Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Next years QB

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:The Skins might Franchise Tag Cousins?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2231 ... rk-cousins
That would be the dumbest thing for a franchise to do since the Herschel Walker trade.

He’ll sign the tender (at $34 million, who wouldn’t?) and Washington will be try to trade him, but they’ll have zero leverage. If they can’t find a taker, they’ll have $58 million devoted to two players, only one of which can play.

Key word in Schefter’s reporting: Consider. They’ll consider it, but they’d be stupid to do it.
IF they are dumb enough to tag him, he should run as fast as he can and sign it. He has zero reason to come to a long term deal for a trade.

Edit. Actually, the more I think about it the better it would be for Cousins not to sign the tag. Then the Skins would be on the hook for the money for cap reasons and Cousins has all the control. Skins then would have to cut people to complete the trade with KC because they would not have the cap space for both QB's.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Thats the toughest road game schedule Ive ever seen or remember for the Vikings. And our first draft pick is #30. I hope Rick and his scouts are working overtime to make up for that god awful Bradford trade. Maybe a little less gambling on Ricks part, and instead of the super athletic players both Rick and Zim seem to like, we find the solid position players, especially the DT we need next to Linval, one of out best players, but he is getting old. Together a great tandem them will crush the running game, and maybe get some sacks. Hunter seems mostly invisible as did Griffin. Other then that batted ball when he was facing the wrong way to block the ball.

As far as QB's, I sometimes think im one of the few realists. Cousin will in no way, come cheap enough so we can keep our D strong over the next few years. I also think it will affect the Oline a lot. Cousins wants to be a 26+ millionaire for years to come. Maybe 30+ every year he is here. If its a few million a year difference between teams, he will chose the Vikes I think. But then who do we get as his backup when we have already spent so much on 1 position. No one has any idea on Slotter, if I were to guess, I would say the Vikings know very little about him. The Vikings are usually happy if they have a starter they think is good.

I dont even want to talk about Sam, because any sane GM would get rid of him right away. Wasnt worth the risk the first time around, certainly isnt worth it with another injury having him ride the pine.

Teddy is somewhat interesting. No one knows what he has. The usual haters have come out and said their piece, but think about it. Teddy didnt even get as much as Ponder did, and their were Ponder apologist's that thought Ponder might have something. But still think Ponder was keeping around. I personally do think Teddy will demand half of what even Case will want. And that may be worth looking into. I think we improve this line, and Cook is going to take pressure off of whatever QB we end up.

So Cousin and Case would be my target if I were Rick. But let Case know after only 1 good year, he wont be getting a huge contract. And let Cousins know he may get a slightly larger payday, but not one that has a better O, and a better D.

If the Viks know very little about Slotter then why did they protect him like they did? Seems to me they put a lot of effort into keeping other teams away from grabbing him. Guess we'll see
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

autobon7 wrote:
If the Viks know very little about Slotter then why did they protect him like they did? Seems to me they put a lot of effort into keeping other teams away from grabbing him. Guess we'll see
I think we've had practice squad QBs snpied before by other teams. Can't remember off the top of my head but wasn't Tyler Thigpen one? Taylor Heinecke?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maybe we should be going after Nick Foles. Yikes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Maybe we should be going after Nick Foles. Yikes.
I always thought Foles was a decent QB. He can sling the ball real good and having that killer run game made it easy for him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Two things:

- No way the Skins tag Cousins. The only reason they'd consider doing that is to gain leverage to trade him for draft picks, but I don't see any team giving up picks for him on a one-year deal like that, and the risk to the Redskins is huge in that scenario. They'd already have paid in picks to bring Smith on board and have signed him to an extended contract, and then mixing that situation up with Cousins, even if as a result of a blatant attempt to try to wring value out of him with no intent to play him, would be an unprecedented disaster in terms of their cap and team chemistry. They've already mucked around with Cousin's career to this point, and doing this to him given no intent to really play (or pay) him would not sit well with a lot of players on that team I would guess. But if they do pull the trigger and tag him, no way would I want the Vikings to get involved in that hostage situation. Cousins is good and worth a big contract if he hits the open market, but only if he hits the open market. If the Redskins want to play reindeer games, Vikings should sit those out.

- Nick Foles has been unreal the last few games, but, it was the last few games. If I have reservations about Case Keenum based on his recent performances, I would have triple those on a guy like Foles. If I had any confidence he could maintain that level of play over the course of a season, yeah, I'd want the Vikings in on any action that might bring him to Minnesota. I just don't have confidence he can maintain that level of play. Of course, I didn't expect him to play as well in the Superbowl as he did against the Vikings, and while he didn't quite match that level today, he came dang close and threw some really nice balls. So I'd be hesitant to make a move for him, especially after the Vikings already gave Philly a 1st and what will be a 3rd to get Bradford from them. But I do like Foles. He was calm under pressure, saw the field well, made good decisions with the ball, and threw some more incredible passes that only his guys could track down. There is no doubt Philly will go back to Wentz to start next year, and Foles will have serious trade value this offseason. It's something a team like the Vikings could benefit from, or it could burn them badly.

What a situation Spielman finds himself in this offseason at QB. Make the right move and the Vikes are legit Superbowl contenders, and possibly even favorites, heading into next season, tough schedule and all. Make the wrong decision, and an otherwise promising season could be jeopardized. That's why Spielman makes the big bucks, but I feel this decision will make or break him as GM of the Vikings.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

720pete wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
I think we've had practice squad QBs snpied before by other teams. Can't remember off the top of my head but wasn't Tyler Thigpen one? Taylor Heinecke?
Thigpen was snagged before making the PS. Heinicke I think made the PS but was replaced by Slotter.
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

it has to be Foles
sotapopinski
Practice Squad

Post by sotapopinski »

I apologize if this has already been asked, but if Rick/Zim decide to go after Cousins, would it be possible for the Vikes to franchise Case then trade him for assets? Or are there stipulations about trading someone who has just been franchised and/or would that mess up their available salary cap?

Thanks guys

Skol
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

sotapopinski wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked, but if Rick/Zim decide to go after Cousins, would it be possible for the Vikes to franchise Case then trade him for assets? Or are there stipulations about trading someone who has just been franchised and/or would that mess up their available salary cap?

Thanks guys

Skol
Technically. Franchising someone is supposed to be about doing a long term deal with them. However, teams seem to abuse that at whim.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

I haven't seen anything out of Teddy to make me feel he's the man of the future. But let's be honest, none of us have. When he played we didn't have the weapons or the line we have now. I almost feel it hasn't been a fair evaluation. But it's definitely one of those things where SB windows can close quickly. We can't really afford to "try him out" when there are really strong options out there.

I don't follow all the other teams as much anymore, so I defer to you guys who do. It sounds to me like Cousins may be the more proven QB if he's available.

Keenum was great. But I also haven't seen enough consistency out of him to say he's the guy. I love what he's done and believe he needed to play it out this year but I just not super convinced. I just know we need to move on from Bradford and Teddy. Unless Teddy wants to sit as backup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

germannorseman wrote:I haven't seen anything out of Teddy to make me feel he's the man of the future. But let's be honest, none of us have. When he played we didn't have the weapons or the line we have now. I almost feel it hasn't been a fair evaluation. But it's definitely one of those things where SB windows can close quickly. We can't really afford to "try him out" when there are really strong options out there.

I don't follow all the other teams as much anymore, so I defer to you guys who do. It sounds to me like Cousins may be the more proven QB if he's available.

Keenum was great. But I also haven't seen enough consistency out of him to say he's the guy. I love what he's done and believe he needed to play it out this year but I just not super convinced. I just know we need to move on from Bradford and Teddy. Unless Teddy wants to sit as backup.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I hope they move on from all 3--they all seem like great people, but Bradford is not reliable and Case and Teddy seem limited throwing the ball down the field. It might not be accurate, but from what I can recall the offense was bad with Teddy in the redzone.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

sotapopinski wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked, but if Rick/Zim decide to go after Cousins, would it be possible for the Vikes to franchise Case then trade him for assets? Or are there stipulations about trading someone who has just been franchised and/or would that mess up their available salary cap?

Thanks guys

Skol
I don't think there is anything from stopping a team from franchising and then trading. It's just a VERY risky approach since you would have 2 starting QBs on your roster with very high salaries. If you don't find a trading partner for 1 of them, you are stuck with them eating up your salary cap.
Damian
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

I hate many of the moves/draft picks Spielman as made but I won't second guess the Bradford move it was the right move just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong move with the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say.

That Bradford move showed the Vikes they think they are an experienced QB away from a SB.
They will make a move for an experienced QB again:
I would look at Cousins and Foles and maybe Case if they think the year was not a fluke - Bradford is injury prone and Teddy is overrated
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

tzinc wrote:I hate many of the moves/draft picks Spielman as made but I won't second guess the Bradford move it was the right move just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong move with the benefit of hindsight it is easy to say.

That Bradford move showed the Vikes they think they are an experienced QB away from a SB.
They will make a move for an experienced QB again:
I would look at Cousins and Foles and maybe Case if they think the year was not a fluke - Bradford is injury prone and Teddy is overrated
Agreed 100%. And still, Bradford wasnt the problem in 2016. So it's hard to fault Spielman regarding that move. If I was him I probably would have made it too. Instead of letting our season rot because we had no other option.

As for what QBs to look at, Foles could be just as much of a fluke as Case. I really dont trust Foles anymore than I do Keenum.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri