they fail on signing another QB. Rick knows by now the value of a QB is worth every penny, so hopefully Case or Cousins are available. Even though i would LOVE to see what Teddy can do, I dont think its worth giving up next season for, unless we have a really good prospect as a backup. The time to strike is now.

So glad the talk for Foles seems to have died down. Why would the Vikings give up good draft picks for a QB who had a few hot games at the end of the season after a playoff berth was secured? Cause hes been nothing special at all, I'd much rather have Case.

I think the ultimate person to decide who is our QB will be Flip. He is the type of guy who loves to study QB's. He might even be a guy to draft us a good QB after we get a DT and guard.
I think Foles is interesting. He'd be comfortable with Defilippo. He's tall, has an arm, good pocket presence. He has shown several times in his short career that he can perform at a high level. I think I'd be more willing to invest in him long term than I would with Case.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:Cousins can throw the ball at a higher velocity than Keenum but, I dont think he's is better than Bradford or Bridgewater except that you can argue that he's more durable.
You dont think Cousins is better than Bradford or Bridgewater?? Bradford is close to Cousins talent wise but Bridgewater?? Kirk Cousins is 50 times the QB Teddy is. And it's not even close
I'd take Cousins out of all them but 50 times better? Come on. Takes more than passing to make a good QB.

I can see Cousin's personality rub people the wrong way after a while.
Bradford was starting to look elite before the o-line broke down then he eventually broke.
Teddy may not be as accurate but can scramble and still went 11-5 with a bad o-line. He QB identity is unknown after being out for a while.
I like Case a lot. Like I said, it's just his throwing power that worries me.
Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a great QB but I dont think he'll be a huge improvement from what we already have.
Once we revive our run game, I believe Any one of those QBs can take all the way.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

You say you like Foles. If Flip wanted Foles for his QB, would we make a trade for Foles?
Who would/ could we trade?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

halfgiz wrote:808
You say you like Foles. If Flip wanted Foles for his QB, would we make a trade for Foles?
Honestly, I have no clue. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round? I'm just commenting since his name has popped up.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:Cousins can throw the ball at a higher velocity than Keenum but, I dont think he's is better than Bradford or Bridgewater except that you can argue that he's more durable.
You dont think Cousins is better than Bradford or Bridgewater?? Bradford is close to Cousins talent wise but Bridgewater?? Kirk Cousins is 50 times the QB Teddy is. And it's not even close
I'd take Cousins out of all them but 50 times better? Come on. Takes more than passing to make a good QB.

His personality is the last thing I’m worried about. Teddy wasn’t near Cousins talent before the injury let alone after the injury. It’s not even close
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:
Honestly, I have no clue. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round? I'm just commenting since his name has popped up.
Not a chance I’d give up either of those picks for Foles
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Bradford was starting to look elite before the o-line broke down then he eventually broke.
Teddy may not be as accurate but can scramble and still went 11-5 with a bad o-line. He QB identity is unknown after being out for a while.
Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a great QB but I dont think he'll be a huge improvement from what we already have.
Once we revive our run game, I believe Any one of those QBs can take all the way.
You say revive our running game but we had one of the better run games in the nfl this year. Teddy’s OL wasn’t nearly as bad as Bradford’s at one point and Teddy had an elite RB behind him. Bradford had arguably the worst running game in vikings history behind him.

Cousins is durable (you have Teddy and Bradford that are question marks there). Cousins is a great passer (better than Teddy and case). Cousins has been consistent (unlike the others). It’s an improvement. A pretty good sized one if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:You dont think Cousins is better than Bradford or Bridgewater?? Bradford is close to Cousins talent wise but Bridgewater?? Kirk Cousins is 50 times the QB Teddy is. And it's not even close

His personality is the last thing I’m worried about. Teddy wasn’t near Cousins talent before the injury let alone after the injury. It’s not even close
I'm on the opposite side. The way he'll mesh with this team is one of the more important things that concern me.

I mean if he's that good, why did the Redskins choose Smith?

Yes Kirk is durable, has a strong arm, and can throw for a bunch of yards. But that doesn't make a QB successful in this league. Did a quick look and found Cousins 3rd down percentage was 3rd worst in the NFC. Yeah WAS had a bad line last year but so did Bradford in 2016 and Bridgewater for his entire NFL career. There has to be some reason that would make a team like the Redskins give up on him.

Another quick search and found this. No clue if there's any truth to it

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/12/ ... ell-liked/

and then there's a soundFX clip where Kirk is yelling at his lineman questioning why he's not running to the huddle. Seems like he talks down to his players. Like I said, that could rub team mates the wrong way.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Not a chance I’d give up either of those picks for Foles
0 chance? Would you have given up a 2nd or 3rd for Garoppolo?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:I'm on the opposite side. The way he'll mesh with this team is one of the more important things that concern me.

Yes Kirk is durable, has a strong arm, and can throw for a bunch of yards. But that doesn't make a QB successful in this league. Did a quick look and found Cousins 3rd down percentage was 3rd worst in the NFC. Yeah WAS had a bad line last year but so did Bradford in 2016 and Bridgewater for his entire NFL career. There has to be some reason that would make a team like the Redskins give up on him.

and then there's a soundFX clip where Kirk is yelling at his lineman questioning why he's not running to the huddle. Seems like he talks down to his players. Like I said, that could rub team mates the wrong way.
OK, first of all, the writer of that article even admitted that all of a sudden there was this narrative about how Cousins isn't liked ... when a week before, nobody had ever said that about him.

Second, what the heck do Steve Smith and Marshall Faulk know? Are they in the Redskins' locker room? I guarantee you they're not. Former players offer little more than name cache in the studio. They don't do any legwork. They do almost no film study. They're on board for their names. I have never once heard Marshall Faulk offer an opinion with any more education than 3 dozen guys on this board could have given. Reporters like Adam Schefter and Jason LaConfora are the ones who do the heavy lifting when it comes to inside information. So far, they haven't reported anything close to this stuff.

I totally agree that whoever is the next quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings needs to be respected fully in that locker room. And if Cousins is a dooshbag, then I don't want him. But you know, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let the Vikings' front office and coaching staff perform their due diligence, and leave the stupid rumor-mongering to nitwits like Steve Smith.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Dmizzle0 wrote:
You say revive our running game but we had one of the better run games in the nfl this year. Teddy’s OL wasn’t nearly as bad as Bradford’s at one point and Teddy had an elite RB behind him. Bradford had arguably the worst running game in vikings history behind him.

Cousins is durable (you have Teddy and Bradford that are question marks there). Cousins is a great passer (better than Teddy and case). Cousins has been consistent (unlike the others). It’s an improvement. A pretty good sized one if you ask me
Our run game was barely top 10 hanks to Theilen and Diggs but it took a hit when Cooks went out. I thought he was the missing piece in the playoffs. Teddy got sacked more then Bradford(2016) when he went 11-5. I think it's easy to overlook him because we only seen two years from him. Like you said the run game was there but he didn't really have a standout receiver.
Cousins may be an improvement but I dont think it would show that much, although, I can see him throwing to Diggs more than Thielen. If you want to make the argument for durability then yea that's a huge improvement but idk I just think he's in the same tier as the QBs we have now. At the end of the day if the Vikings were to pick him up, I'd be okay with it, but I wouldn't be hyped. He should fit right in with our offense.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:

Our run game was barely top 10 hanks to Theilen and Diggs but it took a hit when Cooks went out. I thought he was the missing piece in the playoffs. Teddy got sacked more then Bradford(2016) when he went 11-5. I think it's easy to overlook him because we only seen two years from him. Like you said the run game was there but he didn't really have a standout receiver.
Cousins may be an improvement but I dont think it would show that much, although, I can see him throwing to Diggs more than Thielen. If you want to make the argument for durability then yea that's a huge improvement but idk I just think he's in the same tier as the QBs we have now. At the end of the day if the Vikings were to pick him up, I'd be okay with it, but I wouldn't be hyped. He should fit right in with our offense.
Teddy didn't have a standout receiver?
Diggs, Thielen,Wright, Rudy and Wallace. All them receivers are on our current roster except Wallace - Who the following year went on to have a 1000 yd season with another team.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:I'm on the opposite side. The way he'll mesh with this team is one of the more important things that concern me.

I mean all of that is up for debate. There is also this from Vernon Davis. If Cousins was an a-hole I dont think Davis wouldve been giving him this much praise.
“He’s a young guy in the league, and I think sometimes we forget about that, that he’s only been a starter for two years,” Davis said. “And with that being said, he’s doing all the right things. He’s doing all the right things. Guys in the locker room love him. They think he’s spectacular. I do, as well, because of what he does. He minimizes himself in the locker room; in practice and in games he stands out like a sore thumb.

“And that’s what great quarterbacks do. That’s what they do. I watch those things, and he’s putting his teammates first. He’s putting his teammates first. So that’s first and foremost. He’s growing, he’s evolving, so I’m excited about his career and excited about his future. I think he’s going to be a wonderful quarterback in this league.”
As for why the Redskins chose Smith.... because the Redskins are one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL. Cousins was a Shanahan guy. He was the one still pounding the table for him even after they drafted RGIII #2 overall that year. And who ended up making the right choice in the long run....Mike Shanahan. They just had a GM that ended up being a drunk that they had to fire. They've drafted horrible. Signed horrible. They kept franchising Cousins for goodness sake burning a ton of cap room. They are the epitome of a dysfunctional organization. What they did with Cousins means nothing to me. They have no chance to get to the SB let alone the playoffs with who they have and I can tell you Alex Smith isnt the one that is going to lead them there. They put nothing around Cousins. Literally. His WRs are awful (Crowder being the only halfway decent one), they had the 28th ranked rushing offense. And their defense has been at the bottom of the league since Cousins has been the starter there. And Cousins is still pulling near .500 records.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:
0 chance? Would you have given up a 2nd or 3rd for Garoppolo?
Easily. Jimmy G is a highly touted QB. Has been for a few years now. Nick Foles was a below average QB up until the final 6 games of the year. Those two arent even comparable
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:

Barely top 10?? Is that not good? Or am I missing something? Yeah of course it took a hit when Cook went down but it was still pretty good. It's not like our run game went from great to terrible.

As for the sacks. Lets not forget, the main issue many on here had with Teddy in 2015 is that he held onto the ball too long which caused that. We lost two games in the final drive due to him holding the ball too long (Denver and Arizona). Either way, it's not like Bradfords OL was any better than Teddys. Neither were good but given the fact that Sam has one of the better releases in the NFL and still gets sacked 37 times (most in his career) is pretty bad.

I dont see any way you compare Cousins to Teddy. Bradford if healthy? Possibly. Case? I'd say he's definitely below Cousins skill level but not a ton. But Teddy? There is no comparison and again we dont even know if Teddy is any good right now
-Chazz Palminteri