Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by halfgiz »

New Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo offered his insights into Case Keenum, Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/M ... -115204184
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

You know what Kapp, I don't like you, or your tone so how about this? You look me up if the Minnesota Vikings franchise tag Case Keenum for 2018 and then maybe we'll speak coherently. Either way; trust me I couldn't care less. I hope they do get Keenum back, somehow, someway but I'm sick of this team losing and if that rubs off on you the wrong way too bad. I couldn't possibly care less what you think.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

halfgiz wrote:New Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo offered his insights into Case Keenum, Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/M ... -115204184

Sounds like the Vikings got DeFilippo at the right time with this big decision coming up.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mosscarter wrote:You know what Kapp, I don't like you, or your tone so how about this? You look me up if the Minnesota Vikings franchise tag Case Keenum for 2018 and then maybe we'll speak coherently. Either way; trust me I couldn't care less. I hope they do get Keenum back, somehow, someway but I'm sick of this team losing and if that rubs off on you the wrong way too bad. I couldn't possibly care less what you think.
Well, look in the mirror, buddy. Your tone is the worst on this board. You're condescending, you never offer a link or facts, and virtually every time you post, you tear somebody down. I honestly couldn't care less if you're right. I just get sick of your insults. So when you post garbage like "The news is already out that they aren't using the franchise tag, how about discussing something relevant?" I'm going to call you on it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:I loved Jimmy G in that years draft. Hes only gotten better with the coaching staff and mentor he had. Vikings simply cant find anyone worth a sh!t in the draft.
Well we also haven’t drafted a QB in 7 years
I'm assuming you meant to say something else because they've drafted 2 in the past 7 years, both in the first round. Ponder was drafted in 2011 and Bridgewater was drafted in 2014. I realize were 1.5 months into 2018 but that's still two first round QBs in the last 7 drafts.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of Teddy. But I was basically saying since Ponder
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

They won't franchise Keenum, but maybe they will franchise Joe Kapp.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mosscarter wrote:You know what Kapp, I don't like you, or your tone so how about this? You look me up if the Minnesota Vikings franchise tag Case Keenum for 2018 and then maybe we'll speak coherently. Either way; trust me I couldn't care less. I hope they do get Keenum back, somehow, someway but I'm sick of this team losing and if that rubs off on you the wrong way too bad. I couldn't possibly care less what you think.
And what makes you so confident in Case Keenum? He could easily be a product of Shurmurs system. He’s my second choice but I still take Cousins any day of the week over him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

And what makes you so confident in Case Keenum? He could easily be a product of Shurmurs system. He’s my second choice but I still take Cousins any day of the week over him
I really hope I dont sound as petty and hateful as MossCarter. I have him on ignore, again, but I see him in quotes.

Theres a lot of QBs, other then Case, that people feel can be judged bye their most recent work. Case put up nice wins, numbers and stats. I hate when people just cherry pick some stats. I too hope Cousins is out QB, but NOT if its going to cost us players on the D (other then Barr, I think he can be replaced easiers then some as he is over-rated sometimes-it would still suck to lose him though). But if Cousin costs us something like Waynes and Kendricks, no way I would support that. The D is the reason we would have a good shot with Cousins to maybe make the SB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
I really hope I dont sound as petty and hateful as MossCarter. I have him on ignore, again, but I see him in quotes.

Theres a lot of QBs, other then Case, that people feel can be judged bye their most recent work. Case put up nice wins, numbers and stats. I hate when people just cherry pick some stats. I too hope Cousins is out QB, but NOT if its going to cost us players on the D (other then Barr, I think he can be replaced easiers then some as he is over-rated sometimes-it would still suck to lose him though). But if Cousin costs us something like Waynes and Kendricks, no way I would support that. The D is the reason we would have a good shot with Cousins to maybe make the SB.
I feel that way too but if we can continue to draft well, and land Cousins we should be fine. Maybe if we took a good LB in the first two rounds, it would be easy to let Barr go. Or a good DE and let Hunter go? Two guys I do not wanna lose is Waynes and Kendricks. Not big on losing Hunter but Arden Key, the DE from LSU is a freak of nature and a superb pass rusher. However he has some off field issues. He could fall to us because of that. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxzMh8ASB4 Watch this dude and tell me you wouldn’t want him

I don’t know it’s a really tough call. Their are also some guys we can cut to save cap room too
-Chazz Palminteri
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I feel that way too but if we can continue to draft well, and land Cousins we should be fine. Maybe if we took a good LB in the first two rounds, it would be easy to let Barr go. Or a good DE and let Hunter go? Two guys I do not wanna lose is Waynes and Kendricks. Not big on losing Hunter but Arden Key, the DE from LSU is a freak of nature and a superb pass rusher. However he has some off field issues. He could fall to us because of that. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxzMh8ASB4 Watch this dude and tell me you wouldn’t want him

I don’t know it’s a really tough call. Their are also some guys we can cut to save cap room too

we can resign barr long term and get cousins. I don't know where people are getting this from. Barr is this years worry, we have a few coming up afterwards but as of right now they can lock barr up and have more than enough cap room to throw at cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I am very torn about the QB situation for next year. I go back and forth running different scenarios in my head.. so basically I am a true Vikings fan.
I would like to be able to address an issue in an earlier post about Cousins and his relationship to teammates and the idea of him rubbing people the wrong way.
I know the only way to really know is to actually be in the locker room and in the huddle with him. I myself cannot speak with knowledge of the issue, but I can confidently share the opinion of someone who has.
I personally know one of the starting O lineman who protected Cousins , and RG3 for their careers up until this past season when he retired. I also work with his older brother and talk to him on a daily basis.
I know his opinions on RG3. That is as far as I will go on that subject.
As for Cousins, I can tell you that by his account the guy is loved and respected by his lineman and the major majority of the team. I am sure, that as in all work settings , there may some who don't love the guy, but from what I have been told he is a great leader, a great teammate and an even greater human being.
That being said, there is also the feeling that he just can't win the really big games when it really counts.
The feeling is that he definitely has the ability, and if he really had the weapons around him that he could be great, BUT can he be elite and win it all??
But by what I've been told, again this coming from someone who was right in front of Cousins for his career, is that the man truly has the respect of his teammates.
AsI said, I don't really know who I want, but what I DO want is for us to finally get a true bona fide franchise QB, and just let me see the confetti fall on our Vikings at least once before I die. And to stop having to think" Maybe next year." I am really so tired of living that!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Theres a lot of QBs, other then Case, that people feel can be judged bye their most recent work. Case put up nice wins, numbers and stats. I hate when people just cherry pick some stats. I too hope Cousins is out QB, but NOT if its going to cost us players on the D (other then Barr, I think he can be replaced easiers then some as he is over-rated sometimes-it would still suck to lose him though). But if Cousin costs us something like Waynes and Kendricks, no way I would support that. The D is the reason we would have a good shot with Cousins to maybe make the SB.[/quote]

I don’t know it’s a really tough call. Their are also some guys we can cut to save cap room too[/quote]

I'm not ready to walk away from Hunter....especially if Robison may retire.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

autobon7 wrote:
I’m just saying if we drafted someone like Arden Key it would be easier to walk away from Hunter. I’m not ready to dump him either . I’m just saying that if we sign cousins and we’re worried about losing a certain player on D the following year, we should draft that position in the early rounds this year so we have a replacement if that were to happen
-Chazz Palminteri
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

autobon7 wrote:
I’m just saying if we drafted someone like Arden Key it would be easier to walk away from Hunter. I’m not ready to dump him either . I’m just saying that if we sign cousins and we’re worried about losing a certain player on D the following year, we should draft that position in the early rounds this year so we have a replacement if that were to happen
Arden Key, yes please.

a mock that concurs... :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ns-take-qb
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Out of what I posted, all you saw was the stuff about the Cincy game? :lol: I was using the "happy feet" thing as an example. Is he going to be shaky in the pocket because of the injury?

And I truly think it's hilarious that you're using Bradfords game vs Chicago as part of this argument. He literally couldnt walk. And Keenum snatched the starting job right out of his hands?? lol. Bradford wasnt near healthy at the time, so who else was going to start?? Kyle Sloter? Bradford would've continued to be the starter if he was healthy by week 5 but he wasnt.
I read all of it, but it just came off like you were attempting to discredit Bridgewater as a viable option based off of one performance. I can see how you'd wonder about Bridgewater's condition having an impact on the way that he's going to be able to perform, especially with a significant knee injury, but Bridgewater has always had game and I doubt that's gone. As far as happy feet goes, every QB has happy feet when their offensive line isn't playing very well, and Teddy was behind some pretty damn awful offensive lines in case you've forgotten. I didn't really respond to that because that's usually the go-to argument for my dad when he's drunk and wants to sound like he knows what he's talking about, but doesn't know how to deliver an articulate criticism. :lol:

As for the Bradford thing, I think it's hilarious how you say that Bradford literally couldn't walk when he was clearly able to walk onto the field and play, and also could run for some reason despite the fact that he literally was unable to walk - lol. Also, as overstated as your point may be, it just makes it worse that there might some slight truth to it because it brings us back to questions about the condition of HIS knee, which has repeatedly flared up, been torn, etc. over the years dating back to college.
As for Cousins, you're ignoring the rest of the Redskins team and how bad they were and using that against Cousins. Bottom barrel defense since Cousins took over, 28th in rushing this past year, had a #1 WR of Pryor/Crowder, had a bad OL and was missing his best player in Jordan Reed most of the year. But yeah I cant believe Kirk Cousins didnt make the playoffs this year. :confused:

And they did make the playoffs. In 2015 and caught the packers in the first round. The Redskins won the division. Cousins threw for 329 and no turnovers and their awful defense gave up 35 points.

As for Teddy, yeah, I would be all for bringing him back as a backup. But to just rely on him being the starter going into next year is as dumb as dumb gets IMO. But is he a viable starter, we still do not know.
On Cousins - for starters, his offensive line was never bad and have typically been one of the top units in the league while he's been there and all of the stats support this. If you feel so inclined, google PFF's rankings for the top offensive line units in 2017 and 2016, the Redskins are ranked pretty high. As for the receiving corps, he had Vernon Davis, Reed, and Pryor was coming off a 1,000 yard season in Cleveland and Cousins wasn't able to do much with him. Your argument seems to want to make all of the excuses for him, but doesn't want to criticize much of what he wasn't able to do. I think Cousins is good, but certainly not worth 30M+ per year, and I'm hoping that the Vikings go in a different direction.

I never said we should make Teddy the starter, but I think if his knee is okay and the rest of his tool set isn't impacted by the injury, Teddy has the game to be a viable starter and his previous stats definitely do back that up. Whether he's capable of playing up to his former ability or not definitely does remain to be seen. We'll have to wait to find out no matter what.